PDA

View Full Version : Classic EQ and Luclin Models

Tiewon Shu
08-01-2015, 10:08 AM
For almost all people, classic EQ is about classic gameplay.

That said, most of us live in 2015 with better PC's. I want better graphics, not blocky Minecraft/TROVE/Lego World. If the engine is capable of the Luclin graphics, it should not matter how one wants to see their avatars. The game play is still classic, and that is what should be the most important element.

If the developers are truly striving for a classic server then they should remove all "non classic" content and elements they have either added or chose to ignore. They should not add "custom' content after Velious as it is "not classic."

What's important is that Luclin graphics, while "not classic" in the developers minds, certainly does not ruin the "spirit of Everquest."

So I challenge any developer now to answer me this:

If you are going to add custom content later in the "spirit of EQ," how is that classic? And how is that different than allowing Luclin graphics? How would the Luclin graphics ruin the spirit of EQ as a suggested "custom content," where as a new zone/item/monster would not?

Erati
08-01-2015, 10:13 AM
QQ

mystang89
08-01-2015, 10:28 AM
I think it's a valid question. Wouldn't mind an answer myself. I've been thinking for a while about this whole"classic" stuff. If something was broken or hindered the enjoyment of the game back then..... Why keep it in the game now to hinder the enjoyment?
Can't we make the game still have that classic feel to it but make the game better than it was back then?

Just thinking out loud.

kined
08-01-2015, 10:33 AM
im not gonna be one to QQ about it but i also dont see why luclin models should be disabled. alot of classic changes i can get behind.... but i just prefer most of the new models and i think they should leave options for people to have their game look however they want as long as it doesnt have gameplay advantages.

CoffeeBreath
08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Disallowing Luclin models has shit on a day that I've been looking forward to for a long long time. It's like your dad dressing up as Santa and punching you in the dick on Christmas morning. Yeah, it's still Christmas, but I just got punched in the dick and I'm not even into it anymore. I'm going back to bed. Save me some cookies.

ElricX
08-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Allow Luclin graphics please. I am a fan!
Thanks!

Yippee38
08-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I am quite disappointed over the removal of Luclin models. I'm here for classic "gameplay", not classic looks necessarily. All of my toons are fugly now, and that makes me not want to play them.

Erati
08-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Luclin models were the nail in my EQ coffin - i have no idea why anyone thinks they are good much less something that greatly affects things positively

In Classic - Velious, characters look like they do now

CoffeeBreath
08-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm here for classic "gameplay", not classic looks necessarily.
I get enough of a nostalgia fix just playing the game and seeing the zones, I don't need my iksars to be hideously classic too.

Swish
08-01-2015, 10:45 AM
There were no Luclin models in Velious, not sure what the complaining is about.

Reminds me of the time they took the con color out of the target window, wasn't classic but annoyed a lot of people.

Maybe it's time the Luclin model crowd all rolled bards and went ham on the spell effects...pretty/sparkly whatever the model looks like underneath <3

Arkanjil
08-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I was never a fan of luck in graphics, especially trolls and ogres. The Velious graphics were an "upgrade" to the classic models in a sense.

CoffeeBreath
08-01-2015, 10:53 AM
There were no Luclin models in Velious, not sure what the complaining is about.

Reminds me of the time they took the con color out of the target window, wasn't classic but annoyed a lot of people.

Maybe it's time the Luclin model crowd all rolled bards and went ham on the spell effects...pretty/sparkly whatever the model looks like underneath <3

https://pinknoam.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tumblr_ng30ngfbRU1tvniheo1_400.jpg

Swish
08-01-2015, 10:57 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/Greenstarz/its-on-southpark.gif ... unlike the Luclin models! heeeheheheh

Allidon
08-01-2015, 11:01 AM
I guess they have the right its thier server however before you block a skin that is working how about fixing the plate helms for some of the races... you've made it clear you don't want us messing with things

untergang
08-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I heard that some of the Luclin models allowed for some nasty terrain exploits.

Swish
08-01-2015, 11:10 AM
I heard that some of the Luclin models allowed for some nasty terrain exploits.

Yeah from memory I think it allowed large races to get up on the ramparts in CoM from the flag banner (among probably dozens of other things)

Laugher
08-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Some helms were fixed (not sure how many), did you see those in tech discussion?

mystang89
08-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I can't understand why it matters what my screen looks like? How does that effect anyone else?
It's like a government that sets up laws just fire the same of having them.
Next thing you know we won't be able to have our own UI because if we custom made it, it's not classic.

iruinedyourday
08-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Hopefully we won't be able to have non Velious UI and your tears will be delicious

Rararboker
08-01-2015, 12:55 PM
To everyone saying luclin models only changes looks and don't offer advantages, look around the forum more. They actually offered a lot of gameplay advantages like the thing in CoM or being able to duck out of the stun from T-staff in pvp. There are others as well, most are documented on the forums.

Rivthis
08-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Garbage graphics forced upon us.

Gotta love the spirit of classic people but F this garbage.

untergang
08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I can't understand why it matters what my screen looks like? How does that effect anyone else?

Knowing that you can't see my troll scratching his butt affects me very deeply. I also don't want you seeing him through turd-coated Luclin goggles.

Ele
08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I like the blocking of Luclin models more than the release of Velious.

What a day. What a lovely day!

Ele
08-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I heard subscription refunds are being processed. Stand by.

Laugher
08-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I heard subscription refunds are being processed. Stand by.

lol

On a similar note: Will Velious textures be enforced upon release, and were they way back when? Actually started post-Luclin so have only seen them here with an ini adjustment/texture pack download.

mystang89
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Knowing that you can't see my troll scratching his butt affects me very deeply. I also don't want you seeing him through turd-coated Luclin goggles.

If I were beer goggles to look at your troll butt you wouldn't mind. You'd probably say you wanted a beer or some kinda alcoholic drink too.;)

Ele
08-01-2015, 01:10 PM
lol

On a similar note: Will Velious textures be enforced upon release, and were they way back when? Actually started post-Luclin so have only seen them here with an ini adjustment/texture pack download.

You could turn them off or on via the eqclient.ini. there is a line in there about Velious texture=true or false.

Old world and kunark armor still had original textures. Velious had new optional textures.

iruinedyourday
08-01-2015, 01:18 PM

Bboboo
08-01-2015, 01:42 PM
If you play here you must accept that things you like, that are not classic, will be removed at some point.

Just deal with it.

iruinedyourday
08-01-2015, 01:52 PM
If you play here you must accept that things you like, that are not classic, will be removed at some point.

Just deal with it.

http://youtu.be/ipb7ShGy9U4

milsorgen
08-01-2015, 03:46 PM

You and me both.

http://media1.giphy.com/media/14qa6jf3Xf6ftu/giphy.gif

Daldaen
08-01-2015, 03:56 PM
I can't wait until this UI is a requirement to log into P99.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x205/Daldaen/EQ000070.jpg

Seeing everyone raiding with this. Or this:

http://i.imgur.com/CaEQG2H.jpg

Oh that would be so incredible.

Ele
08-01-2015, 04:05 PM
I can't wait until this UI is a requirement to log into P99.

Seeing everyone raiding with this. Or this:

Oh that would be so incredible.

http://i.imgur.com/j8dNuQ1.jpg

uolen
08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
IF they answer you, as they are not obligated in any way shape or form, nor does it benefit them in any way, to cater to you, then they will likely say they do not care what decisions they make that you disagree with. This is a free server made by unpaid folk in their free time. /end

Tiewon Shu
08-01-2015, 09:02 PM
IF they answer you, as they are not obligated in any way shape or form, nor does it benefit them in any way, to cater to you, then they will likely say they do not care what decisions they make that you disagree with. This is a free server made by unpaid folk in their free time. /end

Sure, you can argue that they can say all that buuuut...

