PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Norrath Map

Revelation
08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
As if leveling didn't take long enough, now back to wiki maps and /loc to waste more of my time. Woot.

indiscriminate_hater
08-31-2015, 02:35 PM
SCUM

(Shit's Classic U Mad?)

Revelation
08-31-2015, 02:38 PM
SCUM

(Shit's Classic U Mad?)

Shits classic? Lol u want classic then go back to 56k modem kthxbai.

bktroost
08-31-2015, 02:38 PM
how do you even play this game without wiki open? You are an adventurer traveling through foreign lands. You would naturally hire guides through locations that you don't know and scribe your own maps. Internet is not a thing in most classic lore worlds. If you wanted anything close to wiki you'd have to go to a library in game and study and scribe it yourself. If you are not an int user class you shouldn't even be able to use a map of any complexity. Every warrior should need an int class to guide them or a ranger who knows the terrain if this were a classic adventure set game like DnD come to life in 3-D MMO.

Get immersed or choose to play wow?

Ele
08-31-2015, 02:40 PM

I'm down for server throttles and random disconnects.

Revelation
08-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Not to mention phone calls causing disconnects and logging back on for a CR :) Lol plus flat screen monitors aren't classic either.. let's go back to doom/duke nukem resolutions that's classic!

wormed
08-31-2015, 02:46 PM

I had a cable modem in 99.

Ele
08-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Not to mention phone calls causing disconnects and logging back on for a CR :) Lol plus flat screen monitors aren't classic either.. let's go back to doom/duke nukem resolutions that's classic!

I'm srs.

11 lines of text in one window only.

jarshale
08-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Pointing out other nonclassic thing will not make the devs change their minds. Sorry.

Revelation
08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
I had a cable modem in 99.

That's a damn lie. DSL came out shortly after.. cable modem came out 6 months after. Plus dsl and cable were only available in certain areas at that time

bktroost
08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Just fall deep into the rabbit hole of immersion and stop having the same #classicbutyouwon'tusedialuptoEQ or #classicbutyoudon'tuseoldUItoEQ argument because it's trite.

maskedmelon
08-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Not to mention phone calls causing disconnects and logging back on for a CR :)

*70 ftw ^^v

Ele
08-31-2015, 02:56 PM
That's a damn lie. DSL came out shortly after.. cable modem came out 6 months after. Plus dsl and cable were only available in certain areas at that time

1997 just for DOCSIS 1.0, there were other proprietary cable modem standards even earlier than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

nyclin
08-31-2015, 02:58 PM
what happened to norrath map?

does /loc not spit to the log file any more?

Revelation
08-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Tbh, most of you "that's not classic" nerds would quit if this was REALLY classic windows 98, 56k modem, no laser mouse, no flat screen monitor.. etc. Why bash my main post when the official wiki has maps with key points of interests on it.. norrath map was the same just a time saver for me.. sorry I have a family to feed and bills to pay... I don't have time to find a zone in an mmo that takes forever to level in at the same time..

Thulack
08-31-2015, 03:01 PM

I had Cable also when EQ came out. Stepfather(who brought EQ home in August of 99) worked for a cell company that got cable for all their employees that worked from home for faster connection.

bktroost
08-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Tbh, most of you "that's not classic" nerds would quit if this was REALLY classic windows 98, 56k modem, no laser mouse, no flat screen monitor.. etc. Why bash my main post when the official wiki has maps with key points of interests on it.. norrath map was the same just a time saver for me.. sorry I have a family to feed and bills to pay... I don't have time to find a zone in an mmo that takes forever to level in at the same time..

I think you are trolling at this point. This argument has been had 30 times on these forums this month. The game hasn't changed.

Pringles
08-31-2015, 03:03 PM
If author will PM me and make available the code - ill host it.

Shrubwise
08-31-2015, 03:05 PM

LOL chortled good here - thank you.

ITT the difference between OP being able to feed his family & pay his bills is a rudimentary map in a (16) year old game.

You should be thankful we get the Wiki. In 1999 you had to print hard copies of that shit and make an entire binder dedicated to EQ maps.

Ele
08-31-2015, 03:07 PM

The original devs didn't expect most people to get past level 30.

Those wiki maps are the same maps us Classholes printed out from EQ Atlas with hand written notes/locs and collected in binders back in 1999-2001.

Revelation
08-31-2015, 03:07 PM
LOL chortled good here - thank you.

ITT the difference between OP being able to feed his family & pay his bills is a rudimentary map in a (16) year old game.

You should be thankful we get the Wiki. In 1999 you had to print hard copies of that shit and make an entire binder dedicated to EQ maps.

So wiki map with location numbers for key points of interests is classic? Sorry I'm not understanding you classic guys...

Era'viss
08-31-2015, 03:08 PM
I love the feel of a new zone/dungeon to explore. Having a built in map takes away that edgy feeling. Unlike most people on here, I never had a real classic EQ experience.

I swear, if they came out with an MMO that had no maps, exp penalty on death (and potentially levels lost!), long painful corpse runs, no guides, and with even leveled mobs outside of the newbie zone requiring groups for a lot of classes at launch I'd be all about it.

Ele
08-31-2015, 03:10 PM
So wiki map with location numbers for key points of interests is classic? Sorry I'm not understanding you classic guys...

The second half is obvious.

myriverse
08-31-2015, 03:18 PM

Don't know exactly what it's doing, but it ain't doing that.

And it's not like NorrathMap was the only option for those who wanted maps.

milsorgen
08-31-2015, 03:23 PM
As if leveling didn't take long enough, now back to wiki maps and /loc to waste more of my time. Woot.

Complaining about wasting time while playing emulated EQ, lmao.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Li6GwG1vXhahO/200w.gif

nilbog
08-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Learn the zones.

Shjade
08-31-2015, 03:26 PM

Or you just learned the maps. Outdoor zones are all pretty simplistic, and most dungeons only seem too labyrinthine to remember until you get your bearings on a few key landmarks. Not all, but most.

Learn the zones.
Ninja'd.

Muggens
08-31-2015, 03:28 PM

Really funny stuff, made me laugh!

LoliPops
08-31-2015, 03:34 PM
can't wait for forced velious UI on p1999

thufir
08-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I remember the DDoS attacks like 2 years ago where some schmuck thought it would be a great idea to continually attempt to bring down p99. At the time my SK and my static group was doing a lot of CT and experiencing Classic Lag/DCs every so often.

It was actually pretty amusing in its way. Every time we'd lag we'd be like "SHIT'S CLASSIC"

dafier
08-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Learn the zones.

When I was a kid I grew up in the 'sticks'. I would wander so far from home that anyone but me would have no idea where I was. On EQ live I got to the point that anywhere I was in Greater Faydwer and Lesser Faydark, I would know where I was just my looking at the foilage and hills. I knew every turn in a path that if I came across a path while roaming in the wild, I would know which way I was going and where the path ended.

I played WAY too much EQ.

indiscriminate_hater
08-31-2015, 03:47 PM

i do play with all of this stuff. 56k connection, old ass computer running windows 98 and a 15 inch CRT monitor with ball mouse.

dealwithit.jpg

kaev
08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
i do play with all of this stuff. 56k connection, old ass computer running windows 98 and a 15 inch CRT monitor with ball mouse.

dealwithit.jpg

loltroll, not with titanium client you don't.

Next, we should take to heart the example of the classic-era monk sit-in and gather 1500 people in Thurgadin to demand Haynar's fix that disables the scrollwheel.
#killthescrollwheel

fadetree
08-31-2015, 04:08 PM
300 baud telephone handset modem here. Fo realz.

