Oleris
09-11-2015, 12:25 AM
yes. Also, hell levels exist.

burkemi5
09-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Also racial and hybrid penalties.

Swish
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM
People get fussy about "too many hybrids" on blue, so if you're planning to start a ranger particularly then it might be worth waiting til after the hybrid penalty comes out :p

blondeattk
09-11-2015, 10:37 AM
grind it!

sell ur gf rent out the house, flog the dog.....

grind that bar!!

am0n
09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
People get fussy about "too many hybrids" on blue, so if you're planning to start a ranger particularly then it might be worth waiting til after the hybrid penalty comes out :p

Swish, it may have been a while since you have started a new character on blue. I started my hybrid about 2 months ago and have only had one instance in that entire time where I've gotten crap for being a hybrid.

Play what you want.

Monty405
09-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Seeing the XP bar move in inverse relation to my social life is the only form of gratification I have in life.

Swish
09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Swish, it may have been a while since you have started a new character on blue. I started my hybrid about 2 months ago and have only had one instance in that entire time where I've gotten crap for being a hybrid.

I guess I'll take your word for it. People don't openly say "omg u suk hybrid, lol" - you just need to be more proactive in making your own groups.

Pre-Velious, try standing in KC LFG for a long time as a pally/SK/ranger...bards seemed to get groups more regularly. I don't see why that would be any different in mentality until the penalty is taken out, and by then there'll be 100s of people competing for that tank slot lol.

Monty405
09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
I've found there is generally some demand for tanks. That being said, if all groups have tanks they wont add another.

I'd think rangers have it worst. As a dps class role there are better options available.

Swish
09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
There's an argument for them being good pullers versus bards and monks... and typically that's a hybrid slot anyway. Other than that, yep.

Rangers suffer the most sadly because you need to be very good at it to get regular groups. I met too many on blue who would afk a lot, dragged their feet if they had to pull, etc.

blondeattk
09-11-2015, 01:31 PM
must admit that I havent experienced post 50 life as a ranja on p99 yet.

Arent most hybrids twinks anyways?

There must be very few who start on this server with such a tricky class option......

So 40+ arent many hydrids sololing?

tbh i hated bow kiting on live so i doubt its gonna be fun on p99!

daft enough to think i know how to exp at 40+ tho.....duo ftw.

am0n
09-11-2015, 01:36 PM
There's an argument for them being good pullers versus bards and monks... and typically that's a hybrid slot anyway. Other than that, yep.

Rangers suffer the most sadly because you need to be very good at it to get regular groups. I met too many on blue who would afk a lot, dragged their feet if they had to pull, etc.

Sounds like you met some terrible players.

Arent most hybrids twinks anyways?

This is probably why you've met those terrible players.

There must be very few who start on this server with such a tricky class option......

But those few are the ones you want to group with, because they actually have to proves themselves instead of relying on their main.

Issar
09-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I guess I'll take your word for it. People don't openly say "omg u suk hybrid, lol" - you just need to be more proactive in making your own groups.

Pre-Velious, try standing in KC LFG for a long time as a pally/SK/ranger...bards seemed to get groups more regularly. I don't see why that would be any different in mentality until the penalty is taken out, and by then there'll be 100s of people competing for that tank slot lol.

Honestly, I haven't heard much of this and all I play are the +40% classes on blue. That being said, I tend to run groups and I couldn't care less about xp penalties. The grind is what defines EQ. The more xp penalties, the more kills I get to achieve! ;)

Monty405
09-11-2015, 02:36 PM
You get to have 40% more fun grinder per level!

Think of it as a bonus to Fun

Issar
09-11-2015, 02:40 PM
You get to have 40% more fun grinder per level!

Think of it as a bonus to Fun

This!

Swish
09-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Honestly, I haven't heard much of this and all I play are the +40% classes on blue. That being said, I tend to run groups and I couldn't care less about xp penalties. The grind is what defines EQ. The more xp penalties, the more kills I get to achieve! ;)

I wish everyone thought the same... make sure you invite those struggling tanks when the hybrid penalty is removed, they'll all need groups.

Issar
09-11-2015, 05:32 PM
I wish everyone thought the same... make sure you invite those struggling tanks when the hybrid penalty is removed, they'll all need groups.

For sure I'll invite them! Especially the fat ones, even though their racial penalties won't apply to the group anymore >. <

thufir
09-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Any time I read a Swish post about Blue I immediately wonder, "how long has it been since Swish played Blue?" Because his experience is always the opposite of mine.

50 ogre sk here, never a problem finding a group, sometimes even get tells for groups in faraway lands. Never make my own group (unless you count my static buddies).

Play what you want.

Swish
09-11-2015, 08:23 PM
People seem oblivious to the fact that everyone's waiting for the penalty to go away before they make their hybrids... what could possibly happen after that?

5 hybrids and a cleric in a group, that's what ;) ... unless people are going to be picky, which is my point.

thufir
09-11-2015, 08:30 PM
People seem oblivious to the fact that everyone's waiting for the penalty to go away before they make their hybrids... what could possibly happen after that?

5 hybrids and a cleric in a group, that's what ;) ... unless people are going to be picky, which is my point.
"Everyone"? Are we making the mistake of thinking that the forums represent all of p99 again?

I'm sure it'll be fine. If anything, people will be happy that more tanks are available.

Swish
09-11-2015, 08:37 PM
"Everyone"? Are we making the mistake of thinking that the forums represent all of p99 again?

Nope, but I know a lot of people who said they were waiting (not on the forum).

thufir
09-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Nope, but I know a lot of people who said they were waiting (not on the forum).

Uh-huh. Nonetheless, the opportunity to be in newbie groups with bard/sk/paladin/ranger/cleric/<any other> doesn't sound bad to me.

webrunner5
09-11-2015, 09:54 PM
All Hybrid classes suck on average. Plain and Simple. :o

I know I will take a blast of shit for that statement. :D

People are more than happy to have 2 Iksar Monks in a group with a 44% XP penalty, but God help you if a Pally, Ranger, Sk wants to join. :o

But a Pally, Ranger, Sk DOES suck unto they got AA's later in the game, and they will still suck in Velious because they will NEVER get AA's to help them out..

They are the "Red Headed Stepchild" of EQ, and will always be on here. Not going to change any time soon.