I am certain they did not envision creating a classic EQ server to have no one play on it.

Secondly, it's not a free server when they solicit donations from the community that plays it. If they legitimately want to say "F-U, we'll do what we want," to the community, then take down the pay pal donation link. Because My 15 bucks a month for the past months supports their development and server. Which makes me an investor, and therefore have a voice in their project.

Ele
08-01-2015, 09:11 PM

I am certain they did not envision creating a classic EQ server to have no one play on it.

Secondly, it's not a free server when they solicit donations from the community that plays it. If they legitimately want to say "F-U, we'll do what we want," to the community, then take down the pay pal donation link. Because My 15 bucks a month for the past months supports their development and server. Which makes me an investor, and therefore have a voice in their project.

Nilbog's goal is to recreate a museum quality replica of classic eq since it does not exist anywhere else and has said he would strive for it even if no one played here.

The server is quite free to play. You choose to donate of your own free will and it entitles you to nothing extra. Your donation pays for server maintence not dev/CSR time.

Rararboker
08-01-2015, 09:15 PM

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."

To the rest of your post. Wow, you sound like an extreme douche. Plzshutupandleave.

rollin5k
08-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Luclin models literally unusable 90s garbage.

mgellan
08-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Excuse me, I think you're mistaken the project Staff and Devs for someone who actually gives a shit what your personal preferences are. Easy to do I know but just saying. Please return to playing the free game they have created for you. Thenkew!

Regards,
Mg

Grimjaw
08-01-2015, 09:37 PM
That said, most of us live in 2015 with better PC's. I want better graphics, not blocky Minecraft/TROVE/Lego World.
uhh arent those 2015 games?

milsorgen
08-01-2015, 09:47 PM

https://i.imgur.com/qz2Ppk2.jpg

westtell4
08-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE

mwatt
08-01-2015, 10:18 PM

You are an ingrate and ungracious sir. There is an "entitled" feeling to your posts. This is all offered gratis, donate link or not. Even if you were to donate, which likely you did not, you are entitled to NOTHING. Plus you stole fizzy lifting drinks. Good DAY sir!

DeadlyReza
08-01-2015, 10:44 PM
You are an ingrate and ungracious sir. There is an "entitled" feeling to your posts. This is all offered gratis, donate link or not. Even if you were to donate, which likely you did not, you are entitled to NOTHING. Plus you stole fizzy lifting drinks. Good DAY sir!

Amen

Just because u donate doesnt make u an investor, u clearly dont understand how donations work...

All your entitled to is proof the money goes to the project, how and what area that ends up in is none or your/our business.

Get off your high horse and just be thankful it exists... or leave... either way, if you are acting like this P1999 does not want your money, time, or pixels

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/good-day-sir.gif

symbi0nt
08-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Whelp, this was nothing less than I total fucking bummer to come back to from a Saturday at work. Cheers.

Bristlebaner
08-02-2015, 12:45 AM
Not classic. That is all. They are also terribad looking.

Droog007
08-02-2015, 01:10 AM
If you like Luclin graphics, I'm glad you are sad and mad - because you are a terrible person and deserve no happiness in life.

I say this with absolutely no sarcasm. I want you to suffer.

khanable
08-02-2015, 01:22 AM
If you like Luclin graphics, I'm glad you are sad and mad - because you are a terrible person and deserve no happiness in life.

I say this with absolutely no sarcasm. I want you to suffer.

Winter
08-02-2015, 04:11 AM
i've used Luclin graphic I like the models I see no harm for me using them because it's just me seeing them.

why cant I continue to use them ?

westtell4
08-02-2015, 04:27 AM
i've used Luclin graphic I like the models I see no harm for me using them because it's just me seeing them.

why cant I continue to use them ?
just chillax this will blow over in a few month's when they have a mass exodus and people stat to leave luclin character models were quite popular and getting ridding of them them they have basically doomed them self's

westtell4
08-02-2015, 05:17 AM
OK they need to add a Edit button i ment that people will leave because luclin character models were quite popular and getting rid of them why have basically doomed them selfs

Swish
08-02-2015, 05:43 AM
Remember the aim of this Project is to recreate classic EverQuest... we didn't have Luclin models in Velious.

PEQ / Project 2002 etc awaits you if you really are leaving :(

Llodd
08-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Sorry bud, but there wont be a mass exodus and luclin models wont be back. Ever.

Requoted this as you dont appear to have read it:

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."

Zinyen
08-02-2015, 07:03 AM
What's important is that Luclin graphics, while "not classic" in the developers minds, certainly does not ruin the "spirit of Everquest."

it completely destroys the spirit of classic everquest. you obviously didnt play live classic- luclin graphics came with luclin, which was the the first step towards EQ being ruined.

Zinyen
08-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Luclin models were the nail in my EQ coffin - i have no idea why anyone thinks they are good much less something that greatly affects things positively

In Classic - Velious, characters look like they do now

SERIOUSLY! I think they look terrible, but I don't argue things like that with people anymore. Nice to see someone who agrees though.

Zinyen
08-02-2015, 07:09 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR7HuJK_zPM

JurisDictum
08-02-2015, 07:41 AM
I started this server with Luclin models on, then turned them off after awhile. I have to agree with most the posters here that they simply didn't fit the world pre-luclin. I don't agree that it's really anyone's business but the person playing, however.
A lot of people simply like the way Luclin graphics look a lot better. If they want to go out of there way to get them, I really don't understand the counter-argument.

This is not like the con rings...because those actually impacted the game in various ways. The same with spell graphics...a lot of new spell graphics were much easier to notice/identify.

Luclin graphics doesn't have any impact outside the user. The only exception I can think of is screenshots/fraps...so what.

It's pretty stupid to get into arguments about taste. I'm guessing most people in the world would look at both sets of graphics and say Luclin is better. It's important to note that some people just like this game...it's not all about nostalgia. If a game like EQ classic only newer and better came out, I'd be gone. But it doesn't look like that's happening soon. And even if it did, the perpetual rat wheel of MMOs might drive me back here anyway.

Swish
08-02-2015, 08:07 AM
How awful would Mistmoore look with Luclin NPC models?

jarshale
08-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Everyone's entitled as fuck around here.

mystang89
08-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Remember the aim of this Project is to recreate classic EverQuest... we didn't have Luclin models in Velious.

PEQ / Project 2002 etc awaits you if you really are leaving :(

What's PeQ?

Tiewon Shu
08-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Nilbog's goal is to recreate a museum quality replica of classic eq since it does not exist anywhere else and has said he would strive for it even if no one played here.

That is completely not true, as he allows many non classic things in P99, and has openly admitted to it.

You choose to donate of your own free will and it entitles you to nothing extra.

Actually you are wrong. A US donor can implicitly dictate where their charitable donation is allocated, unless the entity seeking charity does the following:

1. Explicitly notes how their donations are handled.
2. Provide the public with records of their income and expense transactions. Neither of which P99 has not done.

Your donation pays for server maintence not dev/CSR time.

See above. Without public records of their transactions from their donations, you cannot make that statement.

That said, if they are taking donations from the community, the community (at least the US community) as a whole does have a say as to where their donations are spent.

Nads
08-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Lol I didn't read any of that trash.

Ele
08-02-2015, 11:12 AM
That is completely not true, as he allows many non classic things in P99, and has openly admitted to it.

And Luclin models are no longer one of those. Other changes are easily reversed and were implemented to fix the raid scene and/or reduce the amount of policing required by GMs.

Actually you are wrong. A US donor can implicitly dictate where their charitable donation is allocated, unless the entity seeking charity does the following:

1. Explicitly notes how their donations are handled.
2. Provide the public with records of their income and expense transactions. Neither of which P99 has not done.