Ele
08-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Next, we should take to heart the example of the classic-era monk sit-in and gather 1500 people in Thurgadin to demand Haynar's fix that disables the scrollwheel.
#killthescrollwheel

that classic

http://i.imgur.com/4c6sw4E.jpg

Lamil
08-31-2015, 04:42 PM

Itap
08-31-2015, 04:43 PM
the riot of 99, never forget

perditionparty
08-31-2015, 05:14 PM

Those wiki maps are the same maps us Classholes printed out from EQ Atlas with hand written notes/locs and collected in binders back in 1999-2001.

Can confirm for this. My friend, who got me into EQ, had a binder of every map (colored btw, he used his work's color laser printer and I thought it was the GOAT at the time) printed out, paper holders and within arms reach every time we played (weekend lan, ahh those were the days).

dafier
08-31-2015, 05:18 PM
300 baud telephone handset modem here. Fo realz.

I screwed around with a friend one day by connecting to his BBS...1994 time frame with my telephone 300 baud.

He got pissed because I wasn't connecting at 9600 so he kicked me. Of course he didn't know who was calling in because he didn't go in adminmode /showuser.

CNET was the BBS he ran. I ran Trinity.

Good times.

Issar
08-31-2015, 05:21 PM

I lived in Vegas when EQ was released. We had cable modem through Cox.

BTW, I stole your camp when you went LD.

Oleris
08-31-2015, 05:26 PM
If author will PM me and make available the code - ill host it.

user is norrathmap. no posts since last year though.

ryachart
08-31-2015, 05:47 PM
These threads never get old.

As a person who hates most of the classic bullshit, I am sympathetic to most things. But I'm just not sympathetic to this one. A lot of people think fighting monsters and getting loot is what EverQuest is about, but so much of EQ is really just traveling. Seeing the zones, learning the zones, feeling scared because you don't know the zone and what to expect.

I know that to the OP, the zones are just an arbitrary time sink between looting monsters and leveling up, but to many of us the zones and the lack of maps is a core part of the experience of the game.

nyclin
08-31-2015, 05:59 PM
guess the site is just down

i have a server that can host this if someone can get in touch with the author

Lojik
08-31-2015, 06:06 PM
There's a quest in game to get maps back in, just need to be amiable faction to a pirate cartographer

wormed
08-31-2015, 06:37 PM
? Is it really that hard to use the wiki?

iruinedyourday
08-31-2015, 06:39 PM
SCUM

(Shit's Classic U Mad?)

how is that not the motto we all live by

nyclin
08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
? Is it really that hard to use the wiki?

almost as hard as it is to live with velious armor graphics

Faywind
08-31-2015, 06:49 PM

http://i.imgur.com/DxftKEq.png

Champion_Standing
08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
life over

phacemeltar
08-31-2015, 07:10 PM
wtf is with these sweeping "classic" changes. i admit im all about it, but why so all of a sudden?

Swish
08-31-2015, 07:20 PM
print out some god damn EQ atlas maps and sleeve/put them in a folder...come down to Classic Street.

nyclin
08-31-2015, 07:24 PM
wtf is with these sweeping "classic" changes. i admit im all about it, but why so all of a sudden?

this has nothing to do with p99.. the website went down, that's all.

curtischoy
08-31-2015, 08:57 PM
where is it posted that norrath map is no longer allowed? Can anyone link it or quote it? thanks.

blondeattk
08-31-2015, 09:02 PM
`print out some god damn EQ atlas maps and sleeve/put them in a folder...`

still got mine from 2001. even split kunark into one folder ffor dungeons and one for outdoors. most of kunark is in my head by now.

I still get lost in EW for some reason, maybe cos its quite featureless. my velious folder isnt complete, but i can tolerate getting lost in wakening land for now........kael is right, skyshine is left.....

Was taking the piss out of some twinked ranger in grp over weekend, beacuse the muppet was leveling sense heading..why??! hotkey /loc all the way baby!

Shrubwise
08-31-2015, 09:07 PM
where is it posted that norrath map is no longer allowed? Can anyone link it or quote it? thanks.

It was never allowed, and never even possible to bring it up on P99. Hence no patch notes saying it was removed. Also keep in mind on Live they didn't have the maps until Luclin expansion.

nyclin
08-31-2015, 09:10 PM
It was never allowed, and never even possible to bring it up on P99. Hence no patch notes saying it was removed. Also keep in mind on Live they didn't have the maps until Luclin expansion.

it falls under the same rules as gamparse and GINA, which are both allowed.. it functions simply by reading the log file output by the client and doesn't interact directly with the client in any way

curtischoy
08-31-2015, 09:13 PM
norrath map was absolutely allowed. Just like nyclin said. It is just as allowed as any parser.

nyclin
08-31-2015, 09:18 PM
beacuse the muppet was leveling sense heading..why??! hotkey /loc all the way baby!

considering you can double-bind it to a movement key and level it effortlessly, why not? every char i play has maxed sense heading

Shrubwise
08-31-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm a little confused what you mean by Norrath map. The only map I am aware of is the in-game maps.

tristantio
08-31-2015, 10:38 PM
It runs in a web browser tab instead of as an overlay, but the map app I put together about a year before norrathmap came along is still up at:

http://ahungry.com/p99-patcher-min.7z

It also handles patching to the latest p99 patch set (incase you have a copy of the game that needs to be patched or something).

helcahisie
08-31-2015, 10:44 PM

As a person who hates most of the classic bullshit, I am sympathetic to most things. But I'm just not sympathetic to this one. A lot of people think fighting monsters and getting loot is what EverQuest is about, but so much of EQ is really just traveling. Seeing the zones, learning the zones, feeling scared because you don't know the zone and what to expect.

I know that to the OP, the zones are just an arbitrary time sink between looting monsters and leveling up, but to many of us the zones and the lack of maps is a core part of the experience of the game.

Well said.

tristantio
08-31-2015, 10:58 PM
It runs in a web browser tab instead of as an overlay, but the map app I put together about a year before norrathmap came along is still up at:

http://ahungry.com/p99-patcher-min.7z

It also handles patching to the latest p99 patch set (incase you have a copy of the game that needs to be patched or something).

Also - another reason open source is better than closed (the Norrath Map guy refused to release source code).

The thing I have has source at https://github.com/ahungry/p99-patcher

Shjade
08-31-2015, 11:57 PM
A lot of people think fighting monsters and getting loot is what EverQuest is about, but so much of EQ is really just traveling. Seeing the zones, learning the zones, feeling scared because you don't know the zone and what to expect.

I've found my P99 soulmate.

dvlshdamian
09-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Tristanio, the link you provided is locked. Also the app isn't easy to set up. I've tried and will keep trying until I figure out how

tristantio
09-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Tristanio, the link you provided is locked. Also the app isn't easy to set up. I've tried and will keep trying until I figure out how

Link is fixed - for setup, all that's needed is to add a line in settings.lisp file (look at the readme on github).

Oleris
09-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Link is fixed - for setup, all that's needed is to add a line in settings.lisp file (look at the readme on github).

can I get a guide onhow to make this work? I downloaded the file. Do i extract it in my p1999 folder? I ran the patcher and nothing happened. the localhost444 thing doesn't work either.

UPDATE:
extracted to my p1999 folder. ran the 1 kb patcher. I patched, ran, then got some UI error.

UIErrorLog created at Tue Sep 01 00:11:00 2015
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:00 2015] Error: Could not find child AccountButton in window main

[Tue Sep 01 00:11:00 2015] Error: Could not find child EQWebpageButton in window main

[Tue Sep 01 00:11:00 2015] Error: Could not find child HelpButton in window main

[Tue Sep 01 00:11:00 2015] Error: Could not find child ChatButton in window connect

and

UIErrorLog created at Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Warning: file EQLSUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\default\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Couldn't open or read UIFiles\default\EQLSUI.xml
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Error reading XML.
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead.
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Warning: file EQLSUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\default\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Couldn't open or read UIFiles\default\EQLSUI.xml
[Tue Sep 01 00:11:44 2015] Error reading XML.

myriverse
09-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Having a map doesn't hurt any of those and is a learning tool.

