PDA

View Full Version : The Great the hardcore and the Ugly- Sell it to my friends

Engraverwilliam
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm in a discussion on my old SWG clan board trying to convince some of my buddies there to come to the place that started it all.

list for me if you will what makes P99 great and I will paste it there.

Plus I think it is a good topic for discussion.

hard core:
You lose your stuff if you don't get your corpse back.
No (yellow trail or arrow) pointing you to your quest destination.
back to basics graphics
cant just solo everything

the cool:
Awesome community
Awesome dev team
stable server
stable economy
free to play

what else can I add?

Dr4z3r
11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Since getting it set up right requires actually following instructions, and since people playing here tend to be looking for a serious game or have done it before, the players really tend to know what they're doing, and even moreso as you get to higher levels, where really screwing up can set you back a LOT.

Lazortag
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Since getting it set up right requires actually following instructions, and since people playing here tend to be looking for a serious game or have done it before, the players really tend to know what they're doing, and even moreso as you get to higher levels, where really screwing up can set you back a LOT.

Warriors who use Painbringer in BnB at level 40+ say otherwise. The bad players definitely outnumber the good.

Davionx
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
If they never played original eq on release then dont even bother trying imo.

Lazortag
11-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Well, I dunno about that. Lots of people can have appreciation for classic eq even if it's not what they're used to. No harm in trying.

Midnight
11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Surely everyone that came to the MMO scene after us cannot be complete idiots...can they!?

Engraverwilliam
11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
These guys and gals are most definitely NOT idiots. We are talking about some of the coolest folks you ever met. DotA FL! A lot of them play multiple MMO's WoW SWG STO COH LOTRO...you name it.

Dantes
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Good luck. I brought 5 friends with me when I started. 2 of them went apeshit and played like every day, leveling WAY faster than me. Now they are burnt out and they don't even play any more. The other 2 quit before they even reached level 3.

Davionx
11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Surely everyone that came to the MMO scene after us cannot be complete idiots...can they!?

Has nothing to do with being good or horrible and everything to do with GCD, levelling speed, graphics and gameplay.

Midnight
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Has nothing to do with being good or horrible and everything to do with GCD, levelling speed, graphics and gameplay.

OK...just saw a guy complaining about how he forgot how insuferable the leveling was in this game...think I'm glad I stopped playing MMOs before they went into "easy" mode...though I still want to give Live a go before I burn out again

BTW...I feel dumb, but GCD?

Estu
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
BTW...I feel dumb, but GCD?

Greatest common denominator, of course. ;)

Midnight
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Greatest common denominator, of course. ;)

DOH! Thought it might be more MMO specific :eek:

Estu
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I meant greatest common divisor, though. Durr. Also, that was a joke. I have no idea what he meant.

Midnight
11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I meant greatest common divisor, though. Durr. Also, that was a joke. I have no idea what he meant.

CURSES! Foiled again...

Cruise
11-30-2010, 10:07 PM

every bone in my body wishes this wasn't the case, but i have to agree. my friends who played EQ classic absolutely love p99, but all the rest think i'm psychotic for enjoying it.

xshayla701
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Good luck. I brought 5 friends with me when I started. 2 of them went apeshit and played like every day, leveling WAY faster than me. Now they are burnt out and they don't even play any more. The other 2 quit before they even reached level 3.

Is the 5th still playing? :)

Estu
11-30-2010, 11:16 PM

We do have a few players on this server who never played on live (notable example: Tralina. Well, she played on live for like three hours.), but they are pretty few and far between.

Baa
12-01-2010, 12:21 AM
I have a friend who plays - first time to any MMO.

We have sort of levelled most of the way together but now that we are in the mid 30's he is starting to out level me (I am SK and he is a mage), and now being more confident he just goes off and does his own thing (finds his own groups etc...).

I had to invest a lot of time teaching him how to play and where to go but now he is good. May not be up to the level of existing players especially with things like gear but he has the basic mechanics down pretty well.

Kich
12-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Ya, I tried to get my friends into it, they're not down. Ironically one of them plays Dark Ages--a game perhaps older with worse graphics and overall is like, kind of a step below (there's very limited gear in the game)--but he can't stand EQ.

The first person aspect bothers some people (and with limited/poor 3rd person view support), the graphics, the incredibly simple combat system, etc. There's actually a lot to not like about the game.

But for me, it's the item system, the world...no one ever really built a world that felt as alive as Norrath. I like that the game isn't instanced (not yet), and that there aren't necessarily "bosses" in the game, just rare spawns. I don't like looking at rare enemies as bosses because developers tend to make them very ... linear. LGuk has a lot of rare mobs, they all have their own rooms, and they all drop cool shit. The fact that the game's better loot revolves primarily around rare spawns and not instanced dungeons (and that almost all gear is able to be traded with no level requirement) is what makes the game fun for me.

t0lkien
12-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Ya, I tried to get my friends into it, they're not down. Ironically one of them plays Dark Ages--a game perhaps older with worse graphics and overall is like, kind of a step below (there's very limited gear in the game)--but he can't stand EQ.