Please do tell us where P99 is established as a charitable organization. Do you try to deduct your charitable donation from your income taxes?

Can you show us a screen cap of your Paypal donation with the note: "For Luclin Models only."

See above. Without public records of their transactions from their donations, you cannot make that statement.

That said, if they are taking donations from the community, the community (at least the US community) as a whole does have a say as to where their donations are spent.

The owners of the server have publicly stated as much in the past that donations goes to server maintenance/bandwidth.

You aren't going to win this argument and suddenly get Luclin models restored. Just stop and find a game that makes you happy.

Synthlol
08-02-2015, 11:24 AM
If you're upset about this change because you care about graphic resolution in your video games, you might not belong here.

If you're upset about this change because you came to EQ later than Velious and you see Luclin models as the normal EQ models, you probably don't belong here.

If you're upset about this change because you were pleased when Luclin ruined the majesty of the classic EQ models, you definitely don't belong here.

This server is for people who share Nilbog's dream and vision of reliving old school EQ. Some of us really appreciate all he does to make things like they were. It's not perfect, but he's trying and doing a damn fine job. It's not perfect, but it's the best attempt that's been made and the best choice among EMU servers.

If you don't share Nilbog's vision, then this server is not for you. You may play on it and feel like all the time you've invested gives you some sort of right to make demands and whine and complain, but it doesn't.

If you don't like it, leave. You will not be missed.

heartbrand
08-02-2015, 11:24 AM
If I ever have to play in 1st person im out

Jimjam
08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
You've ruined your own models, you won't ruin ours, Luclin!

Tecmos Deception
08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
If you are going to add custom content later in the "spirit of EQ," how is that classic?

"Classic" isn't simply classic.

"Classic" can mean classic mechanics and/or classic experience.

Even if the server were a 100% perfect recreation of the mechanics and features present back in the day (i.e. classic mechanics), the server wouldn't have a truly classic experience because the playerbase is so much different now.

On the other hand, assuming it is somehow possible to recreate the exact feelings we all had playing EQ for the first time (i.e. classic experience), the only way to do that would be with a ton of mechanics and features that did NOT exist back in the day, which would leave us learning anew how the game works and what the zones look like and stuff.

Adding custom content can be "classic" by using mechanics that are reminiscent of those in old EQ, but that aren't actually from old EQ, which help recreate the feelings we all had when experiencing EQ for the first time back in the day.

Ele
08-02-2015, 11:31 AM
If I ever have to play in 1st person im out

You can always switch to 3rd person with F9 and constantly fiddle with the camera to keep the angle correct!

Danyelle
08-02-2015, 11:38 AM
As the person who initially made the patch that all of this is about, you're all acting like children. both parties.

Oh wahhh someone likes something i don't like! Rape and murder them and eat their organs they deserve it!

Oh wahhh the devs, who have every right to do so, removed a feature that was unofficial to begin with and doesn't meet up with the direction the server is intended to head! They are Nazis and Satan incarnate and should be destroyed!

Grow the fuck up. All of you. It's done, it's over. They aren't coming back. If you don't like the game without Luclin models, leave. There is a Live game still and tons of emu servers that have the model enabled. You can also just play without them. If you don't like the Luclin models, cool we get it, you're the P99 cool kid, you're like the people that smoke weed and don't shut up about it. You 'won' drop it and move on.

For what it's worth, I made the patch because i saw people asking for it and it was simple enough to figure out and put together. I interpreted Nilbog's replies to requests for the models as "I will not spend any time making them as they aren't Classic, but if someone else does, I don't care". The fact no dev ever approached me after it was posted, it wasn't (until now obviously) patched to disable them, and I wasn't even banned, enforced my interpretation of his replies. I was also never addressed about exploits. 90% of them are on Red it seems. I have always thought EQ PvP was dog shit. I can see why someone would like it but it doesn't interest me in EQ's format. So I never encountered the exploits myself. Had someone told me, I'd have taken the patch down.

For those crying that they patched them, stop. It's childish. This is their server, it's free to most of you (and donators do so on their own terms), and the models weren't Classic. They were gracious to allow them for....4 years now? But they had every right to take them down. If that ruins it for you, leave.

And the dogmatic Classicers. Shut up, seriously. You're obnoxious. It's not just insults over an opinion. Some of you are basically advocating violence because someone liked a thing. Holy fuck what are you, 6 years old? You're taking this shit way too fucking seriously.

There's like 900 threads and posts about these models and it's sparked the most drama I've seen since the last time someone uttered the acronym "TMO". I think it's time these discussions died. Just go enjoy Velious for fuck's sake.

Cecily
08-02-2015, 11:50 AM
I always loved your contempt for everyone here. Lol. Hope you're doing well, Danyelle.

Danyelle
08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't hate anyone here, i hate when people act like children. Err....well yeah you're right.

<3 you too :)

Swish
08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Grow the fuck up. All of you. It's done, it's over.

I completely agree, but with the brony avatar this gave me a giggle.

Danyelle
08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Irony is all 3 of my names.

Bristlebaner
08-02-2015, 12:29 PM
just chillax this will blow over in a few month's when they have a mass exodus and people stat to leave luclin character models were quite popular and getting ridding of them them they have basically doomed them self's

If we lose 12 players I think server shall survive.

PDX0621
08-02-2015, 02:11 PM
So now that the Luclin models are blocked, I've seen the that the "face" button under inventory doesn't seem to work either. Am I essentially stuck with whatever classic model face I have?

Droog007
08-02-2015, 05:30 PM
So now that the Luclin models are blocked, I've seen the that the "face" button under inventory doesn't seem to work either. Am I essentially stuck with whatever classic model face I have?

HAHA ... I rather hope so. While I have much love for original EQ models, some of the faces are pretty bad. At least this way we're pretty certain to have some of those in circulation. We can't all be Denzels, Clooneys, and Pitts...

Or that sexy dark elf chick with the bangs... dang she's cute.

Troxx
08-02-2015, 06:29 PM
stuffstuffstuff.

Join date June 2015.

Level 21.

Raging Butthurt about luclin graphics ...

/facepalm

Skadus
08-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Just deal with it.

Sadly, this isn't "Classic" EQ anymore, expansions have been released, therefore not the fresh out of the box EQ, so if you really want "Classic" Everquest, then by all means, have the Dev(s) remove both expansions

Tiewon Shu
08-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Join date June 2015.

Level 21.

Raging Butthurt about luclin graphics ...

/facepalm

Join Date 2014

Level 57

Still cannot make a cohesive argument.

/rollseyes

Danth
08-04-2015, 04:08 PM
2009 here! If you like the Luclin models that's fine; I don't use em but folks who do don't particularly bother me. On the other hand, anyone who elects to participate on a self-styled classic EQ server ought to accept that non-classic features might disappear at any given time. I wouldn't much like it if the Velious UI were enforced on us (remember Velious had its own interface), but I'm prepared to accept it should that day ever arrive.

Danth

FlipisWin
08-04-2015, 04:31 PM
The luclin graphics being smooshed sucked yea, but I might have been able to adapt. But what I can't adapt to is the community. Good luck keeping a server going when you treat people who recently joined like pure shit. Why in the hell any new player would stay after being treated the way you guys do is beyond me. And the sad part is you people are easily 25-35 years old.
But since its the closest thing to old school EQ mechanics, the server will remain fine. It's the classic mechanics keeping ppl here, NOT CLASSIC, noone gives a fuck about pure classic, not even you "shits not classic" elitist. Not a single person in p99 is playing "totally classic". If people on red are exploiting, who gives a shit. If you play p99 for the pvp you are a fucking idiot. I understand the vision is to be close to classic as possible. And the game at its core is classic, if my models that I alone see are causing this much trouble for everyone else, then there is clearly a way bigger problem at hand

iruinedyourday
08-04-2015, 04:33 PM
http://www.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/bring-it-on-buh-bye.gif

FlipisWin
08-04-2015, 04:52 PM
and point made =)

untergang
08-04-2015, 05:05 PM
2009 here! If you like the Luclin models that's fine; I don't use em but folks who do don't particularly bother me. On the other hand, anyone who elects to participate on a self-styled classic EQ server ought to accept that non-classic features might disappear at any given time. I wouldn't much like it if the Velious UI were enforced on us (remember Velious had its own interface), but I'm prepared to accept it should that day ever arrive.

