PDA

View Full Version : Spell Timers Removed

jcr4990
08-09-2015, 04:24 AM
Haynar: Timers removed from spell buffs

Who's gonna write the program to read log file and show buff timer overlay now that they aren't available in-game anymore? Already have GamTextTriggers/GINA to replace audio triggers that were removed from game and Norrath Maps type stuff for map replacements. I'd be all over it if I knew the first thing about programming.

P.S. Hurray for "Classic" changes right guys?

shimonuh
08-09-2015, 04:25 AM
inb4 neckbeards have 15 stopwatches on their desks

Silent
08-09-2015, 04:30 AM
stopwatches? what are you classic 4 real?

Trigger=You feel the spirit of wolf enter you.;Comment=SoW Fading;Display=True;ShowText=True;DisplayText=SoW; ShowLine=False;TextColour=Yellow;Timer=True;TimerT ext=SoW;Hours=0;Minutes=35;Seconds=0;Behaviour=Alw ays start a new timer;CompletionDisplay=True;CompletionText=Sow Fading 1 minute;EndEarly=True;EndEarlyText=You feel the spirit of wolf enter you.;Sound=False;PlaySound=False;SoundLink=BLANK;P layTTS=False;TTSText=BLANK;

Thulghor
08-09-2015, 04:31 AM
Well, this nerf was dumb. Welcome to classic!

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 04:36 AM

just 5 and the 2 on my "classic" G15 keyboard - and they are on my PC desktop not my desk.

captnamazing
08-09-2015, 04:37 AM
all hail Classic

shimonuh
08-09-2015, 04:40 AM
I'm more worried about group mates dying because their levi falls off before they can land. Aircraft gonna be crashing all over norrath

jcr4990
08-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Omg I'm in game now and its horrible. Make it stop.

Beldan4
08-09-2015, 05:15 AM
adding my QQ to the post. This @#$% has been not classic long enough now that it is classic so plz bring the timers back.

Naxy
08-09-2015, 05:26 AM
When was spell timers on buffs added on live then? After Velious?

jcr4990
08-09-2015, 05:32 AM
When was spell timers on buffs added on live then? After Velious?Pls let it be later in Vel :(

Swish
08-09-2015, 07:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/GyaUGaT.gif

Jaleth
08-09-2015, 07:37 AM
IF they ever find a way to "fix" item linking, we'll be hurting fo sho!

Swish
08-09-2015, 07:38 AM
IF they ever find a way to "fix" item linking, we'll be hurting fo sho!

Why not pull down the wiki and make players go with an archived Allakhazam? Am I onto something here?

Wokchop
08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
No. But that cat is a great driver.

Valerik
08-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Why not pull down the wiki and make players go with an archived Allakhazam? Am I onto something here?

http://i.imgur.com/QfMriFe.jpg

oracle333
08-09-2015, 09:47 AM
This is 100% stupid. Absolutely stupid. Pure stupidity. It serves no purpose, it's unnecessary and many people are going to be dying -- both cuz of levi fading and other shit.

I get that we all love "classic" EQ. That's why we're here. But what the hell. Some things are just too important to take out for the sake of taking out. Buff timers is one of them.

Can we all band together and bitch long enough that they're put back in??

rollin5k
08-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Love this change. Good job guys

Daldaen
08-09-2015, 09:57 AM
This is 100% stupid. Absolutely stupid. Pure stupidity. It serves no purpose, it's unnecessary and many people are going to be dying -- both cuz of levi fading and other shit.

I get that we all love "classic" EQ. That's why we're here. But what the hell. Some things are just too important to take out for the sake of taking out. Buff timers is one of them.

Can we all band together and bitch long enough that they're put back in??

The developers only care about classic, not the players who populate their server. Bitching because you play here will get you no where.

Players - Q-Q we dislike a classic change, we play here and you should put it back in because we collectively dislike it.

Devs -

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/54889224.jpg

Buff timers are gone forever, nothing will change this.

Swish
08-09-2015, 09:58 AM
The developers only care about classic, not the players who populate their server. Bitching because you play here will get you no where.

Players - Q-Q we dislike a classic change, we play here and you should put it back in because we collectively dislike it.

Devs -

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/54889224.jpg

Buff timers are gone forever, nothing will change this.

Do you consider yourself a dev?

Ele
08-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm down for locking the log file at this point for the trade off of preventing GamParse/TextTriggers and GINA.

DeadlyReza
08-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Classic

/thread

Swish
08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm down for locking the log file at this point for the trade off of preventing GamParse/TextTriggers and GINA.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m767n69liW1rsm2tu.gif

Ele
08-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Because not being able to plan for when you'll have to spend your entire mana bar on rebuffing Aego, Focus, etc without a stopwatch is so much fun.

Who said anything about fun? This is classic we're talking about.

Itap
08-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you Devs for implementing classic changes on a classic server. You have a player for life

Haynar
08-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Thank you Devs for implementing classic changes on a classic server. You have a player for life

Thanks. We do try.

Honestly. I was looking to get rid of displayed mana values. And I stumpled on the function for displaying timers for spells. I had given up on finding that long ago.

H

Vellaen
08-09-2015, 10:56 AM
This server does not exist to produce a good game. It doesn't exist to produce a fun game. It exists to reproduce classic EverQuest, in all its nostalgic, miserable glory.

heartbrand
08-09-2015, 11:01 AM
Will devs be removing Luclin drakes from ToV also?

nyclin
08-09-2015, 11:40 AM
http://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/GettingStarted.aspx

Portasaurus
08-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Fuck that

If that happens all of my MEAT sounds will go away, not to mention bumfights sound effects.

This would be the one change that griefs me out of here. Would probably be the best thing that could possibly happen for my life life, honestly.

Zlain
08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
when you even remove common sense QoL things, you're seriously flirting with crossing the sanity line.

Zweibierbitte
08-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Sillyness, the experience here is not classic... nowhere near it, and it never will no matter how "classic" you try to make it.

Wish the devs could understand that, but they can't because they don't play here.

Oh well, here's to making P99 worse!

Corydon
08-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Sillyness, the experience here is not classic... nowhere near it, and it never will no matter how "classic" you try to make it.

Wish the devs could understand that, but they can't because they don't play here.

Oh well, here's to making P99 worse!

I sucked a lot of changes to make the server more "classic". The last ones being "no luclin models" (heck, they were displayed for you only and only if you wanted it - so why remove the "feature"?) and "no timers on buff/debuffs".

If they are indeed going to remove mana values I will look out for another game to sink my time into. I do not regret having donated a couple of times since I got good playtime out of this server. But at some point I am fed up with "classic" changes.

I imagine nobody gives a fuck. I in turn don't give a fuck about that.

Cheers.

Swish
08-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Don't overreact over this change, bud :)

Corydon when talking to someone else about the Luclin model change.

The wind soon changed direction eh? It's definitely going to take some getting used to without buff timers...but we'll adapt!

Corydon
08-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Corydon when talking to someone else about the Luclin model change.

The wind soon changed direction eh? It's definitely going to take some getting used to without buff timers...but we'll adapt!

The wind didn't change. I did not overreact. See my post again. I said I sucked it. Duh. And then I said I am fed up with silly changes.

Swish
08-09-2015, 01:07 PM
I think you're overreacting to the buff timers. All you need to do to adjust is to know the timers on the ones you give out and keep a rough count, or pay attention to when it fades on you as a marker and recast on everyone else.

People will still click their jboots before zoning into a dungeon etc, not much has changed if you think about it.

Corydon
08-09-2015, 01:09 PM
I think you're overreacting to the buff timers. All you need to do to adjust is to know the timers on the ones you give out and keep a rough count, or pay attention to when it fades on you as a marker and recast on everyone else.

I will certainly know how to adapt. I have a huge array of timer bar overlays set up for my shaman using the GINA tool. So I am good. And this is an allowed tool. So there is no point in removing timer bars in the game. I can easily adapt. I said in my first post that I am just interested in knowing why they did this change...

Zaela
08-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Way after Velious, I would think. I never knew buff timers were a thing when playing on a server that used a LDoN-ish client.

Drew300
08-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I will certainly know how to adapt. I have a huge array of timer bar overlays set up for my shaman using the GINA tool. So I am good. And this is an allowed tool. So there is no point in removing timer bars in the game. I can easily adapt. I said in my first post that I am just interested in knowing why they did this change...

I hate it also!! But your answer is because he can!!! As he noted that he stumbled accross it and said hey lets mess up these people!!!

milsorgen
08-09-2015, 01:58 PM
zjust 5 and the 2 on my "classic" G15 keyboard - and they are on my PC desktop not my desk.

They still make those?

I'm not sure of people are cracking wise but sure seems this forum is utterly filled to the brim with self entitled little wanks.

I long for the day where a classic UI is enforced and the tears of a thousand basement dwellers washes this forum clean in a holy downpour.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/euXLN4mS3tvz2/giphy.gif

Zweibierbitte
08-09-2015, 02:04 PM
I long for the day where a classic UI is enforced and the tears of a thousand basement dwellers washes this forum clean in a holy downpour.

There will be no tears from me, I'll just stop playing =)

Buellen
08-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Just wow some of folk do not get it .

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."

In other words just stop your crying about these changes and play or move on, nothing you do will make them change it back.

Chrysus
08-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Not classic.

SamwiseRed
08-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Bless Hayner.

Jaleth
08-09-2015, 02:28 PM
z

Bring the classic stone faced UI back! It's like an old school D&D player character sheet!

Doors
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Will devs be removing Luclin drakes from ToV also?

They are refusing to remove luclin roaming flurry drakes from NToV but implement the removal of buff timers and claim the classic argument.

Been here since 2011, and in all those years, the changes made are primarily to make playing here more difficult because the player base is knowledgeable and EQ has been out for 16 years.

I don't really care either way but please stop bullshitting your own players. We're not idiots. These changes aren't made for "classic" and if they were, you would remove the Luclin era mobs from the game.

blondeattk
08-09-2015, 02:56 PM
utterly dumb thing to do.

but then this whole project is dumb, so no change there.

Ele
08-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Not classic.

Neither is having a real time log parser to update a map and cursor on an overlay, maintain buff timers and instant dps numbers on an overlay.

Certainly worth the trade off at this point, because people running log parsers are light years ahead of people not running them at this point in terms of available info to the player.

