PDA

View Full Version : Pushing back against <Dial a Port>--A tradewar manifesto

Expediency
12-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Friends:

As <Dial a Port> continues to expand, many druids and wizards ask themselves "How can I compete with such a cartel? They have numbers, they have organization, and they have a commercial reputation. What is an independent teleporter supposed to do against such a monolith?"

Many believe that they must either join this cartel, or form with others in a similar business model if they wish to compete. This is a mistake. <Dial a Port> has a clear goal and strong leadership, fighting them on their terms will only result in a trade war that they will probably win. The answer lies instead in using the success of <Dial a Port> against them, making their union a weakness that can be exploited.

There is no way that we can organize, either in public or in private, to counter this organization collectively. They could easily infiltrate us and learn of our plans, or sabotage them. Therefore our plans must be out in the open to begin with, with every person operating independently in their own way to keep this cartel in check.

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to release this manifesto to p99 so that all may learn how to get their piece of the pie.

Tactics for combating <Dial a Port>

I. Claim your territory and fight over it. /duel any <Dial a Porter> who is showing their tag where ever you are trying to operate your small business. They are soft as butter and rarely will accept. If they refuse, mock them and send up your macro whenever they do. If you win, demand they leave the area for 24 hours. If you lose, keep your word and leave the area for the same, secure in the knowledge that you tested their strength and wasted their time/mana.

II. Offer additional services. Many <Dial a Port> members can not offer a full selection of ports, evacs, etc. If you can succor/abscond, make sure your customers know. If you can OT hammer, make sure to spread that info. Offer luxury services to high rollers.

III. Avoid advertising your porting business in zones known to offer small returns. Let <Dial a Port> have the CRs at the freeport gate or the newbs with 10 silver in qeynos hills. In this way we use their organization against them, while we are free to take the more lucrative business.

IV. Offer protection as much as you can. <Dial a Port> deals in volume and many of their members are level 30-45. This means that when you touch down in Emerald Jungle, Skyfire, or Cobalt Scar (just to name a few) and get attacked, your <Dial a Porter> is more useless than Nature Walker's Behest.

V. Conveniently offer charged WC caps (and other raid items) for sale but at an increased price, and have one on hand. Dont advertise loudly, and dont push it, just mention it to any clients in the top raiding guilds, particularly melee characters. <Dial a Port> only makes money off them one way, you can get them coming and going. Other products such as mallets and sow potions can be marketed in this way.

What do we hope to gain? And can we better the community while at war with <Dial a Port?>

The first question is easy: we hope to gain a larger piece of the pie by cutting into their business. Our goal is not to get <Dial a Port> banned or disbanded, but rather to use it from the outside to help ourselves. The second is more nuanced; but the results are already showing. By organizing against <Dial a Port> we force them to offer more services to stay competitive, which helps everyone. <Dial a Port> now boasts one epic cleric and another who can 50% rez. The more we push them, the more they must offer the public.

Predicting the future of <Dial a Port>

A. <Dial a Port> is too well integrated into the culture of p99 to go anywhere any time soon. They have strong leadership and likely have others willing to direct it should the current leadership resign.

B. Expect <Dial a Port> to get into other services, such as cap recharges, ranger tracking, or alchemy.

C. Outlaying the money for an epic cleric was a smart move that plays to their strengths; expect this business to mature and for <Dial a Port> to standardize the payment system for rezzes. Be alert for ways to counter this.

D. The wildcard: <Tell a Port> is a guild name that is being camped by a very smart everquester. Unfortunately this guild has failed to grow or to take off, and I would recommend the owner of <Tell a Port> to get in the action, or to sell his guild tag to someone who can put it to good use.

Thank you for reading, feel free to disseminate this document and I hope you will consider shopping local and flying with an independent teleporter for your next trip around Norrath!

Swish
12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
They never have mana when they get to you. Don't accept bad quality customer service.

xKoopa
12-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Vouch, i saw Expediency challenging dial a port to duels in wc.. they wouldnt accept

moss_snake_shadowknight
12-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Join a guild and ask in guild chat! We do.

Vorkon
12-21-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm a fan of free market trade and competition, I'll get ports from rando's if they are in the same zone, or I'll use Dial-A-Port like an uber service if I can't get one.

That being said hanging out in WL watching Woushi gib unsuspecting porters and portee's is a new hobby of mine.

gildor
12-21-2015, 01:49 PM
wow it wasn't long you were part of the "cartel" expediency, quickly forgot where you came from huh?

Expediency
12-21-2015, 02:07 PM
wow it wasn't long you were part of the "cartel" expediency, quickly forgot where you came from huh?

Absolutely false, I have never been a part of this cartel. Post proof since you seem so sure of yourself

Swish
12-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Absolutely false, I have never been a part of this cartel. Post proof since you seem so sure of yourself

Make him find the thread and post in that thread for absolute proof or you're definitely lying... that's the new forum meta lately :/

Expediency
12-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Make him find the thread and post in that thread for absolute proof or you're definitely lying... that's the new forum meta lately :/

Thats for people who know they are wrong. I know that I'm right, I have only ever been in two guilds (including my current) and would bet any amount of platinum on him not producing any evidence for his claim

indiscriminate_hater
12-21-2015, 02:21 PM
that's the new forum meta lately :/

prove it

Swish
12-21-2015, 02:26 PM

prove it

http://www.gjel.com/01new/media/simpsons-lionel-hutz.jpg

pasi
12-21-2015, 02:34 PM
For luxury services, you need to include a way to contact offline porters.

