PDA

View Full Version : I want to play warrior but it's overwhelming, need advice

theguyy
11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
So I wanted to make a useful group toon and maybe raid in the future so I made a Ogre warrior. I enjoy melee and such but this seems like an impossible task without some healer friend in the same room as me.

The amount of deaths and binds you have to ask for, no invis, shrink, gear dependency seems overwhelming. This is my only toon and I don't really want to play anything else but it seems like too much of a hassle to even be fun. I tried making a throw away necro just to solo grind gear and such but the boredom of an OP solo class made me wanna off myself.

How do you evil warriors survive on off hours of p99, or in general? I realize I'm supposed to group but I can't even run to my groups without multiple deaths half the time.

Need help

Ravhin
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
If you have a sow and are careful I can't see how one would die running anywhere, ever, except maybe across fear or hate. If you don't have sow buy a sow potion?

Dr4z3r
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
What level range are you in right now?

Dantes
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Dantes was my first toon here, made it to 39 so far as an evil Warrior. It's been challenging, but that's part of the reason why I chose this combination, that and it's unique. I don't even benefit from Ogre and Troll perks, but I am still KOS everywhere.

You pretty much have to give up the idea of soloing and always find a group. Figure out where the most people are around your level and go there to LFG, don't sit in EC with the LFG tag on. Be patient and /shout or /ooc for a group while you have /lfg on as well. Most groups will take a tank replacement who's already in the zone over somebody who has to get a port or walk across several zones to get there. They want to keep exp rolling. If it's off hours and nobody is there, start your own group. Send tells, YOU are one of the vital pieces of the group. Add a healer and you are set. The rest is just filler. You don't NEED CC at lower levels, but it can be nice. Most people who are LFG, if told "we have a tank and a healer and we're starting a group in XYZ..." will want to come join.

Join a guild. You'll need the support. People to port you, hook you up with SOW, etc. Otherwise just beg it off other people. It's no secret that if a Warrior is your main and you are not a twink, you are broke. People know it, they will usually help you. Being KOS was a real eye-opener for me, having played a Wood Elf during live. I couldn't get to half of Antonica without going all the way down and around through Rathe Mountains. High Pass = KOS. Rivervale = KOS. I actually joined groups in HHK while I was KOS to guards. If the group had a bad pull and had to run to guards, I had to either just die or try to make it to the zone. And those goblins don't give high pass faction, go figure! I had to have a druid wolf form me so I could turn in goblin ears. Ended up being dubious in Rivervale and HHK after that.

But look at the bright side. Hunting in Guk? Bind in Grobb. Solusek? Bind in Neriak. The only dungeon that was really a challenge for me to get to was Unrest, because I had to stock up on food before going to Faydwer. I had to jump the boat before the dock and swim around the edge. I had to be careful not to pass any guards on the way there. But I got a bind in Gfay and once I was set over there things worked out. The most popular dungeons at higher levels are actually near evil cities. Faydwer will always suck for you, but the higher level you get the more you'll just get picked up by porters anyway. It becomes a non-issue, just make sure you have what you need from the bank + food before going. Lguk > Mistmoore anyway.

theguyy
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm at the level 10 range, I can't buy anything cuz this is my only toon. I'm using a fine steel 2 hander and all my armor slots are empty lol.

I'm asking for advice on a warrior account that hasn't used some other toon to fully gear the warrior. I have like 5 plat and I can't see how you 50 warriors do it without being tweaked or having ALOT of help. Even when I have SoW some madman/ghoul/caster eventually will aggro+root kill.

guineapig
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
As an ogre start out agnostic and get to the commons as soon as you possibly can.

Bind outside of Neriak
Then basically level at nothing but the orc camps. As an agnostic it shouldn't take you too many levels in order to be dubious in Freeport. Keep an eye out for Deathfist slashed belts but be careful of the ratio at which you turn them in to (evil version and good version). At some point you could technically be doing both if you kill enough orcs.

Alternative methods include scalps and goblin ears in Highpass and Highhold Keep. Both of those quests net + faction hits with no negative hits.

By getting in good at Freeport and being agnostic you can basically play an ogre like any neutral race as long as you don't try to venture to the other Continents... and let's face it there is really no reason to have to venture to other continents if you don't want to.