Ele
08-09-2015, 03:01 PM
They are refusing to remove luclin roaming flurry drakes from NToV but implement the removal of buff timers and claim the classic argument.

Been here since 2011, and in all those years, the changes made are primarily to make playing here more difficult because the player base is knowledgeable and EQ has been out for 16 years.

I don't really care either way but please stop bullshitting your own players. We're not idiots. These changes aren't made for "classic" and if they were, you would remove the Luclin era mobs from the game.

Where did they refuse to do this? Because it wasn't instantly reverted it is refusal now?

Theo74
08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."

That sentence purely makes no sense. It's, classically, the artist's pause saying he will keep on producing his material even if noone can see, read or hear it. Art without a public doesn't exists. Game without players doesn't exists.

He can only say that because he knows not all people are going to quit. Else he would'nt brag that way.

I don't care that much about timers, even if I still don't see the point of this removal, but please devs (some devs), don't consider yourself as semi-gods or immortal stars. That's just ridiculous.

Ele
08-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Nilbog:

That sentence purely makes no sense. It's, classically, the artist's pause saying he will keep on producing his material even if noone can see, read or hear it. Art without a public doesn't exists. Game without players doesn't exists.

He can only say that because he knows not all people are going to quit. Else he would'nt brag that way.

I don't care that much about timers, even if I still don't see the point of this removal, but please devs (some devs), don't consider yourself as semi-gods or immortal stars. That's just ridiculous.

What are you smoking?

Doors
08-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Where did they refuse to do this? Because it wasn't instantly reverted it is refusal now?

We were talking to Alunova in ntov last night, basically told us tough shit they're staying and the staff doesn't answer to the playerbase.

Rararboker
08-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Some really potent drugs, clearly.

Buellen
08-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Nilbog:

WoW just Wow had a bit of knee jerk reaction to the quote and could not think of clear response ?

What you feel , think, breath, eat etc etc does not matter to the devs when it come to changing the game to their mission /goals.

Zlain
08-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Know whats not classic? People raiding velious day 1 of launch with 4yrs of Top tier Kunark raiding behind them. I think you guys should remove that shit.

Expediency
08-09-2015, 03:29 PM
This server is great. It would have been nice to have no timer from day one on it so that we werent familiar with it, but after a week we'll adjust. Ignore the haters

jarshale
08-09-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm loving all the mad in this thread. Keep up the good work devs.

Zweibierbitte
08-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Just wow some of folk do not get it .

I perfectly understand it, and I'm not bitching, just stating the fact that "Classic" EQ was a shitty game, and I won't be playing it once it becomes truly "CLASSIC".

Brujean
08-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Does anyone actually know the answer to this very intelligent question posed on the first page?

Buellen
08-09-2015, 05:15 PM
I perfectly understand it, and I'm not bitching, just stating the fact that "Classic" EQ was a shitty game, and I won't be playing it once it becomes truly "CLASSIC".

With respect I disagree with your statement, As i love original everquest through velious. Hence why i play here.

I also loved PoP , but if i want that content i will go play somewhere else like Tak project or alkobar 2002 servers.

Zulzephur - Tarew Marr
08-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Does anyone actually know the answer to this very intelligent question posed on the first page?

I recall downloading a mod for the timers before The Serpent's Spine. Maybe during that Expansion they added them in?

I could be way off though.

Ele
08-09-2015, 05:43 PM
So, to answer the other thread entitled, "why don't more people play 99?"

Because it's intentionally clunky as shit.

So then why don't more people play live eq with all of the QoL enhancements that have been stripped out of P99?

Ele
08-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Some time after 2002 (Beyond the scope of this server.)

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13752&highlight=buff+timers

Anyone know if VI will ever use that large buff window with the buff name in it for more then just the name??

I.E.
If you right click and hold over Aego, it would be great if it showed (aside from the buff name) how many hp it's giving, how much AC, how long the buff will last, and how much time is left on the buff.

VI that box is sooo big, why not fill it with something useful for peeps

But its a very futuristic thing, exact time left on buffs with a description of what they do and such so I doubt its in keeping with EQs setting, I can't imagine them wanting to give that information for debuffs as well even though we can get that info from various sources already.

If EQ keeps timers on each buff (after determining how extended the timer needs to be depending on who casts it with what enhancements), then it'd be great to right click and hold on the buff and see just how much time is left on the timer... just time left would be great, anything else would be bonus.

EDIT:

PATCH MESSAGE WITH UI CHANGE:

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19267&highlight=buff+timers

7/14/2004

UI Changes
-------------------
- It is now possible to display your mana as a numeric value on your inventory screen. *
- By mousing over your buff icons, you will now be able to see the buffs remaining duration. *

Danth
08-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Man, if folks are this up in arms over buff timers--which don't really matter all that much (oh no, my dexterity dropped)--just imagine the outcry when the devs finally get around to disabling mouse wheel view scrolling.

Enjoy non-classic features while we have them with the understanding that any such features might go bye-bye at any time.

Danth

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 05:59 PM
z

They still make those?

I'm not sure of people are cracking wise but sure seems this forum is utterly filled to the brim with self entitled little wanks.

No idea if they still make them but I still have and use the one I bought forever ago !

jcr4990
08-09-2015, 06:01 PM
I don't understand people that aren't upset about this. Do you ppl actually wait til your buffs drop to refresh them?

Pringles
08-09-2015, 06:05 PM
I don't understand people that aren't upset about this. Do you ppl actually wait til your buffs drop to refresh them?

Because its not classic, thats why. Thats the_entire_point of this server.

Danth
08-09-2015, 06:07 PM
It's not about liking it, necessarily, but rather a long-term understanding of the goals of the folks who make P1999. Buff timers were a non-classic feature, so anyone playing here needed to accept that they could disappear at any given time, and finally have. Ultimately it doesn't matter all that much. Losing strength or dexterity or a few ticks of regen or clarity isn't going to kill anyone. Heck even a tank losing a HP buff isn't usually critical, and in the cases where it is everyone involved will make well sure the critical buffs won't fade prematurely.

Danth

B4EQWASCOOL
08-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Levitate will kill you.

Synthlol
08-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Buffs are for chumps.

Pipip
08-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I won't be going back into kedge until I get a fishbone earring or similar item now...

SamwiseRed
08-09-2015, 06:35 PM
cant wait til they enforce one chat box :)

Ele
08-09-2015, 06:38 PM
cant wait til they enforce one chat box :)

Danth
08-09-2015, 06:39 PM
On the chat box thing, it's worth remembering that the Velious UI did actually have some ability--limited, granted--to separate some of the combat spam out of the main chat window. I'll see if I can find more specifics; it's been an awfully long time since anyone has used that UI.

EDIT as a response to the post below: It has been hinted that a mouse wheel scrolling change may actually be in the works.

Danth

Zweibierbitte
08-09-2015, 06:40 PM
With respect I disagree with your statement, As i love original everquest through velious. Hence why i play here.

I also loved PoP , but if i want that content i will go play somewhere else like Tak project or alkobar 2002 servers.

Many people would love it to be as classic as possible, and that's great. I'm glad there's a place for you... it's just not my thing. =)

Personally, I would prefer if P99 took up a lot of the QOL improvements implemented on live.

So then, why do I play here?
Large population
No boxing
Classic CONTENT (meaning kunark/velious mobs and areas)
I've made friends here

Buff timers aren't a big deal, there are workarounds for people who care.. or for me I won't even notice it. Now, if scrollwheel to 3rd person was removed, or classic UI was forced, or open spellbook to med was implemented I would certainly find somewhere else to play.

It would actually be nice if these changes happened, then I could find a new hobby!

Hijiri
08-09-2015, 08:02 PM
I won't be going back into kedge until I get a fishbone earring or similar item now...

If only you had this amazing rare loot drop called a smartphone, you forumfail AND track buffs....derp on you crazy dimond

PDX0621
08-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Gotta love how many people lol'd and called "classic" on the removal of Luclin models, who are now pitching a fit and crying over the removal of buff timers. Karma's a bitch, isn't it?

drktmplr12
08-09-2015, 08:28 PM
lol

ryachart
08-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Many people would love it to be as classic as possible, and that's great. I'm glad there's a place for you... it's just not my thing. =)

Personally, I would prefer if P99 took up a lot of the QOL improvements implemented on live.

So then, why do I play here?
Large population
No boxing
Classic CONTENT (meaning kunark/velious mobs and areas)
I've made friends here

Buff timers aren't a big deal, there are workarounds for people who care.. or for me I won't even notice it. Now, if scrollwheel to 3rd person was removed, or classic UI was forced, or open spellbook to med was implemented I would certainly find somewhere else to play.

It would actually be nice if these changes happened, then I could find a new hobby!

Yeah the guys who work on this passion project do a really good job. I won't complain about classic changes, but I would happily switch to a server with a similar population, similar content set, and lots of non-classic QoL features.

Danth
08-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Yeah the guys who work on this passion project do a really good job. I won't complain about classic changes, but I would happily switch to a server with a similar population, similar content set, and lots of non-classic QoL features.

Over the years I've decided that while a lot of us would play on this type of server....none of us would make it. We like Everquest--but we don't like it enough to spend thousands of hours working on code and researching database entries and whatnot in order to make a high-fidelity server. The guys who'll do that are the folks who love old-time EQ, warts and all, so that's what they'll make.

I can live with that.

Danth

Lostprophets
08-09-2015, 09:54 PM

You mean you haven't?

http://i.imgur.com/NS11b2q.png[/IMG]

winter888
08-09-2015, 09:54 PM
If they gonna disable mouse wheel view scrolling , i will quit for sure.

Because as a tank, i have been used to it. i cant figure how blind and dumb i am, when i cant see around, when mobs coming on my group mates. It might be ok for caster or melee that only assist tanks, but not for a good tank, no real tank can bear with it.

If peeps blame tanks in case of its implementation in the future, plz blame this CLASSIC change first.

kledar
08-09-2015, 09:57 PM
to all those leaving, can I have your stuff since yall wont need them anymore.

Haynar
08-09-2015, 10:01 PM
If they gonna disable mouse wheel view scrolling , i will quit for sure.

Because as a tank, i have been used to it. i cant figure how blind and dumb i am, when i cant see around, when mobs coming on my group mates. It might be ok for caster or melee that only assist tanks, but not for a good tank, no real tank can bear with it.

