PDA

View Full Version : Auction Etiquette

tylercanuck
02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
So, I got a pop up from p99 Auction House that Billatoras was selling Spell: Girdle of Karana. I proceeded to message him and this is how the conversation went:

http://s21.postimg.org/p7w3kts6f/auction.jpg

I've never engaged in a conversation on p99 that escalated so quickly. Was I in the wrong here for not so jokingly offering more for a spell?

I just thought I'd share.

PS - WTB Girdle of Karana.

Zymphonic
02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
He was in the wrong both for reneging on his contract with Samnotwise and for jumping to inane conclusions in his conversation with you.

...And just to vouch for your judgment, I've encountered this Sam character as well--bad attitude on that one.

Teppler
02-11-2016, 01:56 PM
From the outside looking in you both look like you lack social skills but people do tend to get testy at EC tunnel.

Yesterday someone went off on me for 'wasting his time' and all I did was tell him how much I was selling something for.

Ele
02-11-2016, 01:58 PM
While poor form to back out of a deal that is already agreed, if a much better offer is made, it isn't like the first guy can sue you and you didn't click trade yet.

I chortle when EC wannabes start textually abusing people to rush and finish a trade, just so they can stand in the tunnel for another 4 hours pressing their hotkeys.

Sage Truthbearer
02-11-2016, 02:56 PM
If someone makes a transaction needlessly complicated just wish them luck and move on. I would've done this the second he asked me to explain to the other guy why he wasn't selling it to him.

Joyelle
02-11-2016, 02:57 PM
TunnelQuest is srs bzns. Some people have no sense of humor. I would have at least given a lol.

iruinedyourday
02-11-2016, 03:08 PM
So, I got a pop up from p99 Auction House that Billatoras was selling Spell: Girdle of Karana. I proceeded to message him and this is how the conversation went:

http://s21.postimg.org/p7w3kts6f/auction.jpg

I've never engaged in a conversation on p99 that escalated so quickly. Was I in the wrong here for not so jokingly offering more for a spell?

I just thought I'd share.

PS - WTB Girdle of Karana.

http://i.imgur.com/k9iV6do.gif

Hiragawa
02-11-2016, 03:18 PM
If someone makes a transaction needlessly complicated just wish them luck and move on. I would've done this the second he asked me to explain to the other guy why he wasn't selling it to him.

^

Zill
02-11-2016, 09:39 PM
WTS testicles, PST!

Vaye
02-12-2016, 04:57 AM
if you don't want to deal with this samnotwise guy, just put him on ignore. you're not obligated to pay more to keep him from getting mad at you. you were really over complicating this transaction and i don't blame the seller for getting annoyed. just tell him what you're offering and say he can take it or leave it. it did escalate quickly but people don't want to inherit your drama. your problems are your problems. if you want to outbid someone and they give you a time limit, get there in time. it's not that hard lol. ><

Baler
02-12-2016, 05:05 AM
I Agree with Vaye.

My advice would be to get to that seller as fast as possible. When he asked you to contact that other buyer just say okay/yes/sure. Then say nothing else. Offer the agreed plat to the seller and the seller should put the item into trade.
Try to communicate as little as possible. People can be unpredictable.

GSZ
02-12-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm struggling to understand why this is worthy of a thread on the forums?

arsenalpow
02-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Semi related, p99auctions pop up box tech is the truth.

fadetree
02-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Doesn't seem worthy of a long discussion, two people behave badly in EC, news flash.

Daywolf
02-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that was annoying, I would have stopped after his first reply rather than being annoying :o
wait... I just got a auction pop-up
Says I need coffee, I'm being annoying.

joppykid
02-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I would have done the same thing. It's not your job to send a tell to some guy and quite frankly it's not your problem if Sam doesn't believe him or not. I'm not sure how that guy thought you were mocking him or trolling. You just didn't want someone to know you outbid him.

It's just like not showing a winning hand in poker, it's your choice if you want to show them or not.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 10:16 AM
EC is just about the only place where people end up on my ignore.

Say I'm auctioning an item for 2k and typically it goes for 4k... if you send me a tell offering 1.5k and I say no and then you offer 1.8k, you're on ignore.

joppykid
02-12-2016, 10:31 AM

Say I'm auctioning an item for 2k and typically it goes for 4k... if you send me a tell offering 1.5k and I say no and then you offer 1.8k, you're on ignore.

Yeah, nothing better than someone lowballing a good price. When I was a young p99er I didn't know the going price of a Cloak of Shadows and Bisch was selling one for 1800 when they went for almost 3k then. I offered like 1500 and then he cussed me out for lowballing on a good deal and said he'd already sold it for the 1800. I have never made an offer since without looking up a relative price on the wiki lol.