Danth

The old UI wouldn't look right at 1080p. It was designed for people running the game at 640x480. It would have to be scalable.

kaev
08-04-2015, 05:08 PM
and point made =)

lol, the forum smart-asses are not the poison that tears at the guts of this community. If you can't stand a little bit of snarky "hey dude, this is what we're doing for recreation here, nobody's getting hurt and we're really not interested in your desire to walk in and tell us how we should change it" then you're gonna have an awful lot of disappointments in your life.

mwatt
08-04-2015, 09:37 PM
lol, the forum smart-asses are not the poison that tears at the guts of this community. If you can't stand a little bit of snarky "hey dude, this is what we're doing for recreation here, nobody's getting hurt and we're really not interested in your desire to walk in and tell us how we should change it" then you're gonna have an awful lot of disappointments in your life.

For those complainers... sometimes there is a nice way to say something "negative" about things that are GIVEN to you and if so, it should be said 0 to 1 times. To get up on your high horse, repeating and arguing and lawyering is at BEST obnoxious. This thing doesn't belong to you, stop acting like it does. We're DAMNED lucky it is here. If everything isn't ideal for you, just overlook it if you can, or go away if you can't. Stop uselessly (yes uselessly) dragging down the atmosphere for those that choose to enjoy it.

zerineam
08-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Disregard. I got confused by the "Join Date" of posts and mistook them for "Post Date". Apparently there's no way to change the globaload.txt or load Luclin Graphics.

jarshale
08-04-2015, 09:51 PM
OP has been here a whopping 2 months I'm sure he knows what is best. You should email Rogean and Nilbog and tell them your ideas.

zerineam
08-04-2015, 10:23 PM
So, I went ahead and read this entire thread.... Which is full of very passionate posts. And, since I have an opinion, figured I'd throw it out there, and someone will be willing to rage all over it. I won't read your rage. So have fun.

First off, I did notice that the grand majority of users posting here are actually for Luclin graphics, which makes sense. Why would you bother looking for a thread about Luclin graphics if you were against them.... Unless you just really love looking for a fight.

Second, I'd like to point out that there is one person who can see you screen. I don't know what your graphics look like. Ergo, I don't care what your grahpics look like. If someone found a way to make EQ look like My Little Pony, I don't care. (I'm lying, if you find a way to make EQ look like MLP please post it so I can do that.... that would be freaking awesome.....)

Many companies rage over mods that change the gameplay experience but that is becoming much less common because if you are raging about someone one else's experience then you are spending way too little time in your own life and way too much in other peoples lives. None of my (or anyone else's) decisions or preferences effect you or your own experience in any way shape or form.

The only real effect would be people complaining to the devs that a "player made solution" was not working properly. This, unfortunately, happens alot. The devs work really hard to keep this going and we don't have to pay anything, so we shouldn't really expect anything from them. So quit raging that the devs don't include something.

On that same note, if you are hating on someone who is looking for a different experience. Keep in mind that this IS NOT CLASSIC EQ and any interface that someone chooses to go with WILL NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON YOUR EXPERIENCE AT ALL.

All that said, everyone please quit raging. I'm assuming everyone interested in this is about the age of 30ish by now so lets try and be mature about this and maybe we can find a decent solution to make everyone happy and enjoy an experience similar to what we were looking for in this awesome, ongoing project.

rollin5k
08-04-2015, 10:33 PM
You just wrote an essay which included caps lock, who's raging now kid

Rararboker
08-04-2015, 10:43 PM
First off, I did notice that the grand majority of users posting here are actually for Luclin graphics, which makes sense. Why would you bother looking for a thread about Luclin graphics if you were against them.... Unless you just really love looking for a fight.

Your premise made me curious so I counted the people for and against.

Against Luclin Graphics in the thread: 34
For: 11

What were you saying?

sabersyii
08-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Shouldn't all casters be looking at their books while medding? When was this removed?

well forget that here is another question.

Why do half the mobs in the Everfrost starting area just stand still and not move? This isn't classic and yet I have been on other private servers that have this working. I would think this would be far more important to fix vs what someone sees on their own screen.

firesyde424
08-05-2015, 06:51 AM
I never understood this sentiment. I ran into it for the first time about 4 years ago when I figured out that with some work, you could use the SoD client on p99 which would give you access to luclin models. The thread rapidly sank into a degenerate nerd-trash slapping match. It was funny for a while. Then I started getting tells in game.

Listen, I get it. We play, FOR FREE, on someone else's server. We play at their whim. Fine. What I don't get is all the nerd rage over this. The stuff about exploits is all semantic. Some of those exploits have been around for a decade and aren't any better or worse than the stuff you can exploit with the classic models.

Why do people get so worked up over something that has a miniscule to zero effect on anyone else's gameplay? No one reading this forum has any idea what models I am currently using. How I appear to you in game depends entirely on what you have loaded. So why the butt hurt?

Monty405
08-05-2015, 07:26 AM
On one hand I am not effected as I prefer the old models despite feet/ears/hands being blocky. However, if they go down this road those of us using UI's such as Duxa UI may very well be next. Keep that in mind.

am0n
08-05-2015, 07:57 AM
I never understood this sentiment. I ran into it for the first time about 4 years ago when I figured out that with some work, you could use the SoD client on p99 which would give you access to luclin models. The thread rapidly sank into a degenerate nerd-trash slapping match. It was funny for a while. Then I started getting tells in game.

Listen, I get it. We play, FOR FREE, on someone else's server. We play at their whim. Fine. What I don't get is all the nerd rage over this. The stuff about exploits is all semantic. Some of those exploits have been around for a decade and aren't any better or worse than the stuff you can exploit with the classic models.

Why do people get so worked up over something that has a miniscule to zero effect on anyone else's gameplay? No one reading this forum has any idea what models I am currently using. How I appear to you in game depends entirely on what you have loaded. So why the butt hurt?

In before "because it's not classic*!"

* what they really mean is "because it's not what the devs want." Everyone's idea of classic is different.

kined
08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Shouldn't all casters be looking at their books while medding? When was this removed?

lol it was never actually a thing. I'm 99% certain that was only ever a rumor.

kaev
08-05-2015, 09:11 AM
lol it was never actually a thing. I'm 99% certain that was only ever a rumor.

nice troll :rolleyes:

Originally you had to open spellbook, which left you unable to see anything except the book and chat, and press meditate button to meditate.

After a while (during Kunark? can't recall) it was changed so that you did not have to press the meditate button, anytime you had spellbook open you would meditate if you had the skill. And there was some rejoicing.

Next change (during Velious?) was that if you were level 35 or higher you did not have to open spellbook to meditate. And there was much rejoicing.

Eventually (Velious? Luclin? Pop?) they removed the spellbook requirement for all levels. And there was much snark about welfare and not having to pay dues.

Casters & Hybrids learned early that audio was important, nothing would make a L13 in Oasis stand up quicker than sound of a Sand Giant's heavy tread coming closer.

Spellbook medding also was a/the driving factor in the early development of the convention of "incoming" macros. It was pretty annoying to get whacked by surprise on a deliberate pull because rangerboy (or whoever) couldn't be bothered to mention in chat that mobs were incoming. Undead in particular had a nasty habit of jumping any sitting target they came close to pretty much regardless of other agro.

