PDA

View Full Version : Am I mis-remebering?

Torqumada286
11-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Been playing for a few days now, following a similar path that my monk did 11 years ago. As is usual for me, I'm leveling slowly, but not too worried about it. I've got more money now compred to then since I am ignoring the monk weight restrictions. :D I'm currently at 8th level, running around Blackburrow and there is something that I have noticed that doesn't quite jive with my memories of the place: When I played years ago, it was still relatively early in the game's life (September 99) so the place was always packed, both with PCs and with NPCs. I remember huge trains with a dozen or more PCs fighting for their lives at the bridge. Now, it seems, the relatively few PCs are having to fight for spawns. Are the spawn rates lower than I remember or is it just my perception? Is it possible that SOE dropped the spawn rates later in the game due to smaller populations in the zone and that's what we are seeing now?

Torqumada

Chanus
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
It's just there aren't 40 people in the zone.

Torqumada286
11-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Even when there were 40 people in the zone, we all seemed to have plenty to do. Now it seems there isn't enough to do. Again, is this my perception of the way things were years ago or are the spawn rates lower now than they were years ago? Or are these the original spawn rates when the game went live in early 99 and they were increased to deal with the number of players by the time I started playing in late 99?

Torqumada

Seaweedpimp
11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Because if im on my lvl 10 mage ksing you like back on live, i'd get banned faaaasttt.

Taluvill
11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
People hold MUCH larger camps here than they did on live.

Rahnza
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
People know what they're doing here now. Back in the day those 40 people were barely killing shit and just goofing off / exploring / trying not to die. On P99 dudes are just plowing mobs to get to 50 asap.

Randy
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I catch myself thinking the same thing from time to time, its just perception. I think you just don't remember the downtime as much cause it was just fun to talk with others or whatever, when you had to wait for your camp to spawn a mob

Valroth66
11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I miss the old BB trains and camping the skeletons at pyzjin's ruins on my human warrior back in november 99.

Honestly everyone here avoids everything beyond west karana, unless vox pops.

hueylewis187
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Nope on Live the BB respawn was 18minutes.

found this same info on a few sites:

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2850

12. The Elusive Brewer - Just as you get below to the safe area you will see a large bridge. If you step on that bridge and stop you will see a large rock to your right close to the water. Right by that rock the Master Brewer Spawns, his place held by a guardsman or a regular brewer. This is the kill that provides the elusive BB cask, an item used in a ranger quest, and of course the burning rapier quest. SOMETHING spawns on the rock every 18 mins. Quite often it's a guardsman. From all I've been able to determine its completely random what spawns. I have found no pattern that can be verified.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2742

The respawn seems to be between 18-20 min. I had a timer going each time and it change some here and tehre, which i thought was odd.. but the eyes dont lie."

On P1999 most dungeon zones are 23minutes besides lowerguk. "28"

It is Because no one has given any evidence that the spawn times should be different than what they are now.

But yes I remember BB was a faster respawn also, because it was 5 minutes faster.

Hope this helps : )

Kyronix
11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
One thing to take into conctsideration is that the level's of gaming have come a LONG way.

Everquest was revolutionary and new and 1 of a kind that no one had seen. We've all played EQ and know a lot about it, we've also all played MANY other games and know how to be much more efficient and there is much more of an endgame focus than there used to be.

I had a friend when I started that was a 44 druid. By the time I hit 40 he was 46. Now mind you I wasn't leveling fast at all, but he spent a lot of time porting, selling, and socially interacting with everyone else on the server. This game has many aspects, a lot of which are not emphasized on P99 even though we all are seeking that nostalgiac feeling.

I LOVED logging in on my SK (which of my many low level characters ended up being my main) in the Overthere and throwing out an OOC saying Hello to everyone in zone. Because everyone was in that zone for quite a long time leveling from 30 to 40 (or was it 20 to 30). You weren't planning out your route trying to make the fastest possible path to max level, you were enjoying the experience because all of it had a place and all of it mattered.

I think it was just a different time that CANNOT be recreated to an extent. I still stand by that Everquest was one of the best games ever made and I would love to see it continue on in its classic state with possibly more user made content added on, but there are certain traits (namely, us all being fresh newbies) that will never be recreated no matter how hard you try.

Torqumada286
11-22-2010, 12:28 AM
With the exception of WoW, I have never been efficient at leveling. It took me 5 years to get a character to 60th level in EQ. :p

Torqumada

RKromwell
11-22-2010, 04:05 AM
Hell, highest I ever got was 57 and I played for close to six years.

Lagaidh
11-22-2010, 08:27 AM
This brings up a subject that keeps slapping me in my consciousness every time I log in. Why in the hell would you take the extra effort to find a classic server, go through a "user assisted" install of an old client, tweak and fudge until it works... and then log in and try to blow through all the content until you max?

