PDA

View Full Version : Start Again, Make Friends, Kill Dragons on P99!

XDrake
02-07-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm installing Live because I hear some old friends have been visiting the server. :p Chuckling at this ad for Progression Server. Quite applicable to P99~

http://i.imgur.com/ueYmHun.jpg

itzmatt86
02-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I tried the tlp when ragefire and lockjaw released. My biggest complaint was the ease of it. It took under a month of very little play to reach 50. It was all rush rush rush.

Daywolf
02-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Not classic, bro.

Evia
02-07-2016, 10:21 PM
I tried the tlp when ragefire and lockjaw released. My biggest complaint was the ease of it. It took under a month of very little play to reach 50. It was all rush rush rush.

You might actually like Phinigel then (the true box progression server) as it's experience is more closely related to P99. Still a little faster, but much slower than RF/LJ. Everyone is complaining about it and blowing up the forums about how much slower it is in comparison and how they're "quitting" because of it.

Daywolf
02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Most of them playing there would prolly be ragequitting in droves if they had to log into this gameplay and graphics:

http://i.imgur.com/KavL5Qd.jpg

shits classic, bro.

SamwiseRed
02-07-2016, 10:58 PM
one chat box is coming.

Nuggie
02-07-2016, 11:26 PM
one chat box is coming.

Someone will make a 3rd party app to fix that. :rolleyes:

Daywolf
02-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Someone will make a 3rd party app to fix that. :rolleyes:
hahaha I haven't fired up ICQ in years. Was so useful for EQ and especially UO.

Necran
02-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Raids are instanced on that server. All the zones that were revamped are in revamped form. No CRs. Not classic.

elwing
02-08-2016, 09:56 AM
still plenty of fun and nostalgia even if not classic...

Daywolf
02-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Raids are instanced on that server. All the zones that were revamped are in revamped form. No CRs. Not classic.
That's where live really did a hard turn for me. I mean yeah the moon thing was sad, then insta travel with PoP, all the starting locations emptying out because of PoK, but when they started instancing stuff and that just made it 10x more awful and were it became a truly casual game. It just became a lame version of EQ2 :(

Necran
02-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Exactly. So to instance things from the outset on the Phinigel server... it's just shortcutting straight to the lame shit.

wavelength
02-08-2016, 02:36 PM

No CRs? Instanced zones? I've been on such raids before. I believe they were in Icecrown Citadel and Black Rock Spire.

Daywolf
02-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Exactly. So to instance things from the outset on the Phinigel server... it's just shortcutting straight to the lame shit.
Yeah, well instancing is done for two reasons, which you will find in all modern mmo's. 1. it's casual. The whole instant gratification thing, appealing to console players ;)
2. well less of an issue now with big developers, but it's easier on server bandwidth. When you have open areas, the more players you add to the zone the more bandwidth usage goes up exponentially. It's cheaper now, but still a heavier load on servers, it can be, increasing lag. Creating instancing is scalable, unlike big populated zones that... I don't think are spliitible as of yet.. other than like chat systems by channels and such that can load elsewhere. I mean there are tricks to doing so, but still it becomes less of an authentic MMO experience.

EQ2 was all instanced, really annoying. I think it was originally a 100 player cap to any open zone, then it would just instance another to fill. That also makes zones easier to develop, costing less money for development, though we didn't pay less money for them :/

cubiczar
02-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Yeah, well instancing is done for two reasons, which you will find in all modern mmo's. 1. it's casual. The whole instant gratification thing, appealing to console players ;)
2. well less of an issue now with big developers, but it's easier on server bandwidth. When you have open areas, the more players you add to the zone the more bandwidth usage goes up exponentially. It's cheaper now, but still a heavier load on servers, it can be, increasing lag. Creating instancing is scalable, unlike big populated zones that... I don't think are spliitible as of yet.. other than like chat systems by channels and such that can load elsewhere. I mean there are tricks to doing so, but still it becomes less of an authentic MMO experience.

EQ2 was all instanced, really annoying. I think it was originally a 100 player cap to any open zone, then it would just instance another to fill. That also makes zones easier to develop, costing less money for development, though we didn't pay less money for them :/

There is another reason... to reduce guild fighting and thus reduce GM/Guide dependence. Throw all the raids into an instance and you have settled basically all of the end game bickering going on between guilds. Everyone that can handle the content gets a shot at it. In the end that lets more people have access to the content but the actual impetus of instanced zones was because there were too many hard core players on the servers and not enough content to keep them happy.

Certainly not classic, but it makes limited guide personnel stretch further and eliminates a huge point of conflict for the end game. Obviously instances won't happen here but given the limited personnel here, they could be put to good use.