PDA

View Full Version : New server announced yet?

skorge
12-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Hope everyone is having a good holiday. I haven't been on here in awhile, but I'm an old school p99er. Was wondering if they have announced a new server yet? That's the only thing I'm looking forward to anymore.

Hopefully they wise up and launch a new server soon, potentially wiping the current one. If they don't do a wipe, even having a second blue server would be good. P99 needs some new life.

bktroost
12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Welp, all kind of guilds are getting mobs all over the world. Pretty much only congested thing is VP and NToV. People I know on the top end are rotating to other games because they beat everything other than sleeper, including ring war.

No new server.

Vekonis
12-30-2015, 09:44 PM
No desire for a new server from me. If they wipe blue server i will leave p99 for good. I've spent too much time to start over

bktroost
12-30-2015, 10:42 PM
No desire for a new server from me. If they wipe blue server i will leave p99 for good. I've spent too much time to start over

Yeah me too. I just (kinda) got my epic this week after 5 years of active mageing.

Rararboker
12-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Current server is the beta server. Someday they will do another blue server with the patchez/expansions coming in order and on time. No eta afaik.

iruinedyourday
12-31-2015, 12:11 AM

u should atried red, youd be like, WELP I DID IT ALL! BOY i hope they WIPE this stuff so i can start again from scratch WOO!!!

Fountree
12-31-2015, 02:03 AM
WB Skorge!

Doors
12-31-2015, 04:01 AM
Hey Skorge.

JurisDictum
12-31-2015, 08:22 AM
u should atried red, youd be like, WELP I DID IT ALL! BOY i hope they WIPE this stuff so i can start again from scratch WOO!!!

Any time you suggest character transfers, a re99 server that dumps to red, or a server wipe, there is widespread opposition in the red community. They want everyone to join what is essentially a dead server from 0-55, start from scratch, and then get owned by their NToV characters for months while they are gearing up.

To me, it seems really clear that a new red server would be a hell of a lot more popular than the old red server. And if that is an absolute impossibility, character transfers at least bring in some people that are ready to PvP and Raid -- which is the only part of the server that isn't completely lifeless.

I was a PvP player on live. And in all my experience in games then and since, I never played with a player base so afraid of real competition. Most of the "top players" that played these servers, would go for years without ever manning up and fighting someone on their power level.

heartbrand
12-31-2015, 09:18 AM
Release Luclin on red

meatspin
12-31-2015, 09:29 AM
discord coming out today?

Daywolf
12-31-2015, 10:04 AM
You mean like a pve server? Yeah later next year was the word. They want to do another progression server, and maybe at a slower progression on expansions.

I guess you heared it here first :D
...well I guess for those that dont bother to follow any of their live streams.

Though not "announced". But years ago they said they wanted to at a future point, and looks like that point is closing in.

skorge
12-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Current server is the beta server. Someday they will do another blue server with the patchez/expansions coming in order and on time. No eta afaik.

Yep, this is the same way I think. I truly feel we have been playing a beta server. The next go around will be such a better, more smooth experience than this go around. That's one of the main reasons a new server would succeed. I really hope something gets announced in the future. I can only imagine the amount of people outside of the P99 community that will buy into the hype of it -- even if they keep the current server riding along side with it.

And good to hear from you Fountree and Doors.

zanderklocke
12-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Not to be rude, but what exactly is the benefit of having another redo server aside from a chance to be on a level playing field for a short amount of time?

At some point, the new server will look exactly the same as the current blue server due to the same people playing more hardcore than casual players.

Dalven
12-31-2015, 01:34 PM
The fun of classic eq progression on a classic timeline zander pal!

Loanarn
12-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Not to be rude, but what exactly is the benefit of having another redo server aside from a chance to be on a level playing field for a short amount of time?

At some point, the new server will look exactly the same as the current blue server due to the same people playing more hardcore than casual players.

Never played Diablo 2? The ladder kept things interesting. Eventually the ladder's economy and playerbase gets too top heavy and things get wonky. A ladder reset every once in a while and dumping all the ladder characters to non-ladder at the end is a great way to keep things fresh for a long time.

brecon
12-31-2015, 01:46 PM
I can't wait for a new server to launch. I wish it would launch soon.

The process of leveling and gearing, working in groups to go through content and to progress your character, are the aspects that draw me to the game. It's less fun in a context where everyone is simply racing to 60 because they want to hit raid level. It's less difficult when everyone has a pocket buffer to buff xp groups, and it's less fun when xp groups always hit the same zones. When you start a new server, there's such a rush of people in their 20s that groups choose to go other places than MM and Unrest because they can get more mobs, or there are better drops, etc.