Portasaurus
08-05-2015, 10:33 AM
bring back casinos

curtischoy
08-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Another stupid post on this stupid subject. Luclin models are gone, get over it.

Roguejm11
08-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Another stupid post on this stupid subject. Luclin models are gone, get over it.

They aren't actually.

curtischoy
08-05-2015, 12:36 PM
he posted his work around on the forums, I'm sure it will be gone soon too.

J. Jones
08-05-2015, 12:48 PM
turn on luclin pet models so you can get 15% of the luclin experience.

Bristlebaner
08-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Luclin skeleton is the worst three dimensional creation I have ever seen.

myxomatosii
08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
First they came for the maps..

..and I didn't give a fuck because it wasn't classic.

Then they came for the compasses..

Then they came for the hide invis+ivu..

Then they came for the invis pull bugs..

Then they came for the casting while sitting..

Then they came for the camping while standing..

Finally they came for the Luclin models..

..and I still didn't give a fuck because it wasn't classic.

Feel free to add more.

Daldaen
08-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Then they came for target rings...

Then they came for con displaying in target window

Next they will come for sneak mem blur on stand

..and I won't give a fuck because that isn't classic.

Portasaurus
08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Daldaen is a jerk and a hater of meats

captnamazing
08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
THEY CAME FOR CASINOS

AND I GAVE A FUCK
BECAUSE THAT WAS CLA$$IC

Daldaen
08-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Then they came for our Sea Dragon Meat

I'd forgotten about that one :).

Portasaurus
08-05-2015, 04:57 PM
RIP casinos

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--gxZhBFNj--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18s8hy9mu211kgif.gif

Frieza_Prexus
08-05-2015, 04:58 PM
First they came for the maps..

Then they came for the compasses..

Then they came for the hide invis+ivu..

Then they came for the invis pull bugs..

Then they came for the casting while sitting..

Then they came for the camping while standing..

Finally they came for the Luclin models..

..and I still didn't give a fuck because it wasn't classic.

Feel free to add more.

Something something druid tracking skill cap.

Bheart
08-05-2015, 07:03 PM

It's human instinct - we see the same thing happen in politics.

People believe that they are always right and rejoice when laws are created in their favor - even if it is at the expense of another's freedom.

However the time comes when a law affects their own freedom (and it most certainly will), they will complain that their rights are being infringed upon.

Yes it's their server.... yes it's classic... but classic does not always mean it's the fun or right thing to do (see spellbook medding, classic UI, etc.)

myxomatosii
08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
THEY CAME FOR CASINOS

AND I GAVE A FUCK
BECAUSE THAT WAS CLA$$IC

My blackjack game was legit.

Tiewon Shu
08-06-2015, 01:48 PM
It's human instinct - we see the same thing happen in politics.

People believe that they are always right and rejoice when laws are created in their favor - even if it is at the expense of another's freedom.

However the time comes when a law affects their own freedom (and it most certainly will), they will complain that their rights are being infringed upon.

Yes it's their server.... yes it's classic... but classic does not always mean it's the fun or right thing to do (see spellbook medding, classic UI, etc.)

^^ This

Haynar
08-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Here is a developer's reply.

How about we start banning for hacking models, maps, because they can be altered to give an unfair advantage?

Do you think enforcing models revolved around someone "liking luclin better"???

You don't like classic models? They are in the spirit of the server. Sorry.

You wanna blame someone for it going in, when there are plenty of things to work on?

Red Server is over there. ====>

The whining is enough to make me push disabling the mouse scroll wheel next patch.

Get over it. You want luclin models? EQLive is F2P. Go whine there.

..... boy, I am sassy today. Heh.

Ele
08-06-2015, 02:07 PM

How about we start banning for hacking models, maps, because they can be altered to give an unfair advantage?

You wanna blame someone for it going in, when there are plenty of things to work on?

The whining is enough to make me push disabling the mouse scroll wheel next patch.

All hail High Priest Haynar wielder of sass!

Yes, please, thank you. You are my hero.

Daldaen
08-06-2015, 02:09 PM
PLEASE NERF SCROLL WHEEL.

It gives players so much power being able to get into 3rd person and look around corners so easily. Nerfing it will bring classic much closer. Oh the immersion levels will be so high.

tristantio
08-06-2015, 02:14 PM
I'd still like to see book medding added in (or a perma-blind effect while under level 35 and meditate is active, which would be pretty equivalent, if they could layer the spell book on top of the blind effect).

Historically, we should have to click a /meditate button anyways, so maybe spell book could remain as it is, but *not* auto activate meditate. Then when /med is performed, mana is regenned at the increased rate, but blind effect is applied.

Tiewon Shu
08-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Meaning no disrespect Haynar, your work is appreciated.

However, I wasn't whining, but asking a legitimate question:

"If you are going to add custom content later (after Velious) in the "spirit of EQ," how is that classic? And how is that different than allowing Luclin graphics? How would the Luclin graphics ruin the spirit of EQ as a suggested "custom content," where as a new zone/item/monster would not?"

My entire OP was questioning how you determine what is classic and what is not? I was using Luclin models as a base example of something that is not classic, but really does not diminish the spirit of classic EQ.

In addition, development has also stated they would be adding "custom content" after Velious in the form of zones and such. Which leads me to my original inquiry, "How is adding custom content never seen in EQ 1999 - 2001 live deemed "classic and in the spirit of the server," but character alternate models which are part of the original client are not?"

Tiewon Shu
08-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Also, if Red Server was the cause of Luclin Models being disabled, why not just make a check when logging on Red? Why punish Blue?

dafier
08-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Haynar,

PM with a "How to".

Thanksssssss.

Seriously, is this OK? Because this makes me believe that people are doing this without consequence.

Ele
08-06-2015, 02:45 PM
In addition, development has also stated they would be adding "custom content" after Velious in the form of zones and such. Which leads me to my original inquiry, "How is adding custom content never seen in EQ 1999 - 2001 live deemed "classic and in the spirit of the server," but character alternate models which are part of the original client are not?"

Some devs were posing it as a possibility for using the additional assets available within the Titanium client (i.e. something for them to do after the project is complete). There is nothing set in stone about custom content actually becoming available. Even if it did become available, it would be 3-5 years down the line after they had a complete package of time line appropriate patches to auto-run a full server from opening -> end of Velious.

Don't be expecting custom zones by the end of Summer 2016 (end of Velious, start of Luclin per timeline).

Haynar
08-06-2015, 02:45 PM
I dont know why model inforcement went in. I dont care. Lol. Could be cuz of red. I am not in those decisions or discussions.

I am in a super good mood today. And full of sass. I am trying to avoid the boards, since I would spend too much time Trolling.

nilbog
08-06-2015, 04:51 PM
"If you are going to add custom content later (after Velious) in the "spirit of EQ," how is that classic? And how is that different than allowing Luclin graphics? How would the Luclin graphics ruin the spirit of EQ as a suggested "custom content," where as a new zone/item/monster would not?"

My vision for a custom server would be a separate server. I'd like p99 pve server, or any future incarnations of it to remain as classic as possible.

captnamazing
08-06-2015, 05:01 PM
You guys are great. Down with luclin models and reinstate casinos

Danth
08-06-2015, 05:17 PM
...is enough to make me push disabling the mouse scroll wheel next patch.

If this can be done, it should be. Classic, after all!

Danth

Kevris
08-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Suffer not the non-classic models, the compasses, the target rings!

Burn the scroll wheel! Kill the night-vision! Purge the not-having-to-stare-at-the-spell-book-to-meditate!

It is better to die for Classic then live for yourself!!!

SCB
08-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Kill the night-vision!

This is my personal dream "classicification"

I miss the compass, but any sacrifice is worth having night-blindness back.

