PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness (RAoK)

Charlievox
08-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Ok, I've been here for a little over a month now and have to say that P99 is populated by some of the most generous and helpful people I have ever met in a MMORPG.

So I thought I'd start a thread for folks to relate some of the RAoK's they have encountered.

First RAoK:
Third day on the server and my baby DE Mage in sitting in the tunnel trying desperately to sell a stack or two of bone chips so I could buy my level 4 spells and get my pets (aside: sucks that Mages have to wait till lvl 4 for their pets. Lucky Necros...). After an hour I whined in frustration, "Will someone PLEASE buy my bone chips so this level 4 Mage can get his new spells?!"
Suddenly, my trade window opens with 50p in it. I start moving my bone chips into the window, but the trade is canceled. I get a tell. "Keep your bone chips." And the trade window opens back up with the 50p. I take the money and start slobbering thanks and he says "Wait here." A few minutes later he's back and starts handing me a full set of Raw Silk armor. I was so surprised that I failed to even take note of his name.

Most recent RAoK:
Just last night I am in Steamfont working on my brand new Gnome Necro. He's at lvl 3. I come out of the Windmill after dumping a load of loot and there is a high level Necro floating outside. Just for kicks I hail him and say, "When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!" He chuckles and hits me with DMF. Then says, "I have something for you." And hands me 89p. "I know spells are your biggest expense at your level." And runs off.
Now my baby Necro has ALL of his spells thru lvl 12!

My Iksar Necro recieved a Tier Dal Enchanted Great Staff on his very first day of existence and was simply told to Pay It Forward. Now my Lizard hands out Raw Silk armor to newbie Necros in FoB.

What are some of your favorite RAoK's?

Charlievox
08-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Probably should have posted this in Server Chat. Maybe one of the Mods can move it?

curtischoy
08-11-2015, 12:22 PM
My first character on red was lvl 16 at the time and a random guy in unrest came up to me and I thought "shit, I only have some leather and a splintering club on this guy, he's gonna murder me." Instead he handed me 5 pieces of bronze armor and asked if I wanted to group. We got some exp and good times were had.

tabias16
08-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I've been thinking about making a thread like this myself. I'm very new to the server (about a month or so of playing) and I have to say that this has been the most pleasurable experience I have ever had with an MMO. P99 clearly attracts a very mature and respectful player base. Even in the last month, I have had multiple instances where people have given me gear, plat and advice without a blink.

I'm only lvl 20 now, but I'm doing my best to pay it forward to other folks whenever I'm in the newbie zones =)

Likwitsnake
08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Ive been playing here for about a week. People have been beyond nice. Im leveling up a ranger and had someone give me a Long bow. Nothing fancy but starting from scratch every little bit really helps! People have been very helpful in answering my silly questions about things I've forgotten in the last 12 years.

I forgot how much of a challenge a ranger is decked out in cloth lol!

If anyone ever wants to group im in Gfay on my ranger (see username) or mage solidsnke and would love to blow some stuff up!

Letheor
08-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm on the 'Blue' server and have experienced the same thing. Was running around with my low level Halfling cleric and someone gave me a bunch of sewing kits to use as containers, and one of them was filled with leather armor!

Later I was on my lvl 4 human pally in Freeport and I was asking someone for advice on what price I might sell some stacks of bone chips for. The person asked me what kind of armor I had on, ran to the bank and brought back some armor and weapons they didn't need. Later on I was at the bank in N. Freeport. Someone came in, looked at my gear and handed me a very nice BP, a nice two-handed axe and 100p! Naturally I thanked both people profusely, saying that someday I hoped to be able to repay their kindness. They just told me to pay it forward, which I intended to do.

Since then, I have been able to help out some new players. I've given people that cloth armor that drops from skellies and orc pawns in the newb area. It's not much, but when all you have is the starting cloth tunic and weapon, it helps. I had bought some banded gloves and a neck piece which I gave away instead of selling. Also gave one player a packpack and a stack of water and rations in addition to a bunch of cloth armor I was wearing (which didn't take me long to replace), and about 10p. As I level up and become more 'wealthy' I hope to be able to do more.

It's not much, but at level 1 or 2, every little bit helps. All these RAoK do go a long way in making what can be a difficult time a lot easier, and I believe it does a great deal to enhance people's playing experience and perception of the game.

