PDA

View Full Version : what class combo do you suggest?

keithig3
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
A friend and I are rolling some chars on blue and would like your opinion on what combo would be cool. Unconventional suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

rollin5k
01-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Troll Warrior and dark elf rogue. Warrior will use the taunt ability and innate regen to tank endlessly while the rogue does tons of damage. Should get you to level 20 or even 60 really fast

Man0warr
01-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Not the greatest duo unless you have a 3rd to heal you.

icedwards
01-06-2016, 10:09 PM
The more conventional duos are monk and shaman, or cleric and enchanter. You're not really breaking the mold with either of these, but they'll take you to 60 with no problem and open a bunch of camps for farming plat down the road.

rollin5k
01-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Half elf Paladin and half elf ranger , paladin can tank and heal endlessly while ranger takes headshots with the bow. You can both have mustaches and miley Cyrus haircuts.

Kowalski
01-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Dwarf cleric / Iksar necro

Ivory
01-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Well, first off you are limited by gnomes only being able to be war/rogue/wiz/ench/mage/nec/cleric......(because obviously you both need to be gnomes, obviously).

I would go ....necromancer (tank necromancer, of course)....andddd, another tank necromancer!!! Both using pets!! Both meleeing!! both lifetapping if you get low!!!

Ennewi
01-06-2016, 10:43 PM
enchanter and druid
combo equates to having clarity, sow, haste, slows and ports at your disposal
plenty of mobility, little if any downtime
both can charm
damage shield and runes are a plus, along with the fact that snare and root stack
if you still get beat on, druid can heal sufficiently
druid track should allow you to pick and choose mobs, not sure if the range is all that great or not but it got an increase with velious
if you want to be even more unconventional, have the druid be a half elf

Daywolf
01-06-2016, 10:50 PM
didn't say what for so drui/drui evo/alt spec. Good DD and group friendly buffs.

OPM
01-06-2016, 11:35 PM
cant go wrong with shaman/monk, heals/buffs from the sham and tanking/dps from the monk

fan D
01-06-2016, 11:39 PM
DOUBLE MAGE

lotsa fun

master the elements!

keithig3
01-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Hah thanks for the entertaining answers. My friend is set on playing a mage, which leaves me with many choices. What do you guys think?

Nuggie
01-07-2016, 12:24 AM
2 chanters

Issar
01-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Pally/Sk

Sage Truthbearer
01-07-2016, 01:26 AM
Mage + Shaman

It's a fun duo, and easily adapts to a great trio or full group.

nothsa
01-07-2016, 01:44 AM
chanter cleric, its just so fast post 50 and you can do some zany stuff, and if a good camp opens up that or you want to have a more conventional group you have the core there.

Lowlife
01-07-2016, 02:52 AM
2 troll SKs, one tanks the other taps to heal then swap, get 4 more friends to also roll troll SKs

fear kite, one responsible for casting darkness, one casting fear, each cast a dot

stunlock bashes, time them like a CH chain.

6 man synched harm touch.

6 SK pets.

never wipe because everyone can feign.

fadetree
01-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Pally, Druid, or Shaman/Ranger. Tons of fun. Will you be quickest to 60? Who cares.

kilmoll
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
bard and monk/rogue

Shaniril
01-07-2016, 11:57 AM
SK/Ranger

...it's better than it sounds.
...a lot better.

Pope Hat
01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Bard wizard. Bard kites like normal and wiz does pbaoe when the train comes along. I've never tried this, I wonder is the wiz would just get stomped? =p

Raev
01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
I feel like in Velious the classes are much more balanced than they were in Kunark.

Druids are junk in Kunark but pretty decent in Velious (POTG, animals in most zones for charm, ATK debuffs, Chloroblast, etc).

Pal/SK/Rng got the elimination of XP penalties, way more spells, faster spellcasting, better skillcaps, and easy-to-obtain super high AC dwarf armor. Combined those are a huge boost.

Mages will (hopefully) get an easier epic quest.

Necros are a mixed boat (practically no undead in velious, zero good spells) but they also benefit from the removal of magic immunity to raid mobs.

TLDR: you really don't have to level War/Mnk/Rog/Enc/Shm/Clr every single time any more.

Daldaen
01-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Bard wizard. Bard kites like normal and wiz does pbaoe when the train comes along. I've never tried this, I wonder is the wiz would just get stomped? =p

Denons is actually substantial aggro.

