PDA

View Full Version : Do mobs run faster here than they did on live?

tristantio
12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
^topic

Lazortag
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Short answer: yes, it's been looked into, there are client issues and other things that need to be resolved, blah blah blah.

Also, test your runspeed against others to see if you have a computer problem making you run slower in case that's the problem. Sometimes people mistake their slowness for mobs' fastness.

Spud
12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I strafe and jump, nothing can catch me!

Rhambuk
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Yes

grumblegrumblegrumble

Jarsith
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
If you do have a runspeed issue due to computer issues, is there any way to make it better? I've looked around but havent really been able to find too much

Lazortag
12-02-2010, 11:08 PM
If you do have a runspeed issue due to computer issues, is there any way to make it better? I've looked around but havent really been able to find too much

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3609

WinEQ2 worked for my gf's shitty computer. She was walking so slow I started making up conspiracy theories about how agility affects runspeed.

Cruise
12-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I had a runspeed bug until someone gave me this thing called "Spirit of Wolf"

Benebric
12-03-2010, 12:54 AM
My fried had horrible issues with being slow, I think he fixed it by running in Xp compatibility mode. (He has Win 7 x64)

Tokum-6n0m3
12-03-2010, 12:59 AM
It's not so much that they run faster (unless like mentioned your having lag issues making it appear that way) the issue is on this server they're hitbox seems a lot bigger, meaning they're able to hit you at a distance that on live you would normally be safe, this doesn't affect many ppl but as a bard is something thats very noticeable when swarm kiting.

Estu
12-03-2010, 01:36 AM
They do run faster than you, which IIRC is not how it was on Live. However, if you jump repeatedly and/or strafe-run, you can outrun them as long as you're doing that (if you go back to normal running, they will catch up). You can outrun any normal mob with SoW, though, even a level 9 SoW. If you can't do that, or outrun them via jumping or strafe-running, then you have a computer or connection issue causing you to run slower. Devs have looked into fixing the run speed but apparently it's very hard to do or can't be done without making it way too lopsided in favor of the player.

Kich
12-03-2010, 04:12 AM
That's kind of confusing from a programming perspective. Presumably since mobs vary in size their hit box size is either proportional to or set to some arbitrary number that should be able to be changed.

Strafe running helps a bit, jumping helps a bit, it's still annoying when you zoom all the way out and are watching the mob a good 30 feet away still hitting you because you're running in a straight line however.

Messianic
12-03-2010, 09:24 AM
That's kind of confusing from a programming perspective. Presumably since mobs vary in size their hit box size is either proportional to or set to some arbitrary number that should be able to be changed.

Yeah, and the giant beetles and Griffawns in NK actually have smaller hit boxes than the lions in NK...it's definitely weird.

Akame
12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Holy crap do they ever, I got mauled by a named Basilisk in Rathe mountains last night and I had sow and levi and bolted at the first sign of trouble. I must have been halfway to the zone before he finally killed me but I could never get out of his hit box.

Dr4z3r
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't know whether it's classic or not, but turning makes it much harder for a mob to hit you.

It's just like being attacked by alligators irl*: never run in a straight line.

*Mythbusters busted this myth, if you're attacked by an alligator irl, and it misses you with the first lunge, you're probably in the clear.

tristantio
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Only a lowbie observation, but I noticed even without SoW, if I strafed left/right in a zig zag pattern while auto-running a mob that could normally hit me (while running straight) could no longer hit me.

It has prevented many deaths - this would not be considered an exploit would it?

Edit - not that it matters as much now, as I have SoW and just lazily run in straight paths again.

stormlord
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Only gnomes. When they compressed hte models and moved them to project1999 they found out that on the 64-bit processors every 24 bits were skipped so the gnomes were effeectively 10% shorter. So it always appears at least that they're running faster. It's irony for sure that upgraded technology would... get this... harm the gnomes in anyway.

xshayla701
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
It's just like being attacked by alligators irl*: never run in a straight line.

*Mythbusters busted this myth, if you're attacked by an alligator irl, and it misses you with the first lunge, you're probably in the clear.

I thought it was bears

Humerox
12-04-2010, 03:11 PM
You zig-zag for gators and run downhill for bears.

:)