Further, when you start a new server, you make new friends. Not everyone from Blue99 or Red99 will go to a new server. Some will stay behind, and some new people will join the Green99 server. Guilds from Blue may move over, but they'll take in new blood, and you get to know people more from leveling than from sitting in a raid channel, trying to keep quiet so guild leaders can issue instructions.

So yes, pras Green99 - may it come soon!

Issar
12-31-2015, 01:55 PM
A year or so ago, a "Recycle Server" was announced. It was stated that it would be launched after all of the Velious patches had been released. The server would run with the live timeline, and characters would be merged to blue at the end. The "Green Server" would then be wiped and they would begin the timeline again. Imo, that's the greatest gaming news I've heard since discovering P99.

Prahadigm24
12-31-2015, 02:00 PM

I see quite a few benefits:

- Restart of the economy. After 6 (?) years, active players must sit on hundreds of thousands, if not millions of PP. 99% of the old world drops are worthless. People have been farming funghi tunics and other high-end items for years.

- Improved progression. Kunark was released after how many years? 3? And Velious after another 3 years. A new box could progress quicker (e. g. 9 months of classic, 9 months of Kunark, 9 months of Velious or something like that).

- Server code, client code and database are MUCH better today than they were in 2009. A new server would have fewer bugs, fewer exploits and a better anti-cheating system than the original server had.

- A lot of people didn't know about the server when it was released. I missed the server launch and would love to see a fresh start.

- I could certainly convince some RL friends to try a new P1999 server. A lot of other people would lure their friends into trying/restarting, too.

- Many new raiding opportunities for those who want to stay on P1999 Blue.

- Most important: In classic MMORPGs as EQ, the journey is the reward. Hunting for cloth armor and a cracked staff is so much cooler than buying Velious weapons for a few PP. (I'm aware we can play self-found on P99 Blue today - it's still not the same.)

You're right: At some point, the new server will look exactly the same as the current blue server. At some point in 6 years! ;)
The server admins have stated several times that the existing server will NEVER be wiped. I still hope they'll release a new one at some point.

iruinedyourday
12-31-2015, 02:13 PM

Well, they have said they would merge that server with blue once vel lupus would launch for its progression.

Then start it over.

So

1. If you're greedy you can farm manastones and stuff.
2. If you're fashion quest minded you can get lusterous russet crylosilk robes and dark elf masks
3. If you're classic you can wear a bark shield for stats and fight over treant camps and have the time of your life

trite
12-31-2015, 02:31 PM
I think the plan is solid, the only thing that bothers are the inevitable name conflicts that will happen on a large scale when green merges into blue....so many green characters getting X appended to their name. People will have spent a couple years playing their characters and will have to reserve names on blue (which has a limited selection of cool names at this point) in anticipation of the merger if they don't want them modified!...

thufir
12-31-2015, 02:47 PM
I can't wait for a new server to launch. I wish it would launch soon.

The process of leveling and gearing, working in groups to go through content and to progress your character, are the aspects that draw me to the game. It's less fun in a context where everyone is simply racing to 60 because they want to hit raid level. It's less difficult when everyone has a pocket buffer to buff xp groups, and it's less fun when xp groups always hit the same zones. When you start a new server, there's such a rush of people in their 20s that groups choose to go other places than MM and Unrest because they can get more mobs, or there are better drops, etc.

Further, when you start a new server, you make new friends. Not everyone from Blue99 or Red99 will go to a new server. Some will stay behind, and some new people will join the Green99 server. Guilds from Blue may move over, but they'll take in new blood, and you get to know people more from leveling than from sitting in a raid channel, trying to keep quiet so guild leaders can issue instructions.

So yes, pras Green99 - may it come soon!

Nothing you have said prevents you, or anyone else, from doing this on blue 99 as it stands. Nor will it prevent anyone doing exactly what they do right now when they release green99.

I would like to see a green99 just because I never went through the pure classic, no-xpac era, and I would like to experience that. But I don't have any delusions that a fresh start will change the minds of the playerbase. Once you hit Kunark everyone will pile into Karnor's and that's that. It's the way the game is designed, for good or ill.

The route to 60 will still run through the exact same zones that it runs through now on a completely fresh server - unless *you* change what you do. And if you do, you will find that there are other people to group with that also want to change. And this is true on a green99 or a blue99 or any other server.

This is what I did. Out of all my characters, I've only ever had one of my five go to MM, or Crushbone, or Unrest - and in all cases, one or two trips was enough. I've never even been to CoM, except to kill Lord Rak Ash'iir. And I never had a pocket buffer, either. Groups formed around me wherever I went and I saw a lot of things I had never seen on Live. Still do, occasionally, even at those lower levels.

