PDA

View Full Version : gm events on live for velious launch

elessin alkabor
07-24-2015, 02:08 AM
title says it all, asking out there to any real old schoolers who played when velious actually dropped, was there any sort of gm event leading up to or on launch day itself? i know the kunark storyline somewhat followed firiona vie being kidnapped by iksars etc and some gm events following this. have always been curious.

Swish
07-24-2015, 06:48 AM
I remember there definitely was for Kunark, don't remember a Velious one on Prexus/Lanys/wherever I was though :(

Nuggie
07-24-2015, 08:46 AM
only gm events i really recall is that one where they give that good wiz staff away.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 08:53 AM
The wiz staff was Luclin was it not?

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 09:45 AM
GM event - Wipe it clean; start over with actual timeline.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 09:46 AM
GM event - Wipe it clean; start over with actual timeline.

And server wide rotation on raid mobs so it isn't a shit show.

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 09:47 AM
And server wide rotation on raid mobs so it isn't a shit show.

Not classic.

Swish
07-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Not classic.

Neither is creating 2 VP keyed zerg guilds who refuse to compete outside of the welfare tier but people seem to like it.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Not classic.

It was on half the classic servers... So, we've done the 1 half with no rotation. Now the new half will be with rotation.

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Neither is creating 2 VP keyed zerg guilds who refuse to compete outside of the welfare tier but people seem to like it.

You make it sound like I support that. I've tried merging the top 2 guilds for a year now; once successfully and then about a year later not-so-successfully.

I'd rather see a single guild dominating all the content, eliminating any possibility for welfare pixels.

Swish
07-24-2015, 09:57 AM
You make it sound like I support that. I've tried merging the top 2 guilds for a year now; once successfully and then about a year later not-so-successfully.

I'd rather see a single guild dominating all the content, eliminating any possibility for welfare pixels.

At this point, I agree... or at least get those welfare guilds to merge and contest.

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 09:57 AM
It was on half the classic servers... So, we've done the 1 half with no rotation. Now the new half will be with rotation.

Weren't you the big swingin' in Velious on live? Time to shake Taken and run with the big boys for this half - you had your casual fun now it's time to grow some bawls.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Are we talking about Re-99 still or P99? Cause it seems like we are on different pages.

I am not advocating a rotation system on P99, won't work. But on Re-99, if you stamp that into the core of the server before it begins, that will solve a lot of issue that P99 faced. A more accurate timeline will solve another set of issues P99 faced. It should make for a very nice and friendly server.

Swish
07-24-2015, 10:02 AM
I am not advocating a rotation system on P99, won't work.

You're already in one. Class R. Lockouts =

Trakanon 1 - BDA
Trakanon 2 - Taken
Trakanon 3 - Omni/Europa/Azure Guard/etc

rinse/repeat..with the occasional FFA version to make it look like its not a small rotation.

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Are we talking about Re-99 still or P99? Cause it seems like we are on different pages.

I am not advocating a rotation system on P99, won't work. But on Re-99, if you stamp that into the core of the server before it begins, that will solve a lot of issue that P99 faced. A more accurate timeline will solve another set of issues P99 faced. It should make for a very nice and friendly server.

P99 will eventually just become Re-99, thus the absurdity of a rotation will be just as absurd in the carryover.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 10:19 AM
False. Create the climate you wish to have by establishing rules before it is launched.

Want a shit show, have full variance where raids poopsocking and directly compete, and petition because someone doesn't drop Trakanon to 99% at 20 seconds but instead at 24 seconds into the encounter! THE HORROR!

Want to have a raid environment where all may participate, have rotations that lock people out from contesting those mobs again for several spawns. Allow guilds to use whatever strategies they wish (outside of clear exploits), and play on your terms not some retarded petition quest terms.

The climate and Mindsets here are set in stone and can't be altered after 5 years. However on a new server they have a blank slate and they may set the tone as they see fit.

How's Red going Unbrella?

Ella`Ella
07-24-2015, 10:29 AM
The spirit of EQ isn't about rotations - which were player arrangements on live, not GM enforced. Instancing wasn't a concept we had to compare to either.

I don't want a shit show, I don't want variance, I don't want welfare pixels either. If you're not willing to learn your class, play your class well and show up on time to raids you don't deserve more than you can acquire on your own time.

I guess one solution to having 4am batphones would be to kill variance is when mobs spawn times start to drift, Rogean resets them back to a reasonable non-virgin time of day. But, to say we need a system where 'all guilds are created equal' is toxic to ambition. Plus, you'll end up with 150 guilds each wanting there slice of the pie like you have in Class-R.

