PDA

View Full Version : Specific patch note that hurts the most.

topgun1027
08-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Haynar: Timers removed from spell buffs

Not cooool.

Crevex
08-09-2015, 04:36 AM
when where they added if they are not classic? this is a brutal change

Cecily
08-09-2015, 04:43 AM
I, too, am sad about this change to make the game more classic and will spend many paragraphs explaining why it is important to me that maps be put back in game.

dnatabar
08-09-2015, 04:44 AM
This is gonna be a pain, but shits classic i guess

Rararboker
08-09-2015, 04:45 AM
Only buffs I have to cast are self buffs and they last for about 2 hours. It ain't no thang!

eisley
08-09-2015, 04:46 AM
buffs will be dropping left and right. mass hysteria

Cecily
08-09-2015, 04:48 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that inevitable 5 seconds of SHHHHHIIITTTTTT when my levi drops.

dnatabar
08-09-2015, 04:49 AM
By the way, i just checked the EULA.

Anything that reads the log file is no longer explicitly allowed.
Not against the EULA either, but it not explicitly allowed as it used to be

jwargod
08-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Wonder if all those streamers(and non streamers) with custom UIs will get auto banned.

Clark
08-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Not cooool.

Jimjam
08-09-2015, 05:00 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that inevitable 5 seconds of SHHHHHIIITTTTTT when my levi drops.

Rebinding my peg cloak to when I breath in.

dnatabar
08-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Well as it is now, Log Parser are not against the rules, as the information they "read" are already readily available.

Though Custom UIs are i guess, sort of against the EULA since it modifies the game files.

LGraves
08-09-2015, 06:12 AM
this is annoying

Riotgirl
08-09-2015, 06:20 AM

This.

Time to buy an old fashioned egg-timer.

DeadlyReza
08-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Well as it is now, Log Parser are not against the rules, as the information they "read" are already readily available.

Though Custom UIs are i guess, sort of against the EULA since it modifies the game files.

So duxa UI is illegal?

Swish
08-09-2015, 07:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/GyaUGaT.gif

Also I bet Daldaen has rubbed himself raw after that one. Don't forget the lotion pal.

dnatabar
08-09-2015, 07:39 AM
So duxa UI is illegal?

Well, Personally i'm not gonna stop using a custom UI until we get an official response if custom UIs are allowed or not.

I love DuxaUI!

and i really hope it wont be disallowed in the near future.

myriverse
08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Not gonna stop using custom UI regardless.

webrunner5
08-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Not gonna stop using custom UI regardless.

I agree. There is a workaround around everything. :D

nivikk
08-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Set up GINA
http://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/

to watch your buff timers

Taeoz
08-09-2015, 01:43 PM
I wonder - is there a list of still-to-come classic fixed somewhere?

I didn't use Luclin models, so that was fine. I can use GINA to monitor buff timers. I don't mind having to stand up to cast spells. Etc. So far, I'm good. But if we keep going down this path, I'm worried that at one point there will be QoL nerf that will break the camel's back. I'd like to know ahead of time if such a nerf may be coming, so that I can quit before I invest even more time into my characters and go waste my time elsewhere instead.

jcr4990
08-09-2015, 02:10 PM
By the way, i just checked the EULA.

Anything that reads the log file is no longer explicitly allowed.
Not against the EULA either, but it not explicitly allowed as it used to be

As of 11:15 AM PST from the in-game P99 EULA I quote "Programs that provide audible queues or overlay information by only reading the Everquest log files are currently allowed"

milsorgen
08-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Wonder if all those streamers(and non streamers) with custom UIs will get auto banned.

We can only hope and pray that they do.

http://media.giphy.com/media/RgYEKFEYUpfkQ/giphy.gif

Rivthis
08-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Had my lev drop when I was pretty high up in the air...

I didn't fall to the ground, was frozen there for a bit than I finally fell..

Bug or intentional?

Swish
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Shutting down the streamers for that wouldn't be good for server promotion though, would it?

Aviann
08-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Shutting down the streamers for that wouldn't be good for server promotion though, would it?

