PDA

View Full Version : RED OR BLUE (New Player)

MrPopo
10-19-2015, 06:35 PM
I know this will probably cause loads of debate and trolling and what not, but Im looking to get back involved in p99, would you suggest blue or red. What are your reasons? Hows the player count for both servers

Evia
10-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Pros for blue:

-More people on server
-no fear of getting randomly ganked
-established economy. easy to jump in even new and find some cheap armor upgrades easily

Cons for Blue:

-End game raiding is congested and lots of bickering/fighting. have to do some weird complicated class system. Tougher to raid/get raid loot compared to red.

-If you have a conflict with someone you need to petition or report to GM to handle it. With red you can just kill them usually.

Pros to Red:

-Lvl faster. they put an exp mod on the server so it's pretty nice

-Adrenaline rushes with pvp battles. adds a cool element to the game. can be a con for some.

-Easier to raid. not as much competition.

-Less people. easier to find camps open

Cons for Red:

-Less people. sometimes hard to find grps

-no real established economy. tougher to move items, and to find them.

-Lots of ignorant/racist/hateful remarks in global ooc

-having a global ooc

-one guild basically dominating the whole server

----------------------------

As a whole RED felt more like classic EQ to me in a lot of ways. but the lack of people and toxic shit talking eventually weighed on me. Blue's population is really what keeps me playing. that and all the time and investment I have in my characters. Both servers have their pros and cons but in the end I'd decide if pvp is an element you can't live without and if the answer is yes I'd just play red. If it doesn't matter much to you I'd go blue.

Ele
10-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Depends on your goals/time. Do you just want to come back casually? Do you want to experience lower-tier end game? Do you want to experience high-tier end game? Do you want to PVP? How much time do you have to spend each day/week?

Blue:
1500+ prime time
Normal xp rates.
Can only rely on petition quest to solve camp disputes.

Red:
300 max primetime, usually 100-200
Huge group xp bonus to encourage grouping.
Can kill people if you want to claim a camp (if in level range).

Both have bloated high ends with tons of 60s. Red has people with twink alts of various levels to be able to engage you in PVP if they want you out of a camp/zone FYI.

maestrom
10-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Can kill people if you want to claim a camp (if in level range).

This has literally never been a feature for me. I had friends that insisted that we all play on Rallos in Classic and eventually on Sullon. What it usually means, for new players, is that some twink duo can come in and take your camp.

Vexenu
10-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Evia summed it up very well. I would just add very simply:

Are you a casual player? Go Blue.

Are a hardcore/competitive player? Go Red.

The most annoying thing about Red for me as a fairly casual player is the economy. It's extremely difficult to find the items you need, and selling items is equally problematic (especially low-mid range gear). There just isn't much of an active market, certainly nothing approaching the vigor and liquidity of EC on Blue. I'm sure this can be alleviated to an extent by joining up with a tight-knit guild, but it makes starting out on Red very difficult for non-soloing (plat farming) classes. In contrast, gear is much easier to come by on Blue, even for grouping classes. It's very easy to just run around and enjoy leveling and acquiring gear (which is the main essence of "playing EverQuest") on Blue. If you're the kind of player who thinks the game doesn't really begin until 60, however, Red will serve you better, being less populated and offering more content at the high end.

But really, given the XP bonus on Red you might as well try both. I would just advise you roll a Necro, Mage, Druid, Enchanter or Shaman as your first toon on Red. Very rough starting out there (at least without friends) as a class that can't farm any plat.

maestrom
10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
it's worth noting that the staff have said many times that you are allowed to have one character logged into red at the same time you have a character logged in on blue.

if you're playing classes with lots of down time it would be possible to play both like this.

fandAONgo
10-19-2015, 07:29 PM
play on blue if you're terrible at this game

play on red if u like having fun

B4EQWASCOOL
10-19-2015, 07:56 PM
play on blue if you're terrible at this game

play on red if u like having fun

You are insufferable, but right on the mark with this post.

iruinedyourday
10-19-2015, 08:00 PM
The difference between red and blue is simple to me.

Do you like to explore a world that is dangerous and fresh?

or do you like to explore dungeons full of people like its time square in New York?

Do you want to have hilarious fun every night?

or do you want to nerd out with a few people about mob pathing, agro radius, social range?

