PDA

View Full Version : Differences between live and P99/classic

Hroth
11-28-2015, 12:47 AM
What are the major differences between live and P99/classic EQ in terms of the TLP servers? I haven't really played live since around something like 2006.

With the announcement of the new TLP server, I'm considering subscribing for a month to check it out. I know some classic zones have changed like Freeport and Nektulos. Is there any other major zone changes? Is Cazic Thule 2.0 (the zone) in as classic content? Do mobs only last for 3 seconds in zones like solb and lguk due to overpopulation?

I've heard mage pets are pretty OP. Do they trivialize the content so that groups don't want anything else? I'd be considering playing a paladin or a ranger. Are they even viable? I know spells got revamped as far as what level you get them. Are there any other classes that dominate?

iruinedyourday
11-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Basically they replaced all the art in the game with cats on the moon quality garbage and thats enough for me.

Swish
11-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Instanced content, a ton of mobs that should be taken out that won't be, Station cash incentives, and generally a player base that doesn't like much interaction, that boxes a lot and doesn't really form a cohesive community.

Not saying p99 is perfect, far from it...but step back for a moment and you realize this is a way better place to be.

Troxx
11-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Problems with TLP

--OUT OF COMBAT REGEN
-Post revamp xp scaling (no hell levels and accelerated relative level gains)
-OUT OF COMBAT REGEN
-non-classic pet tables
-OUT OF COMBAT REGEN
-non-classic monk bare fist tables
-OUT OF COMBAT REGEN
-non-classic revamped zones
-OUT OF COMBAT REGEN

But seriously, think back to classic everquest. Casters spent most of their time sitting on their asses. With a full mana bar they were demi-gods for brief periods in ways that a classically geared and non-twinked melee could never compete, but it took them a lot of time to get that mana. Your groups kill rate was completely dependent on caster mana, and things like breeze, clarity, c2, and bard songs were a big ... big deal. Out of combat regen? Congrats, now everyone can regen faster than a fungi and get a full mana/health bar back in 2-3 minutes flat!

OOC regen for live ushered in a new era where shaman/necro regenerative advantages were a moot point. The game started moving along much faster ... and most would agree that this transition was not for the better.

I'm pretty certain they don't turn off OOC regen for TLP servers ... but I could be wrong.

Lunababy
11-28-2015, 06:28 AM
TLP is just new-EQ which is a shitclone of WoW. If you want to play EQ, it has to be p99

Goldrock
11-28-2015, 06:34 AM
Old school and more hardcore the way mmos were meant to be live started catering to the mainstream which tend to be a buncha self entitled people and they dont like playing mmos anymore they want everything handed to them without actually playing the way eq was intended . Like late night camping though the mainstream people new generation find it repetative and grindy. But us old schoolers like it the old conversations and friends i would meet in some of these camp nights were great i still talk to some of the players i met back in like 99.

Ele
11-28-2015, 12:02 PM
There is a reason people 6 box mages on live.

Daldaen
11-28-2015, 12:12 PM
There is a reason people 6 box mages on live.

There's also a reason those people completely reroll by PoP.

Because PoP confirmed best expansion, and balanced groups rule the day again.

wormed
11-28-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty certain they don't turn off OOC regen for TLP servers ... but I could be wrong.

You are wrong. It is off.

fastboy21
11-28-2015, 12:49 PM

It was on during Vulak/Fippy progression. It might be off now or for Phinny.

maestrom
11-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Out of Combat regen is off on both lockjaw and ragefire and will be off for Phinny and future tlps as well

Troxx
11-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Good, then they got part of it right this time.

Bristlebaner
11-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Single, basement dweller: P99

Family, job, etc.: Live