PDA

View Full Version : Stein of Moggok help

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey guys. So I just ding'd 12 last night and intend to do the Stein of Moggok
quest tonight, but I'm having trouble finding a good guide. I know what all the required items are, but I'm not completely sure where everything is and what order to get it in so I'm not making massive circles around Norrath. Can anyone point me to a good resource? Only stipulation is I want to get the Koalandl fish via the Regurgatonic quest so faction doesn't drop.

Thanks!!

Aamon
Enchanter of 12 Seasons

Fazlazen
12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=13

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks, I've looked at the guide on Allakazham's but it just tells you what to get and where. I'm trying to figure out what order to do everything in.

Fazlazen
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
There is no order in which you have to do the 4 first parts(kiola nut, honey jum, erud's tonic, koalind fish).
When you have gathered all 4 items, turn them in in East Freeport to Gregor, than in Oggok to Clurg the bartender to receive the stein of moggok.

1-kiolat nut is OOT only
2-Honey jum is rivervale/MIsty ticket only if you decide to kill bixies from there.
3-erud's tonic is Erudin
4-Koalind fish is Qeynos if you follow the recommendation dentalplan is giving, which is to just kill park your enchanter in qeynos, have a lvl 1 alt kill the koalind fish and then relog on your enchanter to loot.

I would do 2-3-4 first, as you can just bind in efp and go grab the kiola nut in oot then gate back to do the turn in to Gregor. 3-4 is a no brainer to do at the same time as you will be one boat trip away from either cities.

Dentalplan
12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Forget the regurgatonic thing, it's so ridiculously not worth it. Just make a level 1 alt to kill the fishes and loot with your chanter.

guineapig
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Forget the regurgatonic thing, it's so ridiculously not worth it. Just make a level 1 alt to kill the fishes and loot with your chanter.

^^^
Follow that advice!

Get the enchater to the pool area in Qeynos, log off, create an alt.
Human SK is a good easy one to use. Harm touch and melee that fish real quick then log off, log in your chanter and wait till you can loot the corpse.

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
oh wow i saw the posts about killing the fish with an alt but I didn't realize you could be level 1 and do so. thanks!!! that makes things a lot easier

Dentalplan
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I like human warrior following rodcet nife to kill fishes, just because you can kill 10-12 fish before you're KoS. Depends whether you're doing the quest once or plan to repeat it a few times, I guess.

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
hehe plan to repeat it till im rich

guineapig
12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
On live I would just delete the character once it was KoS and make a new one.

Fazlazen
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
if you wanna repeat the quest, grab a bunch of kiola nuts as it is the only item that isnt Lore!

Ralexia
12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
For the honeycombs, the easiest place I've found to farm them is Kithicor forest during daytime. All along the wall from WC to Rivervale, there are bixies roaming.

Here's how I do the quest: I use a lvl 8 DE enchanter. So sadly, I can't bind myself anywhere. If I could bind myself, I'd probably bind at EC tunnel.

1. I'm bound in west freeport at the gate.
2. Get Kiola nut from the bank and go to east freeport to buy the Innoruk drink
3. Gate to west freeport.
4. Go to EC tunnel and beg for a sow.
5. Run to Kithicor and arrive when its daytime
6. Kill bixies along the wall until you have at least 3.
7. Put extra honeycombs in bank at rivervale and get 30 gold
8. Do Honeyjum quest
9. Gate to west freeport and run to EC tunnel
10. Get a port to Tox forest
11. Do Erud's Tonic quest
12. Take boat to Qeynos(this part sucks)
13. Kill fish with alt and loot with enchanter
14. Gate to west freeport and turn in items in East freeport.
15. Buy another Innoruk's kiss, and get another kiola nut from bank
16. Gate to west freeport and run to EC tunnel
17. Get a port to the feerrott
18. Turn in items in Oggok
19. Gate to west freeport and sell stein in EC tunnel.
20. repeat starting with step 4

Occam's Butter Knife
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
if you wanna repeat the quest, grab a bunch of kiola nuts as it is the only item that isnt Lore!