Daywolf
02-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Sounds like he was trying to haggle with you, something that happens often outside the US. He says 1.5, maybe you say 4.0 (did you?), he fires back 1.8... you fire back a price less than the last, goes on until you meet a price, or not. Yeah silly foreigners deserve the ignore, haggling is ruuuuude! /ignore all :D

Nixtar
02-12-2016, 11:19 AM
So much srsnss over auctioning.

If someone lowballs you, just say "no, 2k firm", and that's that. Some people genuinely do not know you are putting down a low price to begin with. Then there players in EC who think they're giving you a good deal when in reality it is overpriced AF.

I mean, I took a break for 2 months and the prices had changed drastically, and sometimes the wiki is waaaaaaaay off as well.

Pokesan
02-12-2016, 11:20 AM
being rude in EC is harmless fun and I fully support it.

Nerrp
02-12-2016, 11:37 AM

"firm" implies no haggling. If you don't say "firm" then you'd be a fool to give asking price.

I'm going to offer less than your asking on any item in any situation even if it's already cheap. Why on earth would I not? Unless the word "firm" was evoked, then I wont. Simple.

coldslaw
02-12-2016, 12:26 PM
"firm" implies no haggling. If you don't say "firm" then you'd be a fool to give asking price.

I'm going to offer less than your asking on any item in any situation even if it's already cheap. Why on earth would I not? Unless the word "firm" was evoked, then I wont. Simple.

This.

If you want 2k, then say 2.25k or 2.5k. No need to be a twat about it.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Nah, people that try to shave 200p off an item that is already cut drastically in cost will not get a reply from me.

Troxx
02-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Nah, people that try to shave 200p off an item that is already cut drastically in cost will not get a reply from me.

That's not how EC works. Haggling is classic. Prices are not set in stone. The item is worth whatever the demand dictates, and a 4K item is only worth 4K if people will pay it. Haggling on items at the individual buyer/seller level is ultimately what drives prices up/down globally over time.

No point in being a dick. If you've got a set minimum that's firm just state it and be done with it.

When I sell things far under market price I make sure the buyer knows the average price as well.

Pro tip: try auctioning your items without a price in the auction line. Interested parties will contact you and you can easily go from there.

Guy asks you how much? Say honestly that average price is 4k and I'm selling it at 2k and not a penny less. Or, if you want a certain sum, start a bit higher and let them either pay your marked up price or let them talk you down to your real price and let them feel like they did a good job saving some money.

Sorry, but haggling is what happens in EC.

No need to be an ornery bitch.

mr_jon3s
02-12-2016, 03:17 PM
After being a tunnel rat for a while I have found that the only way to get the price you want is to over list the item. So say you want to get 1k for an item start selling it for 1.5k and watch the first offer you get be for 1k. People buying the item think that they are getting a deal and you know that you are getting the price you wanted so its a win win.

Baler
02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Haggling is a art. If the seller is too inexperienced in trading fuck them.

joppykid
02-12-2016, 03:36 PM
After being a tunnel rat for a while I have found that the only way to get the price you want is to over list the item. So say you want to get 1k for an item start selling it for 1.5k and watch the first offer you get be for 1k. People buying the item think that they are getting a deal and you know that you are getting the price you wanted so its a win win.

My dad was a car salesman and he always would say "Start em high, watch em buy. Start em low, watch em go"

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 04:02 PM
That's not how EC works. Haggling is classic. Prices are not set in stone. The item is worth whatever the demand dictates, and a 4K item is only worth 4K if people will pay it. Haggling on items at the individual buyer/seller level is ultimately what drives prices up/down globally over time.

No point in being a dick. If you've got a set minimum that's firm just state it and be done with it.

When I sell things far under market price I make sure the buyer knows the average price as well.

Pro tip: try auctioning your items without a price in the auction line. Interested parties will contact you and you can easily go from there.

Guy asks you how much? Say honestly that average price is 4k and I'm selling it at 2k and not a penny less. Or, if you want a certain sum, start a bit higher and let them either pay your marked up price or let them talk you down to your real price and let them feel like they did a good job saving some money.

Sorry, but haggling is what happens in EC.

No need to be an ornery bitch.

Nah... no time for that crap. Tired of people trying to save 50p on a 4k item. Been trading on this server for just about 5yrs. I've had enough with haggling. I tend to sell low and buy high just to get on with what I really want to do.