Drop the train to 80% with just the bard and then have wizard come in for 1-2 PBAEs. Zone wizard out (most kites happen near zonelines) and back in the reset aggro.

If your bard abilities are hit or miss, having the bard do the first 80% and then always outrunning them while the wizard repeats the above, casting 1-2 PBAEs then zoning, until the train is dead is a safe way of making sure you don't die from a simple mistake. While the bard is doing the first 20% of aggro building have the wizard just buff the bard for proxy aggro on the train incase bard dies, so that wizard can kite around til bard returns. As any bard can Tell you, the most tedious part of AE kiting is gathering that train.

I've done this in Burning Woods. Got a train down to 80%, had a friend log on my 60 wizard who was parked there to cast 1 PBAE, zone off to Skyfire, and repeat, until the train died. Was 5x faster than just using bard.

indiscriminate_hater
01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
bard-enchanter would be super fun, cheapest to gear, and with great potential for both fast leveling and elite farming later on. good indoors and outdoors

Pope Hat
01-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks dald, I thought I might be on to something!

Balur
01-07-2016, 12:41 PM
A friend and I are rolling some chars on blue and would like your opinion on what combo would be cool. Unconventional suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

If these are your first characters, roll casters. Gear is expensive on this server so your best bet is to go with gear-independent pet classes, which means mage, necro, or enchanter. If one of you doesn't mind playing a class with a high skill cap, go enchanter and mage or necro. If you both want to cruise to 60 on autopilot, go mage and necro.

chief
01-07-2016, 01:37 PM
bard+bard ae kite to 60 in a month np

Bionic
01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
bard+bard ae kite to 60 in a month np

I have a bard on blue that I mess around with sometimes.

I can't tell you how many times I've had folks go off on me in OOC threatening to petition me for "zone disruption", even when I'm being cool and only kiting 6-10 mobs.

If you go bard on blue, be prepared for some heavy harassment. :)

thufir
01-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I kinda like cleric-mage. Big heals plus large damage shields is kinda like powerleveling yourselves. The fire pet DS is OP early on (the level 4 pet can have up to an 8 point DS). The cleric part of the duo will also help you get groups.

Juevento
01-07-2016, 03:39 PM
For odd ball (but effective) combos, you could go Druid/rogue or ranger/necro. Both essentially involve snare or fear kiting. But I would suspect you'd have a good time playing either option. Since there is very little down time involved.

fadetree
01-07-2016, 04:32 PM
SK/Ranger

...it's better than it sounds.
...a lot better.

There's no pet better than a RangerPet. Plus ranger gear is cheap. Necro/Ranger is cool too, because heals.

Daywolf
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
If these are your first characters, roll casters. Gear is expensive on this server so your best bet is to go with gear-independent pet classes, which means mage, necro, or enchanter. If one of you doesn't mind playing a class with a high skill cap, go enchanter and mage or necro. If you both want to cruise to 60 on autopilot, go mage and necro.More depends on what you play and how you play it. imo casters can be fairly expensive up front, considering gear and spells, for starting out. I think priests are the cheap date throughout the game. Melee and tanks start cheap, get more expensive over time. But that is all in general, as it still depends on how you play them. Race is a consideration too depending on armor size etc.

thufir
01-07-2016, 07:54 PM
More depends on what you play and how you play it. imo casters can be fairly expensive up front, considering gear and spells, for starting out. I think priests are the cheap date throughout the game. Melee and tanks start cheap, get more expensive over time. But that is all in general, as it still depends on how you play them. Race is a consideration too depending on armor size etc.

I don't think I agree with this. All my casters and priests basically get by with what they collect from their adventures. My enchanter in particular was able to (mostly) solo up to his current level (a little grouping, but the rest charm/animation soloing) with nothing but stuff he got on drops and a stein of moggok he quested for himself. You can pick and choose which spells you acquire if you're feeling a money pinch on the int casters.

My tanks (shadowknight, paladin, warrior), on the other hand, have all required a pretty reasonable investment in gear at some point early on. I scraped by to 13 on the warrior with rawhide, a vendor long sword, and vendor shield, but I was really feeling it, and ended up sinking a bunch of cash into him to get him up to speed on things like crafted armor and decent 1h weapons. Contrast this to the enchanter where I have been doing, and still can do, awesome things even at 30 in damask and other junk gear.

