PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't this server have more GM's?

fiveeauxfour
01-13-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm not a greengrocer conspirator. I'm not trolling.

I am curious why this server doesn't have more than 1 GM. Sirken can only do so much with the countless petitions coming in week after week. Why don't you promote 1, 2, or 3 more GMs? Is it the case that all the GM apps are biased? Is it the case that there aren't any GM apps? The number one issue with velious release at the moment is that there isn't a strong GM presence to whip all of us nerds into shape!

Serious posts only please (I know that's impossible, but I tried).

phacemeltar
01-13-2016, 06:54 PM
dont forget about haynar!

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 07:00 PM
According to gg conspiracy: There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.

fiveeauxfour
01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
DAVE!

Ele
01-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Because people usually get paid to babysit.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
<3

Expediency
01-13-2016, 07:42 PM
On live you are a paying customer, and they have (had) a large budget to work with. If they did not respond to legit petitions they stood to lose players to another game company. Also if someone went rogue and tried to mess up the game or whatever, the company had the resources to go after that person and coders to clean up the mess, 24/7.

This is free and nobody can be paid, even if we all collected money to hire one, so we are stuck with only a few people who fit both the criteria of "can be trusted with all this work" and "willing to do it for free."

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 07:52 PM
this 'it's free' reasoning is ridiculous you guys obvs have no idea how many people would be willing to help out as GM's on this box, the numbers are quite high.

Nitsude
01-13-2016, 07:59 PM
this 'it's free' reasoning is ridiculous you guys obvs have no idea how many people would be willing to help out as GM's on this box, the numbers are quite high.

I'm sure it's not a lack of willingness, but more a lack of trust.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm sure it's not a lack of willingness, but more a lack of trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIYoyvW3J9Q

captnamazing
01-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Hard to find people with the right combo of Sickness & Desperation + Incorruptibility & Commitment

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 08:51 PM
well commitment isn't really the problem with this lot, raise your hand if you quit your job to raid!

captnamazing
01-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Naw dawg, it's the combo of it all. Plenty of sickness here. Plenty of desperation. Plenty of incorruptible players. Plenty of commited players.

But to find the perfect combo???

Kushie
01-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Is Forsaken teaching Asgard to lawyerquest, is that why we need more GMs? CONCEDE

Expediency
01-13-2016, 09:08 PM

The owners of this place expose themselves to risk every single time they give someone the keys to the kingdom. There's more to "hiring someone to do it" than just literally paying them. You can contractually obligate them to not steal your logs, for instance, and have a way to go after them because you've payed them for the work. And if they do a poor job you fire them and there are unemployed people who will interview for that job. You could outsource workers who would follow a GM script to solve the easy problems. Cant do that here, even if the money was there.

There are dozens of people reading this forum today who are qualified to be a GM and could do a good job, but very few if any of them can both pass the owner's selection process and be willing to work for free. Anyone who thinks being nonprofit doesnt affect lack of GM availability is living on the moon.

captnamazing
01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
living on the moon.

NOT classic

Expediency
01-13-2016, 09:12 PM
NOT classic

haha i shoehorned that in as best I could

Ravager
01-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Just turn everyone green and let it all come out in the wash.

Thulack
01-13-2016, 11:11 PM

But of those numbers how many you think would be trustworthy enough with everyones information and not have that power get to their head eventually? or realize that there are desperate people that play this game that are willing to pay real money to them for favors? The number of people is greatly reduced by things like this sadly. "Fame" and money can ruin most people especially the ones that dont think it would happen to them.

tristantio
01-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Just add a game wide voting mechanism for bans (similar to old FPS games) where every signed in player reads a quick blurb and votes yay or nay on banning the player in question.

What could go wrong?

Jarlon
01-14-2016, 03:23 AM
The gms are totally not into doing anything you just want them to on your whim completely non for profit organization. Like c'mon get to the point where you grow up and back the F off. totally aggressive with out provocation is a sign macequest may be in your future , ask doc for pills.