Do you want to solo uninterrupted but don't mind waiting all night in line for someone to leave the camp you want?

Or do you want to find any camp in the game but risk the name spawning only in time for someone to run in and kill you and take it?

Once you get to the end of your characters journey do you want to spend free time standing around in EC

or do you want to spend free time running around and fighting all over the place.

Both are fun, Ive described it like this a few times before:

Blue is like math class & red is like recess.

Varren
10-19-2015, 10:23 PM
^

Aeaolena
10-19-2015, 10:25 PM
Blue has a better community, in my humble opinion.

I've been 60 for a couple years now, and have never been bored. Lots of big guilds on Blue with established communities and their assorted casts of characters. Lots of Forumquesting, bullshitting, gossiping about other guilds, racing other guilds for targets, drunken late-night banter on Ventrilo, etc.

I played on a PvP server in WoW. And I can agree that the "Be on the lookout for Danger at ANY MOMENT" is a cool factor, but I prefer the PvE side of things with Everquest. There is enough conflict with racing other raid guilds (or shifting alliances of other raid guilds) enough to keep things interesting. And if I am really looking for that "rush" of adrenaline -- I'll just log in and play a few games of Team Fortress 2 on Steam.

And what's wrong with hangin' out at the EC tunnel or in front of Thurg bank? Fashionquest on!

simp403
10-19-2015, 10:33 PM
choose life

shimonuh
10-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Flip a coin

Pipip
10-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Try them both.

Personally I prefer red. The high pop of blue was nice when I was starting out, but it started to wear on me as I got higher in level. It was just too overcamped for me. Your experience might be different.

The one thing that I miss most about blue is EC. Finding the gear you want on red can take a while, and it's usually more expensive than on blue.

pink grapefruit
10-19-2015, 11:17 PM
I've played both.

Blue is better for the classic experience of leveling, I think. I really like leveling and this is where blue shines for me. Classic xp rate, ability to /shout LFG in basically any level-appropriate zone. Seems everyone is twinked though, which is a definite downside. Maybe it's better now that you have to be 46 to get your epic but I'm not a big fan of twinks being more prominent than new players.

Red has a lot of newbies, and everyone is pretty nice for the most part. More people on red seem to look out for newbies and give them gear or buffs. The xp is too fast for my liking though, and if you take a break for a couple days all your friends will be 50+ when you come back.

End game blue is terrible. I'd never played EQ blue before so maybe it's just not what I'm used to. I prefer it on red with lots of targets available and the fun pvp fights that happen sometimes. You'll never run out of things to do on red endgame, and it is crazy boring on blue.

My vote goes to red, but blue might be better, especially if you hate pvp.

Oleris
10-19-2015, 11:35 PM
ITT:
1) blue people saying blue

2) red players saying red

iruinedyourday
10-19-2015, 11:44 PM
ima give you infos one of these days oley and take you on a pvpventure

Oleris
10-20-2015, 12:31 AM
ima give you infos one of these days oley and take you on a pvpventure

http://i.imgur.com/IlJq1c9.gif

applesauce25r624
10-20-2015, 12:48 AM
Blue is like math class & red is like recess.

blue is for smart people, red is for dumb jocks

got it

captnamazing
10-20-2015, 12:55 AM
where do I pick RP server?

MrPopo
10-20-2015, 12:57 AM
I believe I have decided to roll Necro on Red. They will come to fear me. Thanks for all of the responses I really appreciate them all.

iruinedyourday
10-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Blue

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/chalkboard-620x354.jpg

Red

http://funcorner.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/disco.jpg

am0n
10-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Sooo...

Huddle together in a room with a bunch of smelly guys full of drugs and alcohol, running around screaming profanity with their ball sacks hanging out...

Or be well dressed while stimulating your mind and fostering a future of success for yourself...

Got it.

hurt
10-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Good choice. I strongly advise against leveling in crushbone, unrest and mistmore. That is the common mistake most players make. Twinks are fond of these zones and it can get annoying fighting invincible players.

As you have rolled a necro, one would presume you are an iksat. Stick to kunark, you will encounter pvp, but it will usually be other lowbies and not super twinks.

