PDA

View Full Version : Corpse Run Journal...The life and times of

Auvyen
11-14-2010, 12:16 AM
So... I'm Auvyen and I'll be making a new character tonight. All experiences and awesomeness that I go through will be posted here on a weekly basis! This isn't my first time playing EQ but I've never really picked up on it. When I did play it was after Velious and I've never gotten a character above 15 or so. That was mostly because I've never really found a character to stick with, but hopefully having a record of my characters life here will change that!

I'm going to have some basic rules to keep this genuine and fun. There are rules to my play style and they are:

1) no assistance from characters out of my level range (isn't there a group level limit?)
2) no handouts
3) no re-rolls
4) no plat or items from my other chars

Alright gotta pick something to play....

ESTIMATED PLAY TIME IS DAILY MWF FROM 5-8 PM central time. If you'd like to join me on this most awesome adventure

ransom16
11-14-2010, 12:20 AM
If you haven't made it past level 15, you really haven't experienced Everquest in the slightest... Good luck

Lazortag
11-14-2010, 12:34 AM
If you haven't made it past level 15, you really haven't experienced Everquest in the slightest... Good luck

Totally not true. Everquest is best early on when you're just discovering everything. If I could have my mind wiped so that I could relive classic eq I'd do it in a second.

SVentura
11-14-2010, 05:05 AM
It doesn't seem like you're asking for votes, but I would have to vote for you to play a class anyways.

My vote is:

Monk!

Gogo with it!

ransom16
11-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Totally not true. Everquest is best early on when you're just discovering everything. If I could have my mind wiped so that I could relive classic eq I'd do it in a second.

Opinions :P The Everquest experience to me is once you're hitting dungeons / raiding / have all of your classes abilities to use~

Darklake
11-14-2010, 06:52 AM
In your mid teens you may not have all your class abilities, but you've got an awful lot of the class defining abilities available to you, e.g.

Druid : Heals, buffs, snare, root, harmony, damage shield
Enchanter : Illusions, charm, debuff, mez, root
Necro : Pet, Taps, DoTs taps, pact, feign death
Ranger : Die a lot :-)

etc.

By that time you're past the "go up to a mob and whack it until it's dead, loot, repeat" phase, and you're finding the (more usual) role you're going to be playing - tank, heal, crowd control, dps. Sure, groups can still easily consist of 6 people just walking up to mobs, whacking them until they're dead and looting, but when the cleric is oom all the time because he's been nuking the adds it can all turn to shit.

At 15, chances are you now know what is expected of your class. Eventually you'll find that the entrance to (say) the Hole is no different to the entrance of Crushbone, it's just the numbers are bigger. It's quite narrow minded to say they haven't experienced it "in the slightest".

There's a lot of people who think EQ is all about a race to 50 "and then the game starts there". There's others who want to sit in ECT and trade all day. There's others still who want to tradeskill and nothing else.

That's fine, and that's the EQ they want to play.

gprater
11-14-2010, 12:49 PM
IMO the best part of any MMO is the beginning. All is new and dangerous. You have no money or resources to speak of. You craft stuff and are proud of it. The sense of accomplishment is high.

Once you get a high level toon then all that goes away. Its still fun, but no where near the same.

Spud
11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I like your style Auvyen, best of luck

Auvyen
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Alrighty have a character named Auvyen. I'm a flippin monk! In Freeport, so if you want to join me make a new char and send me a tell. Will be on for the next 3 hours!

Auvyen
11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Leveled 1-4 today mostly in the newb zone. Got a stack of bonechips. Died a ton trying to bite more than I could chew off bears and wolfs in the commonlands but got several HQ pelts which I sold.

A good guy named Silence handed me a bunch of gear, but as per rules I banked em for my bard instead of selling and using plat for this char.

Was lfg but no one offered to group, not that it really matters since I dont really need one at this level.

Will be on wednesday from 5-8!

/yes it does
//forever alone...

Curmudgen
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
you my friend then are one lucky ass monk. I have been killing literally hundreds of bears on three different characters in both nek forest and EC and WC.

ZERO hq pelts

korrowan
11-16-2010, 09:18 AM
you my friend then are one lucky ass monk. I have been killing literally hundreds of bears on three different characters in both nek forest and EC and WC.

ZERO hq pelts

I killed Bears exclusively for 3 levels and got 200pp in bear pelts.

Auvyen
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM

ZERO hq pelts

I haven't gotten any bear pelts, but I did get two HQ wolf, HQ cat and shadowed which all sold to give me about 10pp, combined with my loot from newbie zone skeletons I've got...

