PDA

View Full Version : PVP?

Macedon
11-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Hey all, i just recently found out about this whole project and my jaw is dropping. The game that got me into MMO's is... back? Anyways, im wondering whether or not PVP is included atm? or whether or not it depends on the server or if it is to be added at a later date. I mean all in all, PVE is awesome and is essential, but to test your true skills, you must play against another human :P

Zarniwooop
11-07-2010, 03:55 AM
That's false.

In EQ the test IS PVE. And there are people that do things in pve here that 99 percent of others of the same class just can't do.

If it had been modeled after a pvp server, I would entirely agree with you.

The short answer is, no, pvp is not a focus here although people do duel and the results are broadcast across all zones.

Gorroth
11-07-2010, 03:57 AM
No real support for open PvP right now. PvP interactions (duels, arena) are bugged anyway: resists are fucked and melee damage is shit.

Devs are focusing on PvE and it's a hard enough task already.

Akim
11-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Hah, "resists are fucked", true that

jeffd
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
unfortunately, pvp on the emu servers is terrible, as nobody's really gotten resists and damage right yet. this is evidenced by the fact that VZTZ never broke 50 people at peak time in its heyday.

Tiggles
11-07-2010, 09:31 AM
unfortunately, pvp on the emu servers is terrible, as nobody's really gotten resists and damage right yet. this is evidenced by the fact that VZTZ never broke 50 people at peak time in its heyday.

That is Incorrect

Kuriin
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Pretty sure the peak on VZTZ was about 200.

Secrets
11-07-2010, 12:48 PM

this is correct. I am sure that Rogean and Haynar could figure out resists easily though, for if that were to occur.

Fourthmeal
11-07-2010, 01:34 PM

Those were some good nights.

Infectious
11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
VZ/TZ peak was about 500 when it was first released and I think resists and dmg was right on box 1.0 when null and the orig crew were running the show. At the end of 1.0 it was just hackers and box 2.0+ was hackfest and melee dmg out of whack. A shame that the server turned out to shit cause box 1.0 was deff a very good server.

quellren
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
...but to test your true skills, you must play against another human :P

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/wanderer80/hardencipher1.gif

Ok, Zodiac....:rolleyes:

Lazortag
11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd be okay with them expanding some of the opt-in pvp elements of classic (like making a non-shitty /guildwar command, or even making the discord book turn-in more fair). I cringe every time someone suggests another silly incentive to go pvp and I think it would be awesome if there was something to shut all the whiners up. But either way I don't think it's a big flaw with the server that we can't kill each other.

Proxen
03-31-2011, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't mind a good-evil PvP server but that's just unrealistic at best.

wehrmacht
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't mind a good-evil PvP server but that's just unrealistic at best.

why not

Pudge
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey all, i just recently found out about this whole project and my jaw is dropping. The game that got me into MMO's is... back? Anyways, im wondering whether or not PVP is included atm? or whether or not it depends on the server or if it is to be added at a later date. I mean all in all, PVE is awesome and is essential, but to test your true skills, you must play against another human :P

the p99 staff are preping for a PVP server as we speak. I'm sure they will do a good job balancing things too. IMO it might take a month or two, depending on how much work/patching they have to do with kunark just being released.. but the pvp server is coming...... get ready for classic pvp

knottyb0y
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Eq devs barely got pvp right on Live during the game's hayday and they didn't have to "back-hack" and make patches to make the server run like it did 10 years ago. I'm sure eventually a good pvp server will surface, but that's a lot of dedication, and quite frankly I would rather see our devs focus on making the server work as smoothly and bug free as possible before committing resources to fixing broken pvp. When Sony did it, without all the hurdles the p1999 team has to work through everyday, the aspect of PVP was often ignored or put on the back burner. With that said Tallon Zek was great times around the Velious era. Basically what I'm saying PVP on emu would be great, but I'm in no rush to have it forced into the code and not balanced at all (remember the constant cries for Balance on pvp servers?)

casdegere
03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow, this dead horse has been beaten into a bloody stain. Why on earth would the devs want to deal with more Cheaters/Exploiters/Hackers, Griefers and Whiners? So many people would be banned in the first month.

There is no PVP server yet the PVP advocates have already proven what they are about by their behavior on these forums. The population on this PVE server has never been better. If it went completely PVP it would drain, fast. Why would the people that spent so many hours to create something nostalgic, classic, so close to what everyone remembers, want that?

vinx
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
(remember the constant cries for Balance on pvp servers?)

Thats because Sony does everything globally, even their Flippy progression server sucks because of it.
they cant make any changes or balances without hindering PVE on the rest of the servers

Psionide
03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
FPS and fighting games= real pvp

wehrmacht
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow, this dead horse has been beaten into a bloody stain. Why on earth would the devs want to deal with more Cheaters/Exploiters/Hackers, Griefers and Whiners? So many people would be banned in the first month.

There is no PVP server yet the PVP advocates have already proven what they are about by their behavior on these forums. The population on this PVE server has never been better. If it went completely PVP it would drain, fast. Why would the people that spent so many hours to create something nostalgic, classic, so close to what everyone remembers, want that?

I agree, this plague of PvP players is out of control. It's like a bunch of droopy eyed, armless children staring at you grunting.