Ele
09-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Having a map doesn't hurt any of those and is a learning tool.

Having a map and having a map with your location overlaid that constantly updates are two different things.

Jjlent
09-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Is it that hard to have wiki up on ur phone while playing? I've never used a map on p99 and have never had a problem, just don't understand all this discontent over something as small as a map on ur screen...

Messie
09-01-2015, 09:46 AM
SERIOUSLY -

Am I the only one who never had the interest to search for anything besides maps and wiki? I can honestly say I don't even know what Norrath Map is.

Why are there so many people crying about this?
What is Norrath Map?

Swish
09-01-2015, 09:51 AM
If you effectively want everything done for you, why not just watch someone else play on Twitch?

All this hand holding.

Charlievox
09-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Let me get this straight...
You are whining about not having time enough to play a game whose very essence is wasted time?
Why are you even here?

Charlievox
09-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Recently ran my Level 8 Wizard from Qeynos to the Gypsy camp in NK in order to get a druid to port me to WC so I could sell my two backpacks full of bone chips.

The whole time my pulse was racing, my palms were sweating and I was practically holding my breath the entire trip because I had no idea what kind of mobs I might encounter on the way. (I really have been away from the game that long) And I was afraid to stop long enough to check my iPad. Getting ganked by a werewolf within sight of the NK zone line didn't make the CR any easier.

THAT'S CLASSIC!

Messie
09-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Recently ran my Level 8 Wizard from Qeynos to the Gypsy camp in NK in order to get a druid to port me to WC so I could sell my two backpacks full of bone chips.

The whole time my pulse was racing, my palms were sweating and I was practically holding my breath the entire trip because I had no idea what kind of mobs I might encounter on the way. (I really have been away from the game that long) And I was afraid to stop long enough to check my iPad. Getting ganked by a werewolf within sight of the NK zone line didn't make the CR any easier.

THAT'S CLASSIC!

Sounds frustrating but in its pure classic essence, wonderful!!!

Charlievox
09-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Sounds frustrating but in its pure classic essence, wonderful!!!

I was level 9 when I started the trip. Werewolf deleveled me.:mad:

Finality
09-01-2015, 12:09 PM

I have been trying for the last hour or two to get this to work and nothing. I looked up the old thread about it and made sure that the settings file pointed towards my install directory but I still get the NIL error. I'm not a programmer so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong at this point. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Revelation
09-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Let me get this straight...
You are whining about not having time enough to play a game whose very essence is wasted time?
Why are you even here?

That's a retarded question. I'm here to group, xp, quest, gear up.. in other words to enjoy what everyone else loves about this game.. taking an extra 10-20 minutes lost trying to find a zone in a 15 year old elf sim, being a casual player with limited game time.. is not my cup of tea.. I don't have 23 hours a day to play like some of you "omgwtfnotclassic" people.

mayhem32
09-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Using Google/wiki to find a map takes less than 5 seconds.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Using Google/wiki to find a map takes less than 5 seconds.

If wiki has maps with coordinates and key points of interests in each zone, then what's wrong with norrathmap which has the same.. just saves time traveling..

Ele
09-01-2015, 12:38 PM
If wiki has maps with coordinates and key points of interests in each zone, then what's wrong with norrathmap which has the same.. just saves time traveling..

You don't see a difference between a plain map with some points of interest annotated and a map that has graphical interactivity whereby your location is highlighted as an overlay on the map and is constantly updated by a parsed log file?

It is the difference between using a folding paper map on vacation and having a cellphone/GPS with Google Maps

Revelation
09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
You don't see a difference between a plain map with some points of interest annotated and a map that has graphical interactivity whereby your location is highlighted as an overlay on the map and is constantly updated by a parsed log file?

It is the difference between using a folding paper map on vacation and having a cellphone/GPS with Google Maps

norrath map has even less info on map than wiki maps does.. its simply a faster way to find your location and where you are trying to go.. sorry but i dont have fun taking more time off my day than needed to play a video game trying to find my way to do something productive.. if this was a modern mmo with good graphics I might take a moment to enjoy the scenery with my 2.5k dollar pc..

thufir
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
That's a retarded question. I'm here to group, xp, quest, gear up.. in other words to enjoy what everyone else loves about this game.. taking an extra 10-20 minutes lost trying to find a zone in a 15 year old elf sim, being a casual player with limited game time.. is not my cup of tea.. I don't have 23 hours a day to play like some of you "omgwtfnotclassic" people.
I have 4-5 hours to play a week, generally. But no maps is classic. This is the point where "there are other games" becomes a legit thing to say. There are other eqemus and EQLive itself that provide the experience you desire.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 01:37 PM
I have 4-5 hours to play a week, generally. But no maps is classic. This is the point where "there are other games" becomes a legit thing to say. There are other eqemus and EQLive itself that provide the experience you desire.

I didn't say this isn't the experience I want. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't love this game I would have simply left a long time ago. I just found norrath map to be a huge time saver getting around.. its not gonna make me quit or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather find their way quickly to what they want to do than spend an extra 10 minutes trying to remember where the hell guk entance was for example.

thufir
09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
I didn't say this isn't the experience I want. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't love this game I would have simply left a long time ago. I just found norrath map to be a huge time saver getting around.. its not gonna make me quit or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather find their way quickly to what they want to do than spend an extra 10 minutes trying to remember where the hell guk entance was for example.

Yes, it was a huge time saver, along with many other things, like luclin travel, pok books, memorized gem presets, etc.

Classic is about not having a lot of those timesavers.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Yes, it was a huge time saver, along with many other things, like luclin travel, pok books, memorized gem presets, etc.

Classic is about not having a lot of those timesavers.

In other words, wasting peoples time with pointless shit. Gotcha.

Calibix
09-01-2015, 02:10 PM

But spamming Sense Heading to get your bearings is fun...

Mesenkomaha
09-01-2015, 02:14 PM
How is this guy STILL responding to every little post?

Ele
09-01-2015, 02:18 PM

You call it time wasting, some of us call it immersion.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:18 PM
How is this guy STILL responding to every little post?

Cause I come from 33+ mmos I'm used to it :)

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
You call it time wasting, some of us call it immersion.

You sir have too much time to waste apparently. Some of us have lives these days =/

thufir
09-01-2015, 02:20 PM

No. In other words, playing classic EQ. This isn't a living MMO where gameplay concerns get responded to. This is a dead emulator that is trying to stick to the warts and all experience. That changes only in cases of server disruption or when nobody can remember accurately what the live experience was. Your complaint fits neither category.

(Of course, it's a game and the whole thing is pointless; but I'll skip that pedantry.)

Ele
09-01-2015, 02:24 PM
You sir have too much time to waste apparently. Some of us have lives these days =/

to

Cause I come from 33+ mmos I'm used to it :)

wat

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
to

wat

Your first quote made no sense.. second didn't either. Please recomment for others to understand, thanks!

nyclin
09-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Your first quote made no sense.. second didn't either. Please recomment for others to understand, thanks!

you basically said "you have no life" and then said "I've played 33+ MMOs". thanks!

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM
you basically said "you have no life" and then said "I've played 33+ MMOs". thanks!

Are you under this guys table? What does what I posted have to do with "to" and "wat" which the latter isn't found in any dictionary.

thufir
09-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Are you under this guys table? What does what I posted have to do with "to" and "wat" which the latter isn't found in any dictionary.
We are wondering about the transition from "I have a life" to "I have played 33+ MMOs".

To have it spelled out.

Ele
09-01-2015, 02:45 PM

:rolleyes:

Sometimes when a person wants to point out an absurdity or inconsistency they might take two statements made by the same person and juxtapose them.

It can be as simple as a "from this position/statement, to next position/statement" followed up with a whimsical question or exclamation that highlights the absurdity of it all.

Are you sure you've played MMOs before or been on the Internet for more than 20 minutes?

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:46 PM
We are wondering about the transition from "I have a life" to "I have played 33+ MMOs".

To have it spelled out.

Age happens? Doesn't mean I play 33 mmos NOW.. simply stating my previous experience.. these days I don't stay with mom like some of you... anyone else wanna bash me over something stupid?

Revelation
09-01-2015, 02:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Sometimes when a person wants to point out an absurdity or inconsistency they might take two statements made by the same person and juxtapose them.

It can be as simple as a "from this position/statement, to next position/statement" followed up with a whimsical question or exclamation that highlights the absurdity of it all.

Are you sure you've played MMOs before or been on the Internet for more than 20 minutes?

Heh I'm sure. How about a 1v1 in darkfall/mortal online/chivalry? Though dunno I think you are used to tab targeting "skills". I don't wanna derail this thread... please return to your forum pvp skills thanks

Ele
09-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Heh I'm sure. How about a 1v1 in darkfall/mortal online/chivalry? Though dunno I think you are used to tab targeting "skills". I don't wanna derail this thread... please return to your forum pvp skills thanks

Watch out guys he is going to 1v1 us in some games he doesn't have time to play!

thufir
09-01-2015, 02:57 PM
I don't wanna derail this thread

way too late

Calibix
09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Watch out guys he is going to 1v1 us in some games he doesn't have time to play!

Lol'd irl.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 03:00 PM

Yeah games that get to the point rather than wasting peoples time to do what you know they want to. Again.. your point is invalid and rather useless. Carry on.. or let me know which game you "pvp" in and I'll download it.

Littlestgnome
09-01-2015, 03:08 PM

1) That's exactly what you're saying actually. You want in-game maps (or some variation thereof) within a game server that by it's very definition does not allow them. What you want is a custom server, not a true replica. A "Game Genie" for Everquest, as it were.

2) If it EVER takes you 10 minutes to remember where "the hell" Guk's entrance is, your problem is not in-game maps. In fact, if toggling between maps on wiki and the game accounts for 10 minutes in an entire month of playing, I dare say you are in a world of hurt my friend. Something is clearly not right with you.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the "experience" you have on this server might be directly related to the fact that things like in-game maps are not allowed? I don't mean how it affects your own personal ability to navigate the game world. I mean the game experience in general. As in, the type of people also playing within this same game world? The AMOUNT of people playing in this same game world? The type of people NOT playing in this same game world?

Obviously in-game maps make things more convenient. But as with so many other short-sighted "fixes" EQ implemented over the years, little consideration was ever given to how it effects the overall population of the server itself. In particular the kinds of players it attracts, and perhaps even more importantly the kind of players it does not attract.

In other words, the experience you are having here and presumably enjoy is a direct result of this server not allowing for things like in-game maps. You might imagine your experience would be even better if in-game maps were allowed, but you are probably wrong.

Ele
09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah games that get to the point rather than wasting peoples time to do what you know they want to. Again.. your point is invalid and rather useless. Carry on.. or let me know which game you "pvp" in and I'll download it.

You keep using this phrase "wasting time".

bktroost
09-01-2015, 03:14 PM
You keep using this phrase "wasting time".

I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 03:31 PM
1) That's exactly what you're saying actually. You want in-game maps (or some variation thereof) within a game server that by it's very definition does not allow them. What you want is a custom server, not a true replica. A "Game Genie" for Everquest, as it were.

2) If it EVER takes you 10 minutes to remember where "the hell" Guk's entrance is, your problem is not in-game maps. In fact, if toggling between maps on wiki and the game accounts for 10 minutes in an entire month of playing, I dare say you are in a world of hurt my friend. Something is clearly not right with you.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the "experience" you have on this server might be directly related to the fact that things like in-game maps are not allowed? I don't mean how it affects your own personal ability to navigate the game world. I mean the game experience in general. As in, the type of people also playing within this same game world? The AMOUNT of people playing in this same game world? The type of people NOT playing in this same game world?

Obviously in-game maps make things more convenient. But as with so many other short-sighted "fixes" EQ implemented over the years, little consideration was ever given to how it effects the overall population of the server itself. In particular the kinds of players it attracts, and perhaps even more importantly the kind of players it does not attract.

In other words, the experience you are having here and presumably enjoy is a direct result of this server not allowing for things like in-game maps. You might imagine your experience would be even better if in-game maps were allowed, but you are probably wrong.

Thanks for not insulting my thoughts unlike these other guys. Let's see if you see where I'm coming from. First. Wiki maps has coordinates and points of interests on it. Not classic. (or at least I don't remember seeing those in 1999 eq release). Next.. no. Spellbook medding = not classic. Scroll wheel view = not classic. I'm sure tanks will love the removal of that one. I can go on with non classic things but I don't have time atm. My main point is.. if wiki maps give you coordinates and info about quests/npcs/what's sold in this zone.. then what's wrong with having a time saver like norrath map do the same for you in a fraction of the time.. you are still looking at maps telling you where everything is.. I just don't get it lol

Droog007
09-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Doesn't matter how different it is. Either one was possible in 1999. It may not have been as pretty, but it was possible.

NorrathMaps is buggy and currently(?) unhosted, but it's not illegal and no one should be condemned for using any kind of program that gets game data from the log file. It's also incorrect to say your position in NorrathMaps is "constantly updated" ... it's a manual/intermittent process.

myxomatosii
09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I memorize trees bitch. Get on my (and good player's) level.

I play on a CRT on a dial-up connection.

JK 3x27 inch monitor.. we're pampered with our zoopity-zoppity blazing fast connections and our biggity-diggity monitor screens.

Get happy brah.

Oh and memorize hills too.

Bboboo
09-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Everytime I take breaks from this server so much changes.

Should probably take breaks more often.

Ele
09-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Doesn't matter how different it is. Either one was possible in 1999. It may not have been as pretty, but it was possible.

NorrathMaps is buggy and currently(?) unhosted, but it's not illegal and no one should be condemned for using any kind of program that gets game data from the log file. It's also incorrect to say your position in NorrathMaps is "constantly updated" ... it's a manual/intermittent process.

Parsing your log file to use with a dynamic mapping program while playing was not possible, if you only had access to one physical computer, since EQ played in a forced full screen mode. The use of EQwindows or WinEQ technically violated the EULA.

It was possible to have a second machine networked to your main EQ computer to read/parse the log file.

When you have sense heading bound to your movement keys + other keys, it is pretty "constant" versus pausing to looking at a map and reading the long/lat lines trying to figure out where your most recent /loc would place you in relation to the map you printed out.

The outside use of log parsers for buff timers and mapping programs is an insult to the devs of this box that purposely removed or disabled those features to implement classic game play.

Droog007
09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Parsing your log file to use with a dynamic mapping program while playing was not possible, if you only had access to one physical computer, since EQ played in a forced full screen mode. The use of EQwindows or WinEQ technically violated the EULA.

It was possible to have a second machine networked to your main EQ computer to read/parse the log file.

When you have sense heading bound to your movement keys + other keys, it is pretty "constant" versus pausing to looking at a map and reading the long/lat lines trying to figure out where your most recent /loc would place you in relation to the map you printed out.

The outside use of log parsers for buff timers and mapping programs is an insult to the devs of this box that purposely removed or disabled those features to implement classic game play.

It's creative use of available information.

Maybe you should let them decide what is insulting?

If they didn't like it they could tell us not to use them ... most of us would comply.

Ele
09-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for not insulting my thoughts unlike these other guys. Let's see if you see where I'm coming from. First. Wiki maps has coordinates and points of interests on it. Not classic. (or at least I don't remember seeing those in 1999 eq release).

EQ Atlas had maps available, which is what most of us Classholes printed and put in binders in May of 1999.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990508163641/http://www.eqatlas.com/atlas.html

Next.. no. Spellbook medding = not classic. Scroll wheel view = not classic. I'm sure tanks will love the removal of that one. I can go on with non classic things but I don't have time atm.

Simply limitations of the client chosen for development of P99. The devs have pinpointed the scroll wheel mechanics and it is just a matter of time. There are also ideas floating around of how to implement or psuedo-replicate spellbook medding.

My main point is.. if wiki maps give you coordinates and info about quests/npcs/what's sold in this zone.. then what's wrong with having a time saver like norrath map do the same for you in a fraction of the time.. you are still looking at maps telling you where everything is.. I just don't get it lol

Are we discussing different concepts or something?

Having an ordinary map to reference is completely classic, see link above.

Having a map on screen at the same time as EQ that reads your log file and pinpoints your location with instant updates is not.

Droog007
09-01-2015, 03:57 PM
By 2001, my wife and I each had 2 PCs networked behind a cable modem. She was a Java developer at the time (Now she's a Senior Software Engineer).

We didn't do it .... but it was possible.

Ele
09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Maybe you should let them decide what is insulting?

They already have.

If they didn't like it they could tell us not to use them ... most of us would comply.

When they are ready. The solution has already been bounced around.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1643922&postcount=7

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1794057&postcount=15

Droog007
09-01-2015, 04:10 PM
They already have.

When they are ready. The solution has already been bounced around.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1643922&postcount=7

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1794057&postcount=15

This is the first time I've been disappointed in Nilbog. Work on the game - fine ... the log file should be sacred.

Revelation
09-01-2015, 04:16 PM
EQ Atlas had maps available, which is what most of us Classholes printed and put in binders in May of 1999.

https://web.archive.org/web/19990508163641/http://www.eqatlas.com/atlas.html

Simply limitations of the client chosen for development of P99. The devs have pinpointed the scroll wheel mechanics and it is just a matter of time. There are also ideas floating around of how to implement or psuedo-replicate spellbook medding.

Are we discussing different concepts or something?

Having an ordinary map to reference is completely classic, see link above.

Having a map on screen at the same time as EQ that reads your log file and pinpoints your location with instant updates is not.

Dude back in the days it was fun not knowing wtf did what in 1999 but c'mon if you played in 1999 then most likely you are in your 30's or more.. we.. or most of us don't have that kind of time to waste anymore. I just log on and ask for group on my enchanter.. if nothing I log on my alt and level him.. more power to you if you have the time but I just don't. I don't understand what your hatred with me is about. I'm just trying to enjoy what little time I have to spend with this game.. less downtime finding my way = more xp with my limited time to play

Droog007
09-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Dude back in the days it was fun not knowing wtf did what in 1999 but c'mon if you played in 1999 then most likely you are in your 30's or more.. we.. or most of us don't have that kind of time to waste anymore. I just log on and ask for group on my enchanter.. if nothing I log on my alt and level him.. more power to you if you have the time but I just don't. I don't understand what your hatred with me is about. I'm just trying to enjoy what little time I have to spend with this game.. less downtime finding my way = more xp with my limited time to play

What are you going to do when you max out levels?

Revelation
09-01-2015, 04:21 PM
What are you going to do when you max out levels?

roll a bard :)

Ele
09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
This is the first time I've been disappointed in Nilbog. Work on the game - fine ... the log file should be sacred.

It is an awkward position.

Let the map/buff timer programs go and let people have an advantage over those that don't?

Scan and police for installed parser programs on the computer?

Block web traffic when someone comes along with a browser based parser?

Encrypt the log file output until the game exits?

Queue log file output somehow until the game exits?

Disable the log file or send it garbage loc outputs? Which then screws over people with legitimate uses for wanting to search /loc commands later, but they can still use screenshots to far worse effectiveness.

Secrets
09-01-2015, 04:34 PM
C# isn't classic. You have to write your logbuilding programs in VC++, using a .dsw file.

Get the hell out of here with this Norrath Maps bullcrap.

Also you guys are lucky the staff didn't remove the scroll wheel camera. Haynar had that ready to go. I bet if you complain about this hard enough it'll be implemented.

Ele
09-01-2015, 04:34 PM

You keep saying "waste of time". EQ is nothing but a time sink for any of us in any respect of how you play the game (within the rules) (like all other games). Traveling is a time sink, meditating is a time sink, respawns are a time sink, incremental gear upgrades are time sinks, ever increasing xp pools to fill are time sinks, etc.

None of what I've said to you is hate. I'm trying to understand your rationalization of certain aspects of EQ and other games with some good-natured ribbing in between.

Droog007
09-01-2015, 04:36 PM
It is an awkward position.

Let the map/buff timer programs go and let people have an advantage over those that don't?

Over those that don't ..... care to do it? Know how to do it?

Tough shit!

Haynar
09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
C# isn't classic. You have to write your logbuilding programs in VC++, using a .dsw file.

Also you guys are lucky the staff didn't remove the scroll wheel camera. Haynar had that ready to go. I bet if you complain about this hard enough it'll be implemented.

Maybe they can put a petition together on change.org.

kroissant
09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
The whole nitpicking of what's classic has been beaten to death. The devs don't spend all their time coding for this box and whatever they can make classic without breaking other things, they will. Not much we can do but to just accept it.

Also the whole counter argument "you should play on 56k modem and CRT if you want classic" is also stupid. That's like someone trying to restore a classic car but has to use modern parts at his local AutoZone but gets hated on because he didn't get the original parts that was produced 20 years ago.

polishanarchy
09-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I actually really enjoy using the maps like maps.

Huggz
09-01-2015, 05:55 PM
I would just like to point out the beautiful lack of Iksar monks in that photo from earlier :~)

Dumb statistically better lizards!

Finality
09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
I would just like to point out the beautiful lack of Iksar monks in that photo from earlier :~)

Dumb statistically better lizards!

Hey! What'd did we lizards ever do to you? :(

Droog007
09-01-2015, 06:54 PM

I'm really sorry that we can't actually travel back in time. BELIEVE ME.

Messing with the log file to bar stuff that was perfectly possible to do since the game's release is the wrong way to emulate it.

dvlshdamian
09-01-2015, 09:27 PM

I went to the page now that I have an idea how to edit the lisp. The instructions of what to do are not up. Did something get changed or deleted?

86753o9
09-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Only people still on dial up in 1999 were toothless hillbillies in the ozarks and foreigners. And if you're asking for the map feature you definitely don't belong on this server. GTFO!

Oleris
09-01-2015, 11:53 PM
tried to get to velks from thurg and ended up at tov. someone rehost

jcr4990
09-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Sooo.. Norrath Maps just went down? Nothing seems to have changed with P99 itself. Because other similar tools are still working?

Messie
09-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Sooo.. Norrath Maps just went down? Nothing seems to have changed with P99 itself. Because other similar tools are still working?

Good work reading this post.

kaev
09-02-2015, 02:26 AM
This is not the stupidest thread ever on these forums, but it wishes it could be.

86753o9
09-02-2015, 04:30 AM
The EQ character spends most of his life trying not to get killed while traveling the EQ world. That's why travel was purposely designed to be challenging. The introduction of things like the books of knowledge and the minimap urinated in the face of what made EQ worth wasting our time on.

And by the way, Time Warner introduced high speed cable internet in 1996, so yeah, cable internet is almost as old as the cell phone. Which means it has probably been in existence longer than many of these people who whine for features that aren't classic.

Zuranthium
09-02-2015, 05:35 AM
I never played EQ on dial-up, had cable in May of 1999 when I started. Played MUDs on dial-up, though, and amassed a big phone bill one month when AOL changed their call #'s for our location to all be long distance. That was the last month we lived out in the country-ish area before moving back to the city, thankfully. Mother was very, very mad about the bill when it came the next month.

Petrified Wood
09-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Revelations...first off this thread would of be much more productive if you did not take other peoples opinions as personal attacks, even if some cannot give constructive criticism in a way that works for you. For someone who does not want to "waste time" and enjoy the game I find it rather odd how much time you've wasted responding to answers and questions that clearly are not going to alter your preset state of mind on this subject.

The larger question is what exactly do you wish to accomplish by this thread? This 1999 based game revived has modern limitations client and other wise. Somethings are the same, somethings are similar and others are what they need or the dervs choose them to be (Which is clearly their prerogative). I promise with the time you wasted responding on this thread you could've memorized enough pathing and landmarks via the wiki or in game to minimize the traveling part of EQ that you do not seem to enjoy. Also in my opinion "bad" graphics do not make the immersion any less and in fact makes it all the better when you do see something unique in Norrath. Everything said so far is just opinions; you can agree, disagree or anything in between seeing as no one is right or wrong in that sense.

Just try and keep a clear purpose if you need some form of validation concerning your map related grievance regardless of what others may say. Part of being a adult is being able to respond to others maturely even if they lack the ability to themselves. Well, this just has been one of those opinion things. Good luck if you wish to continue playing a re-imagined 1999 based game. (If it helps just leave the word classic out) Cheers :)

oleek
09-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Ingame map is timesaving, im agree. But if u are in dangerous situation then not possibility to use it make game more challenging.
I was using norrathmap for few days and it was another game. But im not much worry about its dissabled, wiki giving more info.
And using wiki isnt classic? Maybe but its faster way to get some info only (in classic times - u got info from friends, guildies, sites etc; wiki is similar but ok, more complex)

alitle OT: I was plaing game with this rule:You may not post, or distribute information deemed by the Game Staff to be secret, including, but not limited to, quest walkthroughs, and boss, unique and quest monster locations and/or stats.and it was fun.
Im worry for impossible to apply it for very known game like EQ.

sry for my bad eng

oleek
09-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Ingame map is timesaving, im agree. But if u are in dangerous situation then not possibility to use it make game more challenging.
I was using norrathmap for few days and it was another game. But im not much worry about its dissabled, wiki giving more info.
And using wiki isnt classic? Maybe but its faster way to get some info only (in classic times - u got info from friends, guildies, sites etc; wiki is similar but ok, more complex)

alitle OT: I was plaing game with this rule:You may not post, or distribute information deemed by the Game Staff to be secret, including, but not limited to, quest walkthroughs, and boss, unique and quest monster locations and/or stats.and it was fun.
Im worry for impossible to apply it for very known game like EQ.

sry for my bad eng

Revelation
09-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Revelations...first off this thread would of be much more productive if you did not take other peoples opinions as personal attacks, even if some cannot give constructive criticism in a way that works for you. For someone who does not want to "waste time" and enjoy the game I find it rather odd how much time you've wasted responding to answers and questions that clearly are not going to alter your preset state of mind on this subject.

The larger question is what exactly do you wish to accomplish by this thread? This 1999 based game revived has modern limitations client and other wise. Somethings are the same, somethings are similar and others are what they need or the dervs choose them to be (Which is clearly their prerogative). I promise with the time you wasted responding on this thread you could've memorized enough pathing and landmarks via the wiki or in game to minimize the traveling part of EQ that you do not seem to enjoy. Also in my opinion "bad" graphics do not make the immersion any less and in fact makes it all the better when you do see something unique in Norrath. Everything said so far is just opinions; you can agree, disagree or anything in between seeing as no one is right or wrong in that sense.

Just try and keep a clear purpose if you need some form of validation concerning your map related grievance regardless of what others may say. Part of being a adult is being able to respond to others maturely even if they lack the ability to themselves. Well, this just has been one of those opinion things. Good luck if you wish to continue playing a re-imagined 1999 based game. (If it helps just leave the word classic out) Cheers :)

I highly doubt I could have learned zones rather than replying to posts seeing that I reply to posts while at work ;) my point of this thread is simple and good for you that you don't fall under my category of very limited gameplay time.. if you had 1-2 hours a day to play perhaps you would understand my reasons for liking norrathmap to save me time rather than looking for zones myself or with wiki maps+/loc (which some people still struggle with.. I don't I learned the loc system before running into norrath map) still.. I'm only stating this cuts down my playtime considerably since I don't have time to find things... i only have time to log on, get a group, and get to it for about an hour and 45 minutes. Dunno if that makes you understand my point. Thanks for polite reply. Cheers!

SamwiseRed
09-02-2015, 12:54 PM
I will make and host a similar program for donation$ :)

Daldaen
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I will make and host a similar program for donation$ :)

Ban for Non-classic behavior and borderline RMT.

nyclin
09-02-2015, 12:58 PM
the funniest part about this thread are the people who insinuate that the p99 staff had something to do with this 3rd party, unaffiliated website going down

rueckerc
09-02-2015, 01:22 PM
It sounds like you really just don't have time to play this game, and nobody cares. There are lots of other games out there that include maps, since that seems to be an incredibly important feature for you, go play one of them.

captnamazing
09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
All I see here is one man who sucks at reading maps

Revelation
09-02-2015, 02:23 PM
All I see here is one man who sucks at reading maps

And all I see here is someone with no responsibilities with too much time to spend on a 15 year old sim. Carry on sir.. sry lives aren't available on amazon or ebay yet :(

Revelation
09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
It sounds like you really just don't have time to play this game, and nobody cares. There are lots of other games out there that include maps, since that seems to be an incredibly important feature for you, go play one of them.

Perhaps I'll take your post seriously when you post more than 1 post..

captnamazing
09-02-2015, 02:37 PM
And all I see here is someone with no responsibilities with too much time to spend on a 15 year old sim. Carry on sir.. sry lives aren't available on amazon or ebay yet :(

sounds like you shouldn't even be playing EQ

Charlievox
09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Perhaps I'll take your post seriously when you post more than 1 post..

So, it's quantity rather than quality that lends gravitas to one's post. I see.

Muggens
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
15 pages hehehe. OP is really winding people up, he cannot be for real. He said EQ graphics was wasting his 2,5k dollar screen. Looking at maps is wasting his precious time yet he is posting a response to everyone here. Gonna duel people in games no-one has heard about etc. Troll or mad I'd say.

Revelation
09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
15 pages hehehe. OP is really winding people up, he cannot be for real. He said EQ graphics was wasting his 2,5k dollar screen. Looking at maps is wasting his precious time yet he is posting a response to everyone here. Gonna duel people in games no-one has heard about etc. Troll or mad I'd say.

You have never heard of pvp games because you are used to ez mode tab target AI

Revelation
09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
sounds like you shouldn't even be playing EQ

Sounds like you should mind your own business

Ele
09-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Watch out guys we may have another mace in our midst.

Muggens
09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
You have never heard of pvp games because you are used to ez mode tab target AI

Don't know about that, I only ever play Everquest and some Civilization 5 now and then. You kids nowadays.

Revelation
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Don't know about that, I only ever play Everquest and some Civilization 5 now and then. You kids nowadays.

Lol @ kids. Play a first person full loot pvp mmo with local banking and then you can talk $h#t :)

Revelation
09-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Watch out guys we may have another mace in our midst.

Read above. Thanks!

Ele
09-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Lol @ kids. Play a first person full loot pvp mmo with local banking and then you can talk $h#t :)

Who has time for that?

Revelation
09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Who has time for that?

Takes 3 days to max out a toon in MO.. I'll even give you a full set of the best armor and weapons..