Wiping it clean won't change any of this. It's just like Zander says, there will still be hardcore players who want to race to the end, they have a specific progression model they follow, and they will all still do this on a new server. If you want to play how you describe, you need to start doing it.

Issar
12-31-2015, 02:47 PM
I think the plan is solid, the only thing that bothers are the inevitable name conflicts that will happen on a large scale when green merges into blue....so many green characters getting X appended to their name. People will have spent a couple years playing their characters and will have to reserve names on blue (which has a limited selection of cool names at this point) in anticipation of the merger if they don't want them modified!...

And that's a valid concern that was brought up. Personally, it's not a big issue since I just plan on playing on the green server and only logging blue during lulls in action on green. There are several classes that I would have liked to have mained during live and this would give me the opportunity to experience that. Enough gaming to last me for 15 years...

SirAlvarex
12-31-2015, 03:06 PM
Nothing you have said prevents you, or anyone else, from doing this on blue 99 as it stands. Nor will it prevent anyone doing exactly what they do right now when they release green99.

I would like to see a green99 just because I never went through the pure classic, no-xpac era, and I would like to experience that. But I don't have any delusions that a fresh start will change the minds of the playerbase. Once you hit Kunark everyone will pile into Karnor's and that's that. It's the way the game is designed, for good or ill.

The route to 60 will still run through the exact same zones that it runs through now on a completely fresh server - unless *you* change what you do. And if you do, you will find that there are other people to group with that also want to change. And this is true on a green99 or a blue99 or any other server.

This is what I did. Out of all my characters, I've only ever had one of my five go to MM, or Crushbone, or Unrest - and in all cases, one or two trips was enough. I've never even been to CoM, except to kill Lord Rak Ash'iir. And I never had a pocket buffer, either. Groups formed around me wherever I went and I saw a lot of things I had never seen on Live. Still do, occasionally, even at those lower levels.

Wiping it clean won't change any of this. It's just like Zander says, there will still be hardcore players who want to race to the end, they have a specific progression model they follow, and they will all still do this on a new server. If you want to play how you describe, you need to start doing it.

I think more what the OP is saying is that right now you can't find groups willing to go to the out-of-the-way places.

I played back when it was just Classic and I do have to say that was more fun. Every zone was full of groups you could find quite easily. Kedge even had groups going there.

Raiding was a cluster-fuck tho no doubt about that. 2 raid targets made it hell.

For some people (like myself) it's really taxing trying to compose a group for a new area to explore. Especially when 9 out of 10 players will ask "why?" when they can just go to the easy XP spots that aren't as camped.

Altho IMO what I miss most about Classic was the shit itemization. Getting "good enough" gear was pretty easy and attainable for just about everyone. Plus I miss seeing Obsidian Shards being the go-to tank weapon for Warriors.

/nostalgia off

Issar
12-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah Alvarex, I personally enjoyed the game most when the gear was terrible and groupmates had to rely on each other to progress. That is where the friendships are formed. Helping your buddies complete their quests or earning that highly sought after "game changing" item like a crafted BP or an SSOY is where the real fun is. Exp groups on live is not much like they are when the gear is limited and you were lucky if your tank had a full set of bronze.

trite
12-31-2015, 03:38 PM
People are just too educated to try to grind exp with low modifiers or off of mobs with 2x the HP as mobs of the same level elsewhere.....A lot of my out of the way leveling adventures on live were fueled by ignorance or differences between this server and live...Plus if places weren't out of the way and hard to access they would have less mystique and you wouldn't be interested in exploring them....the limiters for certain experiences in this game are what makes a lot of them interesting....

Vilkata
12-31-2015, 03:54 PM
Didn't the devs mention custom content at one point? Would love to see jaggedpine, Veksar and POP!!!

Lojik
12-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Would love to see a player unlocked progression server:

Once naggy, vox, phinny dead = planes released
Once inny, CT, and sky mobs dead = kunark
once VS, Trak, VP mobs dead = velious
Once certain mobs in velious killed = sleepers opens
once sleeper woken = wipe and start all over

Unsure if FFA PVP in unlock zones (maybe a few others) would be a good idea
Also something like a monument zone to honor guilds/players of server firsts/kills in each age. Also would need to cap out bard songs at affecting something like 10 mobs, otherwise you just have bards PLing everyone, or prevent more than a few mobs from grouping up tight.

brecon
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM

You are picking a fight in the most pedantic of all ways. The simple fact is, a new server where everyone starts fresh is different from trying to 'play from zero' on a top-heavy established server.