Ivory
01-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Well, in my experience...they don't want more help :P

I applied to be a guide over a year ago. It was around the time I was logging on a lot and just running around with my clicky cleric to find people to rez....figured why not help players with guide powers answering petitions instead.

But when I expressed interest in interacting with players / gm events ...they quickly grew cold and said I wasn't right for the job (even though I'm a game dev already).

Though overall I've had good experiences with GM help on the server. Petitions of quests going wrong or IP exceptions when my brother visited or anything else they have helped out with pretty quickly and nicely :)

I wish they had more GM events and a bit more freedom, but -shrug- things are way better here than on live.

Verath
01-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Trust.

From what I've seen the vast majority of P99 players aren't financially successful. People that don't make money are easy to bribe. For example, $20 to the front desk at a hotel and you'll get a great upgrade. $50 to the host or hostess and no waiting for a table. What's to stop a financially desperate individual to take items and plat off banned accounts to RMT?

heartbrand
01-14-2016, 09:14 AM

I applied to be a guide over a year ago. It was around the time I was logging on a lot and just running around with my clicky cleric to find people to rez....figured why not help players with guide powers answering petitions instead.

But when I expressed interest in interacting with players / gm events ...they quickly grew cold and said I wasn't right for the job (even though I'm a game dev already).

Though overall I've had good experiences with GM help on the server. Petitions of quests going wrong or IP exceptions when my brother visited or anything else they have helped out with pretty quickly and nicely :)

I wish they had more GM events and a bit more freedom, but -shrug- things are way better here than on live.

Pretty much this. Those of us who are qualified and have had experience get turned down for people who sell drugs out of their home and post pictures of meat, or sell cupcakes. I have no idea what the vetting process is, but the one there is has given us amelinda, derubael, ephi, ambrotos, etc. I don't know if those people could pass a test to get a job as a McDonalds cashier.

arsenalpow
01-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Pretty much this. Those of us who are qualified and have had experience get turned down for people who sell drugs out of their home and post pictures of meat, or sell cupcakes. I have no idea what the vetting process is, but the one there is has given us amelinda, derubael, ephi, ambrotos, etc. I don't know if those people could pass a test to get a job as a McDonalds cashier.

Don't lump Ambrotos in with the rest of those liars. He did fine and didn't disgrace the office on the way out.

heartbrand
01-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Ambrotos may not have been a cheater, but someone with his temperament had no business in any csr position whatsoever. I recall the time on red he sent a tell to me the second I had logged on saying tell your guild to cut the shit. 1) it wasn't my guild 2) I had just logged on. I responded what shit? He then told me if I back talk one more time I'd eat a suspension. I had many experiences with ambrotos like this, as did guildies.

fadetree
01-14-2016, 09:29 AM

What's the problem with Deru? I must have missed it. I thought he was supposed to be good peeps.

arsenalpow
01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Ambrotos may not have been a cheater, but someone with his temperament had no business in any csr position whatsoever. I recall the time on red he sent a tell to me the second I had logged on saying tell your guild to cut the shit. 1) it wasn't my guild 2) I had just logged on. I responded what shit? He then told me if I back talk one more time I'd eat a suspension. I had many experiences with ambrotos like this, as did guildies.

He had experience in the raid scene, he understood Everquest mechanics, and he cared enough to help the staff. Maybe for you his temperament sucked but 3 outta 4 ain't bad.

feanan
01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Given that is has come out that just about everyone who has been in a position of power has abused it and been involved in RMT....maybe they just don't want to share the pie

Haynar
01-14-2016, 11:14 AM
dont forget about haynar!
Yes. I am trusted.

No. I don't want to be a GM.

Thx.

Ele
01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Yes. I am trusted.

No. I don't want to be a GM.

Thx.

We need Haynar making more classic. Please for the children.

Daldaen
01-14-2016, 11:25 AM

This.

I will be a GM. Give me the power Sirken/Rogean/Nilbog.

arsenalpow
01-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Given that is has come out that just about everyone who has been in a position of power has abused it and been involved in RMT....maybe they just don't want to share the pie

That's not accurate at all. There's been plenty of staff that have kept a clean whistle. Amelinda, Ephi, and Derubael - that's it, three dirty whistles out of countless staff members.