And honey combs. Getting three of those is the longest part of the quest. Young halfling Druids will sell them to you for 2-3pp each.

I keep a flask of Nitrates in case I am near Ak'Anon. For example if in Unrest or Greater Faydark it's a quick dash to grab a regurgatonic. I've only used it once in my five runs since killing the fish is faster in most cases. It is why the temple of Life is full of corpses.

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Does char deletion/creation work the same way on P99 or is there some limit or something?

Randy
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM

The regurgatonic sucked so much. I didn't want to cheapen the game by logging a lvl 1 to kill the fish, etc. But after I did the tonic the 4th time and never got a real one. I gave up and "cheated" by having a lvl 1 kill the fish.

Occam's Butter Knife
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
The regurgatonic sucked so much. I didn't want to cheapen the game by logging a lvl 1 to kill the fish, etc. But after I did the tonic the 4th time and never got a real one. I gave up and "cheated" by having a lvl 1 kill the fish.

Is this a difference between live and P99? I had a 100% success rate getting the fish on live.

Darklake
12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
There was always a chance to get a bad batch of regurgatonic.

guineapig
12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Does char deletion/creation work the same way on P99 or is there some limit or something?

No limit. In fact you can ever re-use the same name almost instantly after deleting the character. If i recall correctly on live it took some time before the server would let you use the name of a character that was just deleted.

mgellan
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Level up an agnostic (important!) high elf chanter to 12 (Crushbone belts/pads!) Need Lvl 12 Illusion: Halfling, Invis, Illusion: Dark Elf. Must be agnostic since Illusion: Dark Elf won't fool anyone if you worship Tunare :)

Step 1: Chanter runs to EC Tunnel, bind. Run to East Freeport and go to the Seafarer's Roost. Buy an Innoruuk's Kiss of Death from the bartender Gregor for about 8 silver (lore alas). Hop the boat to the sister island in OOT. There she can buy (for the 1 plat) Kiola nuts, might as well buy a few since they're not lore, if you'll be doing this a few times.

Step 2: Gate to EC Tunnel, get a SOW. Run west to Kithicor. During the day, attack bixies until you have 3 honeycombs - check vendors as well. Alternatively pay 3-5pp ea to newbies in Misty Thicket or hunt there. Take 3pp to the bank and get it changed to 30 gold. Illusion halfling, alliance, and give 30 gold and 3 honeycombs to Kizzie Mintopp, in the burrow across from the Fool's Gold to get Honey Jum (lore). Gate to EC Tunnel. Honeycombs are one time sink in this quest but not too bad.

Step 3: Get a port in EC Tunnel to Toxxulia Forest. Run to Erudin and go to the Hawk's Inn, buy one Innoruk's Kiss of Death (lore) if you forgot to get one at EFP like I always do! Go to the third floor of the library and give the Drink to Sinnkin Highbrow, the bookworm. She'll give you the Erud's Tonic (no drop lore item) in exchange. You don't need Illusion: Erudite if you're indiff which you should be as an agnostic HElf. Boat to N Qeynos. Invis til you get to the boat to avoid shark attacks en route!! And don't fish off the boat, sharks can eat ya! The Boat is the other time sink!

Step 4: When you get to North Qeynos, invis to avoid corrupt guards, head to the Temple of Life compound in S Qeynos. Camp to a lvl 3 SK alt (death touch makes fish kill fast, lvl 3 easy and makes kill easy) - it's very helpful to go get a bind behind the vendors near the pool since if your SK dies after killing a few fish he'll deathloop on respawn at the guards at the front gate. The bind means you never have to make another. Once the SK kills a fish with a corpse, camp to chanter, wait to loot the corpse and grab it. Voila, one fish corpse and no bad faction hits. Under no circumstances use your chanter because of bad faction hits, and occasional Rodcet Nife incarnations pretending to be fish that'll own your ass in 2 secs. EB yourself on the chanter if your attention wanders, I once let mine drown answering the phone :(

Step 5: Gate to EC, get SOW, run back to the Seafarer's Roost in EFP. Cast Alliance on Gregor and give him the 4 items (Kiola Nut, Erud's Tonic, Honey Jum, Fish Corpse) He will give you 1 to 4 plat and the Bartender's Compendium. Buy another Innoruk's Kiss!

