PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing anything by not grouping?

gekkonidae
08-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Solo'd 2 characters to 50's (Wiz and Nec).

Am i missing any of the EQ experience by not grouping?

Ciroco
08-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes. You are missing the grouping experience.

Pyrrhica
08-29-2015, 01:09 PM
You are missing the majority of the game...

Vilkata
08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
no

Eldon
08-29-2015, 01:26 PM
You are missing the majority of the game...

bktroost
08-29-2015, 01:32 PM
should this be in RnF? Of course you are. Not sure if troll or serious.

Bboboo
08-29-2015, 01:33 PM
no

myriverse
08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Probably, but only you can determine whether it matters or not.

Nuggie
08-29-2015, 01:47 PM
how do you expect to make any friends if you never group with people?

how do you expect to build a reputation and join a guild?

mr_jon3s
08-29-2015, 01:48 PM
My favorite part of the game has always been grouping with people, talking to them, making friends, and going dungeon crawling with those friends you made. It sucks when you get in a group and no one wants to talk they just want to grind.

Calibix
08-29-2015, 02:11 PM
I would say group content is arguably the most challenging in EQ, and consequently the most fun. Your missing out.

captnamazing
08-29-2015, 02:48 PM
grouping is the best and the worst of eq, so definitely

indiscriminate_hater
08-29-2015, 02:51 PM
groups are NOT classic

myriverse
08-29-2015, 03:05 PM
how do you expect to make any friends if you never group with people?
There are other ways.

how do you expect to build a reputation and join a guild?
Being a part of a guild is hardly a necessity.

untergang
08-29-2015, 03:30 PM
You missed out on carrying a bunch of people who don't know how to play, assuming you aren't one of those people. You also missed out on meeting the guy in every group who loots everything with autosplit turned off so you end up with 2pp and a rusty scimitar after an hour of grinding.

Swish
08-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Grouping in "group zones" should be a requirement... only takes one fungi/tstaff monk to shit on a group of 6 trying to do the content with lower gear.

Waedawen
08-29-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't know if you're missing out on anything by not "grouping" necessarily...

But, if you don't have any allies at all, you are definitely missing a majority of the fun and challenge and reward

Frudrura
08-29-2015, 03:58 PM
You missed out on carrying a bunch of people who don't know how to play, assuming you aren't one of those people. You also missed out on meeting the guy in every group who loots everything with autosplit turned off so you end up with 2pp and a rusty scimitar after an hour of grinding.

Yeah.

I don't think you are missing out on much. P99 lies at the end of the internet world. Its like EQ was once a flourishing beautiful place to be (ish) but now its like post apocalypse and it kind of changes the way things are done.

Shjade
08-30-2015, 01:10 AM
You missed out on carrying a bunch of people who don't know how to play

As long as I actually can carry them - as in the party isn't just constantly wiping due to total failure and nothing gets accomplished - this is actually one of my favorite kinds of groups to be in. I like maxing out what I can do to make sure the party's a success. (Also, saving people feels good. That last-second life-saving mez, a quick patch heal, etc. - this is the stuff I miss when I'm spending a session solo.)

webrunner5
08-30-2015, 01:22 AM
The OP has a Necro and a Wizard. He would not be able to get a group on either if he wanted to. :eek:

How many of the 2 classes he has do you think hardly anyone ever groups with??

Heck a Ranger hardly ever groups either. I don't see it as much of a big deal. I hardly group much myself anymore. Can't get into spending 3 to 4 hours committed to do it often.

thufir
08-30-2015, 04:28 AM
OP, it depends on what your objectives are. If all you want to do is level, you missed nothing, no. But you probably didn't see much content solo, or do many dungeons, or kill bosses. If you don't think you missed that, you didn't miss it.

I don't personally see how this game is interesting enough to play solo for 100+ levels but YMMV etc.

gekkonidae
08-30-2015, 07:21 AM
thanks for the responses... i created a cleric to attempt grouping and see what it is like

Ando
08-30-2015, 08:03 AM
thanks for the responses... i created a cleric to attempt grouping and see what it is like

Clerics also make GREAT duos/trios with lots of classes. Specifically, amazing with Enchanters/Necros for charm soloing. Also, once you get into your 30s the Hag tower in Unrest provides a great solo/duo spot when grouping is slow. 2 6 minute hag spawns with 1 22 minute spawn in the middle of the room.

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Many ways to play the game. That is one of the great things about this old game. But this game, imo, excels at the 6-person group, everyone working together, and crawling around in dangerous places getting stuff done. I highly recommend maybe rolling a new char, maybe a nice warrior or cleric, and experimenting with the social side of the game.

I do not think you will be disappointed. And since you already have those two other chars, you can gear up easy enough. Warrior would throw you right into the thick of grouping, and of course, a cleric = always in demand.

Ando
08-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Many ways to play the game. That is one of the great things about this old game. But this game, imo, excels at the 6-person group, everyone working together, and crawling around in dangerous places getting stuff done. I highly recommend maybe rolling a new char, maybe a nice warrior or cleric, and experimenting with the social side of the game.

Yeah it really just depends. I personally have the most fun in a good trio dungeon diving since 6 person groups tend to trivialize a lot of stuff, but to each his own. The social aspect allows you to get to know people and also do things you wouldn't necessarily be able to do solo (Unless you're an enchanter/necro!).

milsorgen
08-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Grouping just brings ya down. It eats away at your beautiful Norrathian freedom so the leeches can latch on and siphon all your hard won experience points.

webrunner5
08-31-2015, 04:04 AM
In reality, other than hard mobs, a duo is more fun I think than a 6 man group. :cool:

Charlievox
08-31-2015, 11:04 AM
How are you gonna be a hero if you don't save the group's asses once in a while?
Being in a group allows you to show off your skillz.
Like when the monk screws up a pull and goes FD and shouts "RUN", then the Chanter throws an AoE Mezz and keeps 5 mobs locked down as the Tank picks 'em off one by one while the Shaman keeps the tank hasted and the mob slowed as the Cleric heals and the Wizard burns down each mob when the Tank gets them under 30% health. And the last mob dies just as everyone is OOM.
Now THAT'S excitin'!

Gumbo
08-31-2015, 11:48 AM
You are missing out on the hot chocolate and cookies...

Well, that's what I heard but no one wants to group with me... :(

blondeattk
08-31-2015, 11:49 AM
the best grps are the ones that make you laff.

most grps are full of mental cases, but ocasionally you just land that perfect grp, that is having a laff all the time while grinding. Rare but good when it happens.

perditionparty
08-31-2015, 12:08 PM
As long as I actually can carry them - as in the party isn't just constantly wiping due to total failure and nothing gets accomplished - this is actually one of my favorite kinds of groups to be in. I like maxing out what I can do to make sure the party's a success. (Also, saving people feels good. That last-second life-saving mez, a quick patch heal, etc. - this is the stuff I miss when I'm spending a session solo.)

One of my favorite moments on this server was in a SOL ROYALS group. The tank was pulling and the room had just re-popped. Most of the mobs in the room were mezzed in time, but the tank was going to go down. I had cast CH, but it looks like it wasn't going to happen in time. As soon as the character went down, my CH went off, so all I saw was the tank tip over half way (like a 45 degree angle) and the shoot back up. He said he had never seen a heal that close before and his asshole had sucked up into itself. I believe he was Australian so imagining him saying it in a funny accent made it even better.

Shjade
08-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Hahaha, wow, saved from unconsciousness. I don't think I've ever seen that in a group setting - mobs tend to hit too hard to land in that 10 hp sweet spot between standing and dead.

Sadly, as a necro, my patch heals are never so dramatic as that. D: