PDA

View Full Version : P99 at Work!

Era'viss
09-09-2015, 05:09 PM
So I tested running p99 off a thumb drive over the holiday, and it worked. No real surprise there.

After the holiday, back at work, I ask an IT buddy of mine about how would this work if I tried running it off my thumb drive on the work PC (which is obviously company property and against our policy). He said it wouldn't be detected at all by any way he can think of based off how they monitor our PCs...

So before I put my job on the line doing something I'm not supposed to do (but REALLY want to do since this game is awesome and typically we have lots of down time) can anyone out there tell me of ways I would be caught?

maestrom
09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Off the top of my head, your boss coming in your office and noticing your binder of maps printed out next to a sock

Pico
09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
youre close to bottom my son, just a couple more steps. once you're explaining to your wife/husband/fetlife lover that you got fired for casting spells with your druid at the office and your boss belittled you in front of your coworkers for rolling a wood elf the future will become clear again

Sriracha
09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
network traffic

or foot traffic (ie ur boss walks by)

cycopl
09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Thing is, at least where I work, TONS of people stream music like Pandora, Spotify, Christian radio, whatever, and I'm sure EQ takes way less bandwidth than any of that stuff. Although the upload traffic may be kinda suspicious since music streaming is all download. I work IT for a school district... we don't really monitor network traffic here so much as website usage, and I don't think EQ would show up on our website usage reports. YMMV though. Probably best not to risk it but if you work in a relaxed workplace then you'd probably get away with it as long as it wasn't hurting your productivity (it will).

captnamazing
09-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Off the top of my head, your boss coming in your office and noticing your binder of maps printed out next to a sock

hahahhahaha

phacemeltar
09-09-2015, 05:32 PM
i just want to say that this is a perfect example of why EQ gets bad press. what are you willing to sacrifice for pixels? its ok to share, this is a safe place.

captnamazing
09-09-2015, 05:33 PM
i just want to say that this is a perfect example of why EQ gets bad press. what are you willing to sacrifice for pixels? its ok to share, this is a safe place.

willing to sacrifice casual sex

Itap
09-09-2015, 05:37 PM
yikes

Lamil
09-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Been debating it myself. Can't pull the trigger due to needing the job

Ele
09-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Laptop and cell phone tether.

Messie
09-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Just work.

deezy
09-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Laptop and cell phone tether.

^ this

skipdog
09-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Oh jeez guys... don't pretend this is some 'YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU RISK UR JOB FOR EQ PIXELS' issue.

All of us office workers slack off and browse the internet and play web games. This is no different than that. If you are comfortable browsing websites or playing any web games you should have no problem using a little EQ window that is easily hide able.

Tahlvin
09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh jeez guys... don't pretend this is some 'YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU RISK UR JOB FOR EQ PIXELS' issue.

All of us office workers slack off and browse the internet and play web games. This is no different than that. If you are comfortable browsing websites or playing any web games you should have no problem using a little EQ window that is easily hide able.

Totally replying at work... but to be fair I am waiting on my computer to finish a task =)

Era'viss
09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Ok, not going to go into all the reasons why I hate my job at this time to justify why I want to slack off even more despite the fact I'm actually top performer for the company with a corner office...

BUT THIS IS GREAT NEWS! :) :)

Funny enough, when I first opened this office (been with this branch since day 1) we were so slow that I brought my laptop (which is now dead) to the office and played Dragon Age: Origins with my bosses blessing.

This time around I'm not asking for permission...

iruinedyourday
09-09-2015, 07:53 PM
if the decent into total addiction was 12 steps, what # step is the step you take right before loosing your job over Everquest?

Packard
09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Not sure how complex your network is at work, but not only is it detectable, the more modern firewalls put your traffic in a nice, easy to read graph. Let me tell you, the computer illiterate folks in your HR department love easy to read charts and graphs.

nyclin
09-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Not sure how complex your network is at work, but not only is it detectable, the more modern firewalls put your traffic in a nice, easy to read graph. Let me tell you, the computer illiterate folks in your HR department love easy to read charts and graphs.

this is basically what i was going to post

if your network infrastructure is ancient and relies on linksys home routers, you're probably fine. if your company has a robust infrastructure with modern firewalls and other network appliances, they'll almost certainly know about you playing EQ.

newer firewalls are really good at detecting odd or out of the norm activity and will alert people to it.

Pringles
09-09-2015, 08:54 PM
so what if you get fired? just collect unemployment like 90% of the neck beards here....

(for those that dont know how to internet, that was sarcasm with a mix of unfortunate reality)

LoliPops
09-09-2015, 08:55 PM
I used to play p1999 two jobs ago and my work load suffered to the point I got fired. Twice. I just didn't care about work. Every time I had to get up and stop playing was a tremendous hassle. (Hello, that's why it's called work!)

Don't start playing games @ work (well maybe WoW cards occasionally) if you value your income/job/stability/not being homeless. It's not worth it if you have a nice job.

Man up and ForumQuest like the rest of us during business hours.

-Director of Information Technology (for a fortune 500 company in the Empire State Building)

Pringles
09-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Those poor bastards that were subordinates of LoliPops..... yikes.

LoliPops
09-09-2015, 09:03 PM
http://cdn.gifstache.com/2013/2/26/201302261413_1361909607.9751627.gif

Era'viss
09-09-2015, 10:05 PM
I used to play p1999 two jobs ago and my work load suffered to the point I got fired. Twice. I just didn't care about work. Every time I had to get up and stop playing was a tremendous hassle. (Hello, that's why it's called work!)

Don't start playing games @ work (well maybe WoW cards occasionally) if you value your income/job/stability/not being homeless. It's not worth it if you have a nice job.

-Director of Information Technology (for a fortune 500 company in the Empire State Building)

Sage advice.

Efwan
09-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Literally lol'd. Good thread.

FatMice
09-09-2015, 10:13 PM

This.

simp403
09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
If you're the one in charge of IT and you basically monitor what other people are doing, then the only thing that will get you fired is not getting your shit done. That being said, it's very difficult to get your shit done when you're focused on killing internet dragons.

Best advice is to not do it because you'll probably find yourself playing more and working less as time goes on. I've been playing from the office a bit during the past month and I completely stopped recently because it's a very bad habit to get into and it will creep up on you.

LoliPops
09-09-2015, 10:21 PM
If you're the one in charge of IT and you basically monitor what other people are doing, then the only thing that will get you fired is not getting your shit done. That being said, it's very difficult to get your shit done when you're focused on killing internet dragons.

Best advice is to not do it because you'll probably find yourself playing more and working less as time goes on. I've been playing from the office a bit recently and I completely stopped recently because it's a very bad habit to get into and it will creep up on you.

QFT

Lisset
09-09-2015, 10:29 PM

I laughed out loud.

LGraves
09-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Sadly those fixing your AC so you can enjoy comfy office space don't get to play while we work. Yes..man up and ForumQuest!

phacemeltar
09-09-2015, 11:25 PM
of course theres always the option of using a vpn

Maner
09-09-2015, 11:47 PM
of course theres always the option of using a vpnwould a VPN actually take the server load off your network though? I would assume they still can see the traffic just not where it is going?

Bristlebaner
09-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Tell your boss it's literally impossible to progress in this game with the inconvenience of an 8 hour work day.

Hinthek
09-10-2015, 01:50 AM
I used to do a lot of gaming from the office. Keep it to solo camps with long spawns and its a nice balance. The only problem i discovered is when some yahoo comes to chat with you just after a pull, and hes sitting there yappin about nothing and when he leaves, you get to alt tab back to a nice corpse retrieval.

Whoop
09-10-2015, 04:01 AM
Use teamviewer to your home computer?

wts
09-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Get a laptop and a tmobile android phone with unlimited 4G and use foxfi.

Packard
09-10-2015, 09:03 AM
would a VPN actually take the server load off your network though? I would assume they still can see the traffic just not where it is going?

Can still see the traffic but only pertaining to the VPN connection. So let's say here I am at the firewall looking at traffic. I see some some user with a VPN connection. What's he doing?

I walk over to John's desk here and say, hey John, can you load up SCCM and see what this guy's doing?

John loads it up, and remote views your desktop. All unbeknownst to you, we see this guy playing EQ.

Now, am I going to be just randomly looking at people's traffic and happen upon his out of thousands of users? Hell no, if it's not causing me problems on the network I have other things to do. So the likelihood is extremely slim.

But the OP needs to understand there is little to no anonymity on a LAN. bottom line

Hope this makes sense, I just poured my first cup of coffee.

LoliPops
09-10-2015, 09:27 AM
http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/2014/11/19/114/n/1922283/7117bf081d4b9cfd_office-space-lumbergh-img-8/i/Bill-Lumbergh-Office-Space.jpg

Dac321
09-10-2015, 09:41 AM
They will find you.

http://i.giphy.com/132wUOhRXS0Dvy.gif

Era'viss
09-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Can still see the traffic but only pertaining to the VPN connection. So let's say here I am at the firewall looking at traffic. I see some some user with a VPN connection. What's he doing?

I walk over to John's desk here and say, hey John, can you load up SCCM and see what this guy's doing?

John loads it up, and remote views your desktop. All unbeknownst to you, we see this guy playing EQ.

Now, am I going to be just randomly looking at people's traffic and happen upon his out of thousands of users? Hell no, if it's not causing me problems on the network I have other things to do. So the likelihood is extremely slim.

But the OP needs to understand there is little to no anonymity on a LAN. bottom line

Hope this makes sense, I just poured my first cup of coffee.

This is what I have confirmed from multiple sources. In all likelihood I wouldn't get caught. The rub is how it will effect my motivation.

Right now I'm playing a monk, so random and sudden AFKs aren't a bother.

After thinking about it for a whole day, I'm going to do it just to say I did it. Kind of like that time my wife and I had sex on my bosses desk when I was working late and she was bringing me dinner.

Lamil
09-10-2015, 10:34 AM
This is what I have confirmed from multiple sources. In all likelihood I wouldn't get caught. The rub is how it will effect my motivation.

After thinking about it for a whole day, I'm going to do it just to say I did it. Kind of like that time my wife and I had sex on my bosses desk when I was working late and she was bringing me dinner.

The addiction is real!

Chucck
09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
You don't even need a full laptop. a Cheap netbook will play p99. I did it at work, snuck in a small netbook and tethered it.

salimoneus
09-11-2015, 12:44 AM
I sometimes idle in EC while at work, through a remote desktop connection to my home computer through an SSH tunnel, not possible to detect this. I run in a small window using WinEQ and it basically just looks like a chat box to any passerby unless I'm actually doing a trade, in which case I just need to be careful and quick.

Setting up virtual desktops on your work computer also helps, easy to flip to a different desktop very quickly if the need arises.

If you can't get a connection to home for some reason, bring in a small laptop and tether like someone already mentioned. Done that a few times too.

Grimjaw
09-11-2015, 12:54 AM
The antihack dll might get flagged by your corporate antivirus (false positive) and then they will investigate further.

As for the idea of running a remote session back to your home PC, that will be seen as a high load connection to anyone monitoring network traffic, more than any music streaming etc. Basically your traffic will stick out like a sore thumb if anyone bothers to look. And that will provoke further investigation.

Matalus
09-11-2015, 02:34 AM
buy a 50$ laptop from local pawn shop, connect to the wifi that is there, dl eq, win, if this isn't a troll post i don't know what is

Pint
09-11-2015, 02:56 AM
What's a girl to do! Half the ppl telling you ways to get away with it and the other half telling you not to go down this road!

Monty405
09-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Do you think it is healthy to sacrifice your career for internet pixels which may not exist a year or two from now?

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Do you think it is healthy to sacrifice your career for internet pixels which may not exist a year or two from now?

Easy question. No I don't.

And to everyone suggesting I bring/buy a laptop to play on, great suggestion, but there's a few reasons why I'm not opting for that. First off, I'm trying to be covert. Having a second computer on my desk running a game feels a bit more obvious than just having it run on one of my monitors. Plus there's the cost associated with this that doesn't quite match my price point. Then I'd also have to explain to my wife why I purchased a laptop after I just built a gaming PC earlier this year.

I did hop on briefly yesterday, but barely did anything because I have to setup my UI again. Plus I was getting butt slammed with a ton of issues at work.

The goal is using EQ as a carrot on a stick. Once I clear all my to-dos (which right now I have an extremely healthy list) I'll hop on and dick around on my monk till someone interrupts me. The way I see it, I already dick around on Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, etc when time allows. This will be similar to that, but I'm playing our favorite game. :D

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 10:26 AM
You're fucking stupid

Shots fired!:eek:

Charlievox
09-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Unless you are the Network Admin, this is probably a bad idea.

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Unless you are the Network Admin, this is probably a bad idea.

Ok, fine. :(

Back to Youtube. :cool:

Rick Sanchez
09-11-2015, 10:38 AM
^ just wait till you get home man.

Ladros
09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
As a network admin I would not recommend it. At your job if you have an IT staff who is anywhere near competent they will know what you are doing real fast. Other then that, I could easily play at work myself but I don't because then it would totally mess up my job.

Lulz.Sect
09-11-2015, 11:31 AM
The antihack dll might get flagged by your corporate antivirus (false positive) and then they will investigate further.

As for the idea of running a remote session back to your home PC, that will be seen as a high load connection to anyone monitoring network traffic, more than any music streaming etc. Basically your traffic will stick out like a sore thumb if anyone bothers to look. And that will provoke further investigation.

I had a friend at SunGard who would monitor SEP for clients just so they could fire people who had torrent software/trojans installed on their PCs.

simp403
09-11-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm going to do it just to say I did it.

Bad idea jeans.

through a remote desktop connection to my home computer through an SSH tunnel, not possible to detect this

Uh, yes it is. Do you not realize that a network admin can still see abnormal network traffic even if it's encrypted? If you're on an SSH tunnel for multiple hours a day, it's not like your network traffic is invisible. If using remote access for multiple hours a day isn't a part of your job, then this will seem odd if it's caught. Like someone else mentioned, all a network admin has to do at that point is remote access onto your computer and see what you're doing.

You better not be using the default port. Even then, if you're using some port that nobody else is using, then that would be another red flag.

salimoneus
09-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Bad idea jeans.

Uh, yes it is. Do you not realize that a network admin can still see abnormal network traffic even if it's encrypted? If you're on an SSH tunnel for multiple hours a day, it's not like your network traffic is invisible. If using remote access for multiple hours a day isn't a part of your job, then this will seem odd if it's caught. Like someone else mentioned, all a network admin has to do at that point is remote access onto your computer and see what you're doing.

I guess I should have been more clear, of course the traffic is able to be detected, all traffic is, but the specifics of what kind of data is being sent it not detectable. They have absolutely no way of knowing through an SSH tunnel if you're surfing the web, downloading or uploading files, remote desktop, gaming, etc.

simp403
09-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I guess I should have been more clear, of course the traffic is able to be detected, all traffic is, but the specifics of what kind of data is being sent it not detectable. They have absolutely no way of knowing through an SSH tunnel if you're surfing the web, downloading or uploading files, remote desktop, gaming, etc.

They can tell that you're using an SSH tunnel, especially if you're not careful with your ports. At that point, I would guess that they would start asking questions.

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 02:16 PM
It's mildly interesting that most of the warnings here are about how IT or a Network Admins can detect and catch me playing EQ at work resulting in me getting fired; however, the only anecdote on here about losing jobs over EQ pertain to drops in performance.

Toehammer
09-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Dude, if you aren't worried about banging on your boss's desk... then don't worry about playing EQ.

It sounds like you subconsciously want to get caught... maybe you should just take it to the next level and bang your wife on your boss's desk during the work day while playing EQ. Just make sure you pull out before you feign death if your boss walks in.:cool:

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Dude, if you aren't worried about banging on your boss's desk... then don't worry about playing EQ.

It sounds like you subconsciously want to get caught... maybe you should just take it to the next level and bang your wife on your boss's desk during the work day while playing EQ. Just make sure you pull out before you feign death if your boss walks in.:cool:

lmao

I do think about quitting a lot... Really holding on because I was promised a promotion 6 months ago, but they still haven't hired a replacement for me to back-fill my current position. Plus I've been with this company for almost 3 years, and haven't received any increase in rate of pay. Just a bunch of "AT'A BOY! THIS PLACE WOULDN'T WORK WITHOUT YOU!" I'm stuck with a feeling that my company is always looking for a way to screw me over. This is corporate 'Merica after all.

Life's not all that bad though. At least I'm not an HVAC contractor like Mr. LGraves. :o

Lulz.Sect
09-11-2015, 03:52 PM
https://fak3r.com/2014/ospace_bobs.jpg

Gumbo
09-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Yea and you didn't know about the webcam your Boss setup on his desk and keeps running after he leaves for the night either...

Just do what I do... I work from home and use my own computer to play EQ and use the companies computer to connect to work using a VPN connection.

simp403
09-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Plus I've been with this company for almost 3 years, and haven't received any increase in rate of pay

Did you ever bother requesting an increase in pay? Are you salaried or hourly? If you're salaried, then it's typical to receive small increases in pay to match inflation, raises in costs of living, etc.

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Did you ever bother requesting an increase in pay? Are you salaried or hourly? If you're salaried, then it's typical to receive small increases in pay to match inflation, raises in costs of living, etc.

Hourly "non-exempt" worker. Yes, I've had the conversation multiple times.

FatMice
09-11-2015, 04:42 PM
You sound like you need a vacation. I know the feeling.

Lulz.Sect
09-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Admittedly, I felt the same way when I started slacking off hard. Was contracting with zero benefits for one of the largest media companies in NYC and I just stopped caring. To my surprise, I received a few severance checks AND unemployment the second time I got fired. Thanks to my ex-GF we ended up living rent free & (free Jeep) in a lake-house in PA. Was pretty sweet until Chancellor Obama's bucks ran out. Then I had to scramble and find a job again.

Wouldn't do that again though, extended unemployment takes a toll on your relationship/mental health/self-esteem. :p

Era'viss
09-11-2015, 05:06 PM
You sound like you need a vacation. I know the feeling.

I hear this a lot. But there's a problem with me taking a vacation. All the work in our office tends to gravitate towards my desk because I can get the job done. All of this snowballs if I'm out of the office. When I'm gone for a week, the following week will consist of two weeks worth of work. All that stress and frustration comes back x 10 during that following week. Then I'm back to square one.

I really just need a new job. That or start coming to work stoned out of my mind... or start playing EQ at work... or not because I'll lose my job and my family will starve since they can't eat the EQ food I earned while playing at work...

Lulz.Sect
09-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Time to start looking for a new job pal! Always easier to start now instead of waiting to get fired! You can do it!

FatMice
09-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I hear this a lot. But there's a problem with me taking a vacation. All the work in our office tends to gravitate towards my desk because I can get the job done. All of this snowballs if I'm out of the office. When I'm gone for a week, the following week will consist of two weeks worth of work. All that stress and frustration comes back x 10 during that following week. Then I'm back to square one.

I really just need a new job. That or start coming to work stoned out of my mind... or start playing EQ at work... or not because I'll lose my job and my family will starve since they can't eat the EQ food I earned while playing at work...

This is not your issue. I deal with the same stuff at my job. This is your bosses obligation to ensure his/her company is working correctly not yours. I say this, but I also take my work to heart. Ultimately, I don't like letting things go without making sure it is completely correct and been checked accordingly. The people I coordinate with have told me, I am far more obsessive over details than others, compared to me 'mother' (think of "The Good Shepard") and just plan difficult to work with yet at the end of the day they know I am reliable and getting everything done correctly. Take a vacation. When you come back and the work has piled up tell your boss he needs to provide assistance for you. Let him know the work load. Again, I will say this is not your responsibility (unless it is) and if it is, you should have the power to hire an intern or secondary assistant.

Read Heyward C. Sanders.

salimoneus
09-11-2015, 06:25 PM
lmao

I do think about quitting a lot... Really holding on because I was promised a promotion 6 months ago, but they still haven't hired a replacement for me to back-fill my current position. Plus I've been with this company for almost 3 years, and haven't received any increase in rate of pay. Just a bunch of "AT'A BOY! THIS PLACE WOULDN'T WORK WITHOUT YOU!" I'm stuck with a feeling that my company is always looking for a way to screw me over. This is corporate 'Merica after all.

Life's not all that bad though. At least I'm not an HVAC contractor like Mr. LGraves. :o

Having been in consulting for almost two decades, with some salaried positions sprinkled in here and there, you could say I've had a fair number of experiences with different employers, well over a dozen.

I'm going to give you the cold hard truth.

In most cases they won't do shit for you until they see you are ready and willing to walk out the door. You wouldn't be leaving because you no longer want to work there, you just have other opportunities willing to pay what you consider a more fair market value, in other words a title and salary more appropriate to your experience and skill level.

And from what you're saying it sounds like you have some leverage there. I would take advantage of it and squeeze them a little harder.

NizmerThafen
09-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Losing your job and ruining your life over Everquest = CLASSIC.

Monty405
09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Start showing up to the office wearing EQ cosplay oufits

baalzy
09-14-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm of the opinion that the 40 hour work week is a crock of crap, especially if you're a salaried worker. I don't know why Americans have this obsession with being at work 40+ hours a week. Get your tasks completed? Go the heck home, get paid for the work that was done. Not paid for how long it took to do it.

Edit:

Obviously this is just for office type environments and less like security jobs or something where you're actively monitoring a situation for a period of time.

gildor
09-14-2015, 12:17 PM

even better, bang the bosses wife on his desk while shes playing EQ

Villide
09-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Kind of like that time my wife and I had sex on my bosses desk when I was working late and she was bringing me dinner.

"Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time."

Monty405
09-14-2015, 03:28 PM
‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time."

Usually with the intern.

perditionparty
09-14-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm of the opinion that the 40 hour work week is a crock of crap, especially if you're a salaried worker. I don't know why Americans have this obsession with being at work 40+ hours a week. Get your tasks completed? Go the heck home, get paid for the work that was done. Not paid for how long it took to do it.

Edit:

Obviously this is just for office type environments and less like security jobs or something where you're actively monitoring a situation for a period of time.

Because if people hadn't have died for the 40 hour work week, we'd all be doing 80 hour work weeks.

ridiculousmoose
09-14-2015, 03:43 PM

VPN to encrypt the traffic?

Spyder73
09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Whatever you do, for the love of god do not start playing P99 at work. Only bad things will happen. Even if your boss says "Hey Johnny, I think you should start playing video games while at your desk" - you should tell him to f#ck off. It will build bad work habits and you will become a piece of sh!t

Forumquest like the rest of us and lower your immersion level immediately.

Priceline
09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
So I tested running p99 off a thumb drive over the holiday, and it worked. No real surprise there.

After the holiday, back at work, I ask an IT buddy of mine about how would this work if I tried running it off my thumb drive on the work PC (which is obviously company property and against our policy). He said it wouldn't be detected at all by any way he can think of based off how they monitor our PCs...

So before I put my job on the line doing something I'm not supposed to do (but REALLY want to do since this game is awesome and typically we have lots of down time) can anyone out there tell me of ways I would be caught?

Depends on where you work, at places like mine all the work pc's are blocked from installing or running software not on a list of company approved ones. I've tried running p99 via usb and sd card, both pop up with needing admin user/pass.

JboxCSU
09-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Sooooo people have tried this? Wow.

Priceline
09-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Sooooo people have tried this? Wow.

too lazy to find the you must be new here pic, but seriously? people were doing such back in the velious/luc/pop era on live.

time to find something other then a McJob sir.

indiscriminate_hater
09-14-2015, 07:43 PM
some places block the port needed, as well. my old job did that, so i went out and bought one of those 4g usb plug-in things. shit's amazing. sometimes when i hang with my brother on the weekend we cruise around in his car and i tunnelquest in the passenger seat.

immersion levels unprecedented

Swish
09-14-2015, 08:47 PM
some places block the port needed, as well. my old job did that, so i went out and bought one of those 4g usb plug-in things. shit's amazing. sometimes when i hang with my brother on the weekend we cruise around in his car and i tunnelquest in the passenger seat.

immersion levels unprecedented

seek help!

Loftus
09-14-2015, 09:58 PM

Not all of us. I work hard for a living and don't spend more than 5 minutes a week using company internet and time for personal surfing or activities. Call me a dork/liar/etc. I don't really care, but it's true.

daasgoot
09-15-2015, 06:09 PM
OP still employed? update plz thanks.

Frudrura
09-16-2015, 12:10 AM
I used to smoke pot when I worked at a golf course when I was 18. I got my shit done, and there was typically a good hour or so gap where no golf carts would be coming in and everything was all set for a bit.

I quit smoking pot a number of years ago.

One of these days, I really want to see people admit how fucked up shit is and own it.

Era'viss
09-16-2015, 12:15 AM
OP still employed? update plz thanks.

Quick update.

Yes still employed. I've played it this week at work. Loving it so far, and hasn't really messed with my productivity. To early to tell if IT is on to me or not. Also planned a vacation to CO over the week of Halloween. Also starting to look for jobs in that state.

Veranish
09-16-2015, 12:26 AM
My friends father introduced us to everquest, he played at work. He was a doctor, I am pretty sure he got his epic completly on company time. He was an excellent doctor too. I notice people unhappy with their own job progess in life like to bitch about the unproductivity the most. I remote desktop my home comp, it appears as chrome traffic but IT has said they dont care anyway. i tunnelquest this way only, there is a lag that quadding will get you killed on. Plus then i alt tab and complete tasks in case something catches fire and i need to immediatley attend to it, my job is hours downtime then hours rushing with no indication or pattern.

Era'viss
09-16-2015, 12:41 AM
My friends father introduced us to everquest, he played at work. He was a doctor, I am pretty sure he got his epic completly on company time. He was an excellent doctor too. I notice people unhappy with their own job progess in life like to bitch about the unproductivity the most. I remote desktop my home comp, it appears as chrome traffic but IT has said they dont care anyway. i tunnelquest this way only, there is a lag that quadding will get you killed on. Plus then i alt tab and complete tasks in case something catches fire and i need to immediatley attend to it, my job is hours downtime then hours rushing with no indication or pattern.

Yea it is kinda cathartic in a way. I was just killing three mobs on my monk really quick, then fd over in the corner and finish another complicated task.

Or a couple times I'd get a long drawn out phone call with a customer that was having a hard time getting us the documentation we needed to do their loan. Like when I have to try to explain what an actual bank statement is. Yes, you do get these if you have a bank account. No, going to your online banking and taking a screen shot is not a bank statement... you fucking idiot.