If peeps blame tanks in case of its implementation in the future, plz blame this CLASSIC change first.
Mouse wheel scrolling is not classic ....

And I know how to disable it. It was chosen not to be implemented.

Gustoo
08-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Sir....

This post isn't good.

This means that you are arbitrarily deciding what classic stuff to saddle us with after years of non classic.

The compass used to save me 1 hot key box
The timer saves even more needless trouble
The spell set let me waste less time shuffling through spells

None of these changes have been critical game changers. Neither is the inability to mouse scroll away from character.

But you decided that the scrolling mouse is fine

And someone decided that blue gets to duck to cancel spells instantly and red does not.

We all only ask....why. If it is going to be "classic as heck" then go all out. But don't simply decide "yeah these clowns can figure out how to tell how long their buffs will last" and at the same time "I don't want to deal with NOT being able to mouse scroll away from toon" Do you see how that is a problem?

Daldaen
08-09-2015, 10:12 PM

Don't let the non-classic haters get you down, the removal of this would be fantastic. Get to see who is really good at EQ and who has to use these non-classic crutches to beat 14 year old content.

titanshub
08-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The goal of this server was never to make the perfect game but rather to recreate original classic EQ to the furthest extent possible. If you don't understand that then maybe you should go play WoW rather than complain about how people let you play for free on their classic EQ server.

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 10:19 PM

OMG Ele and Daldaen's heads might explode!

slappytwotoes
08-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Another 2015er bites the dust. Peace

Ele
08-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Gotta string these upgrades out. No reason to do it all at once!

winter888
08-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Don't let the non-classic haters get you down, the removal of this would be fantastic. Get to see who is really good at EQ and who has to use these non-classic crutches to beat 14 year old content.

You'd ever played a tank class? Seriuosly think about it, how many post about quiting will pops up on this forum if they do this changes? it wouldnt be fun to see who is really good at EQ furom blaming. it's a big step that will have much much more impact on this community than what ever classic changes had been.

Gustoo
08-09-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The goal of this server was never to make the perfect game but rather to recreate original classic EQ to the furthest extent possible. If you don't understand that then maybe you should go play WoW rather than complain about how people let you play for free on their classic EQ server.

Only problem is how long these things have been left un-cared-for and unclassic. Classic players have forgot that they were unclassic, and the fact that staff is arbitrary in implementing these changes.

For example, red server has not been able to duck to instantly cancel spell casting since its inception

blue server has always been able to duck instantly to cancel spell casting.

This is a velious era change to the game that is ULTRA basic but someone has decided that blue will get to have it easy and keep their duck to interrupt feature.

It is offensive because it is arbitrary.

Ele
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Only problem is how long these things have been left un-cared-for and unclassic. Classic players have forgot that they were unclassic, and the fact that staff is arbitrary in implementing these changes.

For example, red server has not been able to duck to instantly cancel spell casting since its inception

blue server has always been able to duck instantly to cancel spell casting.

This is a velious era change to the game that is ULTRA basic but someone has decided that blue will get to have it easy and keep their duck to interrupt feature.

It is offensive because it is arbitrary.

Sorry your free beta experience hasn't been enjoyable.

Your refund is being processed, please standby

Future servers will have the duck issue until the appropriate time in Velious.

khanable
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM

Oh man, make this happen

Poof item links while you're at it

THE TEARS, THEY WILL BE GLORIOUS

mwatt
08-09-2015, 10:54 PM
My own feeling is try for classic as much as is REASONABLY possible, which is what they are doing. The UI itself is not classic - unavoidably so. Hence picking and choosing of which UI game controlling features to leave in place makes some sense.

Give 'em a break, they are still following the theme of trying to be as reasonably classic as possible, annoying as it can be at times. The definition of what "reasonably classic" is, will remain in their hands. Join your own server creation project team if you want control.

Thanks for the efforts of all the devs. Btw, Haynar does much much more than apply nerfs (although I sometimes wonder if he secretly enjoys it. :) )

Haynar
08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Oh man, make this happen

Poof item links while you're at it
Item links would make a CSR nightmare, especially trading items and such.

So even though not classic, some things have to be kept to allow the server to be somewhat manageable.

When there are already 100's of petitions a day, I cannot imagine the mess that would make.

H

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Item links would make a CSR nightmare, especially trading items and such.

So even though not classic, some things have to be kept to allow the server to be somewhat manageable.

When there are already 100's of petitions a day, I cannot imagine the mess that would make.

H

double head explosion inc!!

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 11:06 PM
all that aside, your server, change it how you want! and thanks for all your hard work :)

Gustoo
08-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Too bad about the links. Anyone else remember walking up to vendors in east commons or gfay and having them put a bunch of bags in a trade window for you to see what they had for sale?

Good old days.

Haynar a lot of my friends on blue are dying to see classic un duckable spell casting system implemented for the last 6 or so months that it will be era correct on blue.

Ele thanks for the refund

Pscottdai
08-09-2015, 11:12 PM
not sure why the duck thing is such an issue to some of you (other than it was classic), all you ever had to do was jump to interrupt in classic. Damn near the same effect.

ryachart
08-09-2015, 11:12 PM
Over the years I've decided that while a lot of us would play on this type of server....none of us would make it. We like Everquest--but we don't like it enough to spend thousands of hours working on code and researching database entries and whatnot in order to make a high-fidelity server. The guys who'll do that are the folks who love old-time EQ, warts and all, so that's what they'll make.

I can live with that.

Danth

Yeah. And it's fun reading these posts because the reality of the situation is everybody has a threshold and everybody has a different opinion of which warts are fine and which aren't.

The folks here aren't super transparent about their goals, and I don't really buy the copy-pasted Nilbog hyperbole that he doesn't care about how many people play on this server. There's a point at which this project is sufficiently ignored and dejected that it will begin to impact the motivation of the devs. I don't think it's anywhere near that point, but it exists.

With that in mind, I have hopes that the success of this project will eventually steer it to a place where those in charge ask themselves if it might be worth exploring a similar project that tries to expose more people to the classic experience that they loved so much.

If they do that, they might need to break down a lot of the high friction barriers that prevent people from getting at the core of what makes this place something to spend time on. I think they have a pretty good shot at making a really fantastic experience that's a step forward from the classic but protects what was so good about it.

Gustoo
08-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Duck thing is only an issue Pscottdai because blue can duck while red can't...for no reason.

winter888
08-09-2015, 11:16 PM

/applaud.

Thanks for the great decision.

Bboboo
08-09-2015, 11:51 PM

If only you could pull your head out of your ass long enough to hear how dumb that sounds.

nilbog
08-10-2015, 12:16 AM
I don't really buy the copy-pasted Nilbog hyperbole that he doesn't care about how many people play on this server. There's a point at which this project is sufficiently ignored and dejected that it will begin to impact the motivation of the devs. I don't think it's anywhere near that point, but it exists.

Believe it or not, more people playing here doesn't benefit me. If the amount of legitimate bug reports was influenced by the total amount of players, then yes, I'd want there to be as many as possible. However, I learned a long time ago that the majority of players don't report bugs. The ones that do, consistently make reports and are very helpful. (<3 u all)

If you believe players motivate unpaid developers.. that's simply not true in my case. If this was a business that was dependent on total subscriptions, I'd be persuaded by financial managers to please as many people as possible. Thankfully, that is not the case, and idgaf.

Haynar
08-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Ditto.

blondeattk
08-10-2015, 12:26 AM
your server, change it how you want!

BULLSHIT!

doesnt give you carteblanche to ass rape the people who are playing this crappy server.

respect is a 2 way thing, the developers dont respect the players and so they
players can never respect them either.

The sensible thing would be to run 2 servers, one for the pureists (clueless classic naxis) and one for the folk who just enjoy playing an older version of eq. That way the classic zombies can enjoy their own putred company, and the rest can have a good time.

ryachart
08-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Believe it or not, more people playing here doesn't benefit me. If the amount of legitimate bug reports was influenced by the total amount of players, then yes, I'd want there to be as many as possible. However, I learned a long time ago that the majority of players don't report bugs. The ones that do, consistently make reports and are very helpful. (<3 u all)

If you believe players motivate unpaid developers.. that's simply not true in my case. If this was a business that was dependent on total subscriptions, I'd be persuaded by financial managers to please as many people as possible. Thankfully, that is not the case, and idgaf.

I appreciate what you do, and you've built a great product here. I don't want you to think that the following comments are meant in disrespect.

There is just too damn much consideration shown for the ungrateful and frankly disrespectful player base in this community for me to believe that validation of the audience isn't satisfying someone's goals for this product.

The server up times are fantastic, community concerns are handled, the release events, the fact that any petitions at all get answered. What makes all of that happen if not the desire for an audience for this product?

P.S. - FWIW, I have a monthly donation subscription setup because I would pay for a product like this.

Grimjaw
08-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Love this change. Good job guys

milsorgen
08-10-2015, 12:48 AM
BULLSHIT!

doesnt give you carteblanche to ass rape the people who are playing this crappy server.

The sensible thing would be to run 2 servers, one for the pureists (clueless classic naxis) and one for the folk who just enjoy playing an older version of eq. That way the classic zombies can enjoy their own putred company, and the rest can have a good time.

5stars

Gustoo
08-10-2015, 12:49 AM
BULLSHIT!

shards of dalaya woulda been a good semi classic experience for you especially back when it began. Now it is way late eq with whatever mumbo jumbo that includes, so its game over.

untergang
08-10-2015, 12:51 AM

It probably couldn't be done on blue or red in their current form without a massive shitstorm, but please consider doing it on the progression server you have planned.

Grimjaw
08-10-2015, 12:53 AM
it would be very easy for devs to limit chat to a single box. all text simply needs to use the same chat channel. that way 1 filter would control everything (eg every line of text would be set to channel 8 which currently is only used for /say chat)

winter888
08-10-2015, 01:21 AM
it would be very easy for devs to limit chat to a single box. all text simply needs to use the same chat channel. that way 1 filter would control everything (eg every line of text would be set to channel 8 which currently is only used for /say chat)

LOL, is that another classic thing to be changed? If so I am sure our clerics will cry when on raids.

I was curious if there was any software like team-speek or Numble backto 1999.

If the answer is NO,then should we get those voice software onto the forbiden list too? Because it's not CLASSIC,and shouldnt be permitted on this comunity ?