Why?

Why more folks aren't enjoying the walk all the way to 50 I just don't understand.

I started here in August I believe, my wife a week or two later. We are just about L27 (PAL/DRU). I've got friends that hopped onto the server a month later at L40. Granted I've got a 40% XP penalty, but still... Of course, my wife and I are probably some of the better geared folks for our level. Oh how I loved, and do love trading in EC. I always said the best loot drops in EC, hehe.

Hell I smiled when I saw the penalty was in place.

Why come here and powergame? I just don't get it.

I maxed out in live with OoW, reached 70. When the expansion came out that raised the cap to 75 I was basically through. I popped on a couple more times and dinged 71, but by that time, EQ felt like another game. I was L39 when Kunark came out, and I think L56 when Velious came out.

ukaking
11-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Good post Lagaidh! My wife and I are lvl 24 cleric and bard, Bigred and Armandoe, look us up! Sounds like we have very similar opinions on what we think the classic experience should be.
I have never understood the power game regardless. Maybe it's because I am successful in my RL that I don't need the ego boost online? I don't have a need to be the best at anything on EQ. I enjoy that people get to know that when they group with my wife and I that we are going to play our characters well and have good conversation in the process. Soon, I will enjoy once again being known as a good and fair guild leader of a very unique guild on P99 when The Harbingers of Thule return with the opening of Kunark.
Here are a few things to consider...How many of your best memories of EQ were about raids and some loot you got from them? For me, the raids are a blur with almost no distinct great memories. Now, how many of your memories of EQ were having good groups to play and chat with while casually leveling? How about having good guildmates to log in and just chat with while winding down from a rough day in RL? Or some random guild event that had nothing to do with loot and everything to do with friends and unity?

I tell ya, my best memories were having PvP tournaments and battle royals in the arena in Cabilis (I was in an all iksar guild), RP Raiding Oasis and killing anything that wasn't iksar (RZ, PvP server), playing some silly hide and seek type stuff in the City or having newbies try to run a burynai (furbie) from the pit to the guards without dying, for a prize.

Its the little things that people remember. Just the other night, the wife and I had a few deaths in Sol A and it was really pissing me off as a vet. Then I look over at her, playing her cleric and see her do everything she can to save everyone but herself in the group. She died and everyone else lived (other than me as the first who went down). She is happy?! Because she isnt TAINTED by the end game. She is a true noobie to EQ and she sees the magic for what it is. Something we should all try to think about and remember. The magic is only lost because you allow it to be. Don't fly passed it and don't forget about it.

Dr4z3r
11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
This brings up a subject that keeps slapping me in my consciousness every time I log in. Why in the hell would you take the extra effort to find a classic server, go through a "user assisted" install of an old client, tweak and fudge until it works... and then log in and try to blow through all the content until you max?

Why?

Why more folks aren't enjoying the walk all the way to 50 I just don't understand.

Translation: Why doesn't everyone enjoy this game exactly the same way that I enjoy this game?

There are tons of reasons people play P99. Some people want to relive classic leveling, some want to relive classic EC tunnel, some people want to relive classic raiding. Some people want to raid in classic now, because they never had a chance to when it was live.

For everyone that can't understand why someone would want to blow through 1-50, there is someone else who can't understand why anyone would want to do something besides raiding.

It's not at all hard to understand.

Torqumada286
11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I have to agree that I don't understand the need to rush to the highest level you can in any MMO. Many of those people then complain that there is nothing for them to do.:confused: I can understand that there are people who play that way and their style of play doesn't affect mine. As long as it doesn't interfere with my fun, let them play as they wish. I like to explore. I like going to places that people say that I shouldn't be able to go to and looking around. If there was a place in the old game that wasn't hard coded for a particular level or needed some sort of port to get to, I went there and explored in detail. I also tried out other things, like jumping off of wizard towers to max out Safe Fall, or swimming from North Ro to Velious and back...twice.

Ha! I was right about the spawns in BB being slower than I remembered! What does that say about me that I noticed that? :eek:

Torqumada

Timzilla
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
On live the respawn timer in BB was closer to 7 minutes than the 18 it is here. Between the long timer and the ever-present high level power leveling douches, BB is nearly useless for real gamers.

Badmartigan
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I enjoy higher level encounters..

I have played so much EQ that the lower - mid level content is super easy mode for me.... therefore i want to get to the higher levels(35+) as fast as possible.

I enjoy that more.. and If you guys like the lower level stuff and quests thats understandable.. but don't judge me because i seek more of a challenge than or scalp quests... etc...