PDA

View Full Version : Possible Song Competition

quido
11-03-2015, 04:32 AM
I have three nice items that are just rotting on blue. I have no intention of ever coming back to blue and am not really attached to the items now that I can't convert the plat to red, so I was thinking I might try hosting a sort of musical competition and awarding the items as prizes.

Let's brainstorm here. I'm thinking of an EQ-inspired song competition. Anything goes - it doesn't have to be EQ-related - it could simply be a cool little track that would go well with EQ. I think it would be a better competition if we judged the songs and performances on their own merit and didn't weigh too heavily on production value. The submissions would be public so all could listen and I would be the judge. Lyrics aren't required - if this is some Bob Dylan type music you're probably going to lose.

Grand Prize: Prenerf Fungus Staff
Second Prize: Rod of Annihilation
Third Prize: Shield of the Immaculate

I was mulling it over with Glitterati and she doesn't think I would get any submissions - "them nerds aren't gonna do it," she said. I'd like to think a shot at a prenerf staff would bring a few entries, especially if we gave people a month or two to do it, but maybe I'm just biased as a former pixel addict myself. What do you guys think? Would you bust out a little talent for a shot at a prenerf staff? If enough of you express interest, we'll do the darn thing.

Swish
11-03-2015, 08:31 AM
I might try and win it just to piss everyone else off... sounds like a fun thing to do <3

jarlerop
11-03-2015, 02:12 PM
I would easily bust out some guitar/synth moves to try and win this :-) Where do i submit?

Oleris
11-03-2015, 02:19 PM
I'll enter for white scales if you got them :D

Ahtex
11-03-2015, 02:23 PM
If it was Fan Art in a much more general sense you might get more contributions. I could contribute to artwork, but pretty hopeless with music.

Lojik
11-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Will this be the new cof/aon thread?

justin2090
11-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Bigfat

and thanks

o07Smurf
11-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm down. When is the deadline? Where do I submit?

Zampini
11-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Im in. The staff will be mine!

Nocsucow
11-03-2015, 05:16 PM
reported for RMT

quido
11-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Suckoww didn't you just get reprimanded by your guild leader for talking about RMT in another thread? This thread is in Server Chat, no less.

This thread is just for the feelers. When we decide to do the actual thing, I'll make another real thread with all the information.

Tann
11-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I'd dust off my soundforge cd for this, /signed.

Izmael
11-03-2015, 06:58 PM
https://youtu.be/AKDkvy9sKuY
Clear winner.

Aandolaf
11-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I would get in on this as well

Murri
11-03-2015, 07:07 PM
i'd probably submit something

fist3
11-03-2015, 07:11 PM
bust out the old acid dj from the same era as eq lol

Pringles
11-03-2015, 10:13 PM

quido
11-03-2015, 10:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWh1RC9EEis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjUE7-QwjaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UXaQ9_pMdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyfgIM-kY_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3TShUAkO4A

FUNGI STAFF PLEASE.

Another requirement will be that the track isn't already made =P love these tracks tho

Kushie
11-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Filbus would win with everquest raps.

quido
11-03-2015, 11:17 PM
speaking in broken english to a beat is barely music, so probably not

Blade
11-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Suckoww didn't you just get reprimanded by your guild leader for talking about RMT in another thread?

Lol wrecked

Glitterati
11-03-2015, 11:49 PM
anyone who submits a music video dressed like an EQ character gets my vote

quido
11-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Isn't everyone who plays here an irl ogre anyways?

Glitterati
11-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Hell I dunno, I'm into 19 year-old sweeds who play League of Legends. Honestly, barely legal and don't speak english well is the only way I can get off anymore.

quido
11-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Smedy is a twinky Swede.

Muggens
11-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Props on a great thread and idea! Some questions for Jeremey:

Must the music contributions be original compositions(music/lyrics)?
Can people contribute more than one entry?
Are visual components allowed to enhance the entertainment?
Will folksy guitar and rap music be judged unfavorably?

quido
11-04-2015, 07:36 AM
The more I think about it the more I think things should be an "anything goes" policy. The Bob Dylan thing was a joke in reference to someone accusing me of listening to Bob Dylan Type music - something to be ashamed of, apparently. I'd invite people to create their own composition, or cover another song and change the lyrics (or not change the lyrics - whatever), or go full instrumental - whatever floats your boat. Bonus points for strong musicianship, particularly on an instrument, and for the EQ connection. I think allowing multiple submissions would be just fine. Visual elements are just fine but won't gain you any points.

Archalen
11-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Good idea, do it!

contemptor
11-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Good idea, do it!

