PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Dwarf Warrior

Ransurian
01-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Hello! Recently started playing Project 1999 as a newcomer to EverQuest, and I've been hearing a bunch of conflicting stuff about stamina versus dexterity, as well as whether to choose a religion.

Getting straight to the point, I've dumped 15 points into STA and the rest into DEX. I've chosen Agnostic, as I hear it's generally the most forgiving choice.

Ransurian
01-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Ah -- sorry to bump, but I'm also not too sure how to distribute my 5 practice points. :/

Baler
01-26-2016, 01:28 AM
you're choice for 15 STA, rest dex is fine. If you plan on gettings this character to 60 you'll have plenty of gear and choices on stats vs ac. I wouldn't worry too much about your starting stats. what you did was acceptable in any form.

Are practice points the points you distribute at a class master? If so, I recommend only putting 1 to each of your required skills that you either 1. start at 0 with or 2. get at future levels.
For example at level 6 you should put 1 point into dodge. That way you can naturally raise dodge as you fight. I'm not sure it will raise past 0 by it self. I know some skills do and some skills don't.
This page is useful: http://wiki.project1999.com/Warrior#Skills

Lastly if you want to and its totally up to you. You can do one of two things. Put 1 point into every language or fast track a trade skill to a certain point.

Good luck!

Tasslehofp99
01-26-2016, 01:31 AM
first mistake was not making your warrior a Halfling. ;)

Monty405
01-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Does dwarf start below the 75 Agi minimum?

Phantasm
01-26-2016, 10:12 AM
reroll into iksar and reap the benefits

but yeah stat allocation is fine, warriors can make up most deficiencies(most) with gear acquisition. As far as your trainer points I think I've invested like 10 of mine at level 60 heh. I advise you to put a point into sense heading and all your combat skills you acquire. After that you can level tradeskills up(RIP) or help move a particularly slow moving skill toward Mastery

arsenalpow
01-26-2016, 10:26 AM
reroll into iksar and reap the benefits

Sweet benefits such as a 2handed weapon animation that looks like you're jacking off a horse, or being unable to wear normal plate armor, or being stunned from the front. All that and more could be yours!

Evia
01-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Sweet benefits such as a 2handed weapon animation that looks like you're jacking off a horse

Actually had me laughing out loud. Haha. So true.

Morlaeth
01-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Does dwarf start below the 75 Agi minimum?

This. OP, are you hitting 75 agility naked?

Legday
01-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Mostly bad advice here. Stat allocation is extremely important for a warrior mid and end game.

Dump as much as you can in to STA and the rest in to DEX. (25/5?)

STA is difficult to cap even with raid buffs for most races, dwarf included, if you don't max your starting STA. If you max your STA allocation during creation, end game you won't have to worry about finding a Shaman with a PE hammer to give you that STA boost.

The more raw STA you have, the more you can ignore +STA gear and focus on +AC and +HP gear and not have to give anything up.

DEX on the other hand, is more easily capped with buffs you'll find in most groups and raids.

Ransurian
01-26-2016, 11:59 AM
DEX on the other hand, is more easily capped with buffs you'll find in most groups and raids.

Strange. I've been hearing mostly the exact opposite. In fact, the Wiki itself recommends "min-maxing" by putting 25 points into dexterity for all races, since dexterity is allegedly considerably difficult to cap. I decided to try going for a slightly more balanced approach favoring stamina.

As for the response above, yes -- Dwarf warriors do indeed reach 75 agility naked.

Ele
01-26-2016, 12:05 PM
True min-maxing warrior is all into charisma.

Legday
01-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Strange. I've been hearing mostly the exact opposite. In fact, the Wiki itself recommends "min-maxing" by putting 25 points into dexterity for all races, since dexterity is allegedly considerably difficult to cap. I decided to try going for a slightly more balanced approach favoring stamina.

As for the response above, yes -- Dwarf warriors do indeed reach 75 agility naked.

I went full retard when I made my warrior and dumped my points in to STR. I now raid at lvl 60 and tank quite a bit wearing near BiS gear. I need PE to cap my STA (248 without PE) and my DEX hits 255 with only Focus of Spirit, which is a raid buff you'll get pretty much the second you log in to game. PE is harder to come by.