Sure, you can try to create your own bubble, and maybe even find several groups of like-minded individuals to not accept high level buffs and to only rely on self-farmed gear. But then when your relatively undergeared group gets to the level where it wants to start farming some nice gear while xping, and they head to Solb, you find an afk shaman locking down tranix and an enchanter soloing at efreeti.

Then you head to EC, and realize that with the money you can earn farming seafuries for a few hours, you can buy the GEBS. And you're forced back into the game economy.

So please, by all means, moan about the problems of EQ and tell me how none of my concerns matter. But I, like a lot of other people, would like to play from a fresh classic progression server (I'd say following classic progression timeline and timing makes sense). If you don't want to come along, stay on Blue or quit, whatever.

sirelothar
12-31-2015, 04:51 PM
You are picking a fight in the most pedantic of all ways. The simple fact is, a new server where everyone starts fresh is different from trying to 'play from zero' on a top-heavy established server.

Sure, you can try to create your own bubble, and maybe even find several groups of like-minded individuals to not accept high level buffs and to only rely on self-farmed gear. But then when your relatively undergeared group gets to the level where it wants to start farming some nice gear while xping, and they head to Solb, you find an afk shaman locking down tranix and an enchanter soloing at efreeti.

Then you head to EC, and realize that with the money you can earn farming seafuries for a few hours, you can buy the GEBS. And you're forced back into the game economy.

So please, by all means, moan about the problems of EQ and tell me how none of my concerns matter. But I, like a lot of other people, would like to play from a fresh classic progression server (I'd say following classic progression timeline and timing makes sense). If you don't want to come along, stay on Blue or quit, whatever.

Phinny just launched fyi

brecon
12-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Phinny just launched fyi

Yeah but it's not really classic with the updated mechanics. #Green99

Prahadigm24
12-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Phinny just launched fyi

Are you serious?

1. Phinigel is lightyears away from Classic. Only to name a few key differences: Completely different UI (e.g. zone maps!). Quicker experience gain, no hell levels, no class and race penalties. Instanced raiding. People can get a 40-slot satchel.

2. New expansions will unlock every 3 months. I mean come on, most classic players are 30 to 50 years old. If you want to enjoy each expansion in 3 months, you'll have to play 24/7. Which most of us cannot.

That's why my only hope is a new P1999 server.

Raev
12-31-2015, 05:38 PM
For better or worse, the very slow pace of P1999 is conducive to building armies of characters. If you've been here for 3-4 years, it's pretty straightforward to have 2-3 or more L60 toons, which then need gear, etc etc. The cool part about this is playing multiple classes and experiencing things in a different way (enchanter and monk are almost playing different games). The bad part is the rise of tunnelquest and everything being for sale etc.

Ultimately I think most of the people are wishing for this mystical version of classic everquest where they can 'do over' live only better. It's not going to happen. Zanderr is right that a new server will just have a new crew of neckbeards. The game will rapidly become overcrowded again, and the poopsocking will resume.

mgellan
12-31-2015, 06:51 PM

I would strongly suggest that no one be permitted to play on both servers at the same time - that way people who want the challenge of levelling up / server firsts etc. could play on that server and it would free up the top level congestion on P99 Blue for those of us not willing to relevel.

Regards,
Mg

Daywolf
12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
I think the plan is solid, the only thing that bothers are the inevitable name conflicts that will happen on a large scale when green merges into blue....so many green characters getting X appended to their name. People will have spent a couple years playing their characters and will have to reserve names on blue (which has a limited selection of cool names at this point) in anticipation of the merger if they don't want them modified!...I'm pretty sure the server could be scripted to do a multi-database check on taken/available names at character creation. First it would do a check of both databases and then write to the appropriate server db if the query returned 'available'. Then on an eventual merger there would be no conflicts.

Although, my opinion is that there should be no merger and the db of any new server should just be wiped at some pre-determined point, with players knowing full well a db wipe will happen at some point, knowing before they even start there. I always really disliked mergers on live, especially to regular servers from those instant max-level servers.

tristantio
01-01-2016, 12:38 AM
New servers are fun, a chance to race to the top, or at the least, play in poor gear (possible now, but more fun when mandatory).

ManuelThePopStar
01-01-2016, 12:46 AM
For better or worse, the very slow pace of P1999 is conducive to building armies of characters. If you've been here for 3-4 years, it's pretty straightforward to have 2-3 or more L60 toons, which then need gear, etc etc. The cool part about this is playing multiple classes and experiencing things in a different way (enchanter and monk are almost playing different games). The bad part is the rise of tunnelquest and everything being for sale etc.

Ultimately I think most of the people are wishing for this mystical version of classic everquest where they can 'do over' live only better. It's not going to happen. Zanderr is right that a new server will just have a new crew of neckbeards. The game will rapidly become overcrowded again, and the poopsocking will resume.