10pp 12gp 107sp and 309sp

gear currently is

cloth veil
cloth choker
2x cloth wristbands
cloth pants
cloth gloves
short sleeves
newb tunic

2x splintering clubs

1 stack of 20x bone chips and assorted trash
1x belt pouch

I have trouble with yellows, about a 50/50 shot on killing one. Is there anything I can do about my gear to help improve this?

Darklake
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Visit the bank and change up that copper and silver - your weight must be around 30 :-)

Lose the Splintering Clubs. At 6 weight each, they make up the majority of your 14 weight limit, so your AC will be taking a plummet. Get a single Cracked Staff instead, better ratio than your bare hands up until level 10. Usually find them on a merchant near the newbie yards for just over a plat. That way both 1HB and H2H will skill up instead of just H2H.

Shame you didn't start in Qeynos. You could be picking up netted gear in the Aqueducts from the Frogloks, and starting on Gnoll Scouts for their fangs. Netted gloves are a must for when you want to start smacking wisps.

karsten
11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
just run to qeynos, you can make it!

Auvyen
11-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Visit the bank and change up that copper and silver - your weight must be around 30 :-)

Lose the Splintering Clubs. At 6 weight each, they make up the majority of your 14 weight limit, so your AC will be taking a plummet. Get a single Cracked Staff instead, better ratio than your bare hands up until level 10. Usually find them on a merchant near the newbie yards for just over a plat. That way both 1HB and H2H will skill up instead of just H2H.

Shame you didn't start in Qeynos. You could be picking up netted gear in the Aqueducts from the Frogloks, and starting on Gnoll Scouts for their fangs. Netted gloves are a must for when you want to start smacking wisps.

You need a magic item to take on wisps right? Perhaps I can find a cheap one at the tunnels. The money I'm getting from silks/chips/pelts isn't too bad

up to 17pp total

Darklake
11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Cheapest/best magic weapon is a Mod rod from a high level Mage. Main problem is it being no rent, so you'll have to duel someone before logging so it stays on your corpse. Can't think of a cheap magic 1HB off the top of my head; my Enamelled Black Mace was 200pp and will be better than fists up until level 30, after which your fists become magic anyway.

Auvyen
11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Is killing wisps all that important in the first place? The orc 1-2 should be able to accomodate me once I hit 5 or 6 till 9-10 or so right? From there I should be able to move on to dervishes in WC, or I could do lavastorm.

hedbonker
11-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Killing wisps is XP + decent cash. About 10P per GLS.

Dr4z3r
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM

The weight penalty is pretty much negligible under level 14 or so, see:

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Monk

Lyrik
11-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't the magic Mesh gloves on frogs from Upper Guk grant H2H magic-ness? That could be a cheap wisp killing solution.

girth
11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Don't the magic Mesh gloves on frogs from Upper Guk grant H2H magic-ness? That could be a cheap wisp killing solution.

Yes and you can often find them on the vendor at the EFP gate.

Darklake
11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
The weight penalty is pretty much negligible under level 14 or so, see:

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Monk

"negligible", maybe - but still noticeable. My monk gets hit a lot harder when his weight is at 30 as opposed to 14.

Rhalous
11-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Lyrik and Girth's advice about finding mesh gloves is spot on, Auvyen. You can go to Upper Guk right now if you wanted to. The frogloks at the entrance drop mesh, so you can stick around there and learn the entrance area while you xp and farm. You could always wait until around lvl 9 and go with a shaman, though. Shaman get Spirit of Wolf at level 9, so you wouldn't need help from someone outside your level range and might actually outrun some mobs that aggro you on the way to Upper Guk.

Auvyen
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I can start killing wisps at level 9, so I don't really have to worry about the gloves till then. But the question remains if I should go to Guk or to Qeynos to pick up the netted gloves. Also do I need netted shoes to be able to kick willow wisps?

Lyrik
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Guk.

ShivanAngel
11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure gloves will work fine for whisps. Once you hit 10 you start getting strikes, which i believe use your hand slot or are magic already.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

toddfx
11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Nice choice going with the Monk for this adventure. Of all the classes i've tried, the monk has been my constant. It's a great tool of all trades class. FD makes for safe exploring and soloing, and the high DPS makes them valuable to groups and for some fast pace farming. No staring at mana or buying spells, and the ability to defend yourself on a corpse run is a great plus. You can make it in the world with nothing but your own two fists.

If I don't feel like twisting on my bard or chain healing on my druid, my monk makes for great laid back playing.