PDA

View Full Version : AFK Camping

NachtMystium
10-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Is it legal / within the rules to AFK camp a spawn as long as your pet is killing the mob consistently?

Tankdan
10-30-2015, 12:24 AM
no, GMs will move you and dock exp/faction/etc

JackFlash
10-30-2015, 12:25 AM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21437#post21437

NachtMystium
10-30-2015, 12:25 AM
no, GMs will move you and dock exp/faction/etc

Okay, thanks for the info. Apologies for my lack of research :/.

Swish
10-30-2015, 03:31 AM
that shit goes down on live every day :/

Llandris
10-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Is it legal / within the rules to AFK camp a spawn as long as your pet is killing the mob consistently?

No, and if we see you doing it, we will kick you (after making sure you are actually afk).

Swish
10-30-2015, 08:56 AM
is this Llandewen formerly of Europa?

Mead
10-30-2015, 09:04 AM

If you want a free port to EC/FP zone line.

86753o9
10-30-2015, 09:17 AM
What if they're not afk but just ignoring everybody?

Swish
10-30-2015, 09:27 AM
What if they're not afk but just ignoring everybody?

Then they're victims of their own isolation. I've seen people try that at Dhamp when the GMs turn up only to be removed for trying to steal an already cleared spawn that my CY group was doing... he was a TMO guy funnily - being social doesn't come easy for the immersed.

jcr4990
10-30-2015, 03:48 PM
I see this happening allllll the time it seems like. Especially at Pained Soul and the single spawn Holgresh Elders. Possible they aren't AFK but it sure seems like it. Not moving at all and pet doing all dmg /shrug

Llandris
10-30-2015, 03:53 PM
I see this happening allllll the time it seems like. Especially at Pained Soul and the single spawn Holgresh Elders. Possible they aren't AFK but it sure seems like it. Not moving at all and pet doing all dmg /shrug

Petition it

Troxx
10-30-2015, 03:56 PM
If they were truly afk at the holgresh, what's the point?

They'd miss the beads if they dropped, thus defeating the point.

I don't think there's a rule about not being allowed to be lazy and let your pet do all the work for you.

Llandris
10-30-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't think there's a rule about not being allowed to be lazy and let your pet do all the work for you.

No there isn't, unless you are truly afk and letting pet kill a static mob while you are at the mall food court eating Panda Express

Zampini
10-30-2015, 04:08 PM
No there isn't, unless you are truly afk and letting pet kill a static mob while you are at the mall food court eating Panda Express

Mmmm, double orange chicken with fried rice please.

Oleris
10-30-2015, 04:23 PM

Probably use gina or something else that will let them know when they engage an elder so they can switch back and see what it drops.

NachtMystium
10-30-2015, 04:40 PM
I was asking because I suspected it from two players last night and wanted to know before I petitioned, I never saw them move and they werent responding to my tells

Allaanna
10-30-2015, 05:10 PM
I dont think it is too abnormal. You might try sending them a tell before running to a GM, it might even take a few tells to get their attention because it is very likely that they are watching TV or something while their pet does all the work.

NachtMystium
10-30-2015, 05:12 PM
I dont think it is too abnormal. You might try sending them a tell before running to a GM, it might even take a few tells to get their attention because it is very likely that they are watching TV or something while their pet does all the work.

Yeah, I gave it some time and eventually saw them get up and cast so I didnt petition. Just wanted to know the legalities for sure though.

Brut
10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Remember finding some filthy gnome mage afk exping guards in Oggok once. Petitioned, GM showed up, despawned his pet, then we watched as the Bouncer mangled him. Then the GM moved his corpse in the middle of the warrior guild.

GOOD TIMES.

jcr4990
10-30-2015, 05:17 PM

As others have said. People use GINA to play audio trigger when an Elder spawns so they can check it. People never get caught cause they always stay nearby their PC while they're doing it to respond to tells and make sure they catch if an elder spawns. But they're still likely AFK watching TV or playing another game alt tabbed and just checking EQ when an audio trigger pops.

Llandris
10-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Remember finding some filthy gnome mage afk exping guards in Oggok once. Petitioned, GM showed up, despawned his pet, then we watched as the Bouncer mangled him. Then the GM moved his corpse in the middle of the warrior guild.

GOOD TIMES.

https://i.imgur.com/6ADLV4r.gif

Pokesan
10-30-2015, 06:33 PM
How did GMs handle AFK camping on live? Is this policy classic?

Thiefboy777
10-30-2015, 08:44 PM
I was asking because I suspected it from two players last night and wanted to know before I petitioned, I never saw them move and they werent responding to my tells

Why would you petition someone afk killing a static spawn with a pet for 50% of a low blue or high green? Who cares this much?

Blade
10-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Why would you petition someone afk killing a static spawn with a pet for 50% of a low blue or high green? Who cares this much?

Sounds like dirty afk camper logic.

Petition this guy.

JackFlash
10-30-2015, 09:44 PM
How did GMs handle AFK camping on live? Is this policy classic?

On live, in the beginning, i'm pretty sure they didn't even want you logged in just sitting there. The GM's would log you off. IIRC.

Pokesan
10-30-2015, 10:37 PM
On live, in the beginning, i'm pretty sure they didn't even want you logged in just sitting there. The GM's would log you off. IIRC.

Do you have prof?

JackFlash
10-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Will research

Oleris
10-30-2015, 10:47 PM

got to save bandwidth :D

Swish
10-30-2015, 11:11 PM
In later years, my last attempt at live around 2008...people would afk at a certain spot in the Hole and pet farm. According to global chat the GMs didnt bother trying to stop it anymore...probably due to staffing/casual abandonment of EQ1 for other things.

Uomanrotyr
10-30-2015, 11:49 PM
AFK'ing for long periods on live wasn't against the rules. You wouldn't get booted. Sitting at char select for extended periods would typically cause an auto-boot though, at least early on.

Killing while afk has always been against the rules on live. It still is. It's why those people who would go out of their way to train people afk-merc'ing never get in trouble. It's like a drug dealer reporting a robbery.

Does it happen on live? Yes, but because there are simply no GM's to investigate and deal with these issues.