Zulzephur - Tarew Marr
08-10-2015, 01:33 AM

There were, and many of us used them.

Gustoo
08-10-2015, 04:27 AM
Pros used such software back then. Plebs didn't and that made a big difference. People used to type in game.

khanable
08-10-2015, 05:09 AM
LOL, is that another classic thing to be changed? If so I am sure our clerics will cry when on raids.

If the answer is NO,then should we get those voice software onto the forbiden list too? Because it's not CLASSIC,and shouldnt be permitted on this comunity ?

roger-wilco, brah

Haynar
08-10-2015, 08:39 AM
So. In the Classic spirit. Besides scroll wheel, what other classic client feature would tick people off as much as spell timers, if it were removed?

H

Rivthis
08-10-2015, 08:48 AM
So. In the Classic spirit. Besides scroll wheel, what other classic client feature would tick people off as much as spell timers, if it were removed?

H

Random LDs

800 x 600 window

Item Link removal

;)

Tiewon Shu
08-10-2015, 08:57 AM
To all of you who rejoiced over Luclin models being blocked, rejoice now that timers are removed!

I am happy for this change. As I said before, classic to me is about game play, not forcing crappy models upon me.

Daldaen
08-10-2015, 09:12 AM

H

One thing that a few of us have bug reported was DoT Damage.

DoTs shouldn't display their damage each tick until LoY/GoD. The previous responses from devs have been "wait until all spells are in, and then we will remove it".

I believe at this point all spells are in and verified to be the correct damage per tick. I think now it would be time to remove those messages for DoTing classes.

Beyond that, a list of features to remove to increase levels of classicness/immersion:

Scroll Wheel would be huge, players having to get used to F9 views or the classic first person view would be very immersive.
Chat Boxes - We shouldn't have the ability to create more than 1 chat box, the "New Chat Window" right click feature needs to be disabled somehow for this
Hot buttons - We shouldn't have the ability to bring up multiple pages of hotbuttons. We should be limited to a single hotbutton page with 10 hotkeys (and you can cycle between 10 different pages with SHIFT+#). Bards are the primary beneficiary of this unclassic feature. Would be nice to see it removed and see what real bards exist in a classic EQ.
Combat Ability Window - This shouldn't exist until GoD. Classic melee had to make hotkeys with line 1: /disc Defensive Discipline. They also had no way of telling how long was left on their discipline (in an era of tank swaps having this information readily available makes tank swaps a lot easier to time).
Pet Window (Alt F1) - This shouldn't exist. Players had to make special pet hotkeys and put them in their main hotbutton page and they were already limited to 10 slots on. It was very cluttered, and you needed to pick and choose what was most important for your main 10 hotkeys!
Cycle NPC Hotkey - This is a hotkey you can set in your EQOptions. It will cycle between 10 mobs, picking a different one each time until you've exhausted all targets and will start over. It is not classic. It trivializes CC for mezzing and rooting, and debuffing. Removing this would separate the skilled enchanters from those who just faceroll, and bring value back to Tab Targetting.
/Makeleader conmand - This was added past our timeline. Making groups, connecting CotH chains and such was cumbersome in classic. Removing this makes setting up CoTH chains slightly more tedious and encourages you select a good group leader to start, who will be attentive and invite players as needed.
Mana Display - Shouldn't see actual mana value in inventory window or any other window until LoY/GoD.
Item Links - client issue most likely.
Vendor Display - we have the updated version which lists the amount of item available, and price in the window... The classic window just was a panel of items which you had to click on individually to get price check and you wouldn't know how many were left until you bought them out.
Bard Buff Stacking - Anything a bard does should stack with equal or same line spells from other classes. Example: A bard using an Orb of Tishan which procs an Enchanter Tashanian spell, should stack with Enchanter's casting the same or higher tier spell. ONLY when it's a bard doing this proc. The situation is the same for clickies. A bard using a click of Ragefire Arms (8 Damage shield), should stack with Mage or Druid damage shield. --- This would make people happy, but was very classic

heartbrand
08-10-2015, 09:20 AM

H

Some of these already are removed, but here's my list of annoyances:

1) No guild hub. The ability to see who is in your guild, where they are etc., is the one thing I miss more than any other function of current EQ. Keeping track of alts and anon members and what not has become impossible, and we have to rely upon GMs giving us updated lists from time to time. Hate not having it.

2) One chat box / first person only.

3) Item linking.

4) No chat channels. Annoying for raids.

Map / compass / meditate / buff timers / removing mana as a displayed number, dgaf about, that's part of the difficulty of classic EQ. It's the quality of life improvements that have no impact on actual game difficulty that piss me off when removed.

Haynar
08-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Pet window - been tried a few times to totally erradicate. Not sucessful.
Don't know how many hours I have chased displayed mana.
DoT damage - maybe soon.
Scroll wheel - i play first person. Would not affect me. However, so many play 3rd person now. This one may be good for recycled server.

H

heartbrand
08-10-2015, 09:30 AM
This to me goes back to the arbitrary distinction between classic and not classic. It took Verant until X months in to finally realize that hybrids, already underpowered, shouldn't have an xp penalty. They fixed this mistake. Does that make keeping their poor game design in place classic, or simply making the same mistake they did? Monks will become OP towards the end of Velious with the increased combat tables and avoidance, an issue not fixed until Luclin. So in the name of classic we will keep in place an OP, broken class.

No shawl 8, which was an amazing quest line with a balanced reward, because it comes out a couple of months after Luclin. Underpowered items like BoC, post sleepers items, etc.

Heavenzoutcast
08-10-2015, 09:36 AM
I like the idea of original everything as the new recycled server. It should stay as intended. For the most part, this server is full of twinks. Having a brand new server with the intent of keeping everything "Original" would be more appealing to me then being turned down a group because a twins with way better gear was chosen. Start fresh.

Tiewon Shu
08-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I'd go to 2002 if it did not allow 3 boxing. I'm only here because P99 doesn't allow 3 boxing or RMT. That said, I think p99 should ease up on the boxing rule to allow people to do money/item transactions only with their alts, as this was classic before the introduction of the shared bank in Luclin.

curtischoy
08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
It's amazing the amount of people that play on a classic server and bitch and moan when a change towards a more classic game is made.

Swish
08-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I'd go to 2002 if it did not allow 3 boxing. I'm only here because P99 doesn't allow 3 boxing or RMT. That said, I think p99 should ease up on the boxing rule to allow people to do money/item transactions only with their alts, as this was classic before the introduction of the shared bank in Luclin.

The mentality of this post is why players shouldn't (and don't) get a say in anything.

Tiewon Shu
08-10-2015, 10:20 AM

H

- Adding night blindness may, but I loved night blindness because it made ultravision/infravision something to be considered when choosing a race. It also made the spells worth while to purchase.

- Item linking

- Item stacking/selling at the vendors

- Turning Luclin graphics off the mage pets

- Turn off MQ

- Implement/Force Classic UI

Haynar
08-10-2015, 10:21 AM
The mentality of this post is why players shouldn't (and don't) get a say in anything.

I cannot stand playing a single character. It sucks. I hate it.

I play on takp when I have time to play. If you have the p99 anti-boxing mentality, the you are stuck here. I tried to play on p99. I didn't make it to level 20. Was not fun.

When I do get time to play, its maybe 30 min is all. And lately its not even once a week. But I have been spending way more time doing dev work.

Takp is fun. I can 3 box or single box if I want. Development is progressing and I think Kunark is close. The people are great. And the server is not full of boxer haters.

H

Daldaen
08-10-2015, 10:23 AM
- Adding night blindness may, but I loved night blindness because it made ultravision/infravision something to be considered when choosing a race. It also made the spells worth while to purchase.

- Item linking

- Item stacking/selling at the vendors

- Turning Luclin graphics off the mage pets

- Turn off MQ

- Implement/Force Classic UI

I agree with everything but the bolded. Multi-Quest is classic and there are zounds of examples of this on allakhazam and old class boards asking whether you can MQ certain quests.

Especially in Velious where questing gear is more prevalent, people would often do HoT quests and Armor quests off MQs.

Tiewon Shu
08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
I agree with everything but the bolded. Multi-Quest is classic and there are zounds of examples of this on allakhazam and old class boards asking whether you can MQ certain quests.

Especially in Velious where questing gear is more prevalent, people would often do HoT quests and Armor quests off MQs.

Oh I agree, MQ is classic, I just think disabling it would make the server a nicer place to play without all the greedy neck-bearded poop sockers who make obtaining a needed quest item otherwise impossible without having to be extorted for thousands of platinum.

Tiewon Shu
08-10-2015, 10:31 AM

Please, elaborate.

SamwiseRed
08-10-2015, 10:32 AM

H

scroll wheel
one chat box
remove item linking
oh and dots showing damage
:)

tristantio
08-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Nothing would invoke the QQ like adding a required spellbook during /meditate (at least on a new/recycled server, where all the casters were sub-35).

Edit: Mouse wheel isn't a big deal, you can get a decent 3rd person view pressing f9 (or camera change) button twice, then using the pitch/zoom binds to get a good angle on your character. (I use j/k for this, both double bound, so j can zoom out and pitch up, while k does the opposite - a necessity after moving most my play to a laptop with no mouse).

dnatabar
08-10-2015, 11:22 AM
I really dont see why the spellbook is such a problem while meditating... As long as we arent using the Classic UI, it wont cover the entire screen anyways...

Gustoo
08-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Trisantio bravo for laptop play without mouse. Hardcore.

maskedmelon
08-10-2015, 11:42 AM

DoTs shouldn't display their damage each tick until LoY/GoD. The previous responses from devs have been "wait until all spells are in, and then we will remove it".

I believe at this point all spells are in and verified to be the correct damage per tick. I think now it would be time to remove those messages for DoTing classes.