Daldaen
01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
That's not accurate at all. There's been plenty of staff that have kept a clean whistle. Amelinda, Ephi, and Derubael - that's it, three out of countless staff members.

Wasn't there a dwarf paladin GM too? Hobby or something that did something?

I forget, I never kept too close of an eye on P99 GM dramas.

Haynar
01-14-2016, 11:50 AM

I need to do some of that. Been playing on takp, and some of bugs there were ruining my immersion. So been doing some fixes.

I have a few things in progress for p99. Still wish they would nuke mouse scroll wheel, just to hear the whine. Heh.

H

Ravager
01-14-2016, 12:12 PM
I need to do some of that. Been playing on takp, and some of bugs there were ruining my immersion. So been doing some fixes.

I have a few things in progress for p99. Still wish they would nuke mouse scroll wheel, just to hear the whine. Heh.

H

Trilogy Client would bring even more whine.

Doors
01-14-2016, 12:21 PM
At this point they couldn't possibly do any worse than they have in the past.

It's really a question of do they actually care enough to go through the trouble of bringing new GMs in and training them. And right now as long as the money keeps rolling in and nothing changes that, there's really no reason to bother.

Llandris
01-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Tears would flow if Haynar was a GM.

<3 you H

Daldaen
01-14-2016, 12:41 PM

H

Would <3 transferring P99 to the TAK Client. That one gets me so immersed.

feanan
01-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Wasn't there a dwarf paladin GM too? Hobby or something that did something?

I forget, I never kept too close of an eye on P99 GM dramas.

Lets not forget these 3 got outed by others. Not like there was a server announcement.
They were just bad at covering tracks, and keeping their mouths shut.

As far as we know, they are all corrupt. But, I accept that as part of playing here for free

Keykey
01-14-2016, 04:04 PM
The answer is to bring on other people with those skills to compensate. Keep in mind, this is a volunteer project. So now the requirements include: management skills, passion for EQ, agreement of the direction of the project, trustworthy and non-corruptible - all for the big sum of $0. Then after they find that person, it's going to take quite a while to prove themselves before they are handed any real responsibility. Being part of the staff here is very demanding. Add to that, people trying to harm the project for whatever unknown reason. Again add to that, the forums (presumably the very people they are volunteering to help) attacking staff everyday. What are the chances of that person sticking around long enough to have a positive impact on the server?

They truly do the best they can.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1501173&postcount=142

Rivthis
01-14-2016, 05:24 PM
What's the problem with Deru? I must have missed it. I thought he was supposed to be good peeps.

Made like 24 grand stripping banned accounts and selling the items to platlord, took like 5 months for Rogean to figure out. The powers to be even joked about it before it was known.

Issar
01-14-2016, 05:31 PM
It's been a long day, when I skimmed the title I read it as Why doesn't his sister have more GM's? I was expecting a 10/10 thread, but turns out to be 1/10. Would not read again.

Haynar
01-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Tears would flow if Haynar was a GM.

<3 you H
You ain't kidding. I would be brutal. Would get fired within a month.

H

Spyder73
01-14-2016, 06:10 PM
This server has better guide support then the live servers

Source: Playing on Phinigel

Daywolf
01-14-2016, 07:15 PM
wut? I remember logging into live early on and there was maybe only 1 gm on, sometimes none. Yeah off hours, but there were still more people on my server in off hours than most times here. Of course that doesn't cover all the other outside work such as incident research etc, or web petitions if I remember them having those (never used it).

Ambrotos
01-15-2016, 12:33 AM
lol
I went back into my logs to see if I had the conversation. I do recall talking to you, and I am sure I was pissed off at something fucked up your guild was doing. I apologize if I came off too hard.

Although the masses on blue would most likely wish this ban was kept in place.