When shit like this happens I would be running around looking for shit to kill. Kinda looking forward to the next region wide conference call...

Huggz
09-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Everyone is moving to Colorado. Soon it will be so saturated with humans and automobiles that we wont be able to move/drive at all. Just shoulder to shoulder dipshits from MA, FL, NE and other less-awesome places.

But seriously if you can't drive in the snow and don't have a real reason to live here, just fuckin move somewhere else! But by all means, if you can lower the out-of-state-dipshit ratio by not being a total douche, welcome.

Swish
09-16-2015, 12:55 AM
Why the migration to Colorado? South Park? kek

Sorn
09-16-2015, 01:14 AM
Why the migration to Colorado? South Park? kek

Skiing. Nature. And pot.

Mostly nature. We've got a lot of white people here trying to live the life of an urban lumberjack hipster professional, where they work sixteen hour days on the weekdays and then go sleep in a cabin in the mountains and ski almost year around. "I love nature," 90% of people in CO say while driving massive SUVs and playing on their iPads and Surface Pros.

But yeah, look at this photo a friend of mine took at Maroon Bells during sunrise in CO this summer:

See that? Nature.

captnamazing
09-16-2015, 01:17 AM
CO confirmed 4 dank

DevGrousis
09-16-2015, 03:39 AM
with my luck: ultra boss agro

fastboy21
09-16-2015, 05:43 AM

See that? Nature.

isn't that a screenshot from Pantheon?

Sixpence
09-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Thumb Stick aside, who's monitoring your network? Surely they are, to prevent Data Breaches etc ??

Monty405
09-16-2015, 07:40 AM
I live in the Western Karanas.

Rain is terrible. People are terrible. Night life is terrible.

Packard
09-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Thumb Stick aside, who's monitoring your network? Surely they are, to prevent Data Breaches etc ??

Sort of. I mean there's ingress traffic flowing in and you keep tabs on certain things depending on what you have in your network that will alert you (layer 7 firewall or IDS/IPS).

Egress traffic, or that which is flowing out of your network such as EQ, it just depends on the sysadmin. When I admin'd the firewall, I would periodically look for "weird" traffic. But this is when time would permit. Now the guy at the next workplace, he might not care at all and could spend all his time on Reddit. YMMV

Huggz
09-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Ahhhh yes Sorn.

Skiing, pot, and Nature.

Some days the traffic is so bad now we just turn around at Evergreen and go take a hike because theres 10,000 people that can't navigate their vehicle through four inches of fresh snow up a hill trying to go skiing on a Tuesday.

Still one of the best states in the union by a huge margin regardless of five years of recent douchebaggery.

Huggz
09-16-2015, 10:26 AM
I live in the Western Karanas.

Rain is terrible. People are terrible. Night life is terrible.

lol =)

indiscriminate_hater
09-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Everyone is moving to Colorado. Soon it will be so saturated with humans and automobiles that we wont be able to move/drive at all. Just shoulder to shoulder dipshits from MA, FL, NE and other less-awesome places.

But seriously if you can't drive in the snow and don't have a real reason to live here, just fuckin move somewhere else! But by all means, if you can lower the out-of-state-dipshit ratio by not being a total douche, welcome.

funny, we say the same thing about dipshits from Colorado

Huggz
09-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Where you from, Hater?

Lamil
09-16-2015, 11:28 AM
We don't need anymore people in CO! It's cold here and we are buried in snow most of the year.... Go to WA it's always nice there

Huggz
09-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Im guessing he's salty because he is stuck in some shitty flyover state wishing he had more to do than EQ.

Swish
09-16-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm moving to Colorado guys, I hear its nice.

Huggz
09-16-2015, 11:34 AM
lol Swish as long as you bring the average up its allllll good.

Ssouky
09-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Use teamviewer to your home computer?

You can't play with teamviewer. Well, you can log in, click whatever you want but you cant MOVE.
I'm sometimes logging in for ports like this or to camp Hadden but you can't play for real.

Sorn
09-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Ahhhh yes Sorn.

Skiing, pot, and Nature.

Some days the traffic is so bad now we just turn around at Evergreen and go take a hike because theres 10,000 people that can't navigate their vehicle through four inches of fresh snow up a hill trying to go skiing on a Tuesday.

Still one of the best states in the union by a huge margin regardless of five years of recent douchebaggery.

We don't ski but we do hike. Mt Falcon is great! The only thing I really hate are the potholes that show up after big snows. We're going to get a lot more of those this winter if we have as much snow as we have rain this summer.

