PDA

View Full Version : Any problems logged with Pottery recently?

Gurbuuk
08-28-2015, 03:45 AM
I tried to raise my pottery skill this morning from 21 to 120+ for the Thurg gate potion, and got very very low skill up rate.

I followed the wiki, doing Unfired Small Bowls and got 6-7 skill-up for maybe 60 tries. I got lots of fails but that's ok, trivial is at 102... I got the feeling that skill up is more frequent when you succeed, as i got a little better rate by doing Ceramic Lining (trivial : 36)

I got no problems with smithing and tailoring Monday, getting a skill up each 2 3 tries max.

Last info, I got around 180 str and 165 int with TS stuff.

Any advices / comments? May this thread must be locate in the bug forum instead?

Thanks !

kledar
08-28-2015, 09:09 AM
I raised it recently to like 135, did notice I would get no skill up for long stretch and then there will be 2-3 skill up on consecutive attempts. I guess this is normal, really have nothing to compare it to.

Karanis
08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Not sure if you already leveled it up or what, but the wiki's suggested path is missing a couple steps that cost a bit more (a lot more than their path, but still not very much in the grand scope of things), but produce skill-ups MUCH better I found. I just recently did 4-122 pottery myself. The path I did was Medium Jars to 36, Smokers to 82, Small Bowls to 102, then the Medium Bowls to 122, hope this helps someone.

Gurbuuk
08-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Not sure if you already leveled it up or what, but the wiki's suggested path is missing a couple steps that cost a bit more (a lot more than their path, but still not very much in the grand scope of things), but produce skill-ups MUCH better I found. I just recently did 4-122 pottery myself. The path I did was Medium Jars to 36, Smokers to 82, Small Bowls to 102, then the Medium Bowls to 122, hope this helps someone.

Mmmh it seems coherent with my feeling. I gonna test it tonight. thanks!

mr_jon3s
08-28-2015, 09:57 AM
The fastest way to level a tradeskill is to actually make something. If your skill is 1 and you try to make something thats trival at 102 you fail to make it almost ever time so you dont get a lot of skill ups.

Thulack
08-28-2015, 10:17 AM
The fastest way to level a tradeskill is to actually make something. If your skill is 1 and you try to make something thats trival at 102 you fail to make it almost ever time so you dont get a lot of skill ups.

Thats why you raise your int or wis to get a better chance of skilling up on a failure.

Pane_AK
08-28-2015, 10:49 AM

This right here. I did pottery 21-120 just this week. People writing those guides discount the fact that your skill up % get a small bonus from successful combines. So while a little more costly making some of those other combines. It goes quicker

Jaxon
08-28-2015, 02:07 PM
The formula for determining whether you get a skillup or not is described here:

http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/showthread.php?15638-skillup-formula

There are two checks that you have to pass to get a skillup. The first one takes into account your character's WIS or INT or other primary tradeskill stat, a difficulty modifier for the tradeskill you're trying to raise, and whether or not you actually succeeded in making anything. Every point you can increase your primary tradeskill stat will increase your chances of passing 0.25% - 0.5% depending on the difficulty modifier of the tradeskill. Succeeding in the combine will double your chances of passing this check.

And there's a second check to make it more difficult to gain points as your skill increases. Your chances of passing this check go from almost 100% at skill 0 to a minimum of 5% at skill 190. That's right. At 190 and above you will never have more than a 5% chance to skill up.

The bottom line: to maximize your chances you need to maximize your INT or WIS or other primary stat at 255, and you need to make things that are close to but not quite trivial. And no matter what you do skill gains at high levels are going to suck.

Roadblock
09-02-2015, 04:42 PM
It still seems too difficulty to skill up, I gave the first 80 medium jar combines a try this today with an 85 int bard and only got from skill 0 to 9 during that time. I'm not sure but it seems like I'll need to do atleast 2x the combines listed in the guide. Wasn't it generally considered that the guide was made for any character regardless of their int/wis? Was it classically like this?

