PDA

View Full Version : What classes are needed?

Landerz
02-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone. Coming back after 13 years and pretty excited to get back into Norrath. I'm going to create 1 main and 1 alt and I was wondering which classes are in demand right now. I would like to do a melee and a caster. I enjoy all the classes so I'm hoping you lovely people would give me some insight on what classes are needed for high end grouping / raiding etc...

Nitsude
02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Clerics, rogues, warriors are always good choices for raiding depending on how much you plan to play. If you're just starting on the server I'd start with a caster (wiz, nec, mag) or priest class (clr, dru, shm), as melee classes are more gear dependent. I dont include enchanters, because they're gear dependent with CHA.

I'm sure you know which classes are better for solo or grouping, so make sure you include that in your selection.

Lojik
02-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Classes on how to not be a jerk

Selly
02-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Play what you want. There does seem to be a lot of monks and shamans though

Tuljin
02-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Play what you want. There does seem to be a lot of monks and shamans though

*kssshhh* Iksar Monk #6514384 to Troll Shaman #2348193 - person camping named mob went to take a shit, moving in to take camp, over *ksssshhhh*

Xaanka
02-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Roll a class that can solo and farm at 60 if you want to play a melee, but don't let that discourage you from playing a melee. Rogue/War/Cleric tend to be the most in demand raiding classes, but good luck farming the gear you'll need without a caster to play.

Colgate
02-07-2016, 08:10 PM
you can never have too many clerics, warriors, rogues, enchanters, shamans, and bards in this game

iruinedyourday
02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Classes on how to not be a jerk

I recommend hitting this guys profile and checking out his last 10-20 posts. Been killing it lately.

Evia
02-07-2016, 10:26 PM
I'll break it down for you as far as I've seen. This is just my opinion though obviously and I could be wrong.

Most in demand classes for grouping: Tanks! Warrior/Shadow Knight/Paladin

Most in demand classes for raiding: Rogue / Cleric / Warrior / Bard / Magician

Baler
02-07-2016, 10:28 PM
YAT
See this thread and do a forum search.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225398

Top Demand imo Priest = Cleric, Melee = Rogue, tank = SK/War, Caster = Wiz/Ench

Over populated classes = Druid, Shaman, Monk, Necro, Mage, bard (most of this is based on the number of level 60s across a large period of time)

Classes no one takes serious imo,.. Ranger, Paladin

Xaanka
02-07-2016, 10:46 PM
you can never have too many clerics, warriors, rogues, enchanters, shamans, and bards in this game

Shamans are really common on blue but youre right.

Controversial, but Paladin Magician and Windstriker Rangers are also top tier on red, if anything because active mains are so rare that you'll often have raids with a fuckload of rogues without their atk buffs, etc. All those classes have zero loot competition too. U could probably gear a paladin mage or ranger in full velious gear (cept the windstriker part, goodluck) on red in the same amount of time it would take a rogue or w/e common class to get like 3 items.

fadetree
02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm always surprised at how often this gets asked. I'm not sure what people expect to hear...like are we supposed to say "OMG all two thousand of us forgot to roll clerics!"? The answer is and always has been the same - trinity is always needed, play what you want, yaddah yaddah.

Troxx
02-08-2016, 10:27 AM
The game always needs more bards ...

And by bards I mean bards who actually play their bards instead of just aoe swarm dotting to 45-51 and then giving up because they can't swarm for xp anymore. It really is such a powerful and versatile class, and very few people play them up to the class's potential. For grouping, they're fantastic pullers, can cc fairly well if played well, can function as stand-in tanks, and provide ridiculous amounts of regen (both hp and mana). For raids with aoes ... they fit perfectly into any other group of 5 that stands to benefit from resists. Pair them with 5 casters and you've got energizer bunny mana regen. Bards are the WD40 of everquest. They're the grease that makes any experience a lot smoother.

But yeah, the game at the raid end could always and will always need more clerics. Especially in classic eq, to get some content done you just need clerics - and lots of them.

Raev
02-08-2016, 01:09 PM
*kssshhh* Iksar Monk #6514384 to Troll Shaman #2348193 - person camping named mob went to take a shit, moving in to take camp, over *ksssshhhh*

coming from someone who didn't even have the balls to roll erudite paladin

wavelength
02-08-2016, 04:21 PM
I think it really depends on what your plans for the game are. Answers may vary! Some just want to casually play the game and go into groups in some of the more fun camps, while others join the big raid guilds to see all of the top-end game content. Needs of a small group in Seb/Velks may be different than at a 100+ raid.