And red is going pretty well - I hit 60 on my monk and am getting better at pvp overall. I like the no-variance, but unfortunately mobs spawn at like 8:30am EST on a Tuesday and I'm at work then. VP mobs are spawning at a time I can make, but I don't really see the value in keying my monk. I'm not a contender for a Rile or Robe and I don't need a Trorsmang staff since I already have a T-staff. Maybe I'll key my wizard, who is 54. I don't know yet.

indiscriminate_hater
07-24-2015, 10:31 AM

Did you guys script this beforehand?

bktroost
07-24-2015, 11:11 AM
What are GMs?

wormed
07-24-2015, 11:30 AM

By people you mean Rampage, BDA and Taken. :p

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
By people you mean Rampage, BDA and Taken. :p

Azure Guard, Omni and Europa like it too. In fact because they were able to split raid during the rotation more, They likely have more VP keys as a conglomerate than BDA or Taken does. Unless they were selling the Teeth I guess?

Swish
07-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Azure Guard, Omni and Europa like it too. In fact because they were able to split raid during the rotation more, They likely have more VP keys as a conglomerate than BDA or Taken does.

Want to elaborate on that?

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Taken and BDA have never killed a contested FFA Trakanon because poopsocking with 2-4 mages and 4-8 warriors and clerics for 16 hours continually refreshing buffs is the epitome of the retardation that is P99 competition.

As such, all of their Trak's Teeth have come from Class R kills. Each guild in the rotation got an equal number of Trak kills during the rotation. While it lasted it's year, each guild in that alliance got 1 kill each (3 total kills) to Taken or BDA's 1 kill. During which time they gained more teeth, as a single entity. Now, in post-rotation era, Taken, BDA and CSG get 1 kill each as the lockouts dictate.

Because of this, they likely have more keys/teeth if you're considering the CSG a single unit.

Just as a point of importance when you want to stress what guilds are those sitting on massive numbers of VP keys. Atleast, for Taken I know this to be the case. I forget what the server history of BDA is pre 2013. Maybe they were getting keys back then and I'm wrong about their key number.

Swish
07-24-2015, 12:26 PM
If we start going back beyond 2 years I'm sure a lot of people in receipt of those trak teeth have either quit or moved guilds (or in the case of some of the smaller R guilds, sold the teeth, I'm fairly certain Moonlight Crusaders had a couple of sellers).

But if you're sitting on 70-80 VP keyed characters surely it's time to fly off and try some Class C? Allow new guilds leveling to flourish rather than disband as people leave to app to the Taken/BDA zergs?

I'd be interested to know how many VP keys AG/Europa/Omni has combined, with the more casual nature of those players I'd say a lot aren't active or have moved on.

wormed
07-24-2015, 12:46 PM
If we start going back beyond 2 years I'm sure a lot of people in receipt of those trak teeth have either quit or moved guilds (or in the case of some of the smaller R guilds, sold the teeth, I'm fairly certain Moonlight Crusaders had a couple of sellers).

But if you're sitting on 70-80 VP keyed characters surely it's time to fly off and try some Class C? Allow new guilds leveling to flourish rather than disband as people leave to app to the Taken/BDA zergs?

I'd be interested to know how many VP keys AG/Europa/Omni has combined, with the more casual nature of those players I'd say a lot aren't active or have moved on.

They really don't have that many.

Daldaen
07-24-2015, 01:43 PM
I can tell you Taken has 64. Of those 3-4 were bought, 2-3 came in from former Class C members and 4 of them are on people who had previous mains keyed and then swapped mains and got those new mains keyed - not by virtue of them being greedy, it's just those were the only players with 3 medallions complete when we got a 5-tooth Trakanon.

Looking through that list, Atleast 10 haven't raided in the past 3~ or so months. Plus I think 3-4 not included in the previous total, have since left the guild. Until our last two kills, we only had 2 clerics also (1 euro and 1 U.S. Time zone).

So in actuality, we have around a 40 maximum toon force available for VP. And again, about 20% of them are non-US time zone, and they don't always all log on for a batphone.

In order for Taken to compete currently in VP we would need to shift from our pretty typical 25% raid attendance to more like 80% among those keyed members (I'd say the keyed members tend to have higher than the guild average, closer to 40%).

I'm sure you have fun poking and prodding about jumping to Class C, but as the system stands and as retarded as the gatekeeper mob (Trakanon) is to compete on, it's just not feasible for any guild to make that jump.

To give a more tangible example - Our most recent Class R Trak kill spawned on a weekday around 9-10 PM EST (our most active time slot). We had 54 members in attendance (lolzerg, but Class R we want everyone to have a chance to run over and participate). Of those 54 members, only 20 held a VP key.