Malevz
09-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Didn't read thread.

On live pottery was the same as leveling other skills, but you could buy pretty much everything from merchants, and could have it skilled up very quick. Around Luclin or PoP they made pottery more difficult to skillup, which is probably what you're experiencing here.

No I have no proof other than remembering how glad I was to have skipped pottery up a month before the change went live. It's still not hard, just more tedious.

maestrom
09-02-2015, 05:14 PM
So. Never done any TS ever really hehe. Whats the TS cap?

ArumTP
09-02-2015, 05:20 PM
I never had much problem with pottery. It only got terrible when I had to do lined/sealed vials. A significant amount of combines without skillups

nyclin
09-02-2015, 06:15 PM
tradeskills are always streaky.. you'll have 3-4 skillups in a row, and then nothing for a while

get your int/wis as high as possible and settle in for the long haul while you wistfully dream of tradeskilling in world of warcraft

azeth
09-02-2015, 06:57 PM
It still seems too difficulty to skill up, I gave the first 80 medium jar combines a try this today with an 85 int bard and only got from skill 0 to 9 during that time...

85 int is an incredibly low # to expect to see any noticeable difference in your skill up % chances.

Roadblock
09-03-2015, 03:32 AM
85 int is an incredibly low # to expect to see any noticeable difference in your skill up % chances.

I know but what I was wondering was if a character playing back in 1999 could expect to level their pottery regardless of their characters highest mindstat within the quantities of mats listed on the wiki, and if so, why is p99's pottery skill harder to raise and are any of the other trade skills harder than they should be.

One of the guides on the eqtraders website lists quantities even lower than these but nothing about recommended classes or int/wis levels. Hasn't been edited since 04/2003 either. My whole angle is that one of the classes pottery is of the biggest use to is rogues and the class isn't known for high wis/int.

http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g87&menustr=040090000000

Sylexis
09-03-2015, 10:09 AM
I know but what I was wondering was if a character playing back in 1999 could expect to level their pottery regardless of their characters highest mindstat within the quantities of mats listed on the wiki, and if so, why is p99's pottery skill harder to raise and are any of the other trade skills harder than they should be.

One of the guides on the eqtraders website lists quantities even lower than these but nothing about recommended classes or int/wis levels. Hasn't been edited since 04/2003 either. My whole angle is that one of the classes pottery is of the biggest use to is rogues and the class isn't known for high wis/int.

http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g87&menustr=040090000000

Most of those number lists are based off of 255 wis/int or higher, considering those caps were removed and people tradeskilling now have closer to 500+ wis/int.

Trying to approach the same tradeskill with only 95 wis/int.... I would say you're going to need 3-4 times the components. If not more.

Thulack
09-03-2015, 12:41 PM
I have 7 toons with 130ish in pottery. Also have another toon with over 150 in everything. I didnt notice anything different between pottery and the other tradeskills. Also i never did any trade skilling with less then 150 int/wis

Pane_AK
09-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I have 7 toons with 130ish in pottery. Also have another toon with over 150 in everything. I didnt notice anything different between pottery and the other tradeskills. Also i never did any trade skilling with less then 150 int/wis

You won't really start to notice it until skill ~175 and up

Jaxon
09-03-2015, 01:53 PM
The nice thing about int/wis and tradeskills is that it scales linearly. Doubling your int will double your chance to get a skillup.

Thulack
09-03-2015, 02:32 PM
You won't really start to notice it until skill ~175 and up

People in this thread are talking about skills 0-100. They arent talking about 175+ skill. I'm giving my finding on what i saw while i was skilling up toons in the same skill range they are complaining about. Yes its obvious the higher your skill the longer between skillups(reference my 2 300 in all tradeskill toons on live) :)

Roadblock
09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Appreciate the info guys. I did a lot of these trade skills back in the day but that was many years and a lot of games ago. I guess I'll get some int gear on him for this trade skilling.