Also, if you don't need PE you can use a primal for Avatar (way end game) and get +100 atk and certainly cap off any dex or agi you were lacking.

If I had dumped my starting stats in to STA like a smart person I could swap a few gear slots for more +HP or +AC items and have a higher

I'm a barbarian if it helps for context. Too lazy to look up comparable starting stats of barb and dorf.

Monty405
01-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Gnome War is best (Velious texture helms)

Ransurian
01-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I went full retard when I made my warrior and dumped my points in to STR. I now raid at lvl 60 and tank quite a bit wearing near BiS gear. I need PE to cap my STA (248 without PE) and my DEX hits 255 with only Focus of Spirit, which is a raid buff you'll get pretty much the second you log in to game. PE is harder to come by.

Also, if you don't need PE you can use a primal for Avatar (way end game) and get +100 atk and certainly cap off any dex or agi you were lacking.

If I had dumped my starting stats in to STA like a smart person I could swap a few gear slots for more +HP or +AC items and have a higher

I'm a barbarian if it helps for context. Too lazy to look up comparable starting stats of barb and dorf.
Well, going by the starting values for Barbarian and Dwarf stats, I'll comfortably be able to hit max STA without PE. Without putting any points into STA, a Barbarian has 105, whereas Dwarves have 100. Also, Barbarians appear to only have 70 starting DEX, whereas Dwarves have 90. Strange -- to quote the Wiki, "Aside from dexterity, stats are relatively easy to max at end-game Velious, so it is recommended to dump as many points into dexterity as possible."

indiscriminate_hater
01-26-2016, 12:32 PM
STA is difficult to cap even with raid buffs for most races, dwarf included, if you don't max your starting STA.

wut

Legday
01-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Well, going by the starting values for Barbarian and Dwarf stats, I'll comfortably be able to hit max STA without PE. Without putting any points into STA, a Barbarian has 105, whereas Dwarves have 100. Also, Barbarians appear to only have 70 starting DEX, whereas Dwarves have 90. Strange -- to quote the Wiki, "Aside from dexterity, stats are relatively easy to max at end-game Velious, so it is recommended to dump as many points into dexterity as possible."

The wiki is probably not taking in to account end game upgrades that Velious offers. Dex is easy to cap with FoS these days.

Cecily
01-26-2016, 12:43 PM
So.. it doesn't matter what you put it into. Sta probably best choice still?

Bill Tetley
01-26-2016, 01:21 PM
It doesn't matter... Ogre, Dwarf, Elf... in the end all your stats will be over capped while raid buffed and everyone gets the same amount of HP in BiS gear. It's just that high STA races are able to swap in more HP gear earlier since they hit 205 STA much easier.

Front stun immunity is a convenience but not necessary... personally I've found warriors that didn't roll Ogre to be more skillful players as they have that obstacle to overcome. Ogre warriors tend to be LAZY and half paying attention to push.

khandman
01-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Front stun immunity is a convenience but not necessary... personally I've found warriors that didn't roll Ogre to be more skillful players as they have that obstacle to overcome. Ogre warriors tend to be LAZY and half paying attention to push.

Agreed. From experience of being a Woodelf Warrior back in my Live days.

Cecily
01-26-2016, 01:57 PM
I just rolled an elf war and I saw that thing on wiki about 25 dex min max, so I'm glad we're having this discussion. Went 25 sta.
I don't plan on using procs till way way later. Seeing how far swiftblade of zek / seb dirk will take me.

Valse
01-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Barrel rolls...pretty much all that matters.

captnamazing
01-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Well you chose the most inferior of all short warrior races. At least you can barrel roll while regretting not going halfling and getting sneak pull, sneak turn ins, sneak banking, Invis + sneak hide trick, awesome furry feet, and the most respected home town in Norrath.

Ransurian
01-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Well you chose the most inferior of all short warrior races. At least you can barrel roll while regretting not going halfling and getting sneak pull, sneak turn ins, sneak banking, Invis + sneak hide trick, awesome furry feet, and the most respected home town in Norrath.
Sneak turn-ins seem more like an exploit than anything. Couldn't pass up the good starting stats that Dwarves are blessed with, either.