We could probably put a song together. Needs to be anything goes as long as there is an eq theme

quido
11-05-2015, 10:13 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think this should just be a song competition. It's unfair to necessitate and EQ theme when many people might submit pieces without lyrics. However, it would be very very difficult not to look favorably on anything with an EQ theme.

Think like Pink Floyd's Dogs with Blackburrow Gnolls doing the howling...

Swish
11-05-2015, 10:14 AM
For an EQ competition, I think an EQ theme would be sweet...still hammering out some ideas for mine, yowl gonna be dazzled.

quido
11-05-2015, 10:20 AM
I want to see the best possible songs, not necessarily EQ songs. How is someone supposed to demonstrate an EQ theme in an instrumental piece? I think it's an unfair restriction.

Muggens
11-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Alot of places in EQ is devoid of any music(Kunark comes to mind), if someone made instrumental themes that fit-in along with the original compositions, I'd love to hear it - maybe it's time to re-visit FastTracker2 or something.

This is a cool EQ "music related" video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAWonPuSrA

-TK-
11-05-2015, 03:52 PM
I want to see the best possible songs, not necessarily EQ songs. How is someone supposed to demonstrate an EQ theme in an instrumental piece? I think it's an unfair restriction.

It can be done with a modicum of creativity. There are enough unique melodies in the game that could be sampled and made into something that's recognizable but not a complete vanilla sample. If I had way more time available to me I'd be into submitting something. I have the required equipment, but I don't have time to produce fresh piano/midi, violin, and percussion tracks. I like this idea, though.

Huelath
11-05-2015, 08:31 PM
i will absolutely rek this competition

Greengrocer 2.0
11-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Phil Collins - EC Lover

just change the words so it's about an EC tunnel prostitute

step 2

$$ profit $$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ2Vh_e2dQ

http://i.imgur.com/i6xkwd3.gif

Izmael
11-06-2015, 07:13 AM
I play some guitar and would participate but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to actually making a song - creating the drum track, bass track, mixing it all together, etc.

What would you, guys, who are into it, recommend? I used Fasttracker 2 (and ST3) *way back* and also played abit with Audacity, so I'm not totally clueless.

I'd like to record my voice, play electric and/or acoustic guitar, then compose bass track and drum track on the computer and mix it all together.

Windows or Linux software would be goog.

Thanks.

Izmael
11-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Just to add... Audacity was good to actually mix tracks, BUT, didn't allow me to compose drum or bass tracks (or synth or whatever), so I'm stuck with whatever sounds I can physically produce.

I tried Ardour (Linux DAW) but it appeared that it would take me years to learn this software. Is there anything as simple / quick to get ahold of as Fasttracker 2 back in the days?

Cheers

quido
11-06-2015, 08:10 AM
There are enough unique melodies in the game that could be sampled and made into something that's recognizable but not a complete vanilla sample.

I don't want people to have to do this. I'm ditching the EQ theme. I'm sure it will be looked upon favorably but it's not required - too limiting.

Also considering maybe a panel of pals for judges.

Glitter of course because she's a saint. Definitely gotta get Colgate on the panel since he's usually at a music festival when he's not on EQ. Yulath should be there to make sure the track is hot enough for hell, but he may be entering so I dunno. Should probably get Gongshow and Letsjoe on there for the jam appreciation. Weta should be involved too to bring in another member of the Faygo constituency.

As far as recording goes - when I did a small amount of recording and editing years ago, I used Adobe Audition. I found it to be a mostly intuitive program as a tech savvy beginner and was able to figure out just about everything with google. I pirated it but you could probably use it legit real cheap if it's included in one of those Adobe online subscriptions. I plug my electric guitar into my computer using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum Pro card and front-of-computer hub that includes 1/4 inch jacks. Native Instruments Guitar Rig is great for real time effects and it can be used within Adobe Audition to process effects. Guitar Rig makes me sound WAY better than I am on guitar. I figured out how to record stuff at half speed and speed it up to normal to preserve the pitch which also made me sound way better than I was when I was recording stuff 6-8 years ago. Here's a few examples.

The opening to Megaman 3 Suite I arranged for 2 electric guitars, bass, and drums. I found a utility on the internet that would convert midi files to shitty wav files - I used those for the bass and drums on this clip - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/gay.mp3

On this little Zelda clip you can really hear the benefits of the speed up effect - there was no way I could play that backing part full speed 6 years ago; I maybe could now - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/arps.mp3

Same here for this little Megaman 3 Boss Intro music clip. There's no way I could have played this full speed - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/quick.mp3

Audition is a pretty sweet program. Give it a try if you're looking for something to do this competition.