This doesn't answer all your questions I know, but at the very least you can not have to worry about being an evil race.

theguyy
11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the advice but being an evil race is only a tiny fraction of my concern. The main concern is just being a warrior with no other toons/plat or resources. Relying on people can only go so far especially on off hours and I can't always have someone port/invis me past guards and crap.

That's a good idea being neutral but I need advice about how to not quit p99 as a warrior. How to afford getting gear with no other toons and so on. How to minimize running across half of norrath on so many corpse runs only to enter a dungeon you can't invis past. Not like I can afford invis potions let alone Sow ones. Do people without a friend account or high level farm toon just not make warriors?

Estu
11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
You can farm up some plat pretty easily. Kill decaying skeletons in North Ro and sell bone chips for 5-10pp per stack. Kill bears and sell high quality bear pelts for 10pp each. Hunt spiderlings and sell their silks. Once you get 100-125pp you can buy a polished granite tomahawk, an excellent newbie aggro weapon. This should be more or less your first priority, as you won't really be able to hold aggro otherwise, and there's no use getting damage mitigation (armor) if you can't hold aggro in the first place. After that, get a suit of banded or bronze - they sell for about 1pp/ac.

Always group, as others have said. Dying shouldn't be an issue if you're trying to get from place to place and are careful and know the zone. If you don't know the zone, you might run into mobs around tight corners sometimes and get owned - this is part of learning to play EverQuest. Get SoWs and invisibilities off people for travel. EC is an excellent place to level as a lowbie since there are people who can buff you up - you can solo effectively if you have regeneration and a damage shield. After that, hit up some dungeons - Befallen first, then Guk. Both have places you can bind nearby (Freeport, Grobb).

Starting an evil warrior from scratch is probably the hardest possible thing to do as a newbie in EverQuest, but it's certainly doable. If it's too much of a hassle, play another class, earn some money, and twink out your warrior later. This will make you more desirable to groups, though it won't really help you get from place to place without dying, except that you'll be able to pay for ports (but people are generally happy to port newbies for free).

Dr4z3r
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
all my armor slots are empty

Like... not even cloth? You should be able to fill up your slots pretty quickly killing things like Orc Pawns and Decaying Skellies, and every bit helps!

odizzido
11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
You could always play your warrior and a solo class. Try to group with war, if not solo with your druid or whatever and keep LFG with war. Always worked for me.

guineapig
11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Once you are able to get in to SolA, Highkeep basement and places like that. You can easily get 100pp per grouping session 9well if you stay long enough) but looting all the fine steel and bronze weapons that the people you are grouping with won't be able to carry due to weight restrictions.

Anything that isn't fine steel don't loot unless it's stackable, pages, runes, words... and of course gems).

Your not going to have Yaks or a granite bracer for a long time so don't even think about stuff like that. Start with stun whips and work your way up to an Obsidian Shard.

But by all means spend as much time in Dungeons as possibly, not because you level faster, but simply because the value of the drops are that much more. As a new player with a warrior main you have no choice but to be a bit greedy. Veteran players will understand if you tell them your situation. Just be honest.

feste
11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
its all about north ro / freeport zoneline decaying skeleton killing spree and sell stacks of bone chips. three backpacks full and you got yourself a polished granite tomahawk. 2 more and you got full bronze. get a bind in the west freeport newbie yard and kill orc in ec and wc or dervs in nro tilll you wanna head off to unrest or upper guk or oasis

Dantes
11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
After you outgrow the bone chip thing, head to uguk. Lots of high plat loot there. Most of the woven sells for a few plat each + the gems. Large bronze can be had for dirt cheap, and there's so much bronze around people are practically giving it away (they actually are, I had a full set by level 6). 1pp/AC is actually laughable, I have a bank full of bronze I can't get rid of... Unfortunately none of it's large, otherwise I'd offer it up.

theguyy
11-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Is there some cheap way to get shrink cuz most these dungeon suggestions I can't ever walk in hehe.

theguyy
11-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Another question, because I'm an Ogre my dex is horrible for tanking aggro proc weapons. What dex should I shoot for to get enough procs without sacrificing too much health/ac? Right now my dex is 70. Also does the game recognize offhand delay, someone told me the game only checks your dual wield skill for whether you get an offhand attack making offhand delay inconsequential.