Also, join <thunderdome>

haaschnp
10-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Why not both?

maskedmelon
10-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Evia summed things up pretty darn well and other folks had lots of good bits to add too ^^ I'd add that if you are rolling necro, be sure to explore your class' flexibility in groups! Necros are of course fantastic solo artists, but many players fail to grasp the depth of utility that Necros offer and the diverse roles they can fill in groups ^^ welcome to Red!

Also, as someone else already mentioned, join Thunderdome ^^

Ella`Ella
10-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Playing Red or Blue, I imagine, is like the difference of vacationing in Detroit or Time's Square.

Ele
10-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Playing Red or Blue, I imagine, is like the difference of vacationing in Detroit or Time's Square.

Both should be avoided, if you value life.

86753o9
10-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Red if you like to have entire continents to yourself. Yesterday I walked from grobb to neriak, every zone in between was empty. It was freaky and kind of sad.

iruinedyourday
10-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Red if you like to have entire continents to yourself. Yesterday I walked from grobb to neriak, every zone in between was empty. It was freaky and kind of sad.

if a community is what you are after, the red one is both more funny than the blue one and more vibrant :)

unless you consider a comunity a random dude that has no interest in talking to you at all monopolising every camp there is :p

Lagaidh
10-22-2015, 05:36 AM

I know what you mean. I rolled a druid on Red. I got near 30 and it was always like that.

The paladin I rolled. Hahaha. *SNGGT* BWAH HA HA AHHA!

maskedmelon
10-22-2015, 02:41 PM
I had no problem finding groups (very often instantly) when I wanted them. Go where the people are and more importantly communicate ^^ Playtime will affect your experience as well. If it is not US prime time then the population is much thinner.

B4EQWASCOOL
10-22-2015, 03:32 PM

What's the difference? Both gross. 8(

thufir
10-22-2015, 04:55 PM
I had no problem finding groups (very often instantly) when I wanted them. Go where the people are and more importantly communicate ^^ Playtime will affect your experience as well. If it is not US prime time then the population is much thinner.

One of the things I have liked about playing a tank on blue is being able to find a group literally anywhere - not just where people normally congregate. For example, I traveled twice to Permafrost when I was in the level range, and both times was able to make a group out of whatever people were wandering around. I didn't even have to do anything; people would just send me tells and ask if I wanted a partner or were lfm.

You can of course also find a group in the usual areas easily, but I do like the feeling on blue that there are people on the server, wherever you go. You can travel with a purpose.

But really...
ITT:
1) blue people saying blue

2) red players saying red

This is pretty bang on, so whatever =D

If you like pvp, Blue doesn't have any, so go Red. Otherwise Blue, I'd say. I don't know why you'd go Red if pvp wasn't a draw for you. I personally don't like eq pvp; it's not well balanced imo.

iruinedyourday
10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't know why you'd go Red if pvp wasn't a draw for you. I personally don't like eq pvp; it's not well balanced imo.

Id say the answer to that might be because of this: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215861

thufir
10-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Id say the answer to that might be because of this: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215861
Not relevant. If I don't like pvp I'm not going to use it to resolve disputes.

iruinedyourday
10-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Not relevant. If I don't like pvp I'm not going to use it to resolve disputes.

what im just making a joke about is you might want to avoid a server where yo uhave to have GM's weigh in on what is or isnt a camp becuse it is so over crowded and people are such dicks that they wont share with you.

what im saying is you WONT have to pvp on red becuse there ARE plenty of camps open for you.

not rellevant

wtf u think ur spock?

god damn robots that play this game.

thufir
10-22-2015, 05:10 PM
what im just making a joke about is you might want to avoid a server where yo uhave to have GM's weigh in on what is or isnt a camp becuse it is so over crowded and people are such dicks that they wont share with you.

what im saying is you WONT have to pvp on red becuse there ARE plenty of camps open for you.

not rellevant

wtf u think ur spock?

god damn robots that play this game.

I'm sure you occasionally have camp disputes and resolve them via pvp. I have in fact seen many red players say exactly this and cite it as a draw. Perhaps this has never happened to you?