Big_Japan
11-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I don't want people to have to do this. I'm ditching the EQ theme. I'm sure it will be looked upon favorably but it's not required - too limiting.

Also considering maybe a panel of pals for judges.

Glitter of course because she's a saint. Definitely gotta get Colgate on the panel since he's usually at a music festival when he's not on EQ. Yulath should be there to make sure the track is hot enough for hell, but he may be entering so I dunno. Should probably get Gongshow and Letsjoe on there for the jam appreciation. Weta should be involved too to bring in another member of the Faygo constituency.

As far as recording goes - when I did a small amount of recording and editing years ago, I used Adobe Audition. I found it to be a mostly intuitive program as a tech savvy beginner and was able to figure out just about everything with google. I pirated it but you could probably use it legit real cheap if it's included in one of those Adobe online subscriptions. I plug my electric guitar into my computer using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum Pro card and front-of-computer hub that includes 1/4 inch jacks. Native Instruments Guitar Rig is great for real time effects and it can be used within Adobe Audition to process effects. Guitar Rig makes me sound WAY better than I am on guitar. I figured out how to record stuff at half speed and speed it up to normal to preserve the pitch which also made me sound way better than I was when I was recording stuff 6-8 years ago. Here's a few examples.

The opening to Megaman 3 Suite I arranged for 2 electric guitars, bass, and drums. I found a utility on the internet that would convert midi files to shitty wav files - I used those for the bass and drums on this clip - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/gay.mp3

On this little Zelda clip you can really hear the benefits of the speed up effect - there was no way I could play that backing part full speed 6 years ago; I maybe could now - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/arps.mp3

Same here for this little Megaman 3 Boss Intro music clip. There's no way I could have played this full speed - http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/quick.mp3

Audition is a pretty sweet program. Give it a try if you're looking for something to do this competition.

lol this nerd str8 unemployed fam

quido
11-06-2015, 08:25 AM
wat

Swish
11-06-2015, 08:33 AM
I got a little something lined up, just need to somehow find my best shower/in the car/kareoke singing voice and try not to kill too many people with the vocals kek

quido
11-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I really hope a red player wins.

Swish
11-06-2015, 08:44 AM

someone needs to bring Naez out of retirement, and I hope Smedy makes an entry <3

Gaunja
11-06-2015, 01:19 PM
http://picosong.com/6DTF/

Here you go. Enjoy

Engaging, ready check twice
Loot drops, gonna roll them dice
You see me double, now i'm hitting ya thrice
Doing this nerdy should suffice

Got the taunt on lock, steady like a rock
Warrior tanking like a boss, might proc a shock
Not to resurrect these fools, though we got the tools
Don't look distraught, we're representing Innoruuk

Macro streams that seem never ending like
Bending the rules it seems
Nah mother fucker, you know we keeping it clean
Check out my middle finger while my platinum wedding ring gleams

Bling bling, my shiny little rock
Wearing no drops, even letting shit rot
I wanna say it's kinda sad but then I don't give a fuck
It's just a bunch of coded pixelated fluff!

Gaunja
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM

I win! =p

-TK-
11-06-2015, 02:30 PM
I don't want people to have to do this [Adhere to EQ theme]. I'm ditching the EQ theme. I'm sure it will be looked upon favorably but it's not required - too limiting.

I think it would be a better competition if we judged the songs and performances on their own merit and didn't weigh too heavily on production value.

If you're eliminating the theme, I would better articulate the criterion on which the pieces will be judged. Will the panel just literally be picking the one they like the most arbitrarily? It's difficult to judge someone's hip-hop/pop song against something like an instrumental especially when the content of the piece can vary from sex and drug inspired hard rock to a love ballad for Firiona Vie. Just food for thought.

Knowing the most outspoken 'artists' of the community, there is bound to be lots of hip-hop and rap songs coming out of this. While those have proved entertaining over the years, hopefully some of the less outspoken members of the community will come out of the woodwork with something original.

JackFlash
11-06-2015, 02:52 PM
I think I'll make something for this! When does it have to be submitted? Could take a little bit.....

Gaunja
11-06-2015, 04:23 PM
P.S. If anyone wanted to collaborate on something i'd be very happy to do some duo shit. Thanks!

caldiar
11-06-2015, 05:52 PM
EverQuest-related should be a requirement, imo. This is a reasonable restriction even for instrumentals; for instrumental entries, perhaps the goal would be "create a song that would fit as an EQ zone background music" or "create a replacement for an existing EQ song". The judging would be on how well the entry is suited to the zone the track is meant to be played in.