Good for our community, or good for the 15 people who are watching said person's stream... that already play on p99?

rollin5k
08-09-2015, 03:23 PM
All the folks bitching about classic changes is funny. You think it's going to hurt the population and make the devs look like assholes. But classic changes really give them more credibility.

Swish
08-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Good for our community, or good for the 15 people who are watching said person's stream... that already play on p99?

I linger in many a stream on P99. People often come in and ask what Project 1999 is not knowing its an emulator and ask how they can get started.

Better to have that avenue open for new players than closed with just that "progression" junk going on.

Cecily
08-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Had my lev drop when I was pretty high up in the air...

I didn't fall to the ground, was frozen there for a bit than I finally fell..

Bug or intentional?

EQ is and always has been loaded with bugs. About a year or two ago, I was camping RS in Dreadlands and logged out. I logged back in and was about mile up in the air. Worst way to start an EQ session ever. But with Levi, what should happen is you get a message that you're about to fall and have a tick or two to get to a safe altitude or fall out of the sky like a stone. This isn't a problem unless you miss the message or are way too high up to get down.

Also, never trust a bard to levi you.

jwargod
08-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Could argue the same for all the people who claim they don't play on p1999 because of no boxing.

Danth
08-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I wonder - is there a list of still-to-come classic fixed somewhere?.

If you played classic era (original game through Velious), remember back and that's what they ultimately want P1999 to be like, mechanically. That's your list. They'd even force the Velious UI if they could.

If you never played classic--a lot of folks here didn't--there are only a few really big things left. The UI, with one chat window and book-in-the-face meditating--is the biggest (but also probably the least likely). Dark night time is another, and mouse wheel scrolling out your view is a third. Those are probably the "Big Three" that would cause the most annoyance.

Danth

Ele
08-09-2015, 06:08 PM
PATCH MESSAGE WITH UI CHANGE:

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19267&highlight=buff+timers

7/14/2004

UI Changes
-------------------
- It is now possible to display your mana as a numeric value on your inventory screen. *
- By mousing over your buff icons, you will now be able to see the buffs remaining duration. *

Gumbo
08-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Set up GINA
http://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/

to watch your buff timers

Where do you find the LOG files to get started?

Ele
08-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Where do you find the LOG files to get started?

The folder in your EQ directory called logs.

Voland
08-09-2015, 06:46 PM
If you played classic era (original game through Velious), remember back and that's what they ultimately want P1999 to be like, mechanically. That's your list. They'd even force the Velious UI if they could.

If you never played classic--a lot of folks here didn't--there are only a few really big things left. The UI, with one chat window and book-in-the-face meditating--is the biggest (but also probably the least likely). Dark night time is another, and mouse wheel scrolling out your view is a third. Those are probably the "Big Three" that would cause the most annoyance.

Danth

There is also classic merchant UI, which doesnt show prices and item counts.
And Tab cycling thru targets, both features are post-POP.

Gumbo
08-09-2015, 07:57 PM
The folder in your EQ directory called logs.

Technically yes but they are not in the LOGS folder until you enable them.

Taeoz
08-09-2015, 11:43 PM

Danth

Yeah, I started EQ late during Velious so most of my playtime was outside "classic" era, so I can't really remember all the stuff from back then. But that list seems ok. I used Velious UI when I played. Spell book thing would be kinda annoying, but I think it would add some enjoyment as well, in the form of danger - so it might not be all bad. I do use mouse wheel scrolling a bunch though...but I think I could get used to hitting F9 a bunch again, as well.

So good. It's all stuff I could live with.

Riotgirl
08-10-2015, 03:10 AM
I would struggle with Classic UI and mouse scrolling.

I love Lee Wong's Clear UI. Crisp, uncluttered, and I really like the re-skinning of the spell-book and spell icons. Mouse scrolling because of the convenience of 3rd person view.

Some of the reasons that I enjoy EQ this time round, are some of the unclassic features - predominantly UI and controls, as opposed to gameplay mechanics, which is a large part for why many of us play a 16 year old MMO. Witness the clamour for progression on Live, and the new vanilla WOW server.