Beyond that, a list of features to remove to increase levels of classicness/immersion:

Scroll Wheel would be huge, players having to get used to F9 views or the classic first person view would be very immersive.
Chat Boxes - We shouldn't have the ability to create more than 1 chat box, the "New Chat Window" right click feature needs to be disabled somehow for this
Hot buttons - We shouldn't have the ability to bring up multiple pages of hotbuttons. We should be limited to a single hotbutton page with 10 hotkeys (and you can cycle between 10 different pages with SHIFT+#). Bards are the primary beneficiary of this unclassic feature. Would be nice to see it removed and see what real bards exist in a classic EQ.
Combat Ability Window - This shouldn't exist until GoD. Classic melee had to make hotkeys with line 1: /disc Defensive Discipline. They also had no way of telling how long was left on their discipline (in an era of tank swaps having this information readily available makes tank swaps a lot easier to time).
Pet Window (Alt F1) - This shouldn't exist. Players had to make special pet hotkeys and put them in their main hotbutton page and they were already limited to 10 slots on. It was very cluttered, and you needed to pick and choose what was most important for your main 10 hotkeys!
Cycle NPC Hotkey - This is a hotkey you can set in your EQOptions. It will cycle between 10 mobs, picking a different one each time until you've exhausted all targets and will start over. It is not classic. It trivializes CC for mezzing and rooting, and debuffing. Removing this would separate the skilled enchanters from those who just faceroll, and bring value back to Tab Targetting.
/Makeleader conmand - This was added past our timeline. Making groups, connecting CotH chains and such was cumbersome in classic. Removing this makes setting up CoTH chains slightly more tedious and encourages you select a good group leader to start, who will be attentive and invite players as needed.
Mana Display - Shouldn't see actual mana value in inventory window or any other window until LoY/GoD.
Vendor Display - we have the updated version which lists the amount of item available, and price in the window... The classic window just was a panel of items which you had to click on individually to get price check and you wouldn't know how many were left until you bought them out.
Bard Buff Stacking - Anything a bard does should stack with equal or same line spells from other classes. Example: A bard using an Orb of Tishan which procs an Enchanter Tashanian spell, should stack with Enchanter's casting the same or higher tier spell. ONLY when it's a bard doing this proc. The situation is the same for clickies. A bard using a click of Ragefire Arms (8 Damage shield), should stack with Mage or Druid damage shield. --- This would make people happy, but was very classic

These changes would make me QQ too... Tears of joy ^^

Ele
08-10-2015, 11:46 AM

Is it Christmas already? :D

nyclin
08-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Is it Christmas already? :D

it's kind of cute how Daldaen leaves the one change that would adversely affect him off his list: spellbook when medding

Ele
08-10-2015, 12:00 PM
it's kind of cute how Daldaen leaves the one change that would adversely affect him off his list: spellbook when medding

Have you seen the man's level of advocating for classic UIs? It is a subset.

Pringles
08-10-2015, 12:02 PM

You realize thats a non issue for anyone 35+, right?

Erati
08-10-2015, 12:02 PM

this guy is clueless - Dald is so classic he meds with the book open on ALL his characters

Its so fucking annoying - you try to trade him water or vendor crap while hes sitting and get message "Too busy" bc he has book open when he meds.

Even tho you just need to sit.

FFS

Suntrader
08-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Bottom line guys - it's like the business "golden rule" who owns the gold makes the rules. P1999 is their game, their server they can change the rules and the game as they see fit. Think of ourselves as guest - we are after all playing on a free server. Don't like the changes - don't play here.

kaev
08-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Nothing would invoke the QQ like adding a required spellbook during /meditate (at least on a new/recycled server, where all the casters were sub-35).

Edit: Mouse wheel isn't a big deal, you can get a decent 3rd person view pressing f9 (or camera change) button twice, then using the pitch/zoom binds to get a good angle on your character. (I use j/k for this, both double bound, so j can zoom out and pitch up, while k does the opposite - a necessity after moving most my play to a laptop with no mouse).

Scroll-wheel zoom is different from F9 3rd person views not because it's easier (tapping F9 is not even slightly difficult, lol), but because it keeps your facing/movement tied to mouse-look. For travelling, for kiting, and sometimes for pulling, F9 views that let you look around without changing your direction are vastly superior. For dealing with a complex melee situation as a tank the scroll-wheel 3rd-person is very nice as it lets you get a different field of view without changing your character controls. The scroll-wheel 3rd-person view's greatest value is that it does different things well than the classic F9 views.

untergang
08-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Scroll wheel - i play first person. Would not affect me. However, so many play 3rd person now. This one may be good for recycled server.
H

The more you differentiate the recycle server from the blue and red servers, the better. That server has the potential to be the classic museum that blue/red can't be without a lot of complaints.

surron
08-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Scroll-wheel zoom is different from F9 3rd person views not because it's easier (tapping F9 is not even slightly difficult, lol), but because it keeps your facing/movement tied to mouse-look. For travelling, for kiting, and sometimes for pulling, F9 views that let you look around without changing your direction are vastly superior. For dealing with a complex melee situation as a tank the scroll-wheel 3rd-person is very nice as it lets you get a different field of view without changing your character controls. The scroll-wheel 3rd-person view's greatest value is that it does different things well than the classic F9 views.

wrong...

hitting f9 twice and zooming out is the same thing as mouse scroll EXCEPT when using f9 you can change the camera along the y axis, which is kind of annoying when using mouselook to move while in 3rd person.

do people not realize Titanium was made for the TENTH EQ expansion... this client makes classic way easier

Daldaen
08-10-2015, 12:54 PM

So I saw this post, and chuckled to myself thinking "If only this guy knew I only med with my spell book". Then I scrolled down and saw this:

this guy is clueless - Dald is so classic he meds with the book open on ALL his characters

Its so fucking annoying - you try to trade him water or vendor crap while hes sitting and get message "Too busy" bc he has book open when he meds.

Even tho you just need to sit.

FFS

Hahahaha. Oh the salt from people trying to trade with me while I meditate. I got conditioned to do it during classic and never changed. Even when I played live around 2011-2012 at level 90-95, I medded with spell book open every time. The only characters I had a Sit/Stand button accessible on were those who had FD. Everyone else only had the Spellbook button accessible.

I would love if the classic UI were in, including blindness while meditating.

Gustoo
08-10-2015, 01:07 PM
That feature goes away after like level 20 or 30 or 35 even in classic.

Erazmus
08-10-2015, 01:25 PM
That feature goes away after like level 20 or 30 or 35 even in classic.

For spellbook, I remember going away at 35.

Charlievox
08-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Bottom line: Their Ballpark, Their Rules.
I have fun playing here. If/When they make a change that makes it no longer fun for me, I will stop playing. And you won't see me come here to whine about it first.

Ravager
08-10-2015, 01:30 PM

From a while ago:

If i can link refresh rates while book is open. I can probably black out everything except spell book. Then tie it to meditate. Booyah.

So maybe.

Not before velious. But maybe before recycled server.

Ele
08-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Opening to October 1999 - All casters 1-50 had to open spellbook and press the meditate button.

October 1999 (http://web.archive.org/web/20000918121745/http://www.graffe.com/home/October31st.htm) - Players level 35 and higher no longer need to open spellbook and press the meditate button.

August 30, 2000 (http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000830.html) - No longer have to manually press the "Meditate" button in your spell book to meditate.

March 29, 2002 (http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020319.html) - Spell casters no longer need to see their spell book when meditating. Once a character has the meditation skill, it will function when the character is sitting down.

Fianna
08-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Spelltimers, book medding, compass removal and all that stuff doesnt bother me.

However, removal of pet window, implementation of classic UI (with old hotbars) and 1 chat window only would make me cry like a big baby and possibly stop playing.

Please dont fuck with the UI ;__;

DevGrousis
08-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Levi fading will cause you death? wut? lol Enduring Breath is going to be the death of you all! haha

milsorgen
08-10-2015, 01:49 PM

The one true feature. Until this is brought in nothing matters.

Argentate
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
While we are at it, can we maybe make stamina relevant again? I remember the weight of the weapon affecting stamina usage, and with depleted stamina, attacks would begin to miss a lot.

Extinguish Fatigue was used very often back in the day.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 01:59 PM
So I saw this post, and chuckled to myself thinking "If only this guy knew I only med with my spell book".

why does this not surprise me =P

kaev
08-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Levi fading will cause you death? wut? lol Enduring Breath is going to be the death of you all! haha

You have enough time to mem EB and cast it, hell you have enough time to ask your mage buddy to mem spell and summon you a ring and hand it to you. But if you're levitating at an altitude that will kill you before you can stop moving and rebuff (peggy cloak is 10sec cast), or even if just dependant on somebody else casting, when lev wears off you are either very close to the ground or you are gonna splat.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
when lev wears off you are either very close to the ground or you are gonna splat.

because we are allowed to achieve non-classic framerates, falling damage is broken and insignificant

limit framerates to 60fps, reduce maximum client bandwidth, and introduce artificial packet loss for a true classic experience

applesauce25r624
08-10-2015, 02:07 PM
no buffs for you morons who think this was a good change

kaev
08-10-2015, 02:21 PM
no buffs for you morons who think this was a good change

The rest of us who think this is a good change are happy to give a pass to your buffs as well.

Corpsed
08-10-2015, 02:24 PM
You'll live

kaev
08-10-2015, 02:25 PM
because we are allowed to achieve non-classic framerates, falling damage is broken and insignificant

limit framerates to 60fps, reduce maximum client bandwidth, and introduce artificial packet loss for a true classic experience

Excellent plan, I'm down with that. Let's make all the framerate exploiters splat properly when they drop into the Hole. (I keep my framerate at 40 because mouselook on this crummy client sucks enough on my rig without making it suck extra hard due to elevated framerate.)

Daldaen
08-10-2015, 02:30 PM

This definitely is something I can get behind.

People not dying when jumping into Hole or from 7 to 2 in Sky makes me sad and lose immersion factor.

Pringles
08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Agreed on frame rate..... but bandwidth has minimal impact on our gameplay, its latency and packetloss thats the killer. We were running around on dialup latency/quality which was often 300ms+ and often a bit of packetloss. Here, I am always < 100 ms. EQ bandwidth is minimal (biggest bandwidth hit is when you're zoning so that would impact zone times). Introducing sudo latency would change a LOT of things (for MOAR classic!), especially on the PVP server.

Juevento
08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Instead of removing quality of life improvements, I'd love to see stamina working properly.

untergang
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM

People are running P99 at 60fps? Mouselook is borked (uneven vertical and horizontal sensitivty) if you don't cap your framerate at 30fps.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 03:44 PM
People are running P99 at 60fps? Mouselook is borked (uneven vertical and horizontal sensitivty) if you don't cap your framerate at 30fps.

I run at 100fps so that I don't take falling damage, and I have no issues with mouselook.

maskedmelon
08-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I run at 100fps so that I don't take falling damage, and I have no issues with mouselook.