Anyway, I find the argument "there isn't any pvp on the pvp server, really, so yeah go red" to be somewhat less than compelling just to avoid camp disputes. YMMV.

iruinedyourday
10-22-2015, 05:17 PM
this is what posing on this forum is like sometimes

http://studentlife.ryerson.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/HomerVendingMachine.gif

Spyder73
10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
if you want classic EQ like how you remember it - Blue

if you want a weird permutation of EQ - Red

iruinedyourday
10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
if you want classic EQ like how you remember it - Blue

if you want a weird permutation of EQ - Red

pfft wtb chardok proxy

selling bard aoe pl's

full set of ragefire armor level 1

kek

welcome to the server by the way mr im brand new and over excited bout it.

maskedmelon
10-22-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't know why you'd go Red if pvp wasn't a draw for you. I personally don't like eq pvp; it's not well balanced imo.

There are plenty of reasons, though if pvp bothers you then it is not a good option. I haven't particularly cared for pvp in the past, but decided to give red a try (after 4 years on blue) for the classic ^^ in doing so though, I accepted I was rolling on a pvp server and expected to encounter pvp. I discovered much more than pvp and an infinitely more classic experience than I'd expected and have had the time of my life (pvp experiences included) ^^

Red does have a significant xp bonus, but gameplay is far more classic. Groups are formed from whatever classes are available, players equip and use dropped items from CB to Velk's and communities are tighter and more meaningful. The XP bonus is also a massive boon to casuals because you can experience classic gameplay in far more places than you could otherwise. The population is another boon to casuals because many camps are open. On the flip side both of those aspects are boons to hardcores too. Then there is the competition, freedom and responsibility that pvp introduces that appeals to others yet.

Red really has something for everyone and is not filled with roflstomp asshats like everyone makes it out to be ^^ In the end it all comes down to attitude ^^ Anything you approach with a shitty on will only offer shitty returns.

thufir
10-22-2015, 06:00 PM
There are plenty of reasons, though if pvp bothers you then it is not a good option.
Yeah, like I said. In the end it comes down to, "do you like eq pvp"? If you do, go Red. If not, go Blue. All that other stuff is just chaff; eventually, on red, you'll have to pvp.

We can agree to disagree on "what's classic", I guess. I played during the classic era and I don't feel the gameplay you have described is classic. On Xegony, people were picky about who they took into groups and they weren't just wearing any ol' thing that dropped. People made fun of others for their shit gear just like they do on Blue... in 2000.

Also, the xp bonus is game breaking for me. I really wish red would take it away. I'd consider it trying it then.

maskedmelon
10-22-2015, 06:07 PM
Yeah, like I said. In the end it comes down to, "do you like eq pvp"?

No, the fact that one does not like a particular thing does not necessarily mean s/he must necessarily dislike it. It is possible to be indifferent, or to choose to be indifferent. I already said I had no interest in pvp when I joined red and I have had the time of my life.

It all comes down to attitude ^^ If you have a poor one, you'll have a poor time.

maskedmelon
10-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Also, the xp bonus is game breaking for me. I really wish red would take it away. I'd consider it trying it then.

And that's fine ^^ I'd thought the same thing until I gave it a go and found that I could actually still advance my character and explore new areas at 10-15hr a week. I went into it with low expectations (but an open mind) and have been pleasantly surprised ^^ You may not be, but you'll never know, so why speculate ^^

thufir
10-22-2015, 06:21 PM
It all comes down to attitude ^^ If you have a poor one, you'll have a poor time.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that ;) You can come in indifferent to something and decide later that you like it or don't like it. In your case, you had "the time of your life". That's fair, but you did make a decision and it wasn't just your awesome attitude that made it so. Sometimes you just don't like something.

titanshub
10-23-2015, 12:13 AM
RED IS DEAD.
RED IS DEAD.
RED IS DEAD.

Izmael
10-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Play on red if you want pvp and agree to deal with borderline retarded and illiterate people (me included), play on blue if you don't.

Monty405
10-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Dont Delay, Play on Green 99 Today!

Jahdu
10-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Pick red if you want EQ on ez mode

Bionic
10-23-2015, 10:07 AM
if a community is what you are after, the red one is both more funny than the blue one and more vibrant :)

unless you consider a comunity a random dude that has no interest in talking to you at all monopolising every camp there is :p

And by Red's "community" he means every person you randomly encounter who is within 4 levels of you attacking you immediately.