[Tue Mar 13 20:04:01 2012] [1 Monk] Pepperdoesanal (Human) ZONE: qeynos2 (USER 0: PID arsenalpow)
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:01 2012] There is 1 player in EverQuest.
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:06 2012] Phin Esrinap says 'Good job, Pepperdoesanal, keep up the good work! Here is your white training headband. Wear it with honor, and make Lu'Sun proud.'
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:13 2012] You say, '#ban pepperdoesanal'
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:13 2012] Account number ##### with the character pepperdoesanal has been banned.

arsenalpow
01-15-2016, 06:19 AM

Not me dummy. Stop posting high.

heartbrand
01-15-2016, 09:19 AM
I'll say this for Ambrotos. When he made his annual presence on the red server known, no one dared to utter a word in ooc. So maybe he wasn't so bad after all!

Troubled
01-15-2016, 09:39 AM
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:01 2012] [1 Monk] Pepperdoesanal (Human) ZONE: qeynos2 (USER 0: PID arsenalpow)
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:01 2012] There is 1 player in EverQuest.
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:06 2012] Phin Esrinap says 'Good job, Pepperdoesanal, keep up the good work! Here is your white training headband. Wear it with honor, and make Lu'Sun proud.'
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:13 2012] You say, '#ban pepperdoesanal'
[Tue Mar 13 20:04:13 2012] Account number ##### with the character pepperdoesanal has been banned.
lol

Spyder73
01-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Free Pepperdoesanal

Whirled
01-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Free Pepperdoesanal

someone photoshop this to a pizza coupon^

thufir
01-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Still wish they would nuke mouse scroll wheel, just to hear the whine. Heh.

Nuke it because it's not classic! I feel compelled to be in third person view any time the place I'm in is wide-open enough to permit it, just because it's such a game advantage. But alas for my immersion.

Tameth
01-15-2016, 08:15 PM
pvp events!

Daywolf
01-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Nuke it because it's not classic! I feel compelled to be in third person view any time the place I'm in is wide-open enough to permit it, just because it's such a game advantage. But alas for my immersion.
Easy enough, get a trackball w/o a scroll wheel (most don't have one). I have those mice, need them for work stuff, but much rather use trackball for games like eq so I'm not swiping my desk end to end. Ever have one of those mice fly out of your hand and land in the fish aquarium? Plus the trackball is a cure for all that wrist pain after long hours.

Bazia
01-16-2016, 10:32 AM
people go crazy and start rmting

Bazia
01-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Phin Esrinap says 'Good job, Pepperdoesanal, keep up the good work! Here is your white training headband. Wear it with honor, and make Lu'Sun proud.'

Stormfists
01-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Why would you want more Sirkens? :)

fastboy21
01-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Lots have applied. I know I did about four years ago. They run a tight ship, and worry a lot about letting anyone in that they can't trust.

Over all, the reason p99 has worked has as much or more to do with the team and leadership running it the right way. The server would never have worked otherwise.

Thulack
01-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Easy enough, get a trackball w/o a scroll wheel (most don't have one). I have those mice, need them for work stuff, but much rather use trackball for games like eq so I'm not swiping my desk end to end. Ever have one of those mice fly out of your hand and land in the fish aquarium? Plus the trackball is a cure for all that wrist pain after long hours.

I have a scroll wheel on my M570 :)

Dillian
01-16-2016, 11:21 AM
The problem with people and people GMing on this server, is that the people GMing are the ones that play here. On live when I was a Volunteer GM, they made sure I was on a server I didn't have any active guys on. It is rather hard to do that here because we only have two servers, and alot of people play on both.

thufir
01-16-2016, 12:09 PM

I could also not use the scroll wheel. Not the point, of course.

Tupakk
01-16-2016, 01:55 PM
The problem with people and people GMing on this server, is that the people GMing are the ones that play here. On live when I was a Volunteer GM, they made sure I was on a server I didn't have any active guys on. It is rather hard to do that here because we only have two servers, and alot of people play on both.

I can agree with that, Its hard to pass an unbias judgement when you know the person you are talking to and they dont know you. Secrets be secrets in the end.