Except you wouldn't have 5 years of Kunark allowing every member of "certain guilds" to have a lvl 60 rogue warrior monk cleric and wizard they can park at every raid target.

And I'm sure thats the "cool part" when your guild is monopolizing 90% of the raid content so you can gear you 9 level 60 alts with BIS Velious gear, but for the other 80% if the server its fucking nonsense; and totally "nonclassical."

On Live most guilds were raiding Velious with the majority of their members in the level 57 to 59 range. VVVEEEERRRRYYY few people had two level 60s ( let along 8 of 9 of them)

Decad
01-01-2016, 02:47 AM
A new server would only result in the same poison endgame filled with neckbeards and at least 40% of the server population quitting the game.

Restarting a game that is 16 year old with already significant time invested is not what many would want to do.

And for those neckbeards, with more people gone u hv less people to show off your gear to and I bet many who claim they don't want Luclin or POP will still play on this server instead of quitting if Rogean and Nilborg decides to release it.

Nitsude
01-01-2016, 03:18 AM
If the server worked like the Diablo II ladder system, with the server wiping itself every so often, with old characters being moved to blue, the neckbeards wouldn't have nearly the same impact and the classic experience would be a bit more genuine.

Edit - though I think I heard in a stream that a server like that wasn't in the cards, unfortunately.

Prahadigm24
01-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Restarting a game that is 16 year old with already significant time invested is not what many would want to do.

"is not what many would want to do" - that's your claim. I think many would want to. Just watch the number of replies in this thread and read the posts for the reasons given.

thufir
01-01-2016, 08:14 AM
I think more what the OP is saying is that right now you can't find groups willing to go to the out-of-the-way places.

I played back when it was just Classic and I do have to say that was more fun. Every zone was full of groups you could find quite easily. Kedge even had groups going there.

Raiding was a cluster-fuck tho no doubt about that. 2 raid targets made it hell.

For some people (like myself) it's really taxing trying to compose a group for a new area to explore. Especially when 9 out of 10 players will ask "why?" when they can just go to the easy XP spots that aren't as camped.

Altho IMO what I miss most about Classic was the shit itemization. Getting "good enough" gear was pretty easy and attainable for just about everyone. Plus I miss seeing Obsidian Shards being the go-to tank weapon for Warriors.

/nostalgia off
Yeah OK, this I can see. It's just silly to say that you can't group and level up in different places even in this age of the game. I haven't had too much problem getting groups with tanks or healers even in some pretty out of the way spots. You don't need some kind of hermetically sealed bubble to avoid getting buffs, either - nobody's exactly available to buff you if you go to Kaesora or Kerra Isle, for example.

But if this is what OP was really driving at, sure, I buy it. I'd like to do it myself! I never did Classic era during Live, sadly. By the time I started playing seriously it was already in Kunark.

Decad
01-01-2016, 08:46 AM
"is not what many would want to do" - that's your claim. I think many would want to. Just watch the number of replies in this thread and read the posts for the reasons given.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps you are wrong. And using replies in this thread is definitely not an indicator when people can call other trolls or disregard others opinion when they want luclin or pop. And there is a number of new players that didn't play EQ that plays p99, no doubt they started on the server but that does not mean they would want to restart and grind to level 60 to compete against neckbeards

Daywolf
01-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Perhaps you are right, perhaps you are wrong. And using replies in this thread is definitely not an indicator when people can call other trolls or disregard others opinion when they want luclin or pop. And there is a number of new players that didn't play EQ that plays p99, no doubt they started on the server but that does not mean they would want to restart and grind to level 60 to compete against neckbeards
Well then those "neckbeards"... er players that dont want a wipe can play on blue.. heh or red whatever. So it gets Wiped every few years, so what, we'll always have blue to play on for a change with chars that may outlive us. It's just a game, and for many, progression can be fun, for more than you may think. What is the point in making just a Blue#2? We already got 1.

Prahadigm24
01-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Exactly! Those who don't want to restart can stay on P99 Blue and enjoy that they got rid of the "neckbeards".

Some people here claim that only a minority is interested in restarting. Why are you afraid, then? If you were right, P99 would remain healthy and the new server would fail quickly.

skorge
01-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Exactly! Those who don't want to restart can stay on P99 Blue and enjoy that they got rid of the "neckbeards".

Some people here claim that only a minority is interested in restarting. Why are you afraid, then? If you were right, P99 would remain healthy and the new server would fail quickly.

True EQ 99 had multiple servers, even when the game first launched and had low populations (I remember logging in during the first month on a weekday around lunch EST and seeing only 65 people online, on the Veeshan server). I figured for sure P99 would have at least 2 PVE servers by now.