On Red you better guild up quick. If you aren't on the list, you're on the menu.

LostCause
10-23-2015, 10:11 AM
blue: https://unknowncystic.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/waiting-in-line.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnenmrKoRc1qcxs5y.jpg

VS

red:

http://www.niemanlab.org/images/television-vast-wasteland.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/todiscoverrussia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Russian-Fist-Fighting.jpg?resize=2000%2C1333

Monty405
10-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Wheres Swish?

Swish
10-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Been away for a few weeks...and posting from the local library (on suicide watch). I can't caption any gifs here but

http://i.imgur.com/m5Q0mAg.gif

http://i.imgur.com/rSw8uaj.jpg

If you rolled on blue, consider deleting and starting again. We all make mistakes.

Star
11-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Red is great

iruinedyourday
11-18-2015, 11:43 PM
And by Red's "community" he means every person you randomly encounter who is within 4 levels of you attacking you immediately.

On Red you better guild up quick. If you aren't on the list, you're on the menu.

some of my best friends ganked me when i was leveling up now we have thanksgiving together.

Layne
11-19-2015, 01:00 AM
Red needs to beef up the solo exp, you guys have jack for groups. Which basically negates the whole "group exp bonus so much faster to level" claim.

Swish
11-19-2015, 04:52 AM
Red needs to beef up the solo exp, you guys have jack for groups. Which basically negates the whole "group exp bonus so much faster to level" claim.

You already level 50% quicker solo on red compared to blue....red is a community experience, you get more out of it when grouping...not to mention you're less vulnerable to an ambush.

Maybe thats where new starters go wrong, they choose (note the word, "choose") to level 1-50 solo but on that journey they get pvp'd and decide to quit. Can't emphasize grouping enough really.

Samsung
11-19-2015, 05:14 AM
Red hands down.

Troxx
11-19-2015, 05:43 AM
Pros for blue:

-More people on server
-no fear of getting randomly ganked
-established economy. easy to jump in even new and find some cheap armor upgrades easily

Cons for Blue:

-End game raiding is congested and lots of bickering/fighting. have to do some weird complicated class system. Tougher to raid/get raid loot compared to red.

-If you have a conflict with someone you need to petition or report to GM to handle it. With red you can just kill them usually.

Pros to Red:

-Lvl faster. they put an exp mod on the server so it's pretty nice

-Adrenaline rushes with pvp battles. adds a cool element to the game. can be a con for some.

-Easier to raid. not as much competition.

-Less people. easier to find camps open

Cons for Red:

-Less people. sometimes hard to find grps

-no real established economy. tougher to move items, and to find them.

-Lots of ignorant/racist/hateful remarks in global ooc

-having a global ooc

-one guild basically dominating the whole server

----------------------------

As a whole RED felt more like classic EQ to me in a lot of ways. but the lack of people and toxic shit talking eventually weighed on me. Blue's population is really what keeps me playing. that and all the time and investment I have in my characters. Both servers have their pros and cons but in the end I'd decide if pvp is an element you can't live without and if the answer is yes I'd just play red. If it doesn't matter much to you I'd go blue.

Perfect summary on page 1

maskedmelon
11-19-2015, 10:25 AM

It's pretty darn easy to make a group. If you sit LFG, you might have trouble. As soon as you swap in an M for that G though, you'll have peeps rollin' in.

derpcake
11-19-2015, 10:33 AM
i'm sure the 100 person holgresh bead list has room for one more pal

gl

Krule
11-19-2015, 10:57 AM
It's pretty darn easy to make a group. If you sit LFG, you might have trouble. As soon as you swap in an M for that G though, you'll have peeps rollin' in.

It took me all of 2 seconds to realize this when I started Red.

Now, even if it's just me I will say LFM because it is 100% true and my groups fill up just fine.

I have toons that aren't even in Thunderdome and they still find groups just fine. They just get to PvP WAY more often. :p

Bionic
11-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Go Red. Group up. Stay out of CB, Unrest, MM when possible. Refer to this (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157532&highlight=making+plat) guide to get some plat. Level very quickly. Raid dragons by Christmas.

You're welcome.

