PDA

View Full Version : Cleric or Necro?

Zehrikrom
12-04-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm going to be making myself a new main. Follower of Bertoxxulous, of course. Unfortunately I can't decide between a Cleric and a Necromancer. Both of them are classes I really like playing. It's hard. Life is hard.

NECRO
PROS
- robes look cool on humans
- good soloers
- flavor
- kvlt as fuck
CONS
- can't see pants
- overpopulated
- might get shafted for groups because I can solo
- skeleton form... ick
- iksar elitism

CLERIC
PROS
- desired for groups
- plate armor
- so many buffs
- gate (do necros get gate too I don't remember)
- "I'd like to take a minute to talk about our lord and savior Bertoxxulous"
CONS
- class quest armor is gold, ew
- less flavor than necro
- would get mistaken for some lame light-spewing good cleric
- deity-specific cleric symbol quest is in Ak'Anon

Ignoring the lists and naming some non-superficial reasons to play either class is probably the best course of action here.

Muggens
12-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Cleric!

Sorn
12-04-2015, 03:02 PM
NECRO
Pros
- You can be both one with the undead AND kill them effectively!
- You actually get a snare with your fear, unlike clerics
- You have a lot of utility
Cons
- Women's lib has yet to free necros from the bondage of long dresses--I mean robes
- You smell funny

CLERIC
Pros
- All groups all the time, they love you
- When paired with a druid, you can fear-kite everything
- You don't feel a need to associate yourself so closely with rotting corpses
Cons
- Good luck soloing anything when there are no groups available
- You have ONE job, dammit (usually)

Ele
12-04-2015, 03:04 PM
NECRO
PROS
- robes look cool on humans
- good soloers
- flavor
- kvlt as fuck
CONS
- can't see pants -- You can get the Flayed Skin Armor (http://wiki.project1999.com/Flayed_Skin_Armor) set out of Karnor's, which shows up as a wine-ish purple leather without a robe graphic and is human/erudite only.
- overpopulated -- There are probably more clerics than necros on the server.
- might get shafted for groups because I can solo -- learn to necro well and groups will want you. Find groups near undead get into the charm game for some awesome dps, can also pick up a Staff of Undead Legions (http://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_undead_legions) for even more dps against undead (lvl 46+). You can share HP, Mana, and CC once you get root/short duration mez.
- skeleton form... ick -- gotta live with it for uber mana regen
- iksar elitism -- hate the haters, roll your own bread

CLERIC
PROS
- desired for groups -- can also solo undead, mostly root/nuke and other stuff too, just not nearly as efficient as necro.
- plate armor
- so many buffs
- gate (do necros get gate too I don't remember) -- Both have gate.
- "I'd like to take a minute to talk about our lord and savior Bertoxxulous"
CONS
- class quest armor is gold, ew -- much better stuff is piece meal and there are some awesome Velium jewelcraft + hp, +mana bracers/rings/earrings for really cheap now (for which ever class you decide)
- less flavor than necro -- the flavor is what you make it, roleplay it up and refuse to help lighties.
- would get mistaken for some lame light-spewing good cleric -- let that be part of your sthick, they think you are going to help, then you watch them die and laugh
- deity-specific cleric symbol quest is in Ak'Anon

Daldaen
12-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Go Iksar Necro. You won't regret it.

Monty405
12-04-2015, 03:26 PM
All Healers (Clr, Shm, Dru) and Int casters (Necro, Mage, Wiz, Ench) have both gate and bind affinity.

Pyrocat
12-04-2015, 03:28 PM

Zehrikrom
12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm cursed with special snowflake syndrome and can't bring myself to be the race 80% of necros are, no matter how good the racials happen to be :(

Sorn
12-04-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm cursed with special snowflake syndrome and can't bring myself to be the race 80% of necros are, no matter how good the racials happen to be :(

Go gnome or go home :D

Daldaen
12-04-2015, 04:00 PM

Then be an Iksar who refuses to use Lich?

Or be a crazy person who uses Arch Lich!

Really, after 34 on a Necro you won't even notice what race you are. Skeleton til you die.

Rose
12-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Personally I'd go with a Necro just because of their soloing capabilities, but it really comes down to personal preference.

dmorawski
12-04-2015, 06:08 PM
kvlt as fuck

Invalid_Bard
12-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Iksar Necro Pros - You're an Iksar Necro

Iksar Necro Cons - Lmao....

Cleric Pros - .......

Cleric Cons - You're a Cleric.....

nothsa
12-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Human Clerics can get some nice toys, follow innoruuk, and dont level in crushbone, maybe even try the warrens, you get a clicker snare necklace, fear clicker mask, instant junk buff see invis helm ( great for raids later) and a bad arse purple skull shield for the early pre 55 levels.

Kushie
12-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Why not both? I have an epic cleric and epic necro, love them equally.

Aeaolena
12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Go Cleric.

For no other reason than Clerics are the "prettiest belles of the ball" in Velious. You basically have the golden key to get into nearly any guild you like, as Clerics are so vital. When you start to burn out, or if you even do, level up your Necro alt for funzies.

Nuggie
12-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Pretty much what Vowels said.

Llodd
12-05-2015, 10:08 AM
CONS
- can't see pants -- You can get the Flayed Skin Armor (http://wiki.project1999.com/Flayed_Skin_Armor) set out of Karnor's, which shows up as a wine-ish purple leather without a robe graphic and is human/erudite only.

Or Netted Kelp (droppable) or Flayed Paebala (nodrop ultra rare). Probably some others too.

Zehrikrom
12-05-2015, 06:10 PM
I've decided to go with Cleric! I'm making a necromancer alt too, though. Maybe even an Iksar necro, considering how much I hate the leather/mail/plate graphics they have.