The new server could follow the timeline from Vanilla to Velious more accurately than the server we have now, which is IMO way off from "classic" and will only get worse with time.

Don't get me wrong - the staff and devs have done a great job at making P99 an awesome experience but I think it's time to move on. They botched the server with the huge delay of Velious...it almost feels like they are more interested in keeping what they have (playing it safe) than doing things right and releasing a second server. This server will be more true to classic than the one we got now. No 3+ years of fungi tunic farming before Velious, etc.

I know a lot of players will be upset at a complete server wipe; there is always the option at having 2 servers going at once...if P99 doesn't do this it will be only a matter of time before someone else capitalizes on this opportunity...classic emus are popping up left and right, one is even in the works for Everquest Online Adventures. How do you think P99 came about?

thufir
01-01-2016, 04:20 PM
True EQ 99 had multiple servers, even when the game first launched and had low populations (I remember logging in during the first month on a weekday around lunch EST and seeing only 65 people online, on the Veeshan server). I figured for sure P99 would have at least 2 PVE servers by now.

The new server could follow the timeline from Vanilla to Velious more accurately than the server we have now, which is IMO way off from "classic" and will only get worse with time.

Don't get me wrong - the staff and devs have done a great job at making P99 an awesome experience but I think it's time to move on. They botched the server with the huge delay of Velious...it almost feels like they are more interested in keeping what they have (playing it safe) than doing things right and releasing a second server. This server will be more true to classic than the one we got now. No 3+ years of fungi tunic farming before Velious, etc.

I know a lot of players will be upset at a complete server wipe; there is always the option at having 2 servers going at once...if P99 doesn't do this it will be only a matter of time before someone else capitalizes on this opportunity...classic emus are popping up left and right, one is even in the works for Everquest Online Adventures. How do you think P99 came about?

Well, I hope somebody else does do it so we can stop reading about people who have quit here and want a new server.

I get that new servers are exciting and new and that people think the old one was "botched" somehow, but whenever I see shouts for "yeah release another one along the classic timeline" what I read is "I don't really care for the current server and I want a chance to race for 2 years and then pronounce it dead and move on."

Of course, that's OK! I just don't think a new server is going to be "true to classic" for any longer than 2 years. Along the live timeline, you get to Velious in 2 years. A year or two after that, tops, you'll have the same number of top guilds farming in NToV as you do now, you'll have all those farmed fungis for sale, etc. Same ol'. It's just a chance to get in at the bottom of a new cycle. That's fine, but that's all it is. It's still a cycle with an end in 3-4 years. And people still know all the shortcuts. Probably more so, now that they went through it (again) fairly recently.

nivikk
01-01-2016, 04:22 PM
5 years of kunark. people complaining 5 months into velious?

Prahadigm24
01-01-2016, 04:54 PM
We're not complaining. What the developers have created here is totally awesome! No reason to complain.

We're SUGGESTING it's time for a new server soon. Just because the old one has been running for more than 6 years.

wormed
01-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Because people had something to look forward to IN Kunark. Now that you're doing all that Velious has to offer with nothing to look forward to, it gets old quickly. Yea, sure, custom content... someday... maybe... sure... but no solid timeline.

Lojik
01-01-2016, 06:01 PM

People weren't calling for wipes before Velious?

mgellan
01-01-2016, 06:24 PM
P99 would remain healthy and the new server would fail quickly.

For the record I think the new server would be very successful pulling in a whole new crowd of people who want a classic experience, and especially those frustrated over the fast progression of the latest DBG server...

Regards,
Mg

Axlrose
01-01-2016, 09:01 PM
A wild suggestion - what if there was a mandatory retirement of an account once it reaches x years old?

iruinedyourday
01-01-2016, 11:52 PM
A wild suggestion - what if there was a mandatory retirement of an account once it reaches x years old?

gross what if i want to come back in 5 years after putting my life back together

Millburn
01-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Make a hardcore server and if you die your character gets moved onto blue with some sort of scarlet letter at the end of your name to let everyone know you're weak.

heartbrand
01-02-2016, 09:29 AM
They couldn't meet their own self desired deadline for a server where a permadeath box had to be checked and which was already set up. You really think any of these other ideas are happening? P99 is a great product with a product manager who is absentee pursuing other ideas. The ideal scenario would be if the reigns were handed over to someone invested in the project, but that will never happen. What you see is what you get pretty much here. Can't blame the guy, he put in eight plus years to EQ EMU for nothing but a non profit hobby, that's enough to burn out anyone.