SCB
01-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Well you chose the most inferior of all short warrior races. At least you can barrel roll while regretting...the most respected home town in Norrath.

Halflings can't spawn in Kelethin.

Trelaboon
01-28-2016, 01:59 PM
As a Gnome Warrior, I can agree with Legday. I did pretty much the same thing (15 dex and 10 sta) and pretty much regret it. With just FoS and VoG, both of which are super common, it's really easy to max both strength and stamina in the raid setting. I am geared almost entirely for stamina and I still don't max out....but I'm a Gnome, which makes it worth it

*flex*

Cecily
01-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Sneak turn-ins seem more like an exploit than anything.

Someone should wash your mouth out with soap.

Troxx
01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
For a warrior on p99, I'd argue the smartest choice would be dumping all available points into dexterity. For 99.9% of content a warrior will be encountering, a higher statistical chance of landing an early proc (and more procs over time) will be infinitely more useful than the marginal benefit the extra stamina would net them. Theoretically your cleric might be 0.5% more efficient complete healing you, but will end up being a lot less efficient having to toss more heals to the 'not you'. Remember that even regarding ideally balanced groups level 55+ and up that have both a warrior and a cleric, that complete heal isn't going to be timed to hit you when you're purpling ... and that complete heal isn't needed but every few mobs outside of rare named mobs. Remove the cleric from the equation and it's all a moot point as all other healing options are games of efficiency and attrition, where armor class and making sure damage goes where it's intended to go (the tank and not the rogue) is the name of the game.

For the other theoretical 0.1% of content ... well you're talking monster hitting raid encounters where a well oiled complete heal chain and a dash of luck will go a lot farther towards your survival than a few extra stamina points would net you. Once you get to that level of game play, capping stamina via gear isn't impossible regardless of your race ... and 100-200hp won't make a big difference when you're buffing out to >6k hp.

Legday
01-28-2016, 05:11 PM
For a warrior on p99, I'd argue the smartest choice would be dumping all available points into dexterity. For 99.9% of content a warrior will be encountering, a higher statistical chance of landing an early proc (and more procs over time) will be infinitely more useful than the marginal benefit the extra stamina would net them. Theoretically your cleric might be 0.5% more efficient complete healing you, but will end up being a lot less efficient having to toss more heals to the 'not you'. Remember that even regarding ideally balanced groups level 55+ and up that have both a warrior and a cleric, that complete heal isn't going to be timed to hit you when you're purpling ... and that complete heal isn't needed but every few mobs outside of rare named mobs. Remove the cleric from the equation and it's all a moot point as all other healing options are games of efficiency and attrition, where armor class and making sure damage goes where it's intended to go (the tank and not the rogue) is the name of the game.

For the other theoretical 0.1% of content ... well you're talking monster hitting raid encounters where a well oiled complete heal chain and a dash of luck will go a lot farther towards your survival than a few extra stamina points would net you. Once you get to that level of game play, capping stamina via gear isn't impossible regardless of your race ... and 100-200hp won't make a big difference when you're buffing out to >6k hp.

I would agree before level 60. At level 60, for raid tanking, it's STA. Depending on how neckbeardy you are, you will regret not putting your points in to STA once you start with the end game.

With that said, don't start with the end game if you value...anything really.

Cecily
01-28-2016, 10:38 PM
I would agree before level 60. At level 60, for raid tanking, it's STA. Depending on how neckbeardy you are, you will regret not putting your points in to STA once you start with the end game.

With that said, don't start with the end game if you value...anything really.

Yeah alot can be said about putting your stats into your classes' primary statistic. I have never once regretted 25 str 5 sta on my wood elf rogue despite 25 sta being the "min max" build. Even if you cap a statistic, that's not a bad thing. It gives you flexibility in gear. I had excellent STR leveling up and when I began to over cap, I could shed STR for resists and HP. Same thing would apply for warriors and STA.

DevGrousis
01-29-2016, 02:45 AM
True min-maxing warrior is all into charisma.

i'm dying haha