How's that work? o.O

tizznyres
08-10-2015, 03:50 PM

I respect your standpoint, and love the work you do. But I find it extremely hard to believe that if the servers all-of-a-sudden dropped to 0 concurrent users daily, and all positive (and negative) feedback completely vanished, with no forum posts, bug reports, or anyone outside the core development team to parley with, that there would be as much motivation to maintain this project.

Motivation does not have to be financial to be meaningful, far from it.

Revelation
08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
You really want classic? Nothing higher than 56k modem.. nothing higher than windows 98... no flat screen monitors with resolutions that didn't exist back then.. no laser mouse... I can go on and on.. lol u classic guys are something else.

Plus I wanna see you guys download titanium on 56k :)

Warflagon
08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
If spell timers are so important to the feel of classic EQ...... then why are we playing in Kunark and vellious?

And why aren't lowbies required to look at their spell books to med? Or will that come some day?

I don't like the change to spell timers, but to be honest, the thing that surprises me more than the change, is the violent reaction to folks simply posting their opinions on the subject.

It doesn't seem very characteristic of the players I've met on the server in my time here.

Ele
08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
If spell timers are so important to the feel of classic EQ...... then why are we playing in Kunark and vellious?

And why aren't lowbies required to look at their spell books to med? Or will that come some day?

Because "Classic" as defined by the devs for this project is the original trilogy.

If the devs had an easy solution for the spell book and meditate buttons, they would have implemented it already. The devs have been able to take great strides in the last couple of years with UI fixes as they were finally able to enable and disable certain aspects of the client.

Expect more classic changes to come not fewer.

myriverse
08-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Because "classic" is Velious.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Because "Classic" as defined by the devs for this project is the original trilogy.

If the devs had an easy solution for the spell book and meditate buttons, they would have implemented it already. The devs have been able to take great strides in the last couple of years with UI fixes as they were finally able to enable and disable certain aspects of the client.

Expect more classic changes to come not fewer.

I think the real issue that people have is that there are a number of non-classic changes in place on the server, most notably the Ivandyr's Hoop nerf (but no nerfs to Soulfire or Reapers), FTE messages, and variance on raid mob spawn times.

It doesn't make very much sense to have strict adherence to "classic, warts and all" when there are also changes made specifically by the devs that are non-classic.

If you're going to remove buff timers, why keep FTE messages in place? It's essentially the same thing - additional information for the player that was not available during the timeline of the server (or ever, for FTE messages).

tristantio
08-10-2015, 04:37 PM
The things you mention are for the CSRs, not for the players.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
How's that work? o.O

No idea on the specifics but if your framerate is over 80 or so, you'll take no or drastically reduced falling damage. This is what allows people to pull mobs between islands in Sky, for example.

maskedmelon
08-10-2015, 04:47 PM
No idea on the specifics but if your framerate is over 80 or so, you'll take no or drastically reduced falling damage. This is what allows people to pull mobs between islands in Sky, for example.

D: how have I been so uninformed?! Well this makes a few things make sense... Fix plz!

drktmplr12
08-10-2015, 04:58 PM

many players don't understand the difference between CSR tools and buff timers.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 05:17 PM

I can see the logic, but if they are for CSRs why show them to players? Pulling an already-engaged raid mob off of another guild was illegal on live, just as it is here. Players didn't have FTE messages to work with.

Ele
08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
I think the real issue that people have is that there are a number of non-classic changes in place on the server, most notably the Ivandyr's Hoop nerf (but no nerfs to Soulfire or Reapers), FTE messages, and variance on raid mob spawn times.

It doesn't make very much sense to have strict adherence to "classic, warts and all" when there are also changes made specifically by the devs that are non-classic.

If you're going to remove buff timers, why keep FTE messages in place? It's essentially the same thing - additional information for the player that was not available during the timeline of the server (or ever, for FTE messages).

Just addressing the use of FTE messages, not advocating for or against them (they are clearly not classic), but just explaining the context and why they were implemented:

Without the use of FTE messages EVERY single boss kill with 2 more guilds present in the zone was immediately petitioned (a lot of times before the boss even died) to determine who had the rights to loot the corpse. A lot of boss kills turned into 150+ person dogpiles to kill steal each other. A lot of times GMs were not available immediately to call the engage and rightful loot owner, so people would loot the items and no drops and award items only to have the GMs later strip the items from the characters and give them to new characters because someone else actually had the rightful FTE. This resulted in quite of a number of epic weapons being destroyed, then the constituent pieces having to be reimbursed and the other pieces redistributed.

So instead of requiring that an unpaid volunteer GM be available for every single boss spawn and/or doing hours and hours of back in log pulls and item swaps each week, they added FTE messages which serve the same purpose of being a virtual "GM" to call the engage.

Duncon
08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I got conditioned to do it during classic and never changed. Even when I played live around 2011-2012 at level 90-95, I medded with spell book open every time. The only characters I had a Sit/Stand button accessible on were those who had FD.

I do this too out of habit, plus the spell book button is easier than having a sit key on your hotbar.

ryachart
08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Just addressing the use of FTE messages, not advocating for or against them (they are clearly not classic), but just explaining the context and why they were implemented:

Without the use of FTE messages EVERY single boss kill with 2 more guilds present in the zone was immediately petitioned (a lot of times before the boss even died) to determine who had the rights to loot the corpse. A lot of boss kills turned into 150+ person dogpiles to kill steal each other. A lot of times GMs were not available immediately to call the engage and rightful loot owner, so people would loot the items and no drops and award items only to have the GMs later strip the items from the characters and give them to new characters because someone else actually had the rightful FTE. This resulted in quite of a number of epic weapons being destroyed, then the constituent pieces having to be reimbursed and the other pieces redistributed.

So instead of requiring that an unpaid volunteer GM be available for every single boss spawn and/or doing hours and hours of back in log pulls and item swaps each week, they added FTE messages which serve the same purpose of being a virtual "GM" to call the engage.

The alternative to this is to just not answer the petitions and let the rules of the game take over. Warts and all as the zealots say.

The rules of the software are pretty clear about how this should work: whoever does 51% of the damage gets the loot. ( I think those are the rules, but admittedly I don't know the specific details).

The reason those petitions got answered at all was to create an environment that people actually want to play in. And ultimately, to keep an environment that people wanted to play in, that system was automated and improved to reduce the cost of maintaining that environment.

Despite what they say, the actions of the devs indicate that they want people to come here and enjoy playing the EverQuest that they remember.

I don't think there is a logically-consistent policy that determines which warts are acceptable and which aren't. We are at the mercy and whims of the devs here, and each person needs to decide for themselves whether or not they are okay with that. Lawyering and complaining on the forums isn't going to change the course of anything.

nyclin
08-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Lawyering and complaining on the forums isn't going to change the course of anything.

nope, but it sure as hell helps to pass the time at work

ryachart
08-10-2015, 05:48 PM
nope, but it sure as hell helps to pass the time at work

That it does.

winter888
08-10-2015, 09:24 PM

Agree with this post +1.

I think these non-classic changes are to make a more good environment for players to play, thus NOT for the server to be more classic.

So what's the goal of this server and what the dev want? I guess it's not to be strictly CLASSIC, but keeping the spirit of CLASSIC, to keep peoples feeling that it is a classic everquest for most of the content.

Classic is classic, no one can go back to 1999, there's no time mechine, no 56k modem,no 64m memory,no pentium cpu. So let the server be ,let the ui be. It's already very classic now, at least most players here feel so.

Nirgon
08-10-2015, 10:50 PM

H

stamina drain on melee, swim

penalties

100 stam cap

research done on it 8]

Argentate
08-10-2015, 11:19 PM

penalties

100 stam cap

research done on it 8]

Yes, please. Velious is very melee friendly. Need some Haynar to balance that flavor.

Hastley
08-10-2015, 11:40 PM
So, to answer the other thread entitled, "why don't more people play 99?"

Because it's intentionally clunky as shit.

WaAaaah couldn't get your eq live name !?! Waaaaaah cry more and fuck off

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-11-2015, 01:07 AM

penalties

100 stam cap

research done on it 8]

endurance mechanics 2016

Bboboo
08-11-2015, 06:48 AM

H

Sirken mentioned when bringing up your spellbook the entire screen should go black (aside from the spellbook) to simulate classic "bookface" while medding.

Is it possible to simulate having the blind effect on your character but having the spellbook a layer above blind? Could you give the spellbook a huge black background layer?

Thulghor
08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Wouldn't the rest of the UI be visible? Thought the book just filled the viewable port space? Or was it all the space? Been so long I can't remember.

Bboboo
08-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Then keep those winows above the blind layer.

Celatus
08-11-2015, 07:11 AM

of course they get a say in stuff. They need us as much as we need them. Thats why the server is public. Some of the changes advocated though are just absurd. Spell timers meh ill get used to it in a few days just like the sit to camp and stand to cast even though it was just a stupid change and a waste of dev time but its their time so its whatever.

Saying this is a classic server is just not true. The variance on mobs is not classic. IMO they should be going for the spirit of the game which lived on much further than the trilogy. Devs made the UI changes and such because they were fans of the game and wanted to make it better. Changing it back to be more classic is an insult to the work of the original devs who made this game that we all love. I don't care for the shitting on their work aspect of all of this.

Buellen
08-11-2015, 10:05 AM
With Respect Celatus

The server devs DO NOT NEED US. It has been posted before (don't have link handy) Rogen (paraphrasing) said that he does not care how many people are playing this game 5, 10, 100, 1000's. All he care is about creating classic server as possible within the time restriction to him self and the other devs.

WE all like to play here but WE DO NOT get to vote on what we all like or don't like to be changed or left alone, or added. Unless the devs ask in a polL. patch notes are not a poll as i understand it.

or more simply : It is their sandbox we are just allowed to frolic in it.

Monty405
08-11-2015, 10:43 AM
With Respect Celatus

The server devs DO NOT NEED US. It has been posted before (don't have link handy) Rogen (paraphrasing) said that he does not care how many people are playing this game 5, 10, 100, 1000's. All he care is about creating classic server as possible within the time restriction to him self and the other devs.

WE all like to play here but WE DO NOT get to vote on what we all like or don't like to be changed or left alone, or added. Unless the devs ask in a polL. patch notes are not a poll as i understand it.

We need a developer to state "THE VISION" every once and awhile as well.

