PDA

View Full Version : Custom Content or Custom Class?

LordRayken
09-19-2015, 08:56 AM
I saw a thread or two on this but nothing about this specific topic.

I made a post a while back on the off topic forums about the Archer class concept, and perhaps adding a "classic" themed race to Project 99, that feels like it came right out of the original EverQuest. Aviak was a popular one, but I remember old classic polls where Gnoll and Orc got really high votes. I don't know if anyone else remembers those, it was a really old poll from SOE's website. I don't mean a new model. I am talking literally taking the Aviak or Orc model out of the classic game, polishing the textures up, and adding it in. I'm sure some reskin could create Orc facial variations or could create a female Orc. (Ew). This would be much better than what SOE did with the Frogloks in my opinion, and I'd rather play an original classic Froglok model than what ended up coming out in live.

Anyways, on the class. Archery as it stands has a lot of the same mechanics as melee and dex affects it the same exact way strength affects melee. EverQuest was always missing a classic bow ranged character, like the Archer, and I feel that Nilbog and the rest of the developers here would be the ones to do it properly. No, the only ones to do it properly, and balance it so that it's "classic."

This concept would only be visited of course once Project99 is a perfect recreation of original EQ, obviously.

BahamutDF
09-19-2015, 11:29 AM
There is literally an infinite list of things they can do with this project in the next few years. I think as a baseline Blue should always remain unchanged. Then they can launch a new server to progress through Kunark and Velious at a Live like pace and then veer off into custom content. Depending upon what they had in mind, whether it's classes or continents, I bet it would draw more people over to P1999 and I'm certain they'd do a terrific job developing it.

Champion_Standing
09-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Erudite monks

DevGrousis
09-19-2015, 01:16 PM
IMO, instead of a new class I think it'd be better for them to add different classes to races who don't have them. But only in a way that makes sense ( good example of one NOT to do would be Ogre Wizard ).

As far as custom content goes, I think that creating totally new content (like the Shards of D) would be a mistake. There were certain zones, items, mechanics, etc in future expansions that people felt were classic feeling, and others that were not at all and changed the game for the worse. I think that they take those things that felt more classical inclined and add them into the game. For instance, the mortal races of Norath gaining access to the homes of the gods like Plane of Innovation, Plane of Justice, etc: Classic. Plane of Knowledge having books you could click to go anywhere in the world: Not classic.

astronaut
09-19-2015, 02:33 PM
I throw in my vote for a hybrid shaman mage class with access to the epic pet without the ridiculous epic quest.

astronaut
09-19-2015, 02:33 PM
And don't say beastlord lol

LordRayken
09-19-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure about adding classes to races that didn't originally have them. Although an Erudite Monk would be cool.

I don't know what the devs plans are, but keeping blue totally unchanged and releasing a new progression server where it's blue with a bunch of other classic goodies seems like a bad idea. The servers are basically competing with one another at that point. I'm pretty sure most classic players feel as if it doesn't have to be 100% the same to still feel "classic."

I don't feel like any of the content after Luclin, or a lot of it during Luclin, maintained the classic feel. So they'd really have to pick and choose specific areas of content to port over. I'm still most interested in an Archer class. I'd like to see bows used.

Mesenkomaha
09-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Troll bard.

LordRayken
09-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Troll bard.

New instrument. Drumsticks. You beat them on the enemy's skulls.

But for real, I don't think a Troll or Ogre could ever have the finesse for instruments.

maskedmelon
09-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Erudite monks

^ this. Remove all race/class restrictions ^^ and add some kind of Mage Knight class, cloth pbaoe and two-handed weapons :D

LordRayken
09-19-2015, 11:47 PM
^ this. Remove all race/class restrictions ^^ and add some kind of Mage Knight class, cloth pbaoe and two-handed weapons :D

Hah, not sure how classic a Mage Knight would feel.

wormed
09-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Classic content... not EZ Server 2.0.

SCB
09-20-2015, 12:40 AM
Put Luclin/PoP raid content in custom zones with Velious+ level drops (and the CT revamp). Do all of this on a new server so this work of art is never changed from museum-quality.

Nothing else ever needs to happen.

Secrets
09-20-2015, 02:46 AM
Always wanted to experiment with another class added to the game...I still think a class that functions solely on mana siphoning would be a neat addition to the EQ world.

Something that's never been explained - where do Wizards and other classes get their mana from? Obviously not the deities of Norrath, but some other part of Norrath that mortals haven't been able to touch other than channeling life and death: the magical realm.

Clerics focus on life, Mages focus on elements, Necromancers draw their power from the afterlife... what about Enchanters? I think there is room for a 'magical tank' in EverQuest, and not in the traditional sense.