Swish, if you come to CO I'd track you down just to see if you're a cat IRL. :D

dafier
09-16-2015, 12:04 PM
A bit late but:

Network traffic and any local software like McAfee HBSS installation. That though depends on what is configured. Certain traffic doesn't have to be caught on the network level, it can be caught before it even leaves your client/server. LMAO, if you were trying to run this from a server....wow, you deserve to get fired.

EDIT:

On another note; Ability to use USB on a client is a huge IA risk factor. You must work for a company which doesn't give a crap about IA. USB allowance should be justified on a case by case basis.

JboxCSU
09-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Step 1: have a smartphone
Step 2: set up smartphone for personal hotspot
Step 3: connect computer to personal hotspot, load up evercrack
Step 4: get fired anyway while going over on your cellular data plan
Step 5: profit??

Lamil
09-16-2015, 03:34 PM
We don't ski but we do hike. Mt Falcon is great! The only thing I really hate are the potholes that show up after big snows. We're going to get a lot more of those this winter if we have as much snow as we have rain this summer.

Swish, if you come to CO I'd track you down just to see if you're a cat IRL. :D

Our potholes in the Springs were bad enough after last winter.... I don't even wanna think about next summer

ronasch
09-16-2015, 04:05 PM
You're fucking stupid

/agree

Lulz.Sect
09-16-2015, 04:46 PM
All this talk is making me think of playing at work again. :eek:

Sampten
09-16-2015, 05:03 PM
You run into a potential few issues:

Network traffic isn't something I'd actually worry about. The amount of data sent to/from the server for P99 is very minimal. This game was played on dial up modems.

That being said:

The data being sent is UDP packets and they may be blocked via your network firewall.

Further preventing you from playing...

If your computers are locked down you're going to run into problem executing the program off the flash drive. Some companies lock machines down so much so that you cannot execute programs that aren't allowed. Let's assume your office doesn't do that, or does it but to a lesser extent.

Your next possible problem is AV software. I'd like to think your company isn't idiots and has the software locked down, preventing end users from changing scans, disabling scans and/or making any changes to the AV software. Assuming that your IT department has half a brain, you're done here, as that .DLL file is flagged and you will be unable to play the game. In fact, if the IT department configured the AV software properly, your flash drive was scanned as soon as you plugged it into the computer and at that point you were done.

So, to answer the question -- UDP packet transfer must be allowed, your AV software needs to be able to be modified/disabled on your end and you need to have some sort of permission level in order to launch an application.

The bandwidth issue is a non issue. You'd use more bandwidth streaming spotify or listening to music on Youtube.

Lulz.Sect
09-16-2015, 10:08 PM
^^See even the NSA plays P1999!

Sorn
09-16-2015, 10:13 PM
^^See even the NSA plays P1999!

If the NSA can find my old EQ screenshots that'd be great, thanks! My old hard drive is apparently dead so I can't retrieve them...

Ssouky
09-17-2015, 05:37 AM
You run into a potential few issues:

Network traffic isn't something I'd actually worry about. The amount of data sent to/from the server for P99 is very minimal. This game was played on dial up modems.

That being said:

The data being sent is UDP packets and they may be blocked via your network firewall.

Further preventing you from playing...

If your computers are locked down you're going to run into problem executing the program off the flash drive. Some companies lock machines down so much so that you cannot execute programs that aren't allowed. Let's assume your office doesn't do that, or does it but to a lesser extent.

Your next possible problem is AV software. I'd like to think your company isn't idiots and has the software locked down, preventing end users from changing scans, disabling scans and/or making any changes to the AV software. Assuming that your IT department has half a brain, you're done here, as that .DLL file is flagged and you will be unable to play the game. In fact, if the IT department configured the AV software properly, your flash drive was scanned as soon as you plugged it into the computer and at that point you were done.

So, to answer the question -- UDP packet transfer must be allowed, your AV software needs to be able to be modified/disabled on your end and you need to have some sort of permission level in order to launch an application.

The bandwidth issue is a non issue. You'd use more bandwidth streaming spotify or listening to music on Youtube.

Exactly the case on my corporate laptop :/
- UDP blocked
- can't install
- dll deleted by AV the moment I insert the USB key. No hand on the AV.

Revelation
09-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Quit. Sell Weed. Play eq while waiting for customers.

Ssouky
09-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Quit. Sell Weed. Play eq while waiting for customers.

It's illegal to sell weed in my country.

Swish
09-17-2015, 09:57 AM

That's why it's profitable.

Revelation
09-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Just tell people you work at mcdonalds....

http://stonerschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/8AWIV.jpg