PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many people /anon?

Brontus
12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Hello there,

I am a relatively new P1999 player. One of the things that I loved about the original EQ is that people actually grouped and talked to each other.

For a player to be able to group with another player, it's helpful to do a /who all crushbone to see who's in Clan Crushbone zone. When a player is /anon they are not listed in the zone and the player who is interested in going to Crushbone for a group is less likely to go if nobody shows up when in fact there are people there but they are /anon.

Of course there is a clandestine nature to /anon. I see large raiding guilds go /anon because they don't want to alert competing guilds about what they are doing. I see high level farmers in many zones /anon as well, probably because they don't want their farming competitors what they are up to. Fair enough.

I do understand that some people want to role-play and want to be /anon for privacy. However, EverQuest is a MMORPG where the purpose is to group with each other. Being /anon puts you out of the market when others are looking for a particular role to be filled in a group. It gives the player who does /who an inaccurate representation of the classes and levels that are in the zone.

I just wish more people would stop being /anon so that more people can group with each other. That is the true spirit of EverQuest and what Project 1999 is trying to accomplish.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide about why so many people have decided to go /anon.

indiscriminate_hater
12-15-2015, 05:39 PM
i /anon because when i'm aoe kiting 500 mobs i want the non-anon bards to get yelled at when no one can find merbs

Sorn
12-15-2015, 05:46 PM
I go /role to minimize tells for ports/sow/buffs when I'm occupied with something.

Ravager
12-15-2015, 05:50 PM
I go anon so The Illuminati don't find me.

Swish
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
When i used to do Highkeep nobles or a camp like it i'd keep my level showing as a courtesy to anyone who was thinking of taking a trip over to see if it was camped.

Would usually then get tells asking if I was doing them, I'd say yes, they'd say thanks and go somewhere else or ask how long I planned to be there.

The community is as good as the players want it to be.

Evia
12-15-2015, 06:15 PM
I do understand that some people want to role-play and want to be /anon for privacy. However, EverQuest is a MMORPG where the purpose is to group with each other. Being /anon puts you out of the market when others are looking for a particular role to be filled in a group. It gives the player who does /who an inaccurate representation of the classes and levels that are in the zone.

I just wish more people would stop being /anon so that more people can group with each other. That is the true spirit of EverQuest and what Project 1999 is trying to accomplish.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide about why so many people have decided to go /anon.

With all due respect this post sounds as if you're holding others to a standard that you have put upon yourself based on how you view the game was designed to be played.

While I completely agree with you on the fact that EQ is a better game (and designed) to be done with others grouping up and such ect, I don't think anyone should have to explain why they want to go /anon nor do I feel that there is anything wrong with the fact that people go /anon. They have the right to play the game the way they enjoy.

Maybe some people like this game for other reasons then the group dynamic? Maybe they hate people and want to play as isolated as possible? there are thousands of different reasons behind why someone chooses to go /anon....

Maybe try not expecting other people to view (and play) the game the way that you do?

Calibretto
12-15-2015, 06:28 PM
I go anonymous to avoid random tells from OP.

joppykid
12-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I usually associate going Anon with someone doing something shady or its someone not wanting to give buffs/port (understandably). Of course you have the raiding guilds not wanting people to know where they are as well sometimes and every once in awhile you just don't want to be bothered so you go /anon.

Erati
12-15-2015, 06:50 PM
so you cant see where I am or what I am doing.

just always assume: "druiding"

Freakish
12-15-2015, 07:02 PM
My cleric is almost always role. Anyone who has played a cleric at high levels knows why.

My other toons? They might get asked zone information or advice but nothing like the amount of tells a cleric gets.

Brontus
12-15-2015, 07:10 PM
With all due respect this post sounds as if you're holding others to a standard that you have put upon yourself based on how you view the game was designed to be played.

While I completely agree with you on the fact that EQ is a better game (and designed) to be done with others grouping up and such ect, I don't think anyone should have to explain why they want to go /anon nor do I feel that there is anything wrong with the fact that people go /anon. They have the right to play the game the way they enjoy.

Maybe some people like this game for other reasons then the group dynamic? Maybe they hate people and want to play as isolated as possible? there are thousands of different reasons behind why someone chooses to go /anon....

Maybe try not expecting other people to view (and play) the game the way that you do?

Thanks to everyone for their insight!