Tokum-6n0m3
11-25-2010, 03:39 AM
As far as offhand delay goes, I know on live (RIGHT NOW) Offhand delay + DW skill affects offhand weapons.

During Classic offhand delay was based off a ratio of main hand delay and DW skill (this is why items like Moss Covered Twig in main hand with a wurmslayer in offhand were so OP during kunark) What this means is that every time your MAIN HAND swings you have a chance based off your DW skill to swing with your offhand Back during this time I cared alot more and did the testing/research to confirm this.

If offhand was based SOLEY like you had been told off of DW skill the moss covered twig would be a crap item and wasted main hand dps pre-nerf......tho the wurm slayer would still be nice if based off nothing but DW.

All this said, I am unsure of how it works on p99 as I have not parsed it or heard it said by a staff member how it works.....But if it is like it was in classic my italic section "should" be the way it works here....tho there are plenty of opinions out there of how it worked back then and how it works on p99 now, and very few ppl that actually take/took the time to test it themselves, the only way to know for sure is to hear it from a staff member or do the testing yourself

To test just make sure to use the same offhand weapon, get a fast delayed main hand and go out and kill 50 (50 is just a example, the accuracy of testing improves the more mobs you kill, but I'd do no less then 50) mobs of the same type and lvl ,parse how many times your offhand SWUNG(this is ALOT easier to see if you use 2 different weapon types)

Then take a slow delayed main hand and do the same test on the exact same mobs, parse how many times your offhand swung.(note you count how many times your offhand swung not just how many times it connected and did dmg)

If it is based off nothing but DW or Offhand delay the numbers should come out "roughly" the same, if its based in any way off main hand delay they should differ, biggest thing is to make sure you separate the differential in delays on main hand weapons as much as possible to give the best chances of seeing the difference.

a 5/21 main hand and a 6/24 are not gonna give you wide enough separation, try a 5/21 and 10/34 both these dmg/delays can be found for main hand in game now and should give you enough delay range

If it comes out roughly the same, change up your offhand weapons running the same test but by changing your offhand not your main hand, they should both swing about the same if its based off DW, they should vary significantly if its based off offhand delay

MAKE SURE YOUR SKILLS ARE MAXD FOR YOUR LVL AND YOU DO NOT LVL IN MIDDLE OF TEST AS IT WILL AFFECT THE ACCURACY OF THE TEST~

Hope this all helps, edited it 100x to try to make sure I got it right o-O

Estu
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
As far as offhand delay goes, I know on live (RIGHT NOW) Offhand delay + DW skill affects offhand weapons.

During Classic offhand delay was based off a ratio of main hand delay and DW skill (this is why items like Moss Covered Twig in main hand with a wurmslayer in offhand were so OP during kunark) What this means is that every time your MAIN HAND swings you have a chance based off your DW skill to swing with your offhand Back during this time I cared alot more and did the testing/research to confirm this.

If offhand was based SOLEY like you had been told off of DW skill the moss covered twig would be a crap item and wasted main hand dps pre-nerf......tho the wurm slayer would still be nice if based off nothing but DW.

All this said, I am unsure of how it works on p99 as I have not parsed it or heard it said by a staff member how it works.....But if it is like it was in classic my italic section "should" be the way it works here....tho there are plenty of opinions out there of how it worked back then and how it works on p99 now, and very few ppl that actually take/took the time to test it themselves, the only way to know for sure is to hear it from a staff member or do the testing yourself

To test just make sure to use the same offhand weapon, get a fast delayed main hand and go out and kill 50 (50 is just a example, the accuracy of testing improves the more mobs you kill, but I'd do no less then 50) mobs of the same type and lvl ,parse how many times your offhand SWUNG(this is ALOT easier to see if you use 2 different weapon types)

Then take a slow delayed main hand and do the same test on the exact same mobs, parse how many times your offhand swung.(note you count how many times your offhand swung not just how many times it connected and did dmg)

If it is based off nothing but DW or Offhand delay the numbers should come out "roughly" the same, if its based in any way off main hand delay they should differ, biggest thing is to make sure you separate the differential in delays on main hand weapons as much as possible to give the best chances of seeing the difference.

a 5/21 main hand and a 6/24 are not gonna give you wide enough separation, try a 5/21 and 10/34 both these dmg/delays can be found for main hand in game now and should give you enough delay range