So yeah, I'd go with the initial advice and try some caster or priest class, ideally with a pet, if this is your first character on the server. My first was the aforementioned shadowknight, and I don't regret it, but I did make things harder for myself by picking one. I rolled a mage recently and by selling bone chips for 5p a stack I was able to get every spell I wanted early going and just keep the ball rolling without any other investments.

scooter
01-07-2016, 08:06 PM
I recommend Shaman.

Just 1 of them

Daywolf
01-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I don't think I agree with this.Sure if you run around meleeing your mobs with a caster it starts out cheap. But if you want to keep up with a near nekid melee class to start, you need more than just newbie drop armor. imo even harder to solo that way, say as for an enc that just really needs a fair stat item or two by the teens if grouping, while solo it makes a difference if your gear is well rounded.

As for living off drops, no one does that unless punishing themselves. It's great when you pick up something you can actually use, and that is actually fair/good, but to really gather much of your gear that way takes a lot of travel and time since good drop equipment is fairly scattered, while finding plats is less time consuming. Of course there is quest equipment, which takes work and travel too, but then not every class/race has it as good as others with available quests. This is one reason why I offered the disclaimer, that it depends on the what and how. But the more traditional/common play, casters can see a disadvantage compared to other classes. It's why we all don't just roll casters.

anyhoot, on a related note to the topic, I wonder what would be the worst duo. ranger/wizard? Back early on live I had a wizard friend and we'd duo waiting for groups, it could get painful. In groups we worked well though, I could manage to keep him alive with a little CC where most wizzies would go on unnoticed until he was giving a return eta over group chat :D

Qtip
01-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Enchanter and shaman

Landael
01-07-2016, 08:49 PM
ooo worst duo sounds fun! Myself back in live Classic was playing a bard and my friend was a druid. We were doing aviaks in SK and Lake Rathe I remember. Also had remember duoing with a warrior at SK spires.

thufir
01-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Sure if you run around meleeing your mobs with a caster it starts out cheap. But if you want to keep up with a near nekid melee class to start, you need more than just newbie drop armor.

This isn't my experience, and let's just leave it at that since you seem to think it is. I don't really know what else to tell you. My junk gear casters do things that I wouldn't even conceive of doing with much better equipped tanks or melee dps; you don't need anything to solo effectively as an enchanter even as you gain levels. It's how the game is designed.

Daywolf
01-08-2016, 08:24 PM
This isn't my experience, and let's just leave it at that since you seem to think it is. We could leave it at that...

I don't really know what else to tell you. My junk gear casters do things that I wouldn't even conceive of doing with much better equipped tanks or melee dps; you don't need anything to solo effectively as an enchanter even as you gain levels. It's how the game is designed...Oh wait, but you're not... heh. You mean me leave it at that and you go on and on uh-huh :rolleyes:

I've seen caster like you describe, constantly face down in the dirtnap position, oh yeah. Well, apart from the few that kept just enough mana to gate out if they are lucky to avoid getting disrupted as the casting timer bar moves. But hopefully you have a priest around to increase your movement speed or toss you a heal, or a half nekid melee with taunt and the health pool to absorb the mobs as you run :o

Even clerics in leather are less squishy or not as prone to dirtnaps when things don't go quite as intended (soloish vs undead anyway). But even then, they loose little to no xp. Seriously, we'd all be playing casters if they were so great.

Man0warr
01-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Necro is the most played class on the server (and probably the one a lot of people get to 50 or 60 first, along with druid), and they don't need any gear. They can get all the gear they need solo.

Daywolf
01-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Necro is the most played class on the server (and probably the one a lot of people get to 50 or 60 first, along with druid), and they don't need any gear. They can get all the gear they need solo.
I've always considered necros misclassified. Dark priests.

Raev
01-08-2016, 09:54 PM
I really don't see how anyone can dispute that melee gain more from gear than casters. Caster itemization in classic EQ is simply terrible. I mean, lets think about this:

Classic: casters get pure stat gear, it's pointless
Kunark: VP/Epic clickies are nice, but meh
Velious: FT is +1-3 mana per tick (+3-10%). OK, we're getting warmer.
Luclin: Finally Verant implements focus effects and gear starts to matter.

thufir
01-08-2016, 10:10 PM
I really don't see how anyone can dispute that melee gain more from gear than casters. Caster itemization in classic EQ is simply terrible.

Yeah, I played a wizard to 59 in velious era, never much cared about gear. The gains are miniscule on nearly all items you could pick up.