Swish
11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
If you're eliminating the theme, I would better articulate the criterion on which the pieces will be judged. Will the panel just literally be picking the one they like the most arbitrarily? It's difficult to judge someone's hip-hop/pop song against something like an instrumental especially when the content of the piece can vary from sex and drug inspired hard rock to a love ballad for Firiona Vie. Just food for thought.

Knowing the most outspoken 'artists' of the community, there is bound to be lots of hip-hop and rap songs coming out of this. While those have proved entertaining over the years, hopefully some of the less outspoken members of the community will come out of the woodwork with something original.

I think what's required here is for everyone who is planning an entry to get together with Jeremy and the judges for a god damn 12 hour Skype conference call to adjust all of these concerns. Following the discussion a vote should be made (if an even number of voters and its a tie it should be down to Jeremy to give the casting vote). Have someone take the minutes of the conference to be referred to in the event of any loopholes or other grey areas. Following the decision the proposition should then be put to the community in the form of a poll to make sure everyone is in agreement that the rules made are fair and just. If the community vetos the proposed ruleset another Skype call should be convened this time with Sirken, Rogean, Nilbog, Haynar and anyone else available to formally set some rules they feel are appropriate for the said song competiton. Upon which time that is done we will formally have the framework set and can go about submitting entries in an orderly fashion. Entrants might want to consider submitting a cover sheet with their entry detailing which programs they used, how long it took and what they felt went well or went badly for the community to view publicly. Also to be considered is the judges and the entrants relationships to them, and a further set of rules should be made to ensure that the competition is just and fair which should be overseen by a select committee of.....

Jesus fucking christ, whats this blue obsession with suggesting rules and what should be allowed? Its going to be fun to see what people come up with, I'm looking forward to it.

Gaunja
11-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Good call Swish.

-TK-
11-06-2015, 08:52 PM
I think what's required here is for everyone who is planning an entry to get together with Jeremy and the judges for a god damn 12 hour Skype conference call to adjust all of these concerns. Following the discussion a vote should be made (if an even number of voters and its a tie it should be down to Jeremy to give the casting vote). Have someone take the minutes of the conference to be referred to in the event of any loopholes or other grey areas. Following the decision the proposition should then be put to the community in the form of a poll to make sure everyone is in agreement that the rules made are fair and just. If the community vetos the proposed ruleset another Skype call should be convened this time with Sirken, Rogean, Nilbog, Haynar and anyone else available to formally set some rules they feel are appropriate for the said song competiton. Upon which time that is done we will formally have the framework set and can go about submitting entries in an orderly fashion. Entrants might want to consider submitting a cover sheet with their entry detailing which programs they used, how long it took and what they felt went well or went badly for the community to view publicly. Also to be considered is the judges and the entrants relationships to them, and a further set of rules should be made to ensure that the competition is just and fair which should be overseen by a select committee of.....

Jesus fucking christ, whats this blue obsession with suggesting rules and what should be allowed? Its going to be fun to see what people come up with, I'm looking forward to it.

Wow, a little too eager to jump on that one, Swish. Relax. It was merely a long winded approach to asking how the competitiom will be judged with an example of why I asked. You're getting a little touchy as of late.

Swish
11-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I just think these things can be kept simple for the sake of enjoyment :p

Easy to compare the post with posts about players wanting written clarification on the "rules" of every different mob spawn in Norrath...the love of rules upon rules is one reason I'd find it hard to come back to blue. Didn't mean any offence - are you planning an entry?

captnamazing
11-06-2015, 09:08 PM
This is super fucking cool. I would totally go for it

-TK-
11-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Sorry, I just think these things can be kept simple for the sake of enjoyment :p

Easy to compare the post with posts about players wanting written clarification on the "rules" of every different mob spawn in Norrath...the love of rules upon rules is one reason I'd find it hard to come back to blue. Didn't mean any offence - are you planning an entry?

It's all good. I am hoping for a wide variety of different entries as well. I think these contests can bring out some great aspects of the community that the forums don't always convey. While I would love to create a piece for the contest, I doubt I will be submitting an entry as my time over the next couple months barely allows for anyting more than an occasional visit to the forums.

Gaunja
11-06-2015, 09:17 PM
I feel like i'm the only one with an entry so far?

-TK-
11-06-2015, 09:20 PM

First line of Jeremy's second paragraph in OP said this was 'brainstorm' and another 'official' thread would be made for the contest.

caldiar
Well, the competition hasn't even started yet so, technically, nobody has an entry.

Gaunja
Oh I fail at reading. Derpaderp

JackFlash
11-07-2015, 02:12 AM
We trying to make something real.......or are we making MS paint music?