Seltius
11-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Roll on both and decide which you like after giving each a little time. Suggestion about red if you don't like trolls and drama then minimize a box with ooc in it.

applesauce25r624
11-19-2015, 01:00 PM
blue is full... go red

curtischoy
11-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Both are really fun, but you will have to deal with BS on both just in different forms.

On red the BS happens at higher levels (one big reason for this is that you spend little time at lower levels b/c of exp bonus and it's so easy to get a group). This consists of losing your camp to pvp and the most frustrating thing of being sniped while on a raid and wasting 3 hours because <Friends> and others are pretty good at it.

On blue the BS can happen at any level with petitions for camps etc.

I never had a big problem with either server. Both are really fun and extremely different. IMO red is much easier even though your gear will likely be much worse compared to blue. There is basically no death penalty on red because getting back the lost exp (the biggest part of the death penalty) is squashed by a huge exp bonus.

Red is more classic.
Blue is less frustrating.
You will deal with assholes on both servers.
You will deal with awesome people on both servers.

Take this list to be a pro or con of either, I am not saying one is a pro or a con of either server; just spitting out some facts. Decide for yourself.

You can AFK on blue, you shouldn't on red.
You don't need a buff order on blue, you should on red.
You don't always need sow/levi/invis on blue, you should on red.
You don't always need to be on your toes on blue, you should on red.

Swish
11-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Basically red server players are better at elf sim. If you want to play with the all-star team, you know where to be <3

B4EQWASCOOL
11-19-2015, 10:59 PM
blue is full... go red

Monty405
11-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Green 99.

Xaanka
11-20-2015, 09:26 AM
none of the people posting things like "everyone within 4 levels will kill you" have ever played on the red server, by the way

Xaanka
11-20-2015, 09:38 AM
also gonna chime in and say, i give no shits about pvp and the red server's tons of fun to me. and there's many others on the server who feel the same way. hell there's two guilds on the server for that.

the server isn't "empty" and you shouldn't have trouble finding groups if you join <thunderdome> leveling. unless you'e in some weird ass timezone. while the population's low, the tight knit community and global chat facilitate grouping beyond just the benefits from the exp bonus. the server has a huge bias towards US primetime hours, but there is a pretty decent euro and aus community as well. you may just be limited in choice of guilds if you're one of those timezones, come time to raid.

there are twinks on the server, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. almost all of the really bad ones are retired deleted etc these days. it can be a bit rough when you have to deal with them as a new player with no gear, but if you're a good player you'll quickly learn strategies that will help you survive and escape no matter what gear or buffs the twink has. and those skills will stick with you to the endgame and make you a formidable player. pumice their buffs off, and debuffs off yourself. worst case scenario run to a zoneline, log out for 15 minutes and they've gotten bored and left.

on the red server, you can actually crawl through a dungeon, instead of just running through an already-cleared zone to your 1 camp. you can pull whatever your group can handle. often times nameds are already up when you first get there. you level and progress in gear quicker as a result (and the exp bonus) but by no means is red everquest on "easy mode," as certain red exclusive mechanics make the game more difficult than on blue.

on the blue server you wait in lines for named camps. not to mention all the petitions over them. getting griefed by fake petitions, etc. the raid scene on red isn't nearly the mess it is on blue either, but it's very 1 guild dominated.

it's hard to get started and make it from nothing on the red server but a lot of us on the server had to do it, and there are more people sympathetic to new players who will help, than people who will gank you on their twink. most players you will encounter leveling are new players with no gear, or people's alts with basic not-very-twinked starter gear.

play the blue server if you just want to casually level 1-60 without being bothered, but pick red if you want to play for the endgame. your character's progress actually means something beyond showing off in the EC tunnel because of the pvp element, and the pve is more challenging due to no item recharging, threats of pvp, etc. it keeps the game fun and challenging. red's a tougher road to start new on, but more rewarding in the end. there's reasons to like both servers, pick the one that you think fits what you're looking for better.

Swish
11-20-2015, 03:25 PM
+1, good post

Rastignac
11-20-2015, 06:23 PM
red

Zill
11-21-2015, 08:59 AM
In my honest opinion I don't think Red is really a viable server to play on, especially compared to Blue.

I even prefer PvP servers, but Red's population is abysmal and the global OOC is the most annoying solution imo. Like people mentioned you can run across entire continents without bumping into another person but you'll certainly still read all of their opinions about everything thanks to global chat. To me that's not EverQuest, it's a lame chatroom EQ hybrid with the same few people.