Spellshield is a concept I came up with years ago, and I've been struggling to implement it into EQ in some way: The concept is simple,

-They are able to completely negate magical effects similar to Rune spells. Fear, root, snare, etc, would remove one 'counter' of the warding effect. DD spells would absorb damage. Whichever is expended first, the 'counter' or the 'ward', results in the removal of the spell.
-They are able to transfer jolts of mana similar to enchanters (except they directly /heal/ mana, not regenerate it),

-They are able to steal mana from their targets to regenerate their friends' hitpoints (only heal over times) based on the NPC's mana pool and the amount of mana stolen.
-They can give people large amounts of mana that they have saved up at once (based on the amount saved up, think of it like a reverse manaburn spell)
-They cannot manipulate their foes. Instead, think of them like an enchanter/cleric hybrid who gets their sources from the magical realm, and all of them must worship Zebuxorouk or Veeshan.

-The 'expansion' story that introduces these is a result of Al'Kabor, who finally realizes his purpose in Norrath after failing to open a portal to Luclin. Instead of going to Luclin, he translocates himself beyond the bounds of space and time. Veeshan catches word of this power, and sends the dragons upon mortals in full force to destroy them and capture Al'Kabor. Norrath's defeat would mean that Veeshan would be free to pursue Al'Kabor.
-The boss of the expansion is ultimately Veeshan, whose giant legs are all adventurers can hit, her four legs will span beyond 4 different zones, and to complete the raid encounter and ultimately defeat her will require the effort of all mortal beings to band together and coordinate one final strike against the followers of Veeshan.

-I'm very drunk so don't mind my posting

LordRayken
09-20-2015, 02:49 AM
A magical tank, isn't that already like Paladin or Shadowknight?

Secrets
09-20-2015, 03:18 AM
A magical tank, isn't that already like Paladin or Shadowknight?

Magical focused tank, lore wise.

Paladin focuses on life, Shadowknight on necromancy/death, SpellShield would focus on Magic.

Druzzil Ro would also be a deity option.

Bristlebaner
09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Gnome shaman.

Bristlebaner
09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Rangers should also get Othmir pets.

Itap
09-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Keep the custom content with classic EQ in mind, imo. I dont think we should see any ogre wizards or gnome monks, but maybe enable halfling rangers and gnome SK's (as they did on live during luclin).

Custom content should focus on zones and encounters that have that classic feel, without making the game feel like EZ server.

Daldaen
09-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Planes of Power is all we need, no custom required. Best expansion by the population, by the polls, by the ratings, by the content.

Swish
09-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Keep the custom content with classic EQ in mind, imo. I dont think we should see any ogre wizards or gnome monks

Lessons to learn from EQ2, I agree :p

Coridan
09-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Kerra playable. Not Vah Shir, actual Polynesian themed Kerra ala Kerra Isle.

Also forget Troll Bard. Go Ogre Bard, no more interrupted songs!

Swish
09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Kerra playable. Not Vah Shir, actual Polynesian themed Kerra ala Kerra Isle.

Also forget Troll Bard. Go Ogre Bard, no more interrupted songs!

oh man, I'd roll an EQ1 kerran in a heartbeat... keep the meowing sound on them (as with spirit wolf illusion howl etc) :D

Ryba
09-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Planes of Power is all we need, no custom required. Best expansion by the population, by the polls, by the ratings, by the content.

planes of time was the perfect capstone raid to EQ and progression there was mostly pretty cool. The instancing was well done and the sheer volume of PoP raids kept the top tier guilds away from the old content, allowing for lots of drama free nostalgic soloing and plenty of room to breathe for small guilds with niche interests.

The only thing I actually hated was the bloated, boring alternate advancement grind. I think I ended with 400 or so aa points which gave me assburgers and polio. I can't imagine what kind of mental damage you get when you pass 1000AA.

But as far as custom content goes...I don't like it. It would be next to impossible to make it fit with the "canon" and it would always seem awkward.

... But a portal stone to Temple of Ssraeshza with a difficulty calibrated to server max level would be pretty legit...same for Vex Thall if you could start your raid at Thall Va Kelun

Coridan
09-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Shouldn't be hard to make it fit with canon. The EQ d20 books do a great job giving the canon lore on areas that weren't made into zones.

Champion_Standing
09-20-2015, 01:48 PM

I've always thought it would be cool to have a classic server with a lot more class/race combos opened up. Or even custom class changing quests to become a class that your race normally can't select.

wood elf shaman and erudite monk plz Rogean

indiscriminate_hater
09-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Troll bard! They can play fifes

Coridan
09-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Some of those would be major projects, like Erudite Monk which would require all new animations. New races, like Kerra as much as I want it, require armor skins.

LordRayken
09-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Would Erudite Monk require new animations? I don't want this to be an EZ server or anything like that either. This is the only server I can think of where something new could be introduced and it actually be kept "classic" without it being ridiculous or silly. I want new stuff, but I also don't want the feel to change. It would be challenging.

And I didn't think about Kerra. The original Kerra, not some remade Vah Shir thing. I'd play one of those instantly. I can only imagine how fun a Kerra would be.

Some of those would be major projects, like Erudite Monk which would require all new animations. New races, like Kerra as much as I want it, require armor skins.

Coridan, I think the people who make the hi-res race textures would also be able to take the current monster model and remake the textures there too. I wouldn't think it would be impossible to put armor skins on them. They already stretch them to Ogres, Trolls, Erudites, and Gnomes.

maskedmelon
09-20-2015, 03:28 PM
I've always thought it would be cool to have a classic server with a lot more class/race combos opened up. Or even custom class changing quests to become a class that your race normally can't select.

