PDA

View Full Version : i need help! im a poor man trying to cook beans in a slow cooker! i need some help!

Dr. Steve Brule
11-04-2015, 10:11 AM
/OOC

Yes, there are dozens of recipes on google on how to make beans in a slow cooker. So i've already soaked the beans overnight, and rinsed them. im ready to throw them in, with some bacon... but most of the recipes tell you to cook the bacon first. well what if i just add sliced up RAW bacon into the mix when i start cooking the beans in the slow cooker? has anyone ever done this before? i dont wanna ruin anything! who has experience in this department?

HELP!

Bruno
11-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Are these new Velious recipes?

maestrom
11-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Adding uncooked bacon to beans works fine; it's actually my preferred method. I would recommend using thick cut bacon that you can cut into small chunks. Most of the bacon will disintegrate into your beans (this is what makes them good) if you cook it long enough, and if you pre-cook the bacon you're going to end up removing a great deal of the fat.

What recipe are you using?

Dr. Steve Brule
11-04-2015, 10:45 AM
just a improvised home-made recipe. i started with a bag of pinto beans that i let soak overnight, the next morning i drained them, added them to the crockpot with a 1 sliced up onion, a clove of garlic, 1 tbsp of Salt and a slightly cooked (stovetop) package of cut up bacon. after all that i added water to fill to the top of the lid. am i doing it fine?

Should i cook them on low or high? does it taste the same either way?

maestrom
11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
I would throw some molasses, mustard, or, if you're a cheater like me, some BBQ sauce in there for some extra sweetness/tang, but that looks fine.

High or Low should not matter in the long run with beans. High or Low does not affect the cooking temperature of the slow-cooker (a slow simmer). High or Low only affects the time it takes to get up to that temperature.

I've cooked tons of stuff in my slow cooker over the years and I haven't noticed a difference in texture or doneness in anything cooked in either temperature. If you have tons of time, low is fine. If you wanna get into them sooner, high might be better.

gildor
11-04-2015, 11:27 AM
poor man buys bacon ends n pieces for his beans, and just throws that shit raw into the pot

A little brown sugar, celery salt, cayenne and you are good to GO

Swish
11-04-2015, 11:28 AM
How well cooked do you like your bacon? If the answer is "burnt to a crisp"... cook it and add in afterwards to preserve that flavor.

Also:-

https://36.media.tumblr.com/11081602149f44aeac1c182c2871f508/tumblr_n8c76iLE4k1t0pqcko1_500.jpg

Llodd
11-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Cooking the bacon off first allows it to caramelize, leading to a deeper flavour.

Swish
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Cooking the bacon off first allows it to caramelize, leading to a deeper flavour.

wow, what a great idea

JackFlash
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
wow, what a great idea

lol science/cooking.

Era'viss
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
When using any kind of fatty meat it is crucial that the fat is rendered properly. This is what makes the fat melt in your mouth, not chewy, tough, and disgusting. Visually you are generally looking for the color of the fat to change. My rule of thumb is rendered = yellow/translucent and unrendered = white/opaque. You do this by cooking the fat long enough at a low temperature so the fat can change. Outside of bacon, not rendering fat is how you royally fuck up a great steak.

The best advise I can offer is to just render your bacon first. For instructions on this see this website (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-render-bacon-fat.html). Then use the bacon drippings as seasoning in your beans, not that actual chunks of bacon. Store your bacon bits to use as a topping for the beans once they're done. This is my preference because I like the texture/crispness of cooked bacon to be preserved as best as possible. The once your beans are ready, do not re-heat the bacon before adding them your beans, let the heat from the beans do that, otherwise you'll risk burning your precious little chunks.

Sorry this is in a totally different direction that you went this time, but I'm very particular about bacon.

Swish
11-04-2015, 12:56 PM
yowl read those articles online about bacon being a cause of cancer? lol

Era'viss
11-04-2015, 01:15 PM
yowl read those articles online about bacon being a cause of cancer? lol

Last I read about this, it has to do with burnt bacon or additives to the bacon. It also can be a problem from someone's diet not allowing timely plop plops, so not specific to bacon.

maestrom
11-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Last I read about this, it has to do with burnt bacon or additives to the bacon. It also can be a problem from someone's diet not allowing timely plop plops, so not specific to bacon.

Statistical analysis in the medical field can be super important as it guides doctors' efforts in identifying potential problems in our diet/environment, but i find them rather unsatisfying. Precisely because they don't identify WHY bacon is correlated with cancer and whether the causal relationship (if any) can be avoided.

That said, I read a study that said nitrites/nitrates cause cancer so I buy my stuff uncured now. Not sure if it actually makes a difference but it kinda makes me feel better.

Kinda.

To bring this back to Everquest... Velious faction.. Woo. Pain in the butt. Gotta get to Kindly to do Thurgadin armor turn ins right?

Monty405
11-04-2015, 01:58 PM
yowl read those articles online about Red 99 being a cause of cancer? lol

Era'viss
11-04-2015, 02:18 PM
That said, I read a study that said nitrites/nitrates cause cancer so I buy my stuff uncured now. Not sure if it actually makes a difference but it kinda makes me feel better.

Salt cured is the way to go. Let me introduce you to my favorite deli meat, Boar's Head (http://boarshead.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8GOg6B9O3 qeAt-hi8cPHgw4fbpJ2cwM61TeeeWV0kfwhoCKhfw_wcB).

ManuelThePopStar
11-04-2015, 02:21 PM

This is a MUST DO first step, when cooking something in a slow cooker (IMO)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

I cook a potroast in my slow cooker about once a month. Caramelizing the onions in a sautee pan over medium heat step #1.

Step #2, is searing the chuck roast on very high heat, for about 2 minutes on all sides before adding it to the crock pot.

Last step is pouring some chicken stock into the sautee pan used for the onions/chuck to deglaze the pan, then adding that to the crock pot.

Monty405
11-04-2015, 03:17 PM
How do you have time to cook anything that is not a pizza pocket when your busy chasing pixels?

Swish
11-04-2015, 03:47 PM
a lot of young chefs in this thread

Tethler
11-04-2015, 06:37 PM
How do you have time to cook anything that is not a pizza pocket when your busy chasing pixels?

That's the purpose of a crock pot. You can throw the shit in there in the morning, then eat when it's done 8~ hours later. I use my crock pot at least once a week for a variety of recipes due to busy schedule.

captnamazing
11-04-2015, 10:12 PM
throw in an oz of purple buddha double kush and ur good 2 go

Era'viss
11-04-2015, 11:15 PM

You sound like a great cook. Can I come over for dinner? :D

ManuelThePopStar
11-04-2015, 11:21 PM

Yea.....I've done this with a potroast before. Lots of fat to bond with the THC

Crockpots are basically the PERFECT cooking temperature for cannabis

Galvatar
11-05-2015, 12:44 AM
You should look into getting some yeast and flour to make bread to go along with that.

I can assist you, PM me if you are game.