Blue for me ty

JurisDictum
11-22-2015, 08:49 PM
I never played red extensively. I did play mostly SZ on live though, and played a good amount of TZ/VZ Null's server. Basically PvP servers have always been much more fun once you are established. As in: 60, in raid guild, have some raid loot. Before that, a lot of the fun is ruined by people with low self-esteem that like to kill newer players via massive stat advantage.

Red is better in regards to griefers (on live SZ -- a lot of these guys were relentless); however, it is pretty bad when it comes to economy. I had the same problem on Nul'ls server, which had less than half the pop. Obviously this can make the game painfully slow early on.

I remember being on nulls server -- filled with about 60 people that were more interested in fighting eachother for the 1000th time than attracting new players. I guess since the server allowed boxing it might have been worse. But I might worry about the same kind of dysfunction on red. Particularly because of the TMO tendency toward RMT and cock-blocking stuff obsolete to them.

Izmael
11-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Red is EQ on hard mode because face it, PvE is EASY, mobs are dumb, predictable and there's not a single mob on P99 that hasn't been killed repeatedly for the last 15 years (save for Kerafyrm or Jaled Dar I suppose). I guess there still are PvE challenges such as soloing or duoing very challenging stuff, or basically killing stuff with very insufficient forces.

But it all boils down to bringing enough tankage / healage / pullage and outhealing the damage the mob deals while pounding on them.

PvP adds (potential) intelligence to your opponents, and makes the game a lot harder at times and (therefore) makes your achievements so much more satisfying.

Swish
11-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Another +1, some great posts in this thread.

tizznyres
11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
It will all depend on how you prefer spending your time in an MMORPG, more specifically, a well dated and emulated one.

PVP in classic EverQuest is extremely awkward, and what myself and many of my friends have always called "clunky", let alone horrifically imbalanced on a one-to-one basis.

That being said, EverQuest PVP actually has a lot going for it, and when it is truly fun, can be lot more enjoyable and immersive than most of the modern PVP MMO renditions we've been getting in the last 10ish years.

If you are not very familiar with PVP in Classic EQ, and don't have an itch to play on a PVP server from the get-go, I would definitely recommend at least starting on Blue.

Blue will let you enjoy all the nostalgia and feels of classic EQ, and Red has massive EXP bonuses for new players anyway. You will likely level much, much faster on Red with refreshed knowledge from Blue + the EXP boosts of Red.

Population figures, I'm sure plenty of people have already answered. Blue is quite thriving, to the point of being overly congested in many areas. Red is the exact opposite.

Blue you will likely always continue to meet new people as you play, Red you will likely be encountering the same small group over and over.

If you really love Classic EQ, try them both out, like many of the players here have.

Rastignac
11-24-2015, 12:07 PM
That being said, EverQuest PVP actually has a lot going for it, and when it is truly fun, can be lot more enjoyable and immersive than most of the modern PVP MMO renditions we've been getting in the last 10ish years.

So true. The difficulty and clunkiness do somehow make it more immersive. Maybe because it reminds us more of RL. PvP games are way too simplified. Life is full of difficulty and error.

Also when you pull of something smooth in EQ it actually means something because shit is so difficult and clunky.

Kinda reminds me of how EQ graphics achieve such a better sense of scale (bridge in GD, Overthere chasm, Gorge of King Xorb) than modern games, despite having like 20 polygons and 10 textures to work with.

JboxCSU
11-24-2015, 12:19 PM
I've played both, red>blue, and I'm not interested in pvp (yet).

The people on red who comment about the griefing is accurate. The people who don't play red generally have exaggerated stories on how bad it is.

There are some people who get jollies by heading to crushbone/unrest/MM and dominating new players with there far superior gear. You can either expect it and level there, or go somewhere else with your stalwart group of adventurers and kill stuff in peace. Outside of those 3 zones, I've never been griefed.

Rastignac
11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I've played both, red>blue, and I'm not interested in pvp (yet).

The people on red who comment about the griefing is accurate. The people who don't play red generally have exaggerated stories on how bad it is.