Jadian
01-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Wait wtf is a "green" server? You have to smoke weed to make a character? I'd play on a stoner server...

white
01-03-2016, 11:47 PM
New server. Dont wipe the current one. You will see a mass influx of new players imo. #green99

Daywolf
01-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Really though, some have ideas (non-classic), but we have a blue and red already, so IMO it's time to make an FV classic server :D That is the missing server. Not the later revamped FV server, was stupid, but the classic FV server rule-set (aka the RP server but it was hard-mode too).

thufir
01-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Wait wtf is a "green" server? You have to smoke weed to make a character? I'd play on a stoner server...
How would that be different from this one?

Jadian
01-04-2016, 05:35 PM
How would that be different from this one?

I admit that most of the people I've met playing were stoners, but fuck did we all know somebody who sure fucking needed to smoke weed but didn't (Nizzar, Rallyd, Slathar, etc)

I'm still wondering wtf a green server is though.

thufir
01-04-2016, 05:54 PM
I admit that most of the people I've met playing were stoners, but fuck did we all know somebody who sure fucking needed to smoke weed but didn't (Nizzar, Rallyd, Slathar, etc)

I'm still wondering wtf a green server is though.
"Green" server is a fresh server that will do the same progression as blue, properly "time restricted", with the intention of being rolled into blue some time post-green-Velious. People really like that idea. The staff floated it during one sirken stream and seemed to have walked it back hard since, probably surmising (correctly, imo) that such a move would turn blue 99 into a ghost town until the re-merge.

Jadian
01-04-2016, 06:09 PM
"Green" server is a fresh server that will do the same progression as blue, properly "time restricted", with the intention of being rolled into blue some time post-green-Velious. People really like that idea. The staff floated it during one sirken stream and seemed to have walked it back hard since, probably surmising (correctly, imo) that such a move would turn blue 99 into a ghost town until the re-merge.

Thanks, so just a new but properly timelined blue server? I guess current population wise it makes some sense but I really wish they'd try to bring people back with a different type of server instead of ideas to divide the numbers they still have, that's a classic business mistake.

thufir
01-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks, so just a new but properly timelined blue server? I guess current population wise it makes some sense but I really wish they'd try to bring people back with a different type of server instead of ideas to divide the numbers they still have, that's a classic business mistake.
Yes, it is, which is why they were promoting Discord and, I'm sure, is part of the reason they are walking back green. Green clearly splits what they have on blue and doesn't bring in too many new folks.

MrMagu
01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
I'd like to add -- I just started P99 (blue server) -- First time -- I found out about it from a RPS article and jumped at the chance to play again.

I'm having a blast. The most I ever did in EQ live back in the day was play a few hours a week. I was pure casual, no friends. I played all the way up to level 36 back in the day.

I'm now lvl 9 on P99 and having a much better time than when I played on old live (loner, lol). I have a full set of cloth that's dropped off all the skels I've killed (nec) and still have my starting dagger. I sold a few HQ Bear Pelts to afford my spells. It's been so fun!

godsuc
01-04-2016, 10:16 PM
No need for a wipe, let those who want to play on the current server stay there.

But open a new blue server, this time with real classic. For those of us who remember, who were here when p1999 began, this current server started with translocators, Freeport sewers exploits, tradeskill exploits, platinum exploits, vendors selling Planes of Power items, quests people exploited to get to level 30 in 2 hours, etc. etc.

A new blue server, with actually almost classic beginnings, and with the authentic timeline, will be great.

fan D
01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
i cant wait for a new server, never got to play classic eq

mintmaster
01-05-2016, 02:59 PM
I started playing EQ in Feb 2001 and didn't discover p99 until just over a year ago. I just love the blue server but have never played a pre Kunark EQ. I think it would be a blast to start a new progression server especially with all the bugs and exploits already worked out. I was VERY disappointed with Ragefire and quickly returned to Blue. Will always play Blue but would like to start fresh with a pre Kunark unbugged server......what a unique idea.

Issar
01-05-2016, 07:12 PM
probably surmising (correctly, imo) that such a move would turn blue 99 into a ghost town until the re-merge.

Then why spin up a new server for Discord? That's like saying, "We want to create a new server, but we don't want anyone to play on it because we fear the blue server numbers would dip." Seems like a waste of resources, right? Kinda like that Red server over there...

thufir
01-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Then why spin up a new server for Discord? That's like saying, "We want to create a new server, but we don't want anyone to play on it because we fear the blue server numbers would dip." Seems like a waste of resources, right? Kinda like that Red server over there...

1) discord has substantially different rules from red server, and thus is not simply offering the same product / dividing the numbers they have
2) red is dead anyway; this is a chance to breathe some life into EQ PvP

SirAlvarex
01-05-2016, 07:20 PM

Hm interesting logic. If a new server opened up and every blue player except a skeletal few jumped ship wouldn't it mean that the player base supported such a decision?