Ele
09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Takes 3 days to max out a toon in MO.. I'll even give you a full set of the best armor and weapons..

No wonder you hate everquest.

thufir
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM

if I had 3 days to play I'd have 3x as much time to play in a week as you do.

Revelation
09-02-2015, 03:35 PM
No wonder you hate everquest.

Lol I love everquest. Its the only pve mmo I bother with. I just figured maybe you can transform your pvp skills on a forum to something worth bragging about.. like first ever rank 63 in chivalry like me. You will have to stop depending on easy peezy tab targetiing though. Not sure if that's your thing, you might enjoy stationary AI controlled targets.

captnamazing
09-02-2015, 03:41 PM
voted 1/5 cringes for this thread. should have been posted to RNF.

Ele
09-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Lol I love everquest. Its the only pve mmo I bother with. I just figured maybe you can transform your pvp skills on a forum to something worth bragging about.. like first ever rank 63 in chivalry like me. You will have to stop depending on easy peezy tab targetiing though. Not sure if that's your thing, you might enjoy stationary AI controlled targets.

63?! Damn dude you are hardcore. Must have taken a lot of time.

Duncon
09-02-2015, 04:46 PM
63?! Damn dude you are hardcore. Must have taken a lot of time.

He did it in 3 days. He is just that good.

He can't find his way out crushbone with out a map though...

azeth
09-02-2015, 05:07 PM
OPs location: Florida

Theres your problem.

Also I do not believe this 33 mmo statement. List them

Ele
09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
OPs location: Florida

Theres your problem.

Also I do not believe this 33 mmo statement. List them

#1 Wizard 101

Rararboker
09-02-2015, 05:18 PM
When people get mad they fall back on the 56k modem thing. Not all of us were peasants.

kaev
09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
When people get mad they fall back on the 56k modem thing. Not all of us were peasants.

Some of us were leet peasants who got a second phone line so calls on the first wouldn't crash EQ.

Sorn
09-02-2015, 07:21 PM
At least none of us had to deal with party lines while playing EQ!

Nuggie
09-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Some of us were leet peasants who got a second phone line so calls on the first wouldn't crash EQ.

Definitely had this. Was awesome. It was next to the outlet that would shock you that my step dad wired in... that was cool too when having a slow day.

myriverse
09-03-2015, 06:42 AM
This was never really an issue because *70.

But got a second line so the wife could play with me.

Llodd
09-03-2015, 07:01 AM

56k was for the upperclass, the real peasants had 14.4k

Taminy
09-03-2015, 08:14 AM

I had a cable modem in late 1997- early 1998. I know it was no later than June of 1998 because I had it while a senior in high school and that's when I was done.

And yes cable was only available in certain areas - so what?

Swish
09-03-2015, 09:43 AM
56k was for the upperclass, the real peasants had 14.4k

I think I remember the box saying you needed a 28k connection? Poor 14k scrubs.

Kileras
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
i had another phone line with my best friend that lived about 6 miles away. I paid for it on my own, we were quite young. we got these shitty headset telephones from radioshack and basically just called each other and never hung it up. we would goto school/sleep with the lines just connected 24/7. I have such strong memories of it all, so bizarre.

Llodd
09-03-2015, 02:42 PM
I think I remember the box saying you needed a 28k connection? Poor 14k scrubs.

Quite possibly, but thats what I was playing on initially for quite some time. Incl 2 hour resets. Quite alot of ppl had to do that in my guild

Barrier
09-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Classic was being so poor I had everything turned off in graphics, almost. Imagine how depressed you would be if the sky was always leaden gray. :)

Scrubosaur
09-04-2015, 11:52 AM
My computer was so bad that I had the clip plane set to the bare minimum. The game looked like there was a heavy fog and I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me. People always wondered how I got lost and died running from place to place as a bard.

Revelation
09-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking devs or someone paid norrath map dude to take it down.. sucks I brought 4 friends over and they all quit cause they don't have time to waste finding their way with no map. Hate them all you want but some people only have time to get to what they want to do and not figuring out negative and positive locations in a 15 year old elf sim that makes a lot of people quit once they realise how much 30-40 sucks.

ryachart
09-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking you want to play a different game, and that's okay!

phacemeltar
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
tell your friends that there is an in-game map in world of warcraft, so that may be a bit easier for them.

Revelation
09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
tell your friends that there is an in-game map in world of warcraft, so that may be a bit easier for them.

I brought them over from rust game. I doubt they would bother with wow lol. Besides the missing map they look at this as too much time to waste to gain a single level. We can't deny it is insane to level in this game.. Oh well I tried. I'm still here though I play less and less Now that I hit 35.. it just takes waaaaay too much time to level so I started an alt

Ele
09-04-2015, 02:42 PM
"too much time to waste"

Revelation
09-04-2015, 02:47 PM
"too much time to waste"

I'm still waiting on a "pvp" game you play. Tab target need not apply.

captnamazing
09-04-2015, 02:52 PM
the lamentations of the clumsy-brained never cease to fill me with wonder & awe

Ele
09-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Get at me on Mario Kart 64.

Revelation
09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
"too much time to waste"

You are leet brah.. you only take on AI controlled mobs who you use consider command to make sure you have a chance against a stationary mob.. I'm sure you are very popular in cs:go. LOL

Revelation
09-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Get at me on Mario Kart 64.

Pshh get at me at goldeneye 64

Ele
09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
You are leet brah.. you only take on AI controlled mobs who you use consider command to make sure you have a chance against a stationary mob.. I'm sure you are very popular in cs:go. LOL

:confused:

Pshh get at me at goldeneye 64

Your skill at dodging improves.

thufir
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking devs or someone paid norrath map dude to take it down.. sucks I brought 4 friends over and they all quit cause they don't have time to waste finding their way with no map. Hate them all you want but some people only have time to get to what they want to do and not figuring out negative and positive locations in a 15 year old elf sim that makes a lot of people quit once they realise how much 30-40 sucks.

Nobody cares, Bill. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQS5rRKcBiY)

Revelation
09-04-2015, 03:13 PM
:confused:

Your skill at dodging improves.

Id destroy you in goldeneye :) sorry but standing still spamming 1 though 9 isn't my idea of pvp :( perhaps I can link world of warcraft download for ya. Let me know

Ele
09-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Id destroy you in goldeneye :) sorry but standing still spamming 1 though 9 isn't my idea of pvp :( perhaps I can link world of warcraft download for ya. Let me know

You really keep looking for any excuse to not play and explore the world of Norrath don't you?

Shjade
09-05-2015, 12:09 AM

I don't even like pvp in Everquest and even I know if you're standing still spamming buttons you're probably doing it wrong.

tristantio
09-05-2015, 01:01 AM
Norrath Map was always a joke IMHO (woudn't release source, required registration to use etc.) - I think the author thought p99 was an untapped market and (like many other p99 fan apps) dropped off after he saw he was making diddly squat from the p99 playerbase.

86753o9
09-05-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm thinking devs or someone paid norrath map dude to take it down.. sucks I brought 4 friends over and they all quit cause they don't have time to waste finding their way with no map. Hate them all you want but some people only have time to get to what they want to do and not figuring out negative and positive locations in a 15 year old elf sim that makes a lot of people quit once they realise how much 30-40 sucks.Nobody is hating anybody. It's good that they left because p99 clearly isn't the game for them. The purpose of p99 isn't to keep players happy, or even to keep players at all.

myriverse
09-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Norrath Map was always a joke IMHO (woudn't release source, required registration to use etc.) - I think the author thought p99 was an untapped market and (like many other p99 fan apps) dropped off after he saw he was making diddly squat from the p99 playerbase.
Was there supposed to be a market? I never saw a product.