Taeoz
08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
With Respect Celatus

That's really weird though, since they don't play in their own sandbox. Why would they bother spending time building a sandbox that just sits there, empty? I can't for the life of me believe that they don't care if the server is populated or not. The fact that there are players here enjoying the fruits of their labor is surely what gives meaning to their work, right? I know from my own experience that there is nothing more demoralizing than doing work that is meaningless (eg. creating extensive reports that nobody ever reads etc.).

Ele
08-11-2015, 01:07 PM
That's really weird though, since they don't play in their own sandbox. Why would they bother spending time building a sandbox that just sits there, empty? I can't for the life of me believe that they don't care if the server is populated or not. The fact that there are players here enjoying the fruits of their labor is surely what gives meaning to their work, right? I know from my own experience that there is nothing more demoralizing than doing work that is meaningless (eg. creating extensive reports that nobody ever reads etc.).

Once development is complete and a reroll server is released, some devs have expressed the desire to play since they won't have an active roll/bias in creating the content at that point.

myriverse
08-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I know it's weird. They don't get to benefit from their hours of hard work. They're just self-sacrificing that way.

Pras devs. Love em all, even if I don't get my Luclin models and cats on the moon. And timers. And...

Buellen
08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Taeoz

I really don't think of it as weird, I have done hobbies where no one else appreciate the end result but me.

It just so happens that Rogen and other devs Work on this server is a "Pass time" that we the players can enjoy through it growing pains.

PS

It helps if you think of this project as a Very Long BETA test.

Deliverator
08-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Bring the classic stone faced UI back! It's like an old school D&D player character sheet!

You realize that velious brought a completely different UI right? So ... how exactly would it be classic to force people into a UI that was replaced during classic?

Deliverator
08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Taeoz

I really don't think of it as weird, I have done hobbies where no one else appreciate the end result but me.

It just so happens that Rogen and other devs Work on this server is a "Pass time" that we the players can enjoy through it growing pains.

PS

It helps if you think of this project as a Very Long BETA test.

Actually if everyone stopped playing on his server I'm 99% sure he'd stop working on it. There is no point building a multi-player game with being the only one running around Norrath.

thraxll
08-11-2015, 01:51 PM
It's a shit change. not everything about classic was great. Buff timers were a quality of life change that people loved. If you DO find a way to get rid of displayed man avalues, Im gone for good.

Buellen
08-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Actually if everyone stopped playing on his server I'm 99% sure he'd stop working on it. There is no point building a multi-player game with being the only one running around Norrath.

Notice i said some player in my provious posts not zero. It is a Pass time to the devs that they enjoy with certain goals. IF you , me , and rest accept that and just enjoy the game AS THEY have it for us then we would all be happier.

In all the changes made to this server from time i started playing I have not seen the player base disappear. Some folks don't like something they move on. From memory no thread complain about a change has cause to revert a patch.

Erazmus
08-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Let's face it. Classic eq was hardcore. I played because it was fun and difficult. We just got so used to the easier aspects. I can't see any real change that would make me leave so long as its classic. I mean, that's why I play here.

Ele
08-11-2015, 02:03 PM
You realize that velious brought a completely different UI right? So ... how exactly would it be classic to force people into a UI that was replaced during classic?

There were really only minor improvements between Classic/Kunark UI and Velious UI. You may be thinking of the window box version of the Classic UI, but you could always toggle to fullscreen as shown in the first image below.

Classic/Kunark UI -> Velious UI
Amount of available hotbuttons went from 6 -> 10
More customization of windows sizes, fonts, and layouts.
Still only one chat window.

http://i.imgur.com/Z0TB0EB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6Jwc8IO.jpg

Ele
08-11-2015, 02:06 PM
It's a shit change. not everything about classic was great. Buff timers were a quality of life change that people loved. If you DO find a way to get rid of displayed man avalues, Im gone for good.

Are you constantly in a situation where you have to know the exact amount of mana you have?

People got along just fine for years knowing their mana based on 1 bubble, 1.5 bubbles, 2 bubbles, etc.

Daldaen
08-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Are you constantly in a situation where you have to know the exact amount of mana you have?

People got along just fine for years knowing their mana based on 1 bubble, 1.5 bubbles, 2 bubbles, etc.

Likewise they got along just fine with their EXP.

Getting 2 Blue Bubbles after an hour of EXP is great! However on P99, if it's anything less than 9% it's terrible! Removing the %age display of EXP and returning to bubble terminology would definitely increase my immersion.

Just like people selling a bag at Torch one that they would open a trade with you and you could look through their stuff because it's easier to do that than list out all the stats cause no item linking. Whenever someone offers to sell a bag of items in EC I always browse because of how classic that is.

Shjade
08-11-2015, 06:40 PM

Just curious: why would this primarily benefit bards?

I only played a bard in classic EQ, so I was used to switching between hotbutton pages if needed, but usually all the songs I knew I'd be needing in a given situation were on my first hotbutton page anyway. Why would having a bunch of extra buttons benefit bards more than other classes?

(Haven't played a bard past level 6 on P99, and I've been using just one hotbutton page on my necro, so maybe I just don't understand what I'm missing here?)

Taeoz
08-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Just like people selling a bag at Torch one that they would open a trade with you and you could look through their stuff because it's easier to do that than list out all the stats cause no item linking. Whenever someone offers to sell a bag of items in EC I always browse because of how classic that is.

I wonder if that's also server specific culture thing - I can't remember that happening that often where I played (Saryrn - and later Antonius Bayle, though that server opened pretty close to SoL launch). But I definitely remember writing up stats after the names of items, when auctioning.

Then again, maybe I wasn't spending as much time in NFP trying to hawk goods back then to notice it.

Proven Guilty
08-11-2015, 08:13 PM
I remember when they took target rings out of the game too and nerfed light blue back to green. It will be okay friends.

Erazmus
08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Playing games is hard...

Millburn
08-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Welcome to P99 bud, where Classic is what matters and not your feelings.

Itap
08-11-2015, 11:31 PM
I think that logo in the top left corner of this page says classic everquest. I could be wrong though

Silent
08-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Its horrible change, period. This isn't classic no matter what you say. It might be LABELED classic, but nothing about the servers let alone red is classic at all. Hey let me click my golem wand OH WAIT CAST TIME, gate pot OH WAIT CAST TIME. It is ok to interfere with the game to make non classic stuff, but then go and revert shit to classic after years later. Just stupid, and all of you bluebie tards especially, who don't even play EQ anymore sitting here forumquesting to make things worse you're a bunch of losers.

also lol @ getting mad over people who use log file programs, its 2015. Stop trying to claim a classic server that is FAR from classic. cuz we all know 3 years of kunark was entirely classic. 50+ aon's going into velious, CLASSIC. All I read is a bunch of people who don't play, yaying on changes that don't effect them.

Zulzephur - Tarew Marr
08-12-2015, 01:55 AM
I miss buff timers too, but umm... it's their server; they can do what they want with it.

You do not have to play here.

Everything is subject to change.

Not all fixes and reverting to "Classic" will be made in one single patch.

And if you REALLY wanted your buff timers back; there is a way. Have at it if you must.

McBenz
08-12-2015, 02:34 AM
Buff timer:

Cast it on yourself before casting the same spell on group members. When you see the spell fading off yourself, it's time to redo yourself and everyone else again.

Silent
08-12-2015, 07:44 AM
glad a bunch of bluebies understand how important buffing is. go sit on vindi with 500 people

felix7
08-12-2015, 08:10 AM
I miss them, a lot.

But I choose to play on a Private Server where I have no say in how it runs. And I love it!

Donated. Thank you to the devs and all who make P99 what it is.

That includes the disproportionately angry mofo's, who, through their mean and colorful language are really saying 'we love the server, we just don't know how to articulate to you, the devs our constructive ideas on improving the server'

Zeonick
08-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Ooooh. So the staff implemented a non-classic feature because it was a kind of... quality of life upgrade. That makes sense. Yep.

Ele
08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Ooooh. So the staff implemented a non-classic feature because it was a kind of... quality of life upgrade. That makes sense. Yep.

Being the staff and all, they kind of get to do what they want to make it easier on themselves.

Zeonick
08-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Being the staff and all, they kind of get to do what they want to make it easier on themselves.

Yeah man, I totally agree with their thinking on that one. Sacrificing some pain-in-the-ass classic features for some more modern, quality of life features sounds like a rock-solid plan. They should think about doing the same sort of thing for the playerbase. That'd be saaweet!

#DisgruntledShaman

nyclin
08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
somewhere, someone is masturbating furiously to the tears in this thread

Daldaen
08-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Yeah man, I totally agree with their thinking on that one. Sacrificing some pain-in-the-ass classic features for some more modern, quality of life features sounds like a rock-solid plan. They should think about doing the same sort of thing for the playerbase. That'd be saaweet!

#DisgruntledShaman

Can't wait for Guild Lobby, Extended Target Window, HoTT window, Spell Casting Awareness, Inspect Buffs, Target Rings, Compass, Maps, Seeing Group Members Mana, Out of Combat Regen!

Loved all those quality of life updates.

absol
08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
If I was on staff, the first thing I'd do is go after all the people with non-classic names. The ones with names that reference pop culture, or names that are sentances, any names that don't adhere to the naming policy. Sure, there was a bit of that in classic, but it was nowhere near as prevalent as it is on P1999.

Be glad I'm not on staff. They may not have time to police the names on the server, but I would, and you guys with the kooky names I'd go after first. Then I'd go after the guild names.

And both camps, classic and non-classic, would learn to hate me. And your tears would be my bidet.

Zeonick
08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Can't wait for Guild Lobby, Extended Target Window, HoTT window, Spell Casting Awareness, Inspect Buffs, Target Rings, Compass, Maps, Seeing Group Members Mana, Out of Combat Regen!

Loved all those quality of life updates.

Nice slippery slope argument there. I dont think anyone playing on a classic server wants all the features of live. I dont. There are just a select few that really make the game more enjoyable. I can live with the buff timers. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. But there are certain parts of classic that are just so outdated, and were fixed for a reason. I just really want to keep mousewheel scroll :)

Lady Julae
08-12-2015, 01:22 PM
NEWS FLASH:

Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. reports record sales of Kleenex Brand Tissue since P99 nerfed spell timers.

Seriously, this discussion is still going on? And you all made fun of the Pro-Luclin Model community?