Glamdring6
08-06-2015, 08:11 PM
This discussion all distills down to a matter of preference, what people like or don't. Honestly I am surprised by all the negatively charged emotion surrounding this topic; is this how some of you treat others in real life with differing opinions or views? Whether or not the newer models are displayed is a choice that effects only that individual and no one else. I get that some really like or dislike the newer graphics, that it alters the way you experience the world, but you could pass by each other and have no idea what the other player employed. I would understand if this created practical issues (exploits for which those cheating should be punished or extra maintenance for devs) I would understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case ...

...For what it's worth, I made the patch because i saw people asking for it and it was simple enough to figure out and put together. I interpreted Nilbog's replies to requests for the models as "I will not spend any time making them as they aren't Classic, but if someone else does, I don't care". The fact no dev ever approached me after it was posted, it wasn't (until now obviously) patched to disable them, and I wasn't even banned, enforced my interpretation of his replies. I was also never addressed about exploits. 90% of them are on Red it seems...

I first started playing Everquest in 1999 not long after its release and it was a huge part of middle school and high school for my friends and I. Although we eventually left sometime in 2005 because we no longer cared for the direction all the expansions had taken the game, we always remembered playing in those early years. It was a source of so many good memories and nostalgia that it became the bar by which all future MMOs were measured and all of them fell short. Project 1999 was something my friends and I often wished existed since we left EQlive and when we found it we were all too happy to loose countless hours to playing this game.

All that suffice to say I have a great amount of reverence and respect for the work the devs have done and continue to do to bring this game to us. They have every right to create the vision they had when they first undertook this project, and we as a community are here because we have so much admiration for the world they're trying to recreate. If it is matter of interpretation however, or a matter of preference as to what lens we view the world through and it takes so little give us the choice I would humbly ask we were given that choice, and furthermore as a community we remembered we are all here for the same reason.

Kevris
08-06-2015, 09:44 PM
This discussion all distills down to a matter of preference, what people like or don't. .

It does create practical issues; it has been pointed out many times by many people that the Luclin-era troll/ogre models are able to reach places the classic models cannot.

Not to mention the fact that nobody's personal preference takes precedence over the vision of the server: to present a classic Everquest experience.

That means no target rings, no compasses, no con-colors on the target windows and none of the other so-called quality of life enhancements.

You may be about to say: "what about the night vision, the UI ..etc"

Rest assured they would change that if it were possible.

TrollCall
08-06-2015, 09:59 PM
just wanted to chime in and say that the recent changes have no impact on the "Freeport vision" being used on red. Since they are only monitoring changes on globalload.txt whereas my "Freeport vision" changes are in global_chr.s3d . so no, this change had nothing to do with red.

Portasaurus
08-06-2015, 10:48 PM
reinstate casinos

Tiewon Shu
08-07-2015, 08:06 AM
My vision for a custom server would be a separate server. I'd like p99 pve server, or any future incarnations of it to remain as classic as possible.

Thanks Nilbog! That's all I wanted answered. Sorry the thread caused so much drama.

bakkily
08-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Lol swish. I love your gifs.

dnatabar
08-07-2015, 10:21 AM
just wanted to chime in and say that the recent changes have no impact on the "Freeport vision" being used on red. Since they are only monitoring changes on globalload.txt whereas my "Freeport vision" changes are in global_chr.s3d . so no, this change had nothing to do with red.

Isnt that admitting to changing the game client?

vouss
08-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Good decision by the staff, screenshots showing luclin models poorly reflected the server, the luclin models look like trash.

Glamdring6
08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
It does create practical issues; it has been pointed out many times by many people that the Luclin-era troll/ogre models are able to reach places the classic models cannot.

Not to mention the fact that nobody's personal preference takes precedence over the vision of the server: to present a classic Everquest experience.

That means no target rings, no compasses, no con-colors on the target windows and none of the other so-called quality of life enhancements.

You may be about to say: "what about the night vision, the UI ..etc"

Rest assured they would change that if it were possible.

I am aware that luclin models can lead to exploits, but if you look at what I quoted it seems it wasn't really an issue other than perhaps on Red, and I am all for those that cheat being punished accordingly. I am admittedly relatively new to P99 and haven't spent a lot of time on forums but it would seem to me most people are not using the newer models for these exploits, although if it has been a rampant issue I understand how some could ruin it for all.

I agree that what the players want does not take precedence over what the devs envision for the server and I said as much, but again if you look at what was quoted in my post it seemed like there is room for interpretation of that vision.

As far as some of the other "quality of life" changes, I did not mention them because they effect the play and mechanics of the game. Things like not having a compass or map and having to actually navigate and know your zones is one of the many reasons I like classic Everquest and why I choose to spend my time playing Project 1999. As for things like the UI not being classic I understand why they cant do anything about it (and I think such things or discussion of custom content distract from the topic at hand) and I don't mind it, but similarly they could do nothing and allow the people that do appreciate a different look/aesthetic to have it.

Negadien2
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I would love to have classic everquest made By everquest next engine

Kevris
08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
I am aware that luclin models can lead to exploits, but if you look at what I quoted it seems it wasn't really an issue other than perhaps on Red, and I am all for those that cheat being punished accordingly. I am admittedly relatively new to P99 and haven't spent a lot of time on forums but it would seem to me most people are not using the newer models for these exploits, although if it has been a rampant issue I understand how some could ruin it for all.

I agree that what the players want does not take precedence over what the devs envision for the server and I said as much, but again if you look at what was quoted in my post it seemed like there is room for interpretation of that vision.

As far as some of the other "quality of life" changes, I did not mention them because they effect the play and mechanics of the game. Things like not having a compass or map and having to actually navigate and know your zones is one of the many reasons I like classic Everquest and why I choose to spend my time playing Project 1999. As for things like the UI not being classic I understand why they cant do anything about it (and I think such things or discussion of custom content distract from the topic at hand) and I don't mind it, but similarly they could do nothing and allow the people that do appreciate a different look/aesthetic to have it.

The issue on Red is wholly different: they modified game files to change skeletons to have a default human appearance so as to defeat the lack of nameplates above the heads of skeletons. That said, it matters little: If Luclin troll/ogre models have an advantage over the classic models, regardless of how small it is, it affects gameplay. If it affects gameplay, it is not a personal preference. It doesn't matter if it's one person, or the entire server using it: just because it is a "small" problem doesn't mean it's not a problem.

As to the "vision" of the server being open to interpretation, how is it so? They have consistently and relentlessly removed non-classic mechanics as they are found/as they are able to. There is no interpretation there: they want Everquest in the Velious Era. That's the vision, that's the goal, that's the server as best as possible. They can and will continue to remove things that people "like" because they were not available during Velious. This not open to interpretation. You say you are new here, so I'm sure you weren't around when they pulled out the compass, the target rings, or any of the other non-classic stuff. Kleenex stock shot up 10%, and stores all across the US were out of stock on ass-doughnuts to sit on for weeks as a large number of p99 players needed them to dry their tears and soothe their butthurt.

As to the UI, it is actually not simply a matter of aesthetics; it is makes the game significantly easier to manage. One chat window with all of the information the game presents is far, far more difficult to manage than a modern UI. The increased number of hotkeys, the extra chat windows and all of the other things you see on a modern UI make the game easier, they don't just look pretty. Think of it like a car: the classic Everquest UI was a stick with no tachometer. Modern Everquest has a tachomter and a lot of other gauges. This is not an aesthetic change, it changes the way you drive. Rather than knowing when to shift by the feel of the vehicle, the sound from the engine, you look at the dial and know exactly when to do so.

daddyniko
08-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Look... I play P99 for two reasons.

1). It's free unless I choose to donate to help support it's *NOT FOR PROFIT* status.
2). I actually missed playing the old school way. Corpse runs, spell book in your face, no in game maps, limited or (better yet) no UI mods, etc.