Swish
09-05-2015, 10:27 AM

How much are you making off the google ads on the EC tracker? Are you donating some to the project?

ahungry.com/eqauctions (http://ahungry.com/eqauctions) everyone, very good tool for price checking.

maestrom
09-05-2015, 10:44 AM
How much are you making off the google ads on the EC tracker? Are you donating some to the project?

ahungry.com/eqauctions (http://ahungry.com/eqauctions) everyone, very good tool for price checking.

It was working just fine for a few minutes, and then it said ad blocker was "Interfering with the functionality of the site". Presumably the ability of the site to show me ads.

Swish
09-05-2015, 10:50 AM
It was working just fine for a few minutes, and then it said ad blocker was "Interfering with the functionality of the site". Presumably the ability of the site to show me ads.

The guy just wants to make a little cash from P99 on the side, no harm in that is there? You need to turn off adblock on his page to be able to use it.

Revelation
09-05-2015, 02:26 PM

I gotta say I use your auction logger daily.. though I don't understand why norrath map can't be made client side without hosting from a web site.

myriverse
09-05-2015, 02:47 PM
I gotta say I use your auction logger daily.. though I don't understand why norrath map can't be made client side without hosting from a web site.
Before NorrathMap, there was a player-made client side map program. Don't think the guy that made it still plays P99 though.

maestrom
09-05-2015, 02:55 PM
The guy just wants to make a little cash from P99 on the side, no harm in that is there? You need to turn off adblock on his page to be able to use it.

I disabled it. I was just giggling at the error message. It's a pretty awesome site.

sirelothar
09-05-2015, 03:59 PM
I actually donated money to Norrath Maps and it was unclaimed for a month until it got defaulted back to me.

tristantio
09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Before NorrathMap, there was a player-made client side map program. Don't think the guy that made it still plays P99 though.

There's probably one that came before the one I put together, but as linked before:

https://github.com/ahungry/p99-patcher

For the patcher + bonus features thing I was setting up a couple years ago, it includes a client side map app (it tracks the /log data and plots it in a locally run web browser that refreshes via javascript) - never got around to making an overlay like Norrath Map did or a spiffy marketing oriented site.

Regarding google ads, I'll say it isn't much - prior to the "suggestion" popup to disable ABP it was less than what monthly hosting cost me for the VPS (that being around twenty a month, although I could probably find cheaper I'm pretty happy with my host), afterwards its a lil over (the logger itself gets around 2000/unique hits a month, so I net about one cent per user at the moment).

vorpal_raddish
09-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Norrath Map was always a joke IMHO (woudn't release source, required registration to use etc.)

I never had to register anything to use it.

myriverse
09-06-2015, 07:19 AM
I never had to register anything to use it.
He removed that part of it after a while.

KingFredTheInscrutable
09-28-2015, 12:53 PM
So... Did anyone end up hosting Norrath Map? I have the sense of direction of a blind gerbil.

Seltius
09-28-2015, 01:38 PM

I still have my binders in a box at my parents house... I remember taking a trip to hang out with some friends and carrying a couple of those binders with me to get their opinions on gear upgrades for my druid.

Neyphlite
09-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Makes fun of people PvEing on EQ. Plays blue 99 instead of Red...Logic

lol didn't even see the dates on these! How did I miss such a gem of a post...

Oleris
09-28-2015, 04:54 PM
I got another map program that's working and allows you to choose what map you want to use. Only problem is that it goes onto a second monitor.

Calibretto
09-28-2015, 05:09 PM
I also had a Cable modem in 1999. Actually my step dad had it in 1998. I remember because it was installed shortly after my 13th birthday.

DevGrousis
09-28-2015, 09:49 PM
how do you even play this game without wiki open? You are an adventurer traveling through foreign lands. You would naturally hire guides through locations that you don't know and scribe your own maps. Internet is not a thing in most classic lore worlds. If you wanted anything close to wiki you'd have to go to a library in game and study and scribe it yourself. If you are not an int user class you shouldn't even be able to use a map of any complexity. Every warrior should need an int class to guide them or a ranger who knows the terrain if this were a classic adventure set game like DnD come to life in 3-D MMO.

Get immersed or choose to play wow?

SO GOSH DAMN CLASSIC

skulldudes
09-29-2015, 04:44 AM
holy shit op is a dork

kennymack007
09-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Quarantine this into RnF along with your Bring back dual boxing (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212532)

Play on a popular server that people love for many reasons; Two of them being 'no maps' and 'no boxing', then cry and call people nerds when they don't agree with you.

I applaud your sense of satire (I hope?), or pity your impalpable self entitlement.

Revelation
09-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Quarantine this into RnF along with your Bring back dual boxing (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212532)

Play on a popular server that people love for many reasons; Two of them being 'no maps' and 'no boxing', then cry and call people nerds when they don't agree with you.

I applaud your sense of satire (I hope?), or pity your impalpable self entitlement.

Some of us aren't neckbeards and have limited game time. Good for you if you have the time to spam /loc and you have other friendly neckbeards to help with transfers.. I just don't. I'm sure there are many people who liked norrath map to cut down on time it takes to find where you wanna go.. wiki maps do the same shit but norrath map made it less time consuming.. I don't understand what the hate with norrath map is about... its like wiki maps just less time spent.

Revelation
09-29-2015, 03:21 PM
holy shit op is a dork

You are replying to a 16 year old elf sim forum. Perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself if you aren't a dork too for doing so

Gyva02
09-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Revelation if you are so hardcore why are you playing on the blue server? P99 Red is the pvp server.

But then again if you are not hardcore enough to play without a map, I guess playing with player's that want to stabby stabby you might be too much.... lol...

(And just to add, once you learn the zones without using a map it actually becomes faster than having to use one)

Revelation
09-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Revelation if you are so hardcore why are you playing on the blue server? P99 Red is the pvp server.

But then again if you are not hardcore enough to play without a map, I guess playing with player's that want to stabby stabby you might be too much.... lol...

(And just to add, once you learn the zones without using a map it actually becomes faster than having to use one)

Maybe because tab target pvp = no skill? I play darkfall, mortal online, reign of kings, chivalry, and csgo for my pvp fix. This isn't my kind of pvp game. I enjoy the pve mechanics that's why I'm on blue. Lol if you think p99 red is hardcore pvp...

Gyva02
09-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Playing without map, TOO HARDCORE!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha...

wait wait wait, insert I don't have time defense here ------> <---------

lol....

JDFriend99
09-30-2015, 06:41 PM
I got to use it for about a week and thought this was much more helpful then alt tabbin and dying.

jarshale
09-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Is it really so difficult to make a /loc hotkey? This is basic shit.

simp403
09-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Get a second monitor you poor plebs.

Grimjaw
09-30-2015, 10:46 PM
op seems to correlate maps with "saving time". when really its just re-allocating said time into doing something instead of being lost. if you don't want to be lost then don't play EQ. now that's saving time!

vorpal_raddish
10-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Is it really so difficult to make a /loc hotkey? This is basic shit.

Norrath Map required a /loc hotkey to work.

Littlestgnome
10-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Some of us aren't neckbeards and have limited game time.

So play a game that fits the game time you do have. Or, because it seems you play a plethora of other games already, do a better job of allocating that game time so the extra 30 seconds of map referencing stops being an issue. Or, and admittedly this is probably the toughest option available, learn the maps and be a more knowledgeable player.

The convenience of in-game maps is unquestionable. The questioning of other people's motives for not wanting this server to have in-game maps however is pointless. The intent of the server is to replicate the game from a particular era. Nothing's ever going to change that, certainly not pleas of inconvenience.

Daldaen
10-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Nothing is more classic than a binder of printed out EQAtlas maps.

Stay immersed my fellow nerds, print them out and be an explorer. Figure out your way out of LGuk with one of those maps $$$.