Other classes are part of defeating dungeon/raid content and all that, which is why people play them. But if you want to solo with nothing but junk, casters are for you.

Daywolf
01-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I played a wizard to 59 in velious era, never much cared about gear. The gains are miniscule on nearly all items you could pick up.

Other classes are part of defeating dungeon/raid content and all that, which is why people play them. But if you want to solo with nothing but junk, casters are for you.
Which game?
Meanwhile a ranger can level with just a couple 1h swords and non-stat food and water, going nearly non-stop since the tiny mana pool still wont 0m as quickly as a caster which heavily relies on mana. Casters the master race, nope. Actual mechanics tend to try to balance things out, but in different ways. That's this game.

lowner411
01-08-2016, 11:07 PM
So, from all these answers, you have a lot of options, and you've raised a pretty classic debate. It comes down to what you and your friend want to play. Caster types and healer types tend to spent time sitting down waiting for their mana to return, tank types need healing, as do melee types, but they also need to avoid getting hit.

So basically you want a tank type (warrior, sk, pally) or a pet type (mage, necro, or if you are creative, a enchanter) to keep the monster's attention and do some damage, and another character to support the tank type and do more damage or mitigate damage. Druids provide the most versatility as a support class, but many would prefer a shaman. Bards are also versatile, don't provide healing immediate healing, but do a lot of other things second best.

So if you choose compliments that you like to play, then you should have no trouble having fun. I recommend playing what you want. I've duo'ed a bard necro before, and that's fun. A shadowknight shaman would be a classic combination, and you could both be trolls or ogres. Some of the more exotic groups work well in particular situations, but not others. You might want to start in the same city, so that you don't have to travel at the beginning and there are no race/faction issues.

Hope that helps.

Rivthis
01-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Have no plat

Cleric Enchanter or Necro Shaman

Have some plat

Ranger SK

Pokesan
01-09-2016, 02:13 AM
do tomato/tomato and win every time all the time

Ahldagor
01-09-2016, 03:39 AM
Dwarf cleric / Iksar necro

especially in unrest

thufir
01-09-2016, 05:44 AM
I really don't see how anyone can dispute that melee gain more from gear than casters. Caster itemization in classic EQ is simply terrible. I mean, lets think about this:

Classic: casters get pure stat gear, it's pointless
Kunark: VP/Epic clickies are nice, but meh
Velious: FT is +1-3 mana per tick (+3-10%). OK, we're getting warmer.
Luclin: Finally Verant implements focus effects and gear starts to matter.

Even FT is only the absolute top end stuff in Velious. Generally, unless you raid high end things, you'll never see any.

Izmael
01-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Enchanter - druid: snare + charm = easy quick safe exp, great group appeal at higher levels
Necro - necro: easy quick safe exp in undead zones, no group appeal
Troll SK - troll shaman: fun, lots of places you can go, few things you cannot kill, good group appear
Enchanter - enchanter: different and fun (did that with a friend, had a BLAST). Gets you to 55ish in no time. At higher levels, two encs are redundant in groups, but a single enc has great group appeal of course
Iksar shaman / iksar monk: something just sounds right about this setup

Lojik
01-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Iks nec and iks shm...great synergy. At low levels the nec will carry you guys, and at high level the shaman really starts to shine. Low levels shaman is kinda weak, but get yourself an initiate symbol of cazic thule and the shm can keep all undead feared while the nec sticks pet and snares. Just get the shm a decent melee weapon. Tons of great undead places to kill near cab, and with the Warrens the symbol quest is easy now. If I'm on I can probably get you the faction you need in 1 hour. There are good undead to fear kite up through 53 or 54, by which time the shaman will be very strong. While shaman can be expensive if you want to be a solo god,they don't take much to be a great duo partner.

tyrant49333
01-09-2016, 10:28 AM
If no money : cleric and enchanter

If money : Ogre shaman and iksar monk

/thread

Lojik
01-09-2016, 11:36 AM
If no money : cleric and enchanter

If money : Ogre shaman and iksar monk

/thread

I think clr/enc is best duo 50+, but if they're both just starting on server the first few levels could be kinda rough. A lot of making it to 60 is about not getting bored and quitting.

Roonskee
01-09-2016, 01:39 PM
go bard mage

keithig3
01-09-2016, 02:02 PM
How does that combo work out roonskee?