This is how I think it should be done. I've never liked artificial barriers and I think faction should play a much more significant role. If a specific race does not normally practice a certain craft, then make it very difficult for that race to become that class via quests, etc. Removing it entirely from the world as an option limits RP. ^^v

Eldon
09-20-2015, 06:08 PM
ogre rog pls

Tuljin
09-20-2015, 06:17 PM
New server pls

LordRayken
09-20-2015, 06:18 PM
New server pls

No pls

LGraves
How about flying mounts and instanced zones?

LordRayken
How about flying mounts and instanced zones?

Oh god no.

How about something new that keeps the theme of classic and is built around current gameplay mechanics.
:)

wormed
09-20-2015, 07:31 PM
New server pls

New server following classic timeline to PoP, pls.

uygi
09-21-2015, 12:15 AM
I always wanted to see an enchanter/rogue hybrid. They both share strong deception/illusion elements. Balancing would take some work, but making it feel classic would be easy. I imagine dual wield without double attack, appropriately weakened rogue abilities (slower sneak [but they have invis...], weakened backstab, no evade). Some useful but limited mez ability, no powerful charm pets, except maybe as a discipline. Aggro reduction through spells only. I suppose they would be a leather class?

I thought this was the obvious choice for a new class in 1999, and I still think it would be awesome. Added benefit is that the coding would probably be pretty straightforward, as they're all mechanics that seem to be manipulated pretty effectively on P99 already, but they would fit together in a very different way.

Jfertal
09-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Troll bard.

rip da oogly stick...

LordRayken
09-21-2015, 12:54 AM
I always wanted to see an enchanter/rogue hybrid. They both share strong deception/illusion elements. Balancing would take some work, but making it feel classic would be easy. I imagine dual wield without double attack, appropriately weakened rogue abilities (slower sneak [but they have invis...], weakened backstab, no evade). Some useful but limited mez ability, no powerful charm pets, except maybe as a discipline. Aggro reduction through spells only. I suppose they would be a leather class?

I thought this was the obvious choice for a new class in 1999, and I still think it would be awesome. Added benefit is that the coding would probably be pretty straightforward, as they're all mechanics that seem to be manipulated pretty effectively on P99 already, but they would fit together in a very different way.

I think ideas that go too far into new mechanics can lose the feel of classic pretty quickly. There aren't many niches that are left to be filled, either. One of the primary reasons I felt like Archer was one of the last areas classic EQ was weak in. And just bows in general.

am0n
09-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Anyways, on the class. Archery as it stands has a lot of the same mechanics as melee and dex affects it the same exact way strength affects melee. EverQuest was always missing a classic bow ranged character, like the Archer, and I feel that Nilbog and the rest of the developers here would be the ones to do it properly. No, the only ones to do it properly, and balance it so that it's "classic."

EQ got such a creature. It's called the Ranger: Luclin Edition.

rhemmiel
09-23-2015, 12:57 AM

It's really not too difficult to overlay existing armor textures onto models they weren't originally meant for, with just some minor editing they look pretty great.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1063.photobucket.com %2Falbums%2Ft512%2FGnomish1%2FArmoredFroginMaleHal flingVeliousArmor_zps684c3386.jpg&hash=3723f2784a09be33ea59616700f863e2

Plus Kerrans already have multiple armor textures

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1063.photobucket.com %2Falbums%2Ft512%2FGnomish1%2FKerranMaleTexture01_ zpsbe559230.jpg&hash=d7c127f97aae2c19fd16313ee531ac2f

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1063.photobucket.com %2Falbums%2Ft512%2FGnomish1%2FKerranFemaleTexture0 1_zps71e2377b.jpg&hash=56b2e73de23d575212f3e3bd954f0daf

LordRayken
09-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Your images didn't work haha. I was curious to see them, though.

rhemmiel
09-23-2015, 01:05 AM
Sorry here we go haha
You can definitely achieve some interesting stuff

LordRayken
09-23-2015, 01:08 AM
Thanks for posting those!

Those look pretty good. I think the main thing is that the models just need touch ups for the actual creatures at that point.

rhemmiel
09-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how viable making adjustments to the actual model is but it could lead to some interesting possibilities. Anyways, whether or not it has a place on this server I'd love to be able to play a froggy someday. Or any classical non-playable race for that matter whether it be Orcs, Gnolls, Aviaks, or Othmir haha. IMO as long as it's in the spirit of classic I'd be all for it.

LordRayken
09-23-2015, 02:00 AM
Yeah I'm not sure how viable making adjustments to the actual model is but it could lead to some interesting possibilities. Anyways, whether or not it has a place on this server I'd love to be able to play a froggy someday. Or any classical non-playable race for that matter whether it be Orcs, Gnolls, Aviaks, or Othmir haha. IMO as long as it's in the spirit of classic I'd be all for it.

You're right there with me on that. I want to be able to play on a classic server and still feel classic with the addition of new classic content. I don't think any other server could pull this off, only Project 99. I don't want a bunch of custom ridiculous stuff.