I mention that to illustrate, during our BEST time slot, on arguably one of the most valuable pixel mobs we kill... We batphoned and allowed 10-20 minutes of running and CotHing... And STILL only 20 keyed members were in attendance. We would be burning a shitload of SoulFire trying to kill VP mobs with those 20 members.

Casuals gonna be casual :/.

PS - Nice thread derail, I had to look to remember what this topic was originally about

wormed
07-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Just stop. It's getting sad at this point.

Susvain2
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I can tell you Taken has 64. Of those 3-4 were bought, 2-3 came in from former Class C members and 4 of them are on people who had previous mains keyed and then swapped mains and got those new mains keyed - not by virtue of them being greedy, it's just those were the only players with 3 medallions complete when we got a 5-tooth Trakanon.

Looking through that list, Atleast 10 haven't raided in the past 3~ or so months. Plus I think 3-4 not included in the previous total, have since left the guild. Until our last two kills, we only had 2 clerics also (1 euro and 1 U.S. Time zone).

So in actuality, we have around a 40 maximum toon force available for VP. And again, about 20% of them are non-US time zone, and they don't always all log on for a batphone.

In order for Taken to compete currently in VP we would need to shift from our pretty typical 25% raid attendance to more like 80% among those keyed members (I'd say the keyed members tend to have higher than the guild average, closer to 40%).

I'm sure you have fun poking and prodding about jumping to Class C, but as the system stands and as retarded as the gatekeeper mob (Trakanon) is to compete on, it's just not feasible for any guild to make that jump.

To give a more tangible example - Our most recent Class R Trak kill spawned on a weekday around 9-10 PM EST (our most active time slot). We had 54 members in attendance (lolzerg, but Class R we want everyone to have a chance to run over and participate). Of those 54 members, only 20 held a VP key.

I mention that to illustrate, during our BEST time slot, on arguably one of the most valuable pixel mobs we kill... We batphoned and allowed 10-20 minutes of running and CotHing... And STILL only 20 keyed members were in attendance. We would be burning a shitload of SoulFire trying to kill VP mobs with those 20 members.

PS - Nice thread derail, I had to look to remember what this topic was originally about

can anyone help me? my back hurts

i just threw it out cringing so hard

WizardEQ
07-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Thought this was going to be a thread about possible cool GM events and NOT another shitty thread to pour out individual grief. Unbelievable.

Here's an idea for a nice GM event. Have spells be hidden somewhere in an impossibly sneaky place in the world. It can be cast from a totem with one charge:

Guardians of the Galactic Manastones: Channels the will of the Orbkeeper (a lvl 60 druid) to change the weather (tornado-based) in the current zone. Consumes a level-60 character in your group when cast (nothing as trivial as a mere Opal). This toon will be lost forever in the 5-dimensional tesseract (see notes: Interstellar). This spell has one effect when cast, that it will turn on a mini Manastonado that will produce the effect of a few Manastones [usable anywhere] (4-8, whatever the GM's deem a few) circling in a tornado at the upper-bound of the z-axis, then falling upon unsuspecting people, killing them instantly with 32,000 Pain and Suffering. The manastones then become almost invisible 2-dimensional polygonal wraiths, like the elusive Yew leaves in Wakening Lands, but still Everpresent! The survivors, clicking feverishly with their mice, hoping to gather up a most coveted treasure (at least one, at most one, and therefore exactly one) and be forever looked upon in awe in the annals of Rogean's World.

Would be such an epic event!

bktroost
07-24-2015, 03:19 PM

We have about 20, though it's more like 15 active people.

I believe Europa has less because they always get left out of the earthquake fun, seeing as they never get a late am pop.

Dirtynads
07-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Gadd has spoken!!
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203495

sacman08
07-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Let's get this back on track: GM events not classic!

JurisDictum
07-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Man take it a bit easy on the devs. There will prob be more events come re99. The important thing was to get velious up and running well

WizardEQ
07-28-2015, 12:38 AM
Let's get this back on track: GM events not classic!

Haha nice work at the sarcasm.

GM events were throughout servers on Live. I remember artifacts handed out for things like coolest joke. We need far more events here, especially that we are our own server with no official ties. I know that takes time, but those events were huge morale boosts.

I guess Velious is going to fill peoples minds for the next few months at the least.

webrunner5
07-29-2015, 01:14 PM
I guess Velious is going to fill peoples minds for the next few months at the least.

Well it will probably have to fill peoples minds for years to come, since it is the end game. :eek::eek: