PDA

View Full Version : Velious launch GM Event

Crass
08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Well, looks like I locked myself out, so I'll start a thread here about the (currently ongoing) GM event.

It started snowing across all zones around 1:30PM PST. At sometime around 3PM, a few system-wide messages went out. It said a combined research effort by gnomes and dark elves lead to portals opening in West Commons, West Karana, Feerott and a zone in Faydwer (someone else can clarify that).
The messages mentioned that giants and dwarves had emerged from the portals.

Running over to WC, halfway between the ZL and Befallen I found an encampment of Velious dwarves. There was a Coldain Loremaster, an Explorer, a Vendor and some un-named warriors and priests. A huge group of players were crowding around them killing the warriors and priests- it seemed the named NPCs could not be engaged. The warriors and priests did not leave corpses.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4_6SedI_9So/Vb60yB4AvRI/AAAAAAAAAUg/58-easm2L-Q/s1600/EQ000079.bmp

I later learned that there was an identical encampment of Velious giants near the kith zone. Each encampment was spawning the warriors and priests which began pathing towards the other side and attacking each other. At one point I saw a group of giants reach the other side, having killed all of the warriors. They left the fixed NPCs alone and despawned.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-367e3amgCcE/Vb60zy9vb5I/AAAAAAAAAUo/38D8s-cnkO4/s1600/EQ000081.bmp

Each encampment was giving quests. (posting now to add details in edits)

Halox
08-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Was basically unplayable for me. I have had ZERO problems with this server until today. I basically had to just log and forget about it.

patperson
08-02-2015, 08:36 PM
I checked it out but all the giants/coldains were way too high level for my 11 cleric... unless there was information I was missing for lower level chars to participate. I missed the opening announcements.

Buellen
08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Due to nature of mobs that can drop items

I found myself able to gather 16 different faction items from the gobos in Gorge of King Xorb.

The mudites and mino where not droping the required items.

Was fun for me overall got 3 items for my 16 turn ins nothing amazing red wand , scaled wolf gloves and a golden stud .

Yippee38
08-02-2015, 08:39 PM
It was a great way to get lvl 50+ players camping all of the low-level humanoid camps. It made participating by low-levels virtually impossible. It also made most hunting for low-levels very difficult.

jwargod
08-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I tried going with a hunch to hunt kerrans. Yielded nothing.

keysmash
08-02-2015, 08:42 PM
It was a great way to get lvl 50+ players camping all of the low-level humanoid camps. It made participating by low-levels virtually impossible. It also made most hunting for low-levels very difficult.

This.

The dwarves and giants should have been like, level 50. Then they'd be easy enough that high levels wouldn't have a reason to steal everything.

Yippee38
08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
This.

The dwarves and giants should have been like, level 50. Then they'd be easy enough that high levels wouldn't have a reason to steal everything.

Would not have made a difference. There was a guy in EC camping the first orc camp. He claimed to have gotten 50+ turn-ins.

The drops should have been level limited or something like that.

iruinedyourday
08-02-2015, 08:55 PM
We killed giants and got max faction after like 4 or 5 of them or at least faction enough to port me to Vel immediately. I saw no rewards for heads however which was sad.. overall we killed like 10 or 15 giants and got about 1 head for every 4 giants.

A lot of people focused on the humanoid mobs to get loots.. like best loot i saw was rubi grieves (which makes me believe that they did have a guise or other legacy items on the loot table).. I got a seahorse scale cloak and some other crappy stuff..

I saw no Guise of the Deceiver on red, not sure if anyone got one on Blue yet? Would like to know.

Was disappointed it wasn't raining guise's but whatever, that's why Ill play recycle i guess heh.

But as for the event? I thought it was great.. it took about 1 hour for everyone to have it figured out and doing turnins successfully.. MOST of the gm events ive been a part of were more confusing than they were easy to understand, I thought this one worked well for that.

I dont imagine anything would be fun on blue tho, too many people. On red it was greaaaat we had some huge PVP battles and were also able to find humanoids..

At one point I ran on foot from feerrrott, all the way to WC, to decide there were not as many humanoids available there, so I ran all the way back to feerrott and still was able to do about 20 turnins.. I even went to rathe mounts and ran through the place.. Funny enough though, i killed all the paladins at the camp and got nothing.. and how does it get more human than paladins, human npcs!

Would love to hear of a guise though.. actually no Id rather sleep easy knowing that I wasnt unlucky, but that none dropped :D

Axlrose
08-02-2015, 09:10 PM
While idling in Greater Fay, someone posted they got a Guise of the Deceiver from a turn-in, but not sure how legitimate that was.

Swish
08-02-2015, 09:10 PM
I hear there were a bunch of 60s rampaging through Crushbone for quest items not giving any shits about any low levels leveling in there... pretty lame for what was otherwise a fun event.

Hezron
08-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Rubicite armor was also reward for turn in.

Swish
08-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Rubicite armor was also reward for turn in.

Yeah I saw someone link a rubicite bracer, nice to see that stuff re-emerging. I've got a rubi BP on my unused paladin, its nice for low levels as a poor man's fungi :p

I only managed to hand in 2 quest items (and 1 giant head).

The 2 items were:-

1. Shiny Brass Idol.
2. Fire Opal ! lol

Oleris
08-02-2015, 09:14 PM
awesome event! gj nilbog, rogean, haynar and the other coders!

Crass
08-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey mods/admins, I'd like to add the following to my original post:

Each encampment was giving quests. The Explorers and Loremasters mentioned [documents], [reasearch] and apparently [heads]. The documents were Dwarven (letter) and Giant (scoll) flavors, and the research items were the same (dwarven tablets and giant crates). These all were NO TRADE / TEMPORARY dropping from humanoids across all zones- goblins, orcs, frogloks, etc. I found nothing on undead.

I went over to the freeport gate by NRo and found one of each document on an Orc Pawn and a Centurion. Gated back and turned both in to the dwarven Coldain Explorer. One yielded a Warpainted Spear, a modest but decent SHM range item that doesn't drop anymore. A research turn-in returned Mammoth Hide leggings.

Every zone I passed through between Ro and Runnyeye was filled with players. Many were complaining about the lack of low level humanoid mobs. It was true- the hunting had basically driven them extinct.

One interesting effect was that turn-ins would spawn warriors and priests which would begin pathing towards the other side. At one point I saw a huge influx of dwarves:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aDAfPHoFQG4/Vb60065YJvI/AAAAAAAAAUw/wIMzQTlPsOc/s1600/EQ000085.bmp
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qZ-PZabAuOE/Vb602J_YjZI/AAAAAAAAAU4/F58UXeeK0hM/s1600/EQ000088.bmp

It was very exciting. After gathering a few more documents I went for more turn-ins on the giant side and halfway there I thought, "I should bring up Fraps and take some video". I alt-tabbed and just as I clicked the icon I remembered that launching Fraps would crash my EQ client, and it did. I was unable to log back in for an hour and by that time the quest drops were finished and all my quest items had vanished, being temporary.

Now only the Explorer NPCs remained, and they were porting players. Players were running up, saying "send me to Velious" and vanishing. I tried it with the Giant and it denied me- apparently I hadn't earned enough faction.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wJSDRdBY22I/Vb7AsCNi3RI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/fWynML4kLTs/s1600/EQ000090.bmp

I ran across to the lone remaining dwarf and said "send me to velious". It worked. Suddenly I was transported to Eastern Wastes. Apparently the port zones were inconsistent, and there were several impromptu camps of players in EW suggesting the port locations were spread out, too.

Players were showing off some of the rewards they had gotten for turning in heads. Some ridiculous items among them. Here were just a few:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dkh2q1gpneU/Vb7AtlHJZPI/AAAAAAAAAVY/Mws_f3HV-Js/s1600/EQ000098.bmp

After looking around and taking out some low-level wildlife, I gated back to EC. I intend to explore velious 100% classic- boat only and no wiki. I never played Velious on live, and I've found that EQ is more fun when you don't know what to expect, and you aren't thinking about camps and drops and ZEM. That's part of what's so fun about GM events- weird, fun things happen with no warning. This was great, and a fitting launch for the long awaited Velious.

jcr4990
08-03-2015, 12:00 AM
240+ ppl in Gfay at the start of the event. Zoned into Crushbone /who returned 9 people. I happily murdered orcs for the duration of the event with surprisingly few people catching on that you don't HAVE to be in a zone with an event camp to get the event drops. CB didn't start to get crowded til near the end of the event. I had about 3 bags worth of empty slots and I filled my empty slots a little over 3 times. So I'd estimate I got somewhere around 80-85 turn ins. Lots of garbage vendor trash loot. All I got that was worth saving is Rubicite Boots / Fishbone Earring / Driftwood 100% wr box.

All in all not a bad event but I wish they had made it MUCH more clear that the drops could be obtained from any humanoid mob in any zone but had to be turned in at one of the 5 zones with camps. Would have prevented having 200+ people swarming around gfay and WC. I would have gladly emptied my inventory and went and parked in blackburrow or something away from the crowds.

Sorn
08-03-2015, 12:24 AM
I will treasure the random Blade of Passage I got from this event forever! The handmade backpack not so much...but only because I already have several of them and can't tell the difference.

Rararboker
08-03-2015, 12:59 AM
240+ ppl in Gfay at the start of the event. Zoned into Crushbone /who returned 9 people. I happily murdered orcs for the duration of the event with surprisingly few people catching on that you don't HAVE to be in a zone with an event camp to get the event drops. CB didn't start to get crowded til near the end of the event. I had about 3 bags worth of empty slots and I filled my empty slots a little over 3 times. So I'd estimate I got somewhere around 80-85 turn ins. Lots of garbage vendor trash loot. All I got that was worth saving is Rubicite Boots / Fishbone Earring / Driftwood 100% wr box.