Tann
11-07-2015, 02:32 AM
l.......or are we making MS paint music?

I did mention using SoundForge, just you wait a bit on that MS paint music

Pringles
11-07-2015, 03:11 AM
Pringles

Clever
11-07-2015, 04:31 AM
I'd say make it as open as possible to allow the widest range of talent to submit their work for the competition. The only real restrictions needed are that the music be defensibly EQ-related (lyrics should about EQ, instrumental themes should be EQ related or be clear "variations on" existing EQ themes, or synth scores noted to specify which zone they're meant to accommodate), and that it be started after the competition begin date.

You're putting up one of the rarest and slickest artifacts the game has ever seen. Let one us blow you out of the water with something you never expected, with or without lyrics.

quido
11-07-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm ditching the EQ theme requirement 100% - it's too restrictive.

Whirled
11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
I have three nice items that are just rotting on blue. I have no intention of ever coming back to blue and am not really attached to the items now that I can't convert the plat to red, so I was thinking I might try hosting a sort of musical competition and awarding the items as prizes.

Let's brainstorm here. I'm thinking of an EQ-inspired song competition. Anything goes - it doesn't have to be EQ-related - it could simply be a cool little track that would go well with EQ. I think it would be a better competition if we judged the songs and performances on their own merit and didn't weigh too heavily on production value. The submissions would be public so all could listen and I would be the judge. Lyrics aren't required - if this is some Bob Dylan type music you're probably going to lose.

Grand Prize: Prenerf Fungus Staff
Second Prize: Rod of Annihilation
Third Prize: Shield of the Immaculate

I was mulling it over with Glitterati and she doesn't think I would get any submissions - "them nerds aren't gonna do it," she said. I'd like to think a shot at a prenerf staff would bring a few entries, especially if we gave people a month or two to do it, but maybe I'm just biased as a former pixel addict myself. What do you guys think? Would you bust out a little talent for a shot at a prenerf staff? If enough of you express interest, we'll do the darn thing.

I'm ditching the EQ theme requirement 100% - it's too restrictive.

So, you're looking for tracks of music+/or lyrics and in return u hand over game related items? That too rmt'ish for me.
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/012013/1359403838_barrier_gate_beats_car.webm

Swish
11-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Get that filthy .webm link out here, the gifs run this place - no exceptions.

Whirled
11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
That was my attempt at a pvp type gif.

captnamazing
11-11-2015, 04:11 PM
i'm slaving away for this competition

clouddynasty
11-11-2015, 04:39 PM
I was considering it but after reading through the thread I don't think a Lisztian style piano arrangement/performance of some of Jay Barbeau's compositions would do well compared to a contribution featuring comical, 'entertaining' lyrics or rap.

Glitterati
11-11-2015, 08:43 PM
You'd be suprised. Classical gets Jeremy's dick hard.

Izmael
11-12-2015, 07:09 AM
I will definitely participate and it will be either classical or 70s rock style.

Darksinga
11-12-2015, 07:32 AM
When's deadline? :)

quido
11-12-2015, 07:36 AM
new thread coming soon

Izmael
11-12-2015, 01:12 PM
If I may suggest leaving a LOT of time to people to submit their entries. This would help preventing "knee-jerk" low quality submissions, and instead let people get used to the idea they are composing something, look for ideas for a while, have them ferment in their heads for a bit, let the final decisions mature a little...

I think this could allow for significantly better average quality of final submissions than if deadline was tight.

And it's not like people are going to lose interest or forget about the contest if it takes too long to complete - there's a a prenerf fungi staff at stake and nobody is forgetting that. :)

Swish
11-12-2015, 01:14 PM
I might have to hire a singer for mine, I'm just not going to cut it with my singing voice :p

Izmael
11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Yeah actually I was thinking about it, are we allowed to submit something we composed/wrote but had to ask someone else to perform it because not necessarily have the proper skills to perform it ourselves?

someidiot
11-12-2015, 01:34 PM
A song about the rise and fall of GG. Too bad I cant play an instrument.

JackFlash
11-12-2015, 02:18 PM
If I may suggest leaving a LOT of time to people to submit their entries. This would help preventing "knee-jerk" low quality submissions, and instead let people get used to the idea they are composing something, look for ideas for a while, have them ferment in their heads for a bit, let the final decisions mature a little...

I think this could allow for significantly better average quality of final submissions than if deadline was tight.

And it's not like people are going to lose interest or forget about the contest if it takes too long to complete - there's a a prenerf fungi staff at stake and nobody is forgetting that. :)