Issar
01-09-2016, 03:08 PM
It's been 3 days. What did you guys roll? Inquiring minds need to know!

Pope Hat
01-09-2016, 03:21 PM
It's been 3 days. What did you guys roll? Inquiring minds need to know!
I'd like to know too!

keithig3
01-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Haven't decided yet lol O_O

bktroost
01-09-2016, 05:16 PM
You can do mage and shaman. I'm tearing it up right now at puppets with that duo since the mage pets have more innate HP than monks do. My epic pet had 4k base hp+focus+riotous+Aego from a passing cleric= 5.7k hp. 60 monks will get close to 5k but they have higher AC and avoidance skills.

Anyway, Mages rule! Monks drool!

captnamazing
01-09-2016, 05:56 PM
paladin/rogue!

onarrot4000
01-10-2016, 03:07 AM
iksar shaman / iksar monk suuuper fun ! ! !

applesauce25r624
01-10-2016, 03:49 AM
I have a bard on blue that I mess around with sometimes.

I can't tell you how many times I've had folks go off on me in OOC threatening to petition me for "zone disruption", even when I'm being cool and only kiting 6-10 mobs.

If you go bard on blue, be prepared for some heavy harassment. :)

they are just jelly

the biggest GM enforcer of bards is gone

disregard those haters and acquire exp

tortue ninja
01-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Monk and necro for the challenge
Both can fd, both can pull, both can dps, both can tank, both can heal
no way u can wipe with that combo but if u do necro can rezz u up!
Necro can ivu and dmf, it will help to go deep in dunjeon.

quido
01-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Tortue, I'd go deep in your dunjeon.

Daywolf
01-10-2016, 10:04 AM
They prolly went ranger/ranger combo. Tah get teh RP scene goin.
/shout Ranger down!

Uuruk
01-10-2016, 01:27 PM
You can do mage and shaman. I'm tearing it up right now at puppets with that duo since the mage pets have more innate HP than monks do. My epic pet had 4k base hp+focus+riotous+Aego from a passing cleric= 5.7k hp. 60 monks will get close to 5k but they have higher AC and avoidance skills.

Anyway, Mages rule! Monks drool!

My Ham Sandwich can tank something that is shaman slowed. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Lojik
01-10-2016, 01:28 PM
My Ham Sandwich can tank something that is shaman slowed. Congratulations on your accomplishment.

I still haven't been to pom, is there a ham sandwich npc?? That zone is so silly

Kushie
01-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Well, first off you are limited by gnomes only being able to be war/rogue/wiz/ench/mage/nec/cleric......(because obviously you both need to be gnomes, obviously).

I would go ....necromancer (tank necromancer, of course)....andddd, another tank necromancer!!! Both using pets!! Both meleeing!! both lifetapping if you get low!!!

Tuljin
01-11-2016, 12:31 PM
paladin/rogue!

Lots of fun and now there's no XP penalty. I duoed Ghoul Arch Magi in LGuk with this combo when Arch Magi was white con at 45 and the rogue with me was lvl 43. Paladin can calm pull 3-spawns and root pull two spawns then hold agro while the rogue shreds. Caster mobs are a joke with bash and stun.

-Catherin-
01-11-2016, 02:17 PM
2 chanters

pretty much this. Cleric/Chanter is safer but good chanters dont need clerics and a duo of chanters will wreck.

Sorn
01-11-2016, 03:06 PM
chanters dont need clerics

Lies. Even the best enchanters need rezzes when they die soloing two camps in Velks.

Spyder73
01-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Im not reading through all of this, so maybe this has been suggested. But one of my favorite combos on P99 is Necro/Monk. You can both FD to move in deep to dungeons, necro can heal some and do good damage, you can fear kite outside mobs to death NP, its really quite good. Necro heals are nothing to laugh at

Jarlon
01-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Im not reading through all of this, so maybe this has been suggested. But one of my favorite combos on P99 is Necro/Monk. You can both FD to move in deep to dungeons, necro can heal some and do good damage, you can fear kite outside mobs to death NP, its really quite good. Necro heals are nothing to laugh at

Above poster clearly didnt read the whole thread.

Spyder73
01-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Above poster clearly didnt read the whole thread.

Shaman and Necro is quite potent as well - maybe stronger than monk/necro

iruinedyourday
01-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Druid Rogue is unconventional and amazing.

how about.. um.. bard rogue? also unconventional and amazing. um...