That being said, clerics and rogs are always wanted. I love the bard class so me telling you that they are the best in the game and every group should always want one may be a bit of a bias opinion. If you just want to solo, necro, shaman, enchanter could be good options.

In the end, as has been said, play what you want, not what is needed. The game is a long grind, might as well enjoy it!

thufir
02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm always surprised at how often this gets asked. I'm not sure what people expect to hear...like are we supposed to say "OMG all two thousand of us forgot to roll clerics!"? The answer is and always has been the same - trinity is always needed, play what you want, yaddah yaddah.

Sometimes on games like this people don't play certain classes that are in high demand. I remember that Xegony seemed to have an enchanter shortage for example, it was generally difficult to find one when you really needed one unless they were in your guild. Not so much here.

So I'm not surprised so much that this question gets asked - how would a new player know? Should probably ask in "Starting Zone", sure.

Aeaolena
02-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Hello everyone. Coming back after 13 years and pretty excited to get back into Norrath. I'm going to create 1 main and 1 alt and I was wondering which classes are in demand right now. I would like to do a melee and a caster. I enjoy all the classes so I'm hoping you lovely people would give me some insight on what classes are needed for high end grouping / raiding etc...

Rogue / Cleric

Tuljin
02-09-2016, 11:43 PM
coming from someone who didn't even have the balls to roll erudite paladin

I do kinda regret not rolling Erudite Paladin - I was on a short tank kick at the time and I liked the idea of 100 base dex but now I'll never finish the epic and its pretty much useless. Maybe in another life I'll reroll.

Jimjam
02-10-2016, 02:00 PM
I have an Erudite Paladin of the Surfgod called Mahola. Made it to level 4, might be best on server.

iruinedyourday
02-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Shamans are really common on blue but youre right.

Controversial, but Paladin Magician and Windstriker Rangers are also top tier on red, if anything because active mains are so rare that you'll often have raids with a fuckload of rogues without their atk buffs, etc. All those classes have zero loot competition too. U could probably gear a paladin mage or ranger in full velious gear (cept the windstriker part, goodluck) on red in the same amount of time it would take a rogue or w/e common class to get like 3 items.

technically its really easy to have too many shamans.

have more than one....

Erati
02-10-2016, 03:30 PM
didnt someone have pie charts going that sliced the population at various time stamps

I get that anon people skewed this but I thought someone researched a bit of this

Lojik
02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
didnt someone have pie charts going that sliced the population at various time stamps

I get that anon people skewed this but I thought someone researched a bit of this

There was a breakdown done using/who all count, but that was before chardok aoe was the machine it is now, so I bet the breakdown would be different now

eqravenprince
02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Sadly I don't even know what Chardon AOE even means. Do a bunch of Wizards go there or something?

Juevento
02-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Sadly I don't even know what Chardon AOE even means. Do a bunch of Wizards go there or something?

Oh you sweet innocent summer child.

thufir
02-10-2016, 06:01 PM

You get a PBAOE group of some wizards/magicians, enchanters, a cleric, and a puller. Puller grabs most of the zone (Chardok), group kills everything. Usually there's some 6th guy who isn't necessarily contributing but is still part of the group. That person pays 2k plat for the privilege of being there, and gets a bunch of XP along with everyone else.

The existence of this service has created a lot of alt-60s on the accounts of people who have enough platinum to take advantage of it.

Kevynne
02-11-2016, 03:06 AM
You get a PBAOE group of some wizards/magicians, enchanters, a cleric, and a puller. Puller grabs most of the zone (Chardok), group kills everything. Usually there's some 6th guy who isn't necessarily contributing but is still part of the group. That person pays 2k plat for the privilege of being there, and gets a bunch of XP along with everyone else.

The existence of this service has created a lot of alt-60s on the accounts of people who have enough platinum to take advantage of it.

my cleric got the privilege of being the cleric for the first time ever in chardok AE group, was awesome xp. dinged 53-56 in i think 8-10 pulls

Landerz
02-12-2016, 05:32 AM
Thanks guys. I decided to start a shaman because it's one of the only classes I never played back in the day. Loving it so far! I think I'll go with a warrior once I'm able to twink him a bit. I was going to create a monk but it seems like they are the most popular class on this server. I'm up to lvl 12 with my shammy. Feel free to give 'Kryptex' a tell if you ever feel like duoing in Kunark. I'll probably be here till 60.

On a side note.. This server is awesome! Great people, way less drama than I'm use to in other MMOs and the fact that these devs could mimic the early days is amazing! Why anyone would pay for a sub for the retro servers on Live is beyond me. I tried it for a few days and it was nothing like what the EQ I remembered. I played 99-04.