DAoC was a while after EQ actually. It went (Meridian 59 etc.) -> Ultima Online -> EverQuest -> DAoC

The first person aspect bothers some people (and with limited/poor 3rd person view support), the graphics, the incredibly simple combat system, etc. There's actually a lot to not like about the game.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about EQ? The 3rd person view is the same as any other MMO, plus it has 1st person if you mouse wheel in (though the melee bobbing makes it tough to deal with during combat).

But for me, it's the item system, the world...no one ever really built a world that felt as alive as Norrath. I like that the game isn't instanced (not yet), and that there aren't necessarily "bosses" in the game, just rare spawns. I don't like looking at rare enemies as bosses because developers tend to make them very ... linear. LGuk has a lot of rare mobs, they all have their own rooms, and they all drop cool shit. The fact that the game's better loot revolves primarily around rare spawns and not instanced dungeons (and that almost all gear is able to be traded with no level requirement) is what makes the game fun for me.

Lots of bosses in EQ, but they are raid bosses. For single/group play, the nameds are awesome I agree :) EQ got a lot of things right (as did UO which EQ borrowed heavily from). It's still the best game I've ever played.

Rahnza
12-01-2010, 07:56 AM

If you're talking about Dark Ages of Camelot then you're a bit off. Like stated above, it came out after EQ, and the graphics are definitely superior. I was actually blown away by the graphics when I played DAOC on release, and the loading system ("bubble") was revolutionary - there were very few times where you zoned and yet the game ran lag free on even the worst systems and internet connections, even during huge 100+ player PVP skirmishes.

Yeah, itemization is kinda poor in DAOC but that's because it's not a PVE/gear focused game like EQ. The point was once you got to 50, you'd get your end tier crafted set and fill in with some named / DF items that didn't take nearly as long to get as the best items in games like EQ. And then you went out and PVPed in a game where skill actually mattered, instead of the gear you farmed.

When PVE / gear became a focal point in DAOC the game went dramatically downhill.

thefloydian
12-01-2010, 08:21 AM

I wouldn't say DAoC is a step below. The focus isn't really on acquiring new gear because it's more of a PVP game.

Maneuk
12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
The original zeitgeist of this game was to group, and to get friends.
From level 1 to 4, say, you learn to play your class, and questing in general. If you die, you appear right back in your home town, and take a few steps to get your stuff (except for erudites- lol).

This means after you learn your class you then need to meet others to group with and take down slightly larger targets.

From 4-8 this is made clear as you venture out and learn how annoying it is to have to run naked to your corpse, this lesson never leaves you and is repeated.

Once you get bored with the local stuff, that is when meeting people and making friends comes important, because then.....you get together and the mere act of traveling through lands frought with peril and you must travel with a group. Just delivering mail is an adventure.

And you get to a point, maybe halfway across West Karana, or in the South desert of Ro where you and your tween/teen selves look ahead, or look back and thinking- geez it's a long way back home but I want to see what is ahead there....That is the point, that is the moment, that is the time when you play/hunt to live.

And if only one person dies that is a good thing and discussions regarding logistics (who can/cannot invis, who can run faster or help run faster)
are made as to who else will go back to meet the fallen comrade/partner/guildmate/group buddy/or dare I say it...friend, and most every time followed by the remaining members saying " don't worry, we will protect your corpse until you get here"

And it is at that point, that moment, that time where you not only play to live, but play for a purpose, as you play not only for the drops, but more importantly, for the person, the comrade/partner/guildmate/group buddy/Friend.

The flavor of the remaining group protecting your corpse while you run as they take on an adversary that wandered in and live is an added bonus and reminds you of the experience (pardon the pun) you missed but realize as a group what you are capable of. From there it just grows.
And I haven't even touched on what you learn ....in dungeons. (or rather, how enchanters and other crowd controlers- EVEN RANGERS become your best friends- lol)

guineapig
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
We do have a few players on this server who never played on live (notable example: Tralina. Well, she played on live for like three hours.), but they are pretty few and far between.

I have to disagree. I am constantly getting asked the most mundane questions while in groups or just random tells from people. Things that should be common knowledge about the game.

This doesn't bother me at all mind you, but I'm often surprised as to how many people I have encountered who have NEVER stepped foot on Norrath before P99.

TJHooker
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=t0lkien;182910]
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about EQ? The 3rd person view is the same as any other MMO, plus it has 1st person if you mouse wheel in (though the melee bobbing makes it tough to deal with during combat).

QUOTE]

No, the 3rd person view stinks, no way to follow the terain so you can't see up or down when you need to easilly. You have to switch to 1st person view to see down many steps.

TJHooker
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Classic EQ is actually very boring, it gets better in Kunark. Now every thing is perma camped and there are not that many cool items in the game. Most of the zones are very lame too. I got to 50 in like a month and a half with no help and now I am more or less waiting for Kunark.

t0lkien
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
No, the 3rd person view stinks, no way to follow the terain so you can't see up or down when you need to easilly. You have to switch to 1st person view to see down many steps.

Might be something wrong with your setup. 3rd person in EQ is basically the same as in any other game I've ever played, including WoW (without the auto follow cam). I can see fine everywhere *shrug*

jeffd
12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
list for me if you will what makes P99 great and I will paste it there.

the cool:
Awesome community
stable economy

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/statler_waldorf.jpg

dooooo ho ho ho

guineapig
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Statler and Waldorf for teh win!