With that said the server operators would have to double down on their monthly payments so that would be an issue for them. But if the economics were not an issue then a "Green" server that everyone would prefer to play sounds like a positive.

JurisDictum
01-05-2016, 07:46 PM

My idea is to release Luclin on the current blue, and then let those who really aren't attached to progressing their characters and raiding, to do a more classic time-line.

Luclin would likely sap all the hardcore raiders (or most) from the classic velious capped blue -- allowing a more classic atmosphere on that server. At the same time, raiders are going to want new content and will prob go for it despite all the "Cats on the Moon" bitching.

Now I know people are going to argue that some guild will dominate both servers...that simply doesn't happen. Once people pick a server they have very little motivation to stay hardcore on both. Maybe a few will play casually on one and more hardcore on the other, but things post velious are so time consuming that I doubt even that will happen much.

Daywolf
01-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Hm interesting logic. If a new server opened up and every blue player except a skeletal few jumped ship wouldn't it mean that the player base supported such a decision?

With that said the server operators would have to double down on their monthly payments so that would be an issue for them. But if the economics were not an issue then a "Green" server that everyone would prefer to play sounds like a positive.
It wont be double, just add unit/s onto the existing rack... or semi-rack space. More efficient units at that. And once discord is out there, they can shut down red, use the newer units for the new pve server shuffling discord to the old.

Also, doubt blue would die out, people like kunark and Vel, and from the recent twitch feed sounds like Rogean wants to make such a new pve server advance more slowly through the expansion release timeline. This would be smart, so both servers keep interest for a long time to come.

SirAlvarex
01-05-2016, 08:06 PM
It wont be double, just add unit/s onto the existing rack... or semi-rack space. More efficient units at that. And once discord is out there, they can shut down red, use the newer units for the new pve server shuffling discord to the old.

Also, doubt blue would die out, people like kunark and Vel, and from the recent twitch feed sounds like Rogean wants to make such a new pve server advance more slowly through the expansion release timeline. This would be smart, so both servers keep interest for a long time to come.

Well that's still phyiscal hardware that needs to be bought. But you're right if they still fit in their cage and are under their power consumption it's just the one-time buy and they don't eat a higher monthly fee.

Plus if they're using virtualized hardware (which I think I read a few years ago they were) then it's even easier to launch a new set of hosts.

Issar
01-06-2016, 01:31 AM
1) discord has substantially different rules from red server, and thus is not simply offering the same product / dividing the numbers they have
2) red is dead anyway; this is a chance to breathe some life into EQ PvP

Making an extremely less forgiving environment where people will be pushed away from the server even faster than Red already does, doesn't exactly scream "breathing new life." :) It certainly won't attract new players.

I disagree with the idea of spinning up the Green server will divide the players. I'm guessing a large percentage of bluebies will start playing on Green when/if it goes live. So yes, the population of blue will decline... somewhat. However, they're still living on the same hardware, so they're not exactly leaving. In fact, a Green server that occurs on the live timeline will most certainly attract new players and retirees of P99. Not to mention, players will be able to box a Green toon and a Blue toon, so it's not like Blue will become a ghost town.

The proclaimed goal of P99 is to recreate EverQuest's classic era as closely as possible to the original. Launching the game on the classic timeline is necessary to achieve this goal. Being that the true classic timeline has a shelf life means that this server should as well. Blue has a significant amount of hours played of player investment and there's no reason that it should be wiped to achieve the goal, which is where the Green server comes in.

Issar
01-06-2016, 01:34 AM
Well that's still phyiscal hardware that needs to be bought. But you're right if they still fit in their cage and are under their power consumption it's just the one-time buy and they don't eat a higher monthly fee.

Plus if they're using virtualized hardware (which I think I read a few years ago they were) then it's even easier to launch a new set of hosts.

I may be wrong, but IIRC the current infrastructure that houses the P99 servers has plenty resources to handle an additional server. It's likely just the cost of spinning up a new VM.

heartbrand
01-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Discord is going the way of teams at this point and is never coming out. Some green might respond and call me a troll or whatever but they did the exact same thing with teams and here we are almost THREE YEARS LATER. The same project where they told us on red "null is working on it" six months after null had already quit! Something may happen one day, but don't count on it.

fastboy21
01-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Discord is going the way of teams at this point and is never coming out. Some green might respond and call me a troll or whatever but they did the exact same thing with teams and here we are almost THREE YEARS LATER. The same project where they told us on red "null is working on it" six months after null had already quit! Something may happen one day, but don't count on it.

troll

heartbrand
01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
I heard its broke. I heard it will be broke.