Muggens
08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
On red as a level 10 something Wizard, I was alone in CB killing orcs when I see a pair of blue eyes peeking at me behind a hilltop, a tiny dwarf reveals himself before I go blind. I can hear him doing his barrelroll as he nears me, then the horrible pounding in darkness. When I came to my senses and light returned to me I was left alone with just a slither of health left. The dwarf had left. I sent him a tell "I see you are highly trained in the Guantanamo/Abu Ghraib skills and techs". I started /who'ing alot. Suddenly he is back, appears on the /who. Oh no, I'm gonna get so much ass raping now, I'm thinking to myself. Once again he pops up behind the hill, but no Blind this time and he bodyslams himself jumping down to me, I say "Hold it dwarf man, dont molest me no more!" but he says he's sorry and gives me all his buffs and even some orc belts! What a turnaround from this guy eh! Such a sweet dwarf deep in his heart.

captnamazing
08-11-2015, 06:07 PM
When I was a fresh faced scrub in Misty Thicket, I took to demanding tribute from the passing high levels. Stembolt (founder of Knights Who Say Ni) gave me some Black Iron gear from Runnyeye, 2 55 HP rings, and a Fine steel wep. Good dude all around and I love him.

Greengrocer
08-11-2015, 06:14 PM
This message goes out to ASHON, the kind soul who I met on the very first raft to Iceclad! He helped get me tucked into Thurgadin all safe and sound. A very scary run for a level 1 chef like myself!! Without his help, I might still be looking for my corpse in the middle of a dark, scary, icy ocean!

During the run, we even got to see the very first Lodizal fight as we ran by! It was really a great experience and I'm lucky to have run into you, Ashon! I'm kicking myself that I didn't get pictures along the way, but it's something I'll never forget, and I'm sure will be one of my all time favorite tales of adventure in my time here.

Thanks again, Ashon!

Here is an artist's depiction of the journey:
http://i.imgur.com/KRNZrqx.jpg

Voland
08-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Here is an artist's depiction of the journey:
http://i.imgur.com/KRNZrqx.jpg

Awesome picture! Do you have any more like this?

Naxy
08-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Random Acts of Kindness. That is a guild name that must happen. Can I join?

indiscriminate_hater
08-11-2015, 06:39 PM
RAOK: tiggles stopped playing on blue

Sorn
08-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Random Acts of Kindness. That is a guild name that must happen. Can I join?

What, you want to start a guild?

Tahlvin
08-11-2015, 06:49 PM
When I first started I was struggling to buy my spells and saw someone paying 20p for a foraged Misty Acorn which I jumped on.

I thanked them profusely explaining that I was new and this was going to help so much. Then a new trade window opened up with a Smoldering Brand. That weapon alone made the early levels so much easier, especially those without Meditate.

I now do the same for any newbies that I come across using rusty weapons if I have a better weapon on me, even if it's only a Fine Steel weapon.

drelk001
08-11-2015, 09:57 PM
a random act of kindness on red?

sounds far-fetched...

captnamazing
08-11-2015, 10:04 PM
can we post about our own random acts of kindness? like for instance I gave an idol of the thorned to a level 12 warrior who was waiting for BBM boat to FP. *shrugs modestly*

Evia
08-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Love reading these. Kinda gives me hope for humanity. Even if it is just a video game ;)

Sorn
08-11-2015, 10:24 PM
can we post about our own random acts of kindness? like for instance I gave an idol of the thorned to a level 12 warrior who was waiting for BBM boat to FP. *shrugs modestly*

:rolleyes:

Well, today I almost helped a returning player and her friend the WoW noob, but they accidentally managed to find their way out of Highpass Hold while trying to find me so I could port them to NK to keep them from getting lost in HPH.

As for what people have done for me, special mention of Vistovitz who yelled at me when I was on my bard Dadian and gave me some ringmail! He's quite a character, that guy.

Kylenorr
08-11-2015, 10:26 PM
hey filbus, help me kill Jaeil and you can post all about that raok... I'll join in :-P

Thulghor
08-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Back when I started in 2010, a troll warrior (I don't remember his name sadly), while I was sitting in EC, gave me a Obsidian Scimitar, Bladed Thulian Claws, and a Skull Shaped Barbute just out of nowhere. I still have all three, and still wear the barbute.