I didn't fall in love with WOW... I fell in love with EverCrack! Sure... I do like some of the "features" that the Luclin (and later) expansion brought, but they fundamentally changed the game. If I wanted to play with those "features" enabled, I'd play on one of the live servers... or one of the other EMUs. But I don't want everything handed to me on a silver platter... I don't want to be standing in the POK getting my 6 box uber buffed, then go out to kill raid mobs. I say make P99 as close to 100% content original as you can and keep boxers off the server... and fuck anyone who whines about it. They can go play WOW.

AMeanCow
08-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Look... I play P99 for two reasons.
and fuck anyone who whines about it.

I think players like myself who would have greatly enjoyed a graphic upgrade that doesn't effect the play experience of others, should be able to speak our mind and let the devs know our feelings, without having to face such sharp hostility. There's no reason for it and makes the community feel unwelcoming and hostile. Is that what we want? Shouldn't we be able to say what we like and dislike about the project so far? Sure the devs can make the game any way they want but what joy is there to be had in making a community project where opinions are attacked and membership suffers?

zeo1987
08-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I for one enjoy the luclin models. Never had an issue with using them in classic EQ, pulls it together for me so i can immerse myself better.

I've never heard of the bug/exploit with the troll/ogre models. but i always play DE anyway. I just enjoy being able to make my character look a little more unique, instead of just the 6-9 face options available on the classic bodies.

I have no problem playing while forced into the classic models, however my GF of 3 years, and best friend of 16 wouldn't play unless i modded their character models to Luclin. I can imagine it'll be a chore to get them to play with me still with the forced classic models.

At least i still have my hi-res world textures :)

Zizzs
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
My main is a level 5 enchanter. Played a whole 2 days and have no idea what these Luclin models are. But from what I understand, Project 1999 is supposed to create a classic EQ experience. And I mean, my high elf has a face of a goat, but I aint complaining about all that 6 polygonal beauty.

(I actually like the skeleton models >.> They're spooky skellingtons)

AMeanCow
08-09-2015, 02:16 AM
I for one enjoy the luclin models. Never had an issue with using them in classic EQ, pulls it together for me so i can immerse myself better.

I've never heard of the bug/exploit with the troll/ogre models. but i always play DE anyway. I just enjoy being able to make my character look a little more unique, instead of just the 6-9 face options available on the classic bodies.

I have no problem playing while forced into the classic models, however my GF of 3 years, and best friend of 16 wouldn't play unless i modded their character models to Luclin. I can imagine it'll be a chore to get them to play with me still with the forced classic models.

At least i still have my hi-res world textures :)

I'm going to have the same issues with my SO who wanted to play with me so she can recapture the "look" of her old druid that she was so proud of.

But thanks for the mention of the high-res textures, I did a search and installed them with advanced lighting and at least that looks a little better, which now knowing the context, isn't that weird? I mean it's not "classic" if you can still replace the textures with the luclin era supported high res textures huh. I feel this issue isn't so much about preservation of the classic play experience as it is nobody wants to try to fix the issue of inaccessible areas being accessed with new character models. I have no idea how much work it would be or how much it really effects the game but I'm really disappointed that we can't allow the game to look the way we want on our own screens.

Curtimus
08-13-2015, 11:32 PM
I just started P99 a couple days ago after 15 years of no EQ. I quit before SoV, so I never knew Luclin graphics. That being said, I would still like the opportunity to play with the updated graphics myself having seen some screenshots. At least to have the option would be great, and I think in no way breaks the intent of the P99 spirit. Please bring them in!

am0n
08-14-2015, 08:43 AM
I just started P99 a couple days ago after 15 years of no EQ. I quit before SoV, so I never knew Luclin graphics. That being said, I would still like the opportunity to play with the updated graphics myself having seen some screenshots. At least to have the option would be great, and I think in no way breaks the intent of the P99 spirit. Please bring them in!

Run, quick! Get out of here before the non-classic trolls show up to devour your soul!

Edit: On a serious note, "Classic" means something different to everyone. The Devs working on this define "classic" as 1999/2000 EQ+Kunark+Velious, all bugs, imbalances, etc., included. Any kind of upgrade that could make the game more enjoyable for some is met with extreme criticism, disdain and contempt if it wasn't in one of those three games.

vanklaus
08-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Classic is EQ trilogy, there are no Luclin models in EQ trilogy.
Luclin doesn't even exist.
Luclin models had to go.

Logical, pragmatic conclusion.

Thank you devs.

Lady Julae
08-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Classic is EQ trilogy...

According to whom? Because according to Verant/SOE, classic was every expansion up to PoP.

kaev
08-14-2015, 09:52 AM
According to whom? Because according to Verant/SOE, classic was every expansion up to PoP.

According to Rogean and Nilbog. Given that p99 is their creation, I would say that they jointly constitute the only relevant authority on that topic in the context of p99.

Curtimus
08-14-2015, 10:12 AM
According to Rogean and Nilbog. Given that p99 is their creation, I would say that they jointly constitute the only relevant authority on that topic in the context of p99.

Is there perhaps any 'official' word the devs have given on this topic, or intent to address?

vanklaus
08-14-2015, 10:13 AM

According to the original vision the devs of the game had, that includes Everquest, Kunark and Velious.

Lady Julae
08-14-2015, 10:52 AM
According to the original vision the devs of the game had, that includes Everquest, Kunark and Velious.

EQ's first 3 expansions (Kunark, Velious & Luclin), are considered the classical era by SOE/DBG. Despite your opinion, there is only factual history. The original vision included 14 classes. It wasn't until Luclin that the 14th class was introduced. Luclin updated the engine and added much needed updated avatar graphics to the dated engine. However, Luclin still shared the classic landscape and buildings of the old world, including some NPCs.

However, if you really want to get technical, according to DBG, "Classic EQ," by definition, is simply the vanilla game, and no expansions.

Ele
08-14-2015, 11:27 AM
The pedantry is strong in this thread.

Curtimus
08-14-2015, 12:10 PM
The pedantry is strong in this thread.

It could be seen as pedantry, but I believe a very reasonable request to have the updated graphics available.

I came to P99 to have the old gameplay and social atmosphere, not awesome graphics, but really, if looking at the craptastic original models is a dislike for some (it is for me, but not enough to make me not play), I advocate for their inclusion.

"Don't you know that Luclin models in Project 1999 is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?"

-Marylin Monroe

Evia
08-14-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm just glad that my idea of classic EQ (vanilla/kunark/velious) is also the same idea of the p99 creators/admins/devs. I feel confident that they're going to make changes and such that fit this belief.

....Even if it pisses me off sometimes.... (I'm looking at you buff timers)

drmskr
10-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Yea...

I didn't know the Luclin models were causing exploits on RED.

That sucks, cause not only do I want the luclin models, but I want NEWER ones! I want the classic game play of the old everquest, not the archaic graphics.

A couple notes that people have mentioned in this...

1) The devs vision being (Classic/Kunark/Velious) as classic... People must not read, because they actually only considered classic/Kunark as classic, and later decided to add velious, as well as thinking about adding other old world updates that came out later as well.

2) Orginal visibility not being able to add in... Yea.. It was ALREADY in there, and virtually everybody freaked out on the devs so they REMOVED it. Yes, the Devs caved.

3) Keeping to classic... My ass. They have decided to remove AND modify many original things, from mob levels to what you can purchase at merchants.

Now, as for my hopes.. I am hoping they fix the exploit and allow better graphics, I for one, like many others may not play without. I would actually like to use full graphics from live. I would also like them to put the classic vision back in, I miss having functioning infravision (current vision is a MASSIVE exploit for humans). Most of the custom modifications I don't mind so much, except for one or two merchant items that are disabled. I also hope they keep adding old world updated content, perhaps even Legacy of Yakesha, as it is old world.

