PDA

View Full Version : First character: Rogue. Is this a mistake?

Cruise
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
My first and only character here is a level 9 rogue. I don't have many issues getting into groups, and I'm using a spear from a Misty Thicket deputy as my weapon. Doing fine right now, but I've heard that leveling a rogue without twinking it is ridiculously difficult. Am I going to be better off rolling something else (I prefer melee, so I guess monk?) then twinking my rogue later?

I realize that with enough perseverance you can do just about anything, but I don't want my first leveling experience on P1999 to be painful.

RapidScotch
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure why everyone wants to do the easy way out, just play whatever you like. Everyone had to start with nothing at some point. Rogue isn't that hard to gear as you go.

azeth
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
It's all perspective. If your intent is to fly through levels to hit 50 in preparation for Kunark/to join a raid guild, then yes you'll find it's a slow process and likely that while there are groups out there, there aren't enough of them for everybody.

On the other hand, if you're just looking to relive some of the original EQ thrill, play what you want and I'm sure you'll love it.

Also! I'm sure I can find some gear for you to start out with if you see me online.

guineapig
12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Not at all difficult. Just save your coppers and make smart purchases.
As you stated, groups are easy to get for your class and you can travel more freely with hide/sneak (albeit slowly).

Nobody is going to be parsing your DPS in exp groups so it's not like you have to have the best piercer in the game asap. When this server launched it wasn't uncommon to see rogues using fine steel well into their 30's.

Leveling up comes first, money comes easier the higher level you get. Pick the right spots to find groups in where you can win rolls on items you need or items you can sell or trade.

Twinking is overrated for rogues. Your damage is capped for your early levels anyway and if your playing the class right you should not be getting hit often. So once you have some money saved up, 2 decent piercers and after that slowly work on your armor.

Hobby
12-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Rogues are extremely good when you get higher levels, but soloing is out the window so you better enjoy grouping. And it is easy to get your strength and dex gear :p

And hey, atleast you do not have to contend with a large penelty for being a hybrid!

azeth
12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
but soloing is out the window so you better enjoy grouping. And it is easy to get your strength and dex gear :p!

I contest only that soloing is doable with a Trident of Seven Seas + Bandages + Rubicite BP.

Trimm
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM
When I started this server I had nothing and had never played a rogue before. I loved it to be honest. Its a really fun class that isn't to terribly difficult to play. I started out broke as well, and the only twinking I ever got was Pyrocat handing me a Serrated Bone Dirk and 150pp when he ran by me in the oasis.

Decent rogue gear isn't very expensive, and you don't always HAVE to have the best in slot gear when leveling up. Once you hit 46, all of that stuff comes with time. This server could always use more rogues, so give it a try!

y2sky2003
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Also, level in or near East Commons until 10 if at all possible. You can usually find a friendly druid or mage at the tunnel to throw you a DS during peak times. It's how I got my SK to 9 (and viable group tanking) without pulling my hair out.

Once you have backstab you should be able to start getting groups on a more regular basis, I would think.

knottyb0y
12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
This question has a simple answer,

Play what you want to play. Rogues are great, I love grouping with them because they are great consistent dps.

Playing a rogue you just have to understand that you will spend most your time grouping. That is not as bad as it sounds, just get in groups, and /friend the tanks, or healers etc. Get a good reputation and groups will come to you or get good at forming your own groups.

A lot of people play mages and necros in an effort to solo all the way to the top, which is fine if that's what they want. In my opinion this game is about grouping and meeting people and building a social network. So if you enjoy that aspect of the game you will love a rogue (among many other classes). Just find the class you like and play it, if it doesn't fit your play style change.

Slayde
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I started rogue first character back in late January. Had no items, money or friends. It's a lot of hard work. But it will make you better in the end for it. I personally like the struggle of trying to make it with nothing, especially with a very gear dependent class hehe.

dredge
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Cruise
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Hasn't been too rough finding groups the last couple days so I'm going to stick it out and see how high I can get.

Look out for Toyotacamry, should be 10 tonight.

Messianic
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
You'll find you value the character a lot more if you level and gain gear the hard way.

Occasionally, I get noobs asking me for free stuff - be it a few plat or bags - and I always say no. Not because I'm stingy, or because i'm self-righteous about having built nearly everything I have on my own - I just won't deny them the best experience you ever have in EQ - building yourself from scratch.

Occasionally i've given noobs things when it was unsolicited, but that's because I saw something in them that I thought was good for the server, i.e. a good attitude - but i'm very careful not to ruin the worthwhile experience of progression.

Hasbinbad
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Rogues are sweet. They are relatively easy to learn, while at the same time rewarding skill. You can get out of a rogue exactly as much effort as you put in; on the one hand, you can ez mode and still be effective, while on the other you can make yourself as busy and active as you wanna be. Rogues ARE very gear-dependent, but most of the good stuff is campable by an XP group until planar drops, so you can kinda double-purpose your time by being selective about what camps you go for.

As a side note:
Beware your starting stats: if you care about being the best you can, you should spend them wisely. You can do a search for my opinion on starting stats or PM me anytime on boards or in game for advice. I know from personal experience (on live) how disappointing it is to find out that my character won't be as effective as others of my same class, and if you screwed the pooch, I would advise you to restart now to avoid the timesink of levelling only to become disappoint.

Humerox
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
When I started this server I had nothing and had never played a rogue before.

Coulda fooled me. Turned out pretty dang good at it.

See there? Rogue is "A-number-one" choice. And do PM Hasbin, he won't steer ya wrong.

Cruise
12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
As a side note:
Beware your starting stats: if you care about being the best you can, you should spend them wisely. You can do a search for my opinion on starting stats or PM me anytime on boards or in game for advice. I know from personal experience (on live) how disappointing it is to find out that my character won't be as effective as others of my same class, and if you screwed the pooch, I would advise you to restart now to avoid the timesink of levelling only to become disappoint.

Hah, shit. Pretty sure I max'd out whatever stats were green. Maybe put a few in CHA for good measure.