However, the aim of P99 is to make the server as Classic as possible. It has been wonderful to have another opportunity to enjoy EQ as I largely remember it (Mr Alzheimer is rushing towards me with open arms) - albeit, there are some classic features that I disliked back then and dislike now (see above).

It does seem odd, as one poster stated, to progress in content, but regress in function.

dnatabar
08-10-2015, 06:53 AM
As of 11:15 AM PST from the in-game P99 EULA I quote "Programs that provide audible queues or overlay information by only reading the Everquest log files are currently allowed"

I could had sworn that i had looked it through and didn't see that in it anymore, i'l check it up again when i get back home.

But if it is still there, it is perfectly legit to use GINA, Map Overlays, no matter what people think is classic or not.

redhorse
08-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I know it's been mentioned in threads similar to this one. But the thing I always think about when I read these, "now more classic" threads is: What about teamspeak and vent? The capability voice chat adds to eq, especially in raids, has a tremendous impact. Plinking away at removing mob con colors, compasses, even buff timers seems pale in comparison. Especially if custom UI's restoring some lost functionality are legal.

I know there was a small percentage of the playerbase that had access to and used voice chat back in the classic era. However, there were also roads and cars in 1930. The efficacy and prevalence of the implementation yields a completely different degree of impact.

Kutsumo
08-10-2015, 08:44 AM
I know it's been mentioned in threads similar to this one. But the thing I always think about when I read these, "now more classic" threads is: What about teamspeak and vent? The capability voice chat adds to eq, especially in raids, has a tremendous impact. Plinking away at removing mob con colors, compasses, even buff timers seems pale in comparison. Especially if custom UI's restoring some lost functionality are legal.

I know there was a small percentage of the playerbase that had access to and used voice chat back in the classic era. However, there were also roads and cars in 1930. The efficacy and prevalence of the implementation yields a completely different degree of impact.

Yes it gets constantly mentioned. You could argue that people having memories of the content is non-classic. You could argue that having thorough online resources is non-classic. From what I can see, they're just trying to make things that they can control as classic as possible. Arguments about things they can't control are largely pointless.

Zlain
08-10-2015, 03:30 PM
You not classic nerds need to leave your basements occasionally.

justin2090
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM

not classic

Itap
08-10-2015, 09:11 PM

We live in penthouses now, overlooking you casual scum. You mad?

DarthMartigan
08-10-2015, 09:33 PM
As a bard, this has been devastating. Can't tell how long to leave each song up. Considering refilling.

indiscriminate_hater
08-10-2015, 09:36 PM
As a bard, this has been devastating. Can't tell how long to leave each song up. Considering refilling.

assuming this is troll since it's not hard to press 1-2-3-4 over and over again.

any minor inconvenience this caused has been more than made up for with the extra DoT tick - can keep 5 DoTs up no problem now

Jimjam
08-12-2015, 01:34 AM

Pour that bard another drink.

Zeonick
08-12-2015, 09:32 AM
P2002 has no tab targeting, no mousewheel scroll, no tell windows, very limited options/graphics options. I have to say, it's pretty damn rough. As others have said, its the game mechanics that people love about eq, the community, etc. Not the horrible controls and view points. Keep some quality of life.

Ele
08-12-2015, 10:11 AM
P2002 has no tab targeting, no mousewheel scroll, no tell windows, very limited options/graphics options. I have to say, it's pretty damn rough. As others have said, its the game mechanics that people love about eq, the community, etc. Not the horrible controls and view points. Keep some quality of life.

We need to get that code!

Thana8088
08-12-2015, 10:14 AM

I <3 you Ele, but I also kind of want to kill you. :p

Haynar
08-12-2015, 10:37 AM

That older version of eq uses a totally different communication protocol. Its not compatible with the codebase here. It wouldn't be able to connect without a massive overhaul of the net code.

Ele
08-12-2015, 10:41 AM
That older version of eq uses a totally different communication protocol. Its not compatible with the codebase here. It wouldn't be able to connect without a massive overhaul of the net code.

I know, just wishful thinking we could incorporate it. :( Isn't it the same issue with the EQC development since they built the client from scratch or whatever?