Lorian
10-23-2015, 05:45 AM
P2002 is where its at. Although the graphics are still a bit lower rez than the Titanium models P99 used to have. But I hear you can get the textures from Titanium so will give that a go.

haaschnp
10-23-2015, 07:26 AM
...I prefer the old models.

kaev
10-23-2015, 10:50 PM
2) Orginal visibility not being able to add in... Yea.. It was ALREADY in there, and virtually everybody freaked out on the devs so they REMOVED it. Yes, the Devs caved.

Nah. Haynar's vision patch was certainly dark, but it was not like the original client at all. The lighting in the titanium client is just too different. In the original client, you could see wisps with lightstones from halfway across WC at night, that's why they added burned-out lightstones, so the loot bearing mobs wouldn't be so obvious. There is nothing even vaguely like that with this client. In the original client torches and other firelight sources gave a yellowish tint to what they illuminated. Infravision gave everything a reddish tint at night, ultravision gave a bluish tint at night. Jacking your gamma (if you had a voodoo graphics card) to see in a dark zone with a nightblind race would leave your screen washedout and effectively blinded in the desert zones in the daylight until you backed it down again. Here, there is no noticeable difference between human & half-elf vision, and with Haynar's patch there was still very little difference between them, it was huge on live. On the original client a lightstone or a lantern gave very usable light to nightblind races, here only a greater lightsource makes a noticeable difference.

tl;dr
It's not the dev's fault, it's not the players' fault, it's the client and can't be fixed. Blame Verant/SOE, it's their baby, and they drowned it in the bathwater.

Rararboker
10-23-2015, 10:58 PM
I must have some weird settings. When it is dark on my barbarian I can't see anything. Until I click that DE mask, he sees noting.

Lojik
10-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Does live EQ still use luclin models?

GinnasP99
10-24-2015, 12:06 AM
...I prefer the old models.

Me too

Tann
10-24-2015, 03:44 AM
all those who attempt to use or distribute luclin models should be perma banned to the fullest extent of the law.

thread close now go sleep

khandman
10-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Old models for me.

Comptonlive
10-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Totally, because ya know what I love more than anything? Hyper realistic characters running around blocky, painted on worlds. It just looks stunning!

Jaleth
10-25-2015, 08:54 AM
all those who attempt to use or distribute luclin models should be perma banned to the fullest extent of the law.

thread close now go sleep

I veto your post :)

Haloren
10-25-2015, 10:16 AM
I've always seen a lot more "personality" and to me are more majestic in the lore that you feel more immersed. Just my feelings.

Luclin models aren't any more "natural" with how they hold the primary pointed toward the ground and the stick up the bum look. Don't even get me started on the hair that looks like it's in lunch lady doris hair nets. How is that "the future", doesn't matter future != classic.

Have you seen old dark/wood elf females? hot!! lol

Rivthis
10-25-2015, 11:03 AM
edit, thought was a new thread, learn to forumquest. =(

halason
11-06-2015, 02:28 AM
This made me quit Project 1999 sorry but you can have your fugly ass models all to yourself. If there is content that is not affecting other players such as a skin only I can see this was a pointless troll on people who wanted to play classic without the feel of God knows how ugly those pixel monsters you call a troll.

o07Smurf
11-06-2015, 03:30 AM
The Luclin models are so disgustingly wonky that only a soulless robot could have created them. I question the humanity of anyone who likes them.

86753o9
11-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Luclin models are an affront to god. Basically they used one humanoid model for every race, just tweaking the size of it. And then there is the dump they took on quest armor by making all armor look like high end quest armor. Even now on live players don't like luclin graphics.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/old-graphics-vs-luclin.720/

Nevar forget!
https://youtu.be/v5w9NcEvwd4

jonny4fingers
11-06-2015, 11:57 AM
QQ

Eratani sheds tears in longing for male barbian pecs and 8 packs.
Seriously tho I cant play a Troll on this game, their waddling about makes nauseated.

A Friend.

cdawgz28
11-06-2015, 12:45 PM
The only graphics thing I'm sad about is I don't have the old looking Mage pets too

caldiar
11-06-2015, 06:09 PM
It's been a while since I've played on p99 but I used luclin models for my wood elf druid. Is it really not possible to load up luclin models anymore?

iruinedyourday
11-06-2015, 06:12 PM
great photo of revamped EQ models all standing in a lineup:

http://www.geraldstrucking.com/en/images/ew72admn3d_0c4f2b79_5279_937e_c292_02da135fa1aa.pn g

RogueShadow
11-07-2015, 12:55 AM
I don't understand any of this, aren't models use selectable?

Champion_Standing
11-07-2015, 01:32 PM
great photo of revamped EQ models all standing in a lineup:

http://www.geraldstrucking.com/en/images/ew72admn3d_0c4f2b79_5279_937e_c292_02da135fa1aa.pn g

lol'd

jcr4990
11-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Hokkay, found some time where I was bored: for you luclin model lovers out there, a quick and dirty workaround thingy https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70648819/downloads/Luclin%20Model%20Side%20Door.zip

On the one hand, it also works around the internal model dependencies (don't need human for erudite or wood elf for other elf). On the other hand, I hope you like baldness and, if a robe-wearer, pantslessness. External mesh pieces (like the baggy parts of robes) don't seem to get loaded correctly. Dunno if that would be fixable by cramming more data in there (where is hair even loaded from?). No idea if this applies to bulky plate armor or not!

Suitably flawed, but I wouldn't expect this to work for very long in any case.

http://i.imgur.com/qvuWAcX.png
Luclin models still work for those that like them. I've personally used this and it works just fine. Might have some graphical glitches with Velious armor. I've noticed in particular my chestplate doesn't show up right unless I equip a classic/kunark BP then swap my Velious BP back on. I've gone back to classic models for now just cause I generally prefer them but its nice for a change once in a while.

Enjoy EQ how you wish my elf pals. Don't let the obnoxious and incredibly annoying classic purists get ya down.

Tann
11-08-2015, 12:36 AM
Luclin models still work for those that like them. I've personally used this and it works just fine. Might have some graphical glitches with Velious armor. I've noticed in particular my chestplate doesn't show up right unless I equip a classic/kunark BP then swap my Velious BP back on. I've gone back to classic models for now just cause I generally prefer them but its nice for a change once in a while.

Enjoy EQ how you wish my elf pals. Don't let the obnoxious and incredibly annoying classic purists get ya down.

INB4 banned, there is a very good reason they blocked folks from messing with character models.

jcr4990
11-08-2015, 03:47 AM
INB4 banned
The post I quoted has been on the boards since the day after they changed how the globalload file works. I've personally re-quoted it at least 2 other times. Staff members have posted in the same thread where it was initially posted (after it was posted) and nothing has been said about it not being allowed or banning for it. Nor has people using Luclin models ever been said to be against the rules by any P99 staff member to my knowledge.

there is a very good reason they blocked folks from messing with character models.

Correct. The change they made was to nerf people on Red99 from exploiting turning skeletons into human models to avoid the lack of names above people using AON's. The nerf was not made targeting Luclin models it just happened to break the previous method that enabled them.

Nice try tho!

iruinedyourday
11-08-2015, 04:31 AM
Typical BDA

Valura
11-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Luclin models still work

http://38.media.tumblr.com/ec225e66f479de8146c28993f12f20a6/tumblr_n6k5umi2Bs1sp71ndo1_250.gif

Jaleth
11-08-2015, 11:09 PM
The game experience improved for me with the release of Luclin models. Personal preference though, still love this era the most, so will take the FAR subpar classic graphics over EQ LIVE and P2002 using Luclin graphics. I get you classic purists at heart though, even though your tastes in character models is disturbing.