Nerrp
02-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Nah... no time for that crap. Tired of people trying to save 50p on a 4k item. Been trading on this server for just about 5yrs. I've had enough with haggling. I tend to sell low and buy high just to get on with what I really want to do.

"sell low buy high" - but you're not willing to let a 4000p item go for 3950p?

>:/

use the word "firm" - or expect to get offers lower than asking.

Daywolf
02-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Nah... no time for that crap. Tired of people trying to save 50p on a 4k item. Been trading on this server for just about 5yrs. I've had enough with haggling. I tend to sell low and buy high just to get on with what I really want to do.Well then you are not forward thinking. You have all this product just rotting on the shelves while there are buyers out there for the taking. Time to open a chain? Then you'll maximize your profits. just don't let them form some stinking union on you :p

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 04:15 PM
"sell low buy high" - but you're not willing to let a 4000p item go for 3950p?

>:/

use the word "firm" - or expect to get offers lower than asking.

Did you not read the other posts? I sell the 4k item for 2k... when I'm offered 1950p that's what problem is.

Enough with suggesting firm lol I do that! I've played the trade game on this server for a looong time. I appreciate all your suggestions but you're missing the point.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Well then you are not forward thinking. You have all this product just rotting on the shelves while there are buyers out there for the taking. Time to open a chain? Then you'll maximize your profits. just don't let them form some stinking union on you :p

Oh my shelves empty as quickly as something gets on it hehe

Sage Truthbearer
02-12-2016, 04:18 PM
I think it's pretty weird that people take low offers as a personal insult. Just say thank you for offer and move on. I personally always sell under my asking price, usually I'll offer to split the difference and see if we can work out a deal that both people think is fair.

This is how we used to do it on Live.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Yeah guess my EC tolerance is at an all time low. /shrug

khysanth
02-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I think it's pretty weird that people take low offers as a personal insult. Just say thank you for offer and move on. I personally always sell under my asking price, usually I'll offer to split the difference and see if we can work out a deal that both people think is fair.

If someone is insulted and starts acting offended by an offer I immediately suspect they are just RMTers trying to maximize.

Baler
02-12-2016, 05:01 PM
Did you not read the other posts? I sell the 4k item for 2k... when I'm offered 1950p that's what problem is.

Why didn't you sell it for 2050 to begin with? #FAIL ;)

Say Firm next time and quit your belly aching.
Also there is no rule that says you HAVE to reply to people looking to buy. Like I said earlier communicate as little as possible.

maskedmelon
02-12-2016, 05:02 PM

Indeed.

Bill Tetley
02-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Why didn't you sell it for 2050 to begin with? #FAIL ;)

Say Firm next time and quit your belly aching.

Ahh ok ya got me! Gosh what was I thinking?! lol :)

Ele
02-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Sounds like we need a bazaar where you can just set price and afk.

wait hell no.

Valse
02-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Sounds like we need a bazaar where you can just set price and afk.

wait hell no.

RIP the community if that happened :(

Lojik
02-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Anytime someone with a name Wholesaleretailer or anything that is related to "economics" responds to your WTB, you know they're trying to take you to the cleaners. Also love these-

You auction, 'WTS Item for 2k'
Joeshmo tells you, 'take 1500p for it? its all i got'
You tell Joeshmo, 'no'
Joeshmo tells you, 'ok 2k where i meet you?'

skipdog
02-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Some people are stupid assholes. Just let it go.

Bristlebaner
02-16-2016, 05:23 PM
That guy was a tool.

Vallanor
02-16-2016, 05:33 PM
My favorite:

Joeschmo (for like 30 min): "WTS item for 15k"
You: "I'll take the item for 15k"
Joeschmo: "Sec. I'm getting lots of offers. Can you do 16k?"
You: "No"
Joeschmo: "Oh other offers fell through in the last 10 seconds. I'll take 15k"

bloodmuffin
02-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Resellers go on my ignore list pretty quickly. Nothing like seeing that awesome deal and finding out a reseller sent a tell first and it's now back up for maximum price for the next 2 weeks. Lost out on a lot of good upgrades like that in the past.

With that said I was a bit of a prude while selling in my lower levels, nothing I sold was below the average price and I never budged on prices. Once I started to raid and got decent gear I started to care less about EC and just wanted to buy/sell my shit and get out.

Zill
02-16-2016, 11:24 PM
This thread is hilarious.

People actually pissed about the concept of haggling and reselling in a marketplace.

LOL

Arclyte
02-17-2016, 06:30 AM
tunnel jews are the worst

kilmoll
02-17-2016, 10:27 AM
http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/monty-python-memed-2.jpg