If it comes out roughly the same, change up your offhand weapons running the same test but by changing your offhand not your main hand, they should both swing about the same if its based off DW, they should vary significantly if its based off offhand delay

MAKE SURE YOUR SKILLS ARE MAXD FOR YOUR LVL AND YOU DO NOT LVL IN MIDDLE OF TEST AS IT WILL AFFECT THE ACCURACY OF THE TEST~

Hope this all helps, edited it 100x to try to make sure I got it right o-O

Nice. I'd be interested in seeing the results of such an experiment, or hearing from someone who's confident that they know how the mechanics work on this server.

Kavanah
11-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Just to help the original poster out... I made a wood elf warrior and have gotten him to level 21 in a little over a week as well as decking him out in really good gear for his level.

1) Farm lots and lots of skeletons
2) Sell about 50 stacks of bone chips @ 7-8pp a stack = 400pp
3) Buy full bronze + pgt
4) Farm another 50 stacks of bone chips
5) Repeat step 2
6) Buy an Obsidian Shard and 5ac 55hp rings.
7) ???
8) Go level some more and repeat steps 1-2 when you want to upgrade some crested/crafted stuff.

theguyy
11-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, so far I've got full banded and a PGT at level 11. What should I offhand with PGT?

Kavanah
11-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, so far I've got full banded and a PGT at level 11. What should I offhand with PGT?

ObsidianShard 300pp

theguyy
11-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks, also I'm an Ogre with a 70 dex. Should I get some dex on my gear so these actually proc?

Estu
11-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks, also I'm an Ogre with a 70 dex. Should I get some dex on my gear so these actually proc?

IMO once you have a nice proccing weapon like a PGT and some basic armor like large banded/bronze, your top priority should be DEX. Some people may disagree, but here's how I look at it. As a warrior, especially a lowbie one, you're going to have trouble keeping aggro. If you don't keep aggro, you can forget about damage mitigation because there's no damage to mitigate. The only way to keep aggro is to improve your DEX, because regular weapon aggro is based on the max damage it would do if it hit, not whether or not it actually hits for max damage (i.e., STR isn't gonna make a difference unless it's actually increasing your max damage (which IIRC doesn't happen at your level), and even then, your procs are the bigger issue). Especially as an ogre, you already have high STR and STA, so this point is magnified. So, make sure you have a nice proccing main weapon and offhand (shoot for an obsidian shard next), and then get as much dex gear as you can get your big meaty paws on.

Baa
11-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Starting out new as a melee can be pretty rough (first 9 levels of my DE SK were painful), I just killed every skellie and bear I came across and made my money off HQ bear pelts and bone chips. As soon as I had the cash I bought full bronze and a BIBS and I was all set.

I have found it is much easier to make pp on here than it was on live, so you should be able to save up for some decent gear in no time.

I remember in live I made my first twink warrior and decked him out in full bronze and he wore some of those peices to his 30's

Estu
11-26-2010, 01:59 AM
BIBS

What's that stand for?

Duie
11-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Work on dex but tbo the better thing to do is take the hit on XP and group a ranger w/ ebony blades. Lets be honest, even w/ proccing weapons youll have a tough time keeping agro at lower levels . However if you are able to keep the mob rooted and you the closest to target , you will never l loose agro .... and TBO if the healer only has to heal you, XP will come faster negating the hybird penalty

Morlaeth
11-26-2010, 02:57 AM
What's that stand for?

Blackened Iron Bastard Sword

Kavanah
11-26-2010, 03:12 AM

Grotesque Mask

theguyy
11-26-2010, 02:51 PM
So how much dex am I shooting for from 70? Keep in mind every point of dex I shoot for on gear is stamina/agility/hp's and in some cases AC lost.

Also is there an acceptable offhand proc weapon I can use instead of Obsidian shard since it doesn't proc till lv 16?

Thanks

Estu
11-26-2010, 03:26 PM
So how much dex am I shooting for from 70? Keep in mind every point of dex I shoot for on gear is stamina/agility/hp's and in some cases AC lost.

Also is there an acceptable offhand proc weapon I can use instead of Obsidian shard since it doesn't proc till lv 16?

Thanks

I would just get the shard and deal with it not proccing until 16.