I expected I might get a response like this. I believe people are free to play EQ or P1999 any way they want either /anon or non-anon. I respect that. I agree with you, nobody should have to justify why they are /anon. All I wanted to do was find out *why* some people are going /anon so I can better understand and empathize with them.

That said, EQ was designed to be primarily a group based game using class interdependency as its core. Brad McQuaid the lead designer/producer of EQ has said as much in countless interviews. My own personal view is that /anon is contrary to that spirit. What if everyone went /anon or was automatically /anon? I think that would really make groups harder to form and erode the grouping dynamic that EQ was built around.

Part of my point is that when you go /anon it has consequences for everyone around you. The low level warrior who just started P1999 a week ago that can't find a group, may stop logging on out of frustration.

There can be no doubt that the MMORPG experience for many people has changed and been redefined since the advent of single-player MMORPGs like WoW and others. I'm just wondering if this mentality has seeped into P1999.

My own anecdotal experience with P1999 is that more players are /anon here than was the case in the first few years of EQ.

Again, thanks for all the replies :)

milsorgen
12-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Because I have a role to play, not necessarily roleplay. As King and Ruler of all Half Elven it is important I maintain character.

nothsa
12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
I have played clerics at a high end and unless i was raiding i would be be find able, most people are okay with you not resing them, but for me if they dragged the body close and can organised a port, i would if i was free.
Besides it was a fun mini game for me with some nice pp usually as well.

captnamazing
12-15-2015, 08:15 PM
I stay /role because I'm always ready to roleplay

Valura
12-15-2015, 08:24 PM
one time a level 57 enchanter payed me 12pp to port him out of Lguk

captnamazing
12-15-2015, 08:28 PM

did he at least c2 you?

Valura
12-15-2015, 08:30 PM
did he at least c2 you?

no

captnamazing
12-15-2015, 08:32 PM
no

that's shameful. 12pp and a c2 is a good tip for any porter... but 12pp alone? he could have at least chatted you up... kissed you a little. given some erotic emotes. I'm sorry for you bud.

Daldaen
12-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I hate anon and role.

I especially hate those who are anon and role, and proceed to tell me PoK books and Luclin scions ruined the game because you no longer needed to waste other people (Druid/wizards) time with port request, when they themselves refuse to make themselves /who searchable to be accessible to others for such requests.

In summary: PoP confirmed best expansion that ever was or will be.

Bruno
12-15-2015, 09:17 PM
PoP confirmed best expansion that ever was or will be.

http://www.yourtango.com/sites/default/files/misc-assets/weekly/compliment2.gif

kuuky
12-15-2015, 09:33 PM
I am forever /anon cuz im an A-hole or so I have been told

Cecily
12-16-2015, 01:40 AM
I like purple and it lets me fly my TMO flag whilst LFG.

Related thread!: Cecily is rude. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111616)

elwing
12-16-2015, 02:23 AM
It's a bad habit from Vallon Zek here...

Pokesan
12-16-2015, 02:33 AM
because freedom and justice are a concept foreign to the p99 playerbase other than my guild

ridiculousmoose
12-16-2015, 06:44 AM
I have a lot of stalkers that want to see me naked... So I must remain anonymous to protect my beautiful body.

Troxx
12-16-2015, 06:48 AM
It bothers me when I see guilded people /anon, makes me automatically think they are up to no good. You can hide your class, level, and whereabouts easily enough by going /role. The exception to this are Druids/wizards of dial a port as their guild tag alone broadcasts their porter status and that they are likely "on duty".

I can understand buffing/rezzing/porting classes staying /role to avoid annoying spam requests. I will rarely do this on my shaman.

Swish
12-16-2015, 07:44 AM
If someone is being a dick while /anon, type "/guildstatus Soandso" and their guild is revealed if they're guilded.

Whirled
12-16-2015, 10:13 AM
I go anon so The Illuminati don't find me.

shhh, they're watching

maskedmelon
12-16-2015, 11:36 AM
I like purple and it lets me fly my TMO flag whilst LFG.

Related thread!: Cecily is rude. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111616)

A+ RNF, thank you for sharing ^^

Kohedron
12-16-2015, 11:59 AM
My main isn't always /anon, but my alts will be since they are in DaP and a nome warrior can't port for shit

feanan
12-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Level 60 cleric....never been anon, never will.

Sirken
12-16-2015, 06:30 PM
did he at least c2 you?
no

i would have ported him to tox and bound him there. :)