All in all not a bad event but I wish they had made it MUCH more clear that the drops could be obtained from any humanoid mob in any zone but had to be turned in at one of the 5 zones with camps. Would have prevented having 200+ people swarming around gfay and WC. I would have gladly emptied my inventory and went and parked in blackburrow or something away from the crowds.

Want to sell that box?

iruinedyourday
08-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Any confirmed guise?

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Mayhem. Like the time you dosed the punch at your grandparent's 50th.

patperson
08-03-2015, 07:10 AM
I wish I knew earlier that I could have slain orcs for event drops... By the time I figured out what was going on, I decided to skip the event and go to Crushbone to find a group or solo... By the time I got there it was filled up with high levels killing everything. Oh well!

Dartmon6511
08-03-2015, 01:12 PM
You think the server is genuinely concerned with helping out the underdogs until a world event throws treats on the server grounds, then you see what kind of people really populate the server. Never have I seen so much KS'ing, camp steal, trains, and a blatant disregard for low-level zones in all of the MMO's I've played. This behavior made the event exclusive to only those 50+ or who can run fast enough to kill humanoid mobs faster than everyone else. It did nothing but isolate the population of newcomers and the veterans even more and it's pretty disheartening to see that.

Alcandre
08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
I was in Gfay by the crushbone entrance, 12 pally and 11 cleric, everyone pretty much let us do our thing there. We each got about 20 or so turnins in an hour. One high level shaman even buffed me on his way by, so it wasn't all bad.

clouddynasty
08-03-2015, 04:09 PM
When does the snow go away? I need to be able to lay out on Kerra Isle for that tan and its just not going to happen with this weather.

Swish
08-03-2015, 04:16 PM
You think the server is genuinely concerned with helping out the underdogs until a world event throws treats on the server grounds, then you see what kind of people really populate the server. Never have I seen so much KS'ing, camp steal, trains, and a blatant disregard for low-level zones in all of the MMO's I've played. This behavior made the event exclusive to only those 50+ or who can run fast enough to kill humanoid mobs faster than everyone else. It did nothing but isolate the population of newcomers and the veterans even more and it's pretty disheartening to see that.

+1, wasn't nice to read about...yet somehow inevitable :(

dafier
08-03-2015, 04:21 PM

I disagree. If you know how to use /assist, you could have easily got plenty of faction needed to 'send me to velious' when the event was over.

Just need to tag those mobs, or get on their agro list so when they die you get +faction message.

nilbog
08-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Event items had the chance of dropping from any race with a spoken language except dragons. That is Gnolls, Orcs, Faerie, Goblin, Froglok, Lizardman, Barbarian, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Erudites, Gnomes, Half Elves, Halflings, High Elves, Humans, Iksar, Ogres, Trolls, and Wood Elves.

Any.. of those npcs throughout the known world could drop a quest item. If you couldn't find any of those npcs to kill, I'm not sure what to say.

kledar
08-03-2015, 04:51 PM
damn I left the faeries in Lfay alone thinking they weren't really humanoid, should've slaughter the little overgrown butterflies

Daldaen
08-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Bah I was farming Pixies, how foolish of me!

Raev
08-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I thought it was a fun event, but after 1 hour of trying to assist on tiny dwarves surrounded by 100 players (all frothing at the mouth) I hit FD for an hour.

It was funny though watching 20+ dwarves chain summon giants to their doom :D

Yippee38
08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I disagree. If you know how to use /assist, you could have easily got plenty of faction needed to 'send me to velious' when the event was over.

Just need to tag those mobs, or get on their agro list so when they die you get +faction message.

Neg. One of the people in my guild was high 30's/low 40s (can't remember for sure). He tried this method. Nothing one spell he threw stuck. He got nothing out of it.

bktroost
08-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Neg. One of the people in my guild was high 30's/low 40s (can't remember for sure). He tried this method. Nothing one spell he threw stuck. He got nothing out of it.

A sent pet will eventually land a single attack. A thrown weapon will hit. A melee attack with fists will eventually deal 1 point of damage.

Pyrocat
08-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Resisted spells still get you faction. So does autoattacking for like 1 second.

Ele
08-03-2015, 06:10 PM
or buff someone else on the aggro list...

clouddynasty
08-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Really though, does anyone know when the weather is going to clear up?

Sirken
08-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Event items had the chance of dropping from any race with a spoken language except dragons. That is Gnolls, Orcs, Faerie, Goblin, Froglok, Lizardman, Barbarian, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Erudites, Gnomes, Half Elves, Halflings, High Elves, Humans, Iksar, Ogres, Trolls, and Wood Elves.

Any.. of those npcs throughout the known world could drop a quest item. If you couldn't find any of those npcs to kill, I'm not sure what to say.

im pretty sure the quest NPCs said this if you hailed them and read the text :p