PDA

View Full Version : Resist equation.

maestrom
10-05-2015, 10:12 PM
I dug around on the wiki a bit and I didn't see what I'm looking for.

What are the elements in the resist calculation?

Does the level of the spell matter? That is, if spell A is level 5 and has no resist mod, does it have the same chance of landing as a level 60 spell of the same line with no resist mod? Assume the caster is level 60 and casting both spells on the same mob.

What about clickies? Does elder spiritist vambraces have the same chance of landing as the drones of doom cast from the druid's spell book?

Edit: my guess is its just caster level, spell resist mod, target level, and target resist. I'm just curious if there's other stuff in there.

Cribanox
10-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Did anyone ever really figure this out for this game?

indiscriminate_hater
10-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Probably also takes into account your skill level for whichever spell type you're casting. But, these tend to be maxed per level, so will correlate very highly with caster level

Swish
10-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Is it wrong that the precise details of something should be unknown? I feel like this is online math simulator sometimes as it is the way some people think.

Don't forget to enjoy EQ while you're scribbling down calculations for everything you're doing ;)

maestrom
10-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Is it wrong that the precise details of something should be unknown? I feel like this is online math simulator sometimes as it is the way some people think.

Don't forget to enjoy EQ while you're scribbling down calculations for everything you're doing ;)

This kinda stuff is fun for me. It's, near as I can tell, a new area of the game that isn't super well documented.

indiscriminate_hater
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM

Is it wrong that people want to be better players by trying to understand game mechanics? And he's not asking for precise details, he's discussing factors

fugazi
10-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Does the level of the spell matter? That is, if spell A is level 5 and has no resist mod, does it have the same chance of landing as a level 60 spell of the same line with no resist mod? Assume the caster is level 60 and casting both spells on the same mob.

Some spells affect only certain level ranges. The lull line gets improvements as you go, but the spell also scales with charisma. It can be resisted, critically resisted (resulting in a pull) or land. That's an example of the 'lower level spell'.

Other than that, spells are affected by your character level (or as others suggested, your skill in the corresponding skill - which I don't think is true, going by the resist rate on nukes cast by hybrids with next to no skill in evoc) versus the level of the mob. Is the difference applied as a per level bonus? I don't know, but a 39 cleric resists more nukes cast by festering hags in Unrest than a 34 one. Reversely, a 40 cleric will have more troubles landing anti-undead nukes in City of Mist than a 44 one.

Resist gear obviously improves your chances to resist effects, but how does this work with the 'level bonus'? I got no clue. I do know that having 60 magic resist on my 39 cleric made me resist almost all magic based spells the festering hags (28-30) cast on me. Sometimes one would go through, but if so I still resisted most of the damage.

Other spells that make me think 'spell level' is not a part of spell resists are the many low level spells hybrids use up to lvl60: flame lick and snare on ranger, disease cloud on the paladin and then the low level stuns from both cleric and paladin.

tl;dr: some spell lines are inherently coded to affect certain level ranges of mobs, caster lvl vs enemy lvl matters, resists matter and some spells are modified by stats (charisma). And some spells have innately higher and lower resist rates :)

Lenas
10-06-2015, 05:32 PM
EverQuest Spell Resist Data Analysis (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38673)

maestrom
10-06-2015, 05:41 PM
EverQuest Spell Resist Data Analysis (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38673)

Thank you!

I looked through and it doesn't seem like another matters other than level of caster and target, resist modifier on the spell, and resist values of the target.

So unless there's some different information, whether a spell is a clickie, whether a spell is of a lower rank (the spell is available to the caster at an earlier level), and the class of the caster should not matter.