Way back when I played regularly, I had players that I could batphone at off-hours that were bound at OT hammer and could log online within 3 minutes notice. Granted, I tipped 500pp to 2k for ports during off-hours. Think the most I ever did was 3 pieces of ES (~5k). Pretty easy to have an email linked to your phone that you only give out to high-rollers.

Expediency
12-21-2015, 02:57 PM
For luxury services, you need to include a way to contact offline porters.

Way back when I played regularly, I had players that I could batphone at off-hours that were bound at OT hammer and could log online within 3 minutes notice. Granted, I tipped 500pp to 2k for ports during off-hours. Think the most I ever did was 3 pieces of ES (~5k). Pretty easy to have an email linked to your phone that you only give out to high-rollers.

Thank you for your suggestion. I should probably set something up like that. If dial a port has a batphone they dont publicize it.

pasi
12-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Thank you for your suggestion. I should probably set something up like that. If dial a port has a batphone they dont publicize it.

You really just need to find the 2015-equivalents to guys like Svenn, Jeremy, Loraen, Tecmos, etc.

Litigator
12-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Greetings from the <Law Offices of Norrath>!

I have been retained for 60 days to deal with the issue of <Dial a Port>. Its not clear what I am supposed to help with yet but I would like to thank expediency for hiring me and giving me this chance. If you needed a roleplay lawyer, you came to the right place!

Monty405
12-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Meanwhile, in EFP.

http://i.imgur.com/oSwEbeD.jpg

Kevris
12-21-2015, 03:43 PM
When your group has gone astray, call Dial-A-Port we'll take you right away.

When you're looking for a better place to play, Dial-A-Port will be online all day.

Remember kids, CR's are FREEEEEE

-The World Famous Mcporty Express <Dial-A-Port>

Tupakk
12-21-2015, 03:46 PM
So I gave her a good few hours before I decided to say anything.

Everything she says is true.

And everything she will try to say about cornering the "market" won't work. We have tested, implemented, and made happen everything she could possibly think of.

Expendiency is behind with the times, but I do admire your attempt to overthrow something as big as we are.

I will say this time and time again, come home sister and we will show you the way.

Expediency
12-21-2015, 03:47 PM
I've been getting a lot of feedback on this in game! I'm not going to name any names, but if guys can not see that my trade war over the last 6 months was roleplaying and that this post is satire then I cant do anything for you.

Sorn
12-21-2015, 03:52 PM

scooter
12-21-2015, 04:20 PM
just have an easier to type name. this isn't hard.

Morlaeth
12-21-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm a fan of free market trade and competition, I'll get ports from rando's if they are in the same zone, or I'll use Dial-A-Port like an uber service if I can't get one.

That being said hanging out in WL watching Woushi gib unsuspecting porters and portee's is a new hobby of mine.

Can confirm Grombok is a great tipper!

Source: My DaP toon.

chipz
12-21-2015, 04:36 PM
10/10. I read twice for comedy.

gildor
12-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Oh I have no proof, I just assume your a druid and every druid has used DAP to gear up while leveling

zauber
12-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Just like in real life there are consequences for decisions. When I played live I sacrificed "ALOT" to be in a raiding guild, until I realized what was more important in life. I went on to play live for 15 years and enjoyed it so. Anyone can choose to join a porting guild (i.e. dial-a-port). If you do join such a guild, you sacrifice the opportunity to raid and be a "high-end" player.
Dial-a-port is a respectable guild with nice people as members. They do NOT confront other non-members trying to port.
I am a retired high school teacher and what I have observed is that people think they deserve what every else has, whether they work/sacrifice for it or not.
If you want to be a porter and not join a porting guild, then be the best porter you can be. Do not "label" and trash dial-a-port (such as challenging them and humiliating them if they do not accept). Be the best porter you can be. if you want what D-a-P'ers have with such a strong porting guild, then join them.

Tupakk
12-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Just like in real life there are consequences for decisions. When I played live I sacrificed "ALOT" to be in a raiding guild, until I realized what was more important in life. I went on to play live for 15 years and enjoyed it so. Anyone can choose to join a porting guild (i.e. dial-a-port). If you do join such a guild, you sacrifice the opportunity to raid and be a "high-end" player.
Dial-a-port is a respectable guild with nice people as members. They do NOT confront other non-members trying to port.
I am a retired high school teacher and what I have observed is that people think they deserve what every else has, whether they work/sacrifice for it or not.
If you want to be a porter and not join a porting guild, then be the best porter you can be. Do not "label" and trash dial-a-port (such as challenging them and humiliating them if they do not accept). Be the best porter you can be. if you want what D-a-P'ers have with such a strong porting guild, then join them.

Preach it brother.

Expediency
12-21-2015, 07:38 PM
And everything she will try to say about cornering the "market" won't work. We have tested, implemented, and made happen everything she could possibly think of.

Expendiency is behind with the times, but I do admire your attempt to overthrow something as big as we are.

You've got this backwards. The point of this manifesto is to show others how to operate in a market that you have dominated, and give social justifications for the disruption. The essay states plainly that a tradewar vs you would likely be a losing proposition, that you have strong leadership with clear goals, and that you are well integrated into the server.

There was hidden praise all over the OP. Can you not see it? Frankly given how many of you I have interacted with in the last six months, I expected you guys to run with this idea.

Tupakk
12-21-2015, 07:40 PM
There isnt anything to take away from what you said. We do that and more but thanks for thinking you were trying to help us out?