Daldaen
08-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Nice slippery slope argument there. I dont think anyone playing on a classic server wants all the features of live. I dont. There are just a select few that really make the game more enjoyable. I can live with the buff timers. It sucks, but it's not a huge deal. But there are certain parts of classic that are just so outdated, and were fixed for a reason. I just really want to keep mousewheel scroll :)

My point was each individual wants to mix and match what "quality of life" features they feel are acceptable on this server.

The problem is most every one of them makes the game easier, and allows players to play more precisely/quickly/efficiently.

Playing a CC or Debuff class without Cycle Target hotkey is very different. Enchanters are godlike because of that hotkey, without it locking down 8 targets in a small space is immensely harder. In close situations where you need another tick or two of mana to cast a spell, being able to see your exact mana value is quite helpful. When lulling or splitting a room, being able to scroll out and get some targets is far faster than swapping between 5 crappy F9 views and the one you want, and then panning around to get the right angle and then panning back to the view you want etc.

So instead of letting players pick and choose the ones they feel benefit them the most, just go 100% Classic as far as the developers can within the limitations of the client/code.

Really though... Some people will quit each time a change happens, and that's fine. But the vast majority will cry on the boards, and then forget about it in 2 weeks when you're used to it.

It's happened with the maps, the compass, target rings, con colors, buff timers, low HP buff removal, cast timers on clickies, luclin models, etc. etc. All that stuff got banished and most people have forgotten it used to be here and how it worked.

Man0warr
08-12-2015, 01:51 PM
None of those are big deals - especially if you have played EQ enough where you don't need maps, compasses, or con colors because you know it all by heart.

But A LOT of people would quit if you removed Duxa (or even the Titanium default UI) and forced 10 hotkeys/1 chat window.

milsorgen
08-12-2015, 01:54 PM
somewhere, someone is masturbating furiously to the tears in this thread

http://media0.giphy.com/media/vOChGLRKo2o0M/giphy.gif

Zeonick
08-12-2015, 04:17 PM
My point was each individual wants to mix and match what "quality of life" features they feel are acceptable on this server.

The problem is most every one of them makes the game easier, and allows players to play more precisely/quickly/efficiently.

Playing a CC or Debuff class without Cycle Target hotkey is very different. Enchanters are godlike because of that hotkey, without it locking down 8 targets in a small space is immensely harder. In close situations where you need another tick or two of mana to cast a spell, being able to see your exact mana value is quite helpful. When lulling or splitting a room, being able to scroll out and get some targets is far faster than swapping between 5 crappy F9 views and the one you want, and then panning around to get the right angle and then panning back to the view you want etc.

So instead of letting players pick and choose the ones they feel benefit them the most, just go 100% Classic as far as the developers can within the limitations of the client/code.

Really though... Some people will quit each time a change happens, and that's fine. But the vast majority will cry on the boards, and then forget about it in 2 weeks when you're used to it.

It's happened with the maps, the compass, target rings, con colors, buff timers, low HP buff removal, cast timers on clickies, luclin models, etc. etc. All that stuff got banished and most people have forgotten it used to be here and how it worked.

All good points. I joined the server about 2 years ago, and really enjoyed things how they were. I wasn't totally aware that the server was slowely approaching a more classic state, so the changes have been a little surprising as I once thought the setup was "stable" I can live with the changes!

Daldaen
08-12-2015, 04:37 PM
All good points. I joined the server about 2 years ago, and really enjoyed things how they were. I wasn't totally aware that the server was slowely approaching a more classic state, so the changes have been a little surprising as I once thought the setup was "stable" I can live with the changes!

When I started in-game maps still worked in starter zones, you could create halfling Paladins and rangers, target rings displayed your target and con color, items displayed their cast time, etc.

The entire server has progressed greatly since its inception. Each one of these changes is a step closer to the classic era.

People tend to focus on the negatives though, the removal of things they liked. Plenty of things have been added/made more classic that benefit everyone that people tend to forget. Specialization for example was made a flat rate rather than a random % (because classic), as a result all mana users end up using less mana. DoTs all gained a tick duration based off a recent bug report empowering casters with DoTs. Instant clicky to refresh global cool down was a manual addition that wasn't in on the server originally. Among many other classic changes that people love and utilize every day.

I get that people see something they had get taken away, and get frustrated. But you lived with it just fine back in 2001, you'll do just fine now that you're 15 years older.

kaev
08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
The only change that actually bothered me was the loss of targeting rings. I hate melee'ing flying mobs in EQ, it's so annoying and stupid the way the mechanics work, very nearly annoying enough to get me to play an int caster.

Still, old-school EQ is so much more entertaining than the thing it grew into that it's easy to do without the things I liked about the evolved client/UI.

Itap
08-12-2015, 05:25 PM
When I started in-game maps still worked in starter zones, you could create halfling Paladins and rangers, target rings displayed your target and con color, items displayed their cast time, etc.

The entire server has progressed greatly since its inception. Each one of these changes is a step closer to the classic era.

People tend to focus on the negatives though, the removal of things they liked. Plenty of things have been added/made more classic that benefit everyone that people tend to forget. Specialization for example was made a flat rate rather than a random % (because classic), as a result all mana users end up using less mana. DoTs all gained a tick duration based off a recent bug report empowering casters with DoTs. Instant clicky to refresh global cool down was a manual addition that wasn't in on the server originally. Among many other classic changes that people love and utilize every day.

I get that people see something they had get taken away, and get frustrated. But you lived with it just fine back in 2001, you'll do just fine now that you're 15 years older.

Great post here, Dald

Itap
08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
I would also like to add that the people that are frustrated by classic changes are usually the ones who have only been around a few months. While I'm not a veteran player here(3 years), I've been here long enough to see a lot of the changes that Dald mentioned in the post above. You don't think I miss getting full HP/Mana on every ding? Every step they take to add/remove non classic mechanics is a step in the right direction, since the goal of this project is to imitate 1999-2001 Everquest

felixecho
08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I get the feeling sometimes that people here really didn't play back in the old days.

It kinda baffles me how there are arguments over the quality of client enhancements being a bad thing, I seem to recall that no one complained about them back in the aught-naughts (2000's).

People did complain about releases of half baked products, content problems, bugs, patches taking forever, servers brought down with too much traffic on an update.

But really, QoL enhancements to the client being bitched about, seriously? I don't recall anything like that ever happening in those days.

I get nostalgia, I am over 40 years old, I totally get that. This place seems more like it's run by 20-something hipsters that are grasping at a past that will ever elude them since they are too young to know better.

I have very serious doubts that true ol' folks run this place, it seems that with age comes the wisdom to know that bullshit should not be tolerated when people are trying to have fun, and SonyEQ produced quite a bit of BS, especially from the mind of BM, who got shit canned, as I recall. (Or left for other projects with a trail of flowers and perfume as well as a parade of virgins throwing rose pedals at his feet, thanking him for such a great game.)

Oh, and didn't anyone see The Guild episodes making fun of SOE? Uh, they were not inaccurate, that place was run by complete idiots for quite a bit of time.... which is why WoW ate their ever-luvin lunch...

/rant

jcr4990
08-12-2015, 08:50 PM
I get the feeling sometimes that people here really didn't play back in the old days.

It kinda baffles me how there are arguments over the quality of client enhancements being a bad thing, I seem to recall that no one complained about them back in the aught-naughts (2000's).

People did complain about releases of half baked products, content problems, bugs, patches taking forever, servers brought down with too much traffic on an update.

But really, QoL enhancements to the client being bitched about, seriously? I don't recall anything like that ever happening in those days.

I get nostalgia, I am over 40 years old, I totally get that. This place seems more like it's run by 20-something hipsters that are grasping at a past that will ever elude them since they are too young to know better.

I have very serious doubts that true ol' folks run this place, it seems that with age comes the wisdom to know that bullshit should not be tolerated when people are trying to have fun, and SonyEQ produced quite a bit of BS, especially from the mind of BM, who got shit canned, as I recall. (Or left for other projects with a trail of flowers and perfume as well as a parade of virgins throwing rose pedals at his feet, thanking him for such a great game.)

Oh, and didn't anyone see The Guild episodes making fun of SOE? Uh, they were not inaccurate, that place was run by complete idiots for quite a bit of time.... which is why WoW ate their ever-luvin lunch...

/rantPeople didn't complain in 1999-2001 cause SoE wasn't REMOVING QoL mechanics in the game they were ADDING them. Duh? The VAST majority of players enjoyed most of the QoL changes. Contrary to popular belief around these parts EQ was thriving and had tons of players (Pre-WoW numbers anyway) all the way through PoP/GoD and arguably even OoW. But ask any "Shit's Classic" neckbeard around here and literally every person stopped playing EQ in Luclin. Simply not true and blows my mind that people could even think it's anything close to true.

Buellen
08-12-2015, 10:12 PM
let see:
Research done an proven many times that these "QOL" things you all want where not in during the stated goals of this server.

SO because you all want these "QOL" things , Then the server admins should just change their stated goal for this server.

YEA that makes sense (rolls eyes)

PS

Since so many are fans of these QOL items guess what their is two other server you can play on that have these in. TAK project and Project 2002.

Daldaen
08-12-2015, 10:36 PM
let see:
Research done an proven many times that this QOL you all want where not in during the stated goals of this server.

SO because you all want these QOL things , Then the server admins should just change their stated goal for this server.

YEA that makes sense (rolls eyes)

PS

Since so many are fans of these QOL items guess what their is two other server you can play on that have these in. TAK project and Project 2002.

TAK has less quality of life things cause it uses a more classic client.

No Scroll Wheel to 3rd, no cycle targets hotkey, no mana in inventory display, no buff timers, no maps, only 1 hotbutton page.

Does have compass though!

Would love if that client were compatible with our code but I'm guessing it isn't.

utenan
08-12-2015, 10:36 PM
I have fun when I play Everquest - Thanks devs!

Buellen
08-12-2015, 10:40 PM
TAK has less quality of life things cause it uses a more classic client.

No Scroll Wheel to 3rd, no cycle targets hotkey, no mana in inventory display, no buff timers, no maps, only 1 hotbutton page.

Does have compass though!

Would love if that client were compatible with our code but I'm guessing it isn't.

Thanks Dald i stand corrected 8) suggest PEQ server then

Grimjaw
08-13-2015, 01:36 AM

H