Also around that time, I was in a Mistmoore group, and the werewolf talon for the Crafted Breastplate quest dropped. I really wanted it, and was the only warrior in group, but it was /randomed. A barbarian shaman (think it was Jord), felt bad for me and MQ'ed it for me with a talon he had. Still rocking that breastplate.

In more recent times, me, my brother Summanus, and my friend Stoneeye were all in Trak's Teeth, trying to get the Hunter and Forager for our Seb keys. We didn't have a tracker, and after four hours, we had only taken down one Hunter. A ranger named Lartanin showed up, and asked how far along we were on it. We told him, and the guy helped us finish it up in around an hour. He even died at one point when Froakk nuked him. Still kept on rocking.

<Dial a Port> has in general, gone way out of their way to port me in odd and extreme situations, like being stuck in weird dungeons after a group randomly bails, or when I'm overloaded with vendor trash loot somewhere away from a druid ring, or when I'm off on some odd CRs into strange places in far off lands. Especially Supremacydru and Portlander. Toxero, a gnome wizard (not in Dial a Port), who started out as a South Ro AC camp rival (we became homies after), once went out of his way to make sure I got my corpse out of City of Mist. Good guys all around.

When I'm playing odd hours and groups are scarce, some cool people who normally are soloers, such as Kalashan, let me leech some exp until a group forms up.

There's tons of other examples I could give over the years. There are a lot of good people on this server.

pathius41
08-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Well being a new player (now lvl 20 rogue) I met this cleric who kept offering me plat and what not to which I refused initially, but when ever he was near EC he would allways stop and buff me, eventually I gave in and he gave me a ghoulbane to sell and buy gear with, to which I was/am ever so grateful, that guys name is Height. Great and helpful guy!

captnamazing
08-12-2015, 02:33 AM
hey filbus, help me kill Jaeil and you can post all about that raok... I'll join in :-P

wouldn't be a random act!

Swish
08-12-2015, 05:14 AM
a random act of kindness on red?

sounds far-fetched...

Made up some HP rings at cost price for a couple of Thunderdome guys yesterday. Don't worry pals, red kindness.. I've got it covered <3

curtischoy
08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
I PMed u Sir Swish about MR gear on red, if I have the cash for hp rings maybe I can get down on that too :)

Kylenorr
08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
wouldn't be a random act!

touche

firesyde424
08-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Something that I thought always separated EQ from WoW: People that stop to buff others. It's not something that I saw a lot of in WoW but I see and experience daily in eq.

Itap
08-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Something that I thought always separated EQ from WoW: People that stop to buff others. It's not something that I saw a lot of in WoW but I see and experience daily in eq.

Anytime I'm in EC, I go to orc 1 or inn 1 and buff whatever new people I see until I'm oom. Its hard starting off with a rusty dagger and guild tunic, anything I can do to help them out

mr_jon3s
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Yea but wow was so easy you didn't need buffs to go from 1-max. You try going from 1-60 in eq with only self buffs is a real challenge.

Anyways bunch of nice people on blue. I remember when I first started a guy named Alphadavid gave me 2kpp and a pl because I was a gnome. I have also had houndstooth give me a book of odus he won in KC one day.

I usually help noobies out by giving them random weapons I pick up exploring, plat for spells, ds buffs, and summoning 10 slot WR no rent bags.

Charlievox
08-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Yea but wow was so easy you didn't need buffs to go from 1-max. You try going from 1-60 in eq with only self buffs is a real challenge.

Anyways bunch of nice people on blue. I remember when I first started a guy named Alphadavid gave me 2kpp and a pl because I was a gnome. I have also had houndstooth give me a book of odus he won in KC one day.

I usually help noobies out by giving them random weapons I pick up exploring, plat for spells, ds buffs, and summoning 10 slot WR no rent bags.

You DO tell them not to log off with anything important in the bag, don't you? :eek:

Thulghor
08-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Asked for SoW while camping Shardwurms with my brother Summanus in Great Divide, and a Shaman named Daewon showed up and gave me a 10 dose SoW potion for free. Good days! Thanks Daewon!