There are some people who get jollies by heading to crushbone/unrest/MM and dominating new players with there far superior gear. You can either expect it and level there, or go somewhere else with your stalwart group of adventurers and kill stuff in peace. Outside of those 3 zones, I've never been griefed.

The griefing thing is true but I'm in my 50's and it has not been a major element of my red experience, despite camping all those zones. It really just doesn't measure up to a large portion.

JboxCSU
11-24-2015, 12:32 PM
The griefing thing is true but I'm in my 50's and it has not been a major element of my red experience, despite camping all those zones. It really just doesn't measure up to a large portion.

True. Even when I decide to level in MM, for instance, there are plenty of times my group is left alone or the griefers main is off raiding somewhere. It really isn't that bad.

But, if that sort of thing would really bother you, then maybe red isn't for you...just letting you know what you're getting into!

Rastignac
11-24-2015, 12:35 PM
True. Even when I decide to level in MM, for instance, there are plenty of times my group is left alone or the griefers main is off raiding somewhere. It really isn't that bad.

But, if that sort of thing would really bother you, then maybe red isn't for you...just letting you know what you're getting into!

Yeah, if you are super risk-averse Red is not the place for you. If you are someone who rages (and you aren't going to suffer through until you are geared enough to take your rage out on noobs) then red isn't for you.

Crawdad
11-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Play both, see which one you like. Same advice I'd give for what class to play- roll everything that sounds fun and give it a try before settling for one.

I personally enjoy Blue more due to the population (700-1400), community and my unreliable schedule. There are very few zones that are completely empty, and there's always someone in a newbie yard to buff/toss a velium weapon. Most people are sociable if not very friendly and quick to chat about the whole feel good EQ-nostalgia train we're all here for. You wont always be able to get X camp, but that's the price you pay for having a similar-to-Live population (which is more important to me than camping item-X). There's plenty of zones and plenty of people to enjoy your time on Blue, so long as you don't get frustrated by the presence of others. Blue might be for you if you like meeting people, leveling classically, and aren't in a rush for acquiring specific items.

I play on Red occasionally too, and it can be a lot of fun. Some people prefer the Exp bonus to fly through levels and the lack of competition due to the low population (100-350). If PvP is your thing you may or may not have fun, depending on how seriously you take it. EQ made no attempt at balancing PvP, so some classes can be frustrating when coupled with EQ mechanics. Red does have a much smaller population, so if you don't dig the ghost town vibe it might not be your thing. Global OOC helps the server not feel so empty, but comes with what I'll call "lack-luster" banter by and large. Red might be for you if you want to level extremely fast, don't care about the population, and don't mind or enjoy PvP.

So! Play both, see which one you dig. Maybe play both if that's your style.

Xaanka
11-24-2015, 05:15 PM
the population gap's a lot smaller when you consider that usually at least 1/3 the blue pop is AFK at any given time, whether it be in EC tunnel or waiting for a camp to spawn. when you look at red population, those are all players at their keyboard actually playing the game. i mean yeah the population gap is definitely pretty big -- the AFK population on blue alone is probably the entire pop of red, but it's not quite as crazy as you'd think when you consider that.

red off-peak population is abyssmal though. during hours where US people are awake the server feels very much alive, but if you're euro/aus you aren't going to have a good time unless your goal is to farm endgame content uncontested. if anything it's a huge advantage for those guys, but i'm sure it's super frustrating when they try to level alts.

Vrez ZVyx
11-24-2015, 05:48 PM
but if you're euro/aus you aren't going to have a good time unless your goal is to farm endgame content uncontested. if anything it's a huge advantage for those
Farm end game content? There aren't enough people on in the morning to do anything.

Whirled
11-26-2015, 07:42 AM
I know this will probably cause loads of debate and trolling and what not, but Im looking to get back involved in p99, would you suggest blue or red. What are your reasons? Hows the player count for both servers

I got killed in pvp combat today and declared LNS clearly in ooc to get my corpse. All of that was ok, until they proceeded to train mobs onto my naked body when I'm simply attempting get my corpse and leave.... They knew my bind location so they keep training me. I decided to disconnect to avoid losing more exp.

This is allowed because its not enforced or what? Anything that can be done? From what I've read, nothing....

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2120208

^This does not sound like much fun imo, but hey, to each their own.