Step 6: Leave East Freeport and run down through the desert of Ro (North, Oasis, South) to Innothule Swamp. Run to Feerott from there, and then to Oggok. Invis and stick to the shoreline in North Ro and Oasis, and the west wall in South Ro and be careful of undead in South Ro since your invisibility won't fool them. You are safe in Innothule, Feerott and with Delf illusion in Oggok. Remember to recast when you zone into Ogguk if you Delf in Feerott!

Step 7: Once in Oggok, run to the end of the city where the tavern is. You want to be Illusion: Dark elf, they're not KOS in Oggok but the merchants will not sell to you. Go into the tavern, cast Alliance on everyone in the room, then Clurg, and give him the book. You should get the stein in return. Gate back to EC Tunnel, and go sell the Stein in EC for 175-250pp! Rinse and repeat.

There you have it, works like a charm. Thanks to all who gave me advice when I was doing my first Stein run, and to those who posted previous guides I used for source material. I've done it about 15 times since then, for gearing up my main LOL.

Regards,
Mg

mgellan
12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Is this a difference between live and P99? I had a 100% success rate getting the fish on live.

Pretty much, the fishes with the item seem to be slightly higher level but drop rate is about 50%

Regards,
Mg

Occam's Butter Knife
12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Level up an agnostic (important!) high elf chanter to 12 (Crushbone belts/pads!) Need Lvl 12 Illusion: Halfling, Invis, Illusion: Dark Elf. Must be agnostic since Illusion: Dark Elf won't fool anyone if you worship Tunare :)

Step 2: Gate to EC Tunnel, get a SOW. Run west to Kithicor. During the day, attack bixies until you have 3 honeycombs - check vendors as well. Alternatively pay 3-5pp ea to newbies in Misty Thicket or hunt there. Take 3pp to the bank and get it changed to 30 gold. Illusion halfling, alliance, and give 30 gold and 3 honeycombs to Kizzie Mintopp, in the burrow across from the Fool's Gold to get Honey Jum (lore). Gate to EC Tunnel. Honeycombs are one time sink in this quest but not too bad.

Step 7: Once in Oggok, run to the end of the city where the tavern is. You want to be Illusion: Dark elf, they're not KOS in Oggok but the merchants will not sell to you. Go into the tavern, cast Alliance on everyone in the room, then Clurg, and give him the book. You should get the stein in return. Gate back to EC Tunnel, and go sell the Stein in EC for 175-250pp! Rinse and repeat.

Nicely done and would make a good summary for the wiki but some suggested changes.

1) Crushbone belts and pads nuke Craknek Warrior faction in Ogguk. Chef Dooga might be on that faction and is in the room with Clurg. If you have not done this I would check it. If one wants to turn in the runners note for Crude Stein (+15 CHA) non-KOS faction is needed with Craknek's.

2) You can give 3pp to Kizzie instead of 30gp. No need to go to the bank.

3) Out of five I sold four for 350pp and one for 325pp. All sales were within 20 minutes, meaning I could be on the low side. I have seen them /auction'd for 400 and 450. I'd just leave out the suggested price since it will change.

Dentalplan
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Good guide mgellan, although I'd point out that if you're making an enchanter just to use for stein runs, a Dark Elf enchanter only needs to be level 8 to do the quest. Being able to bind yourself is nice, but not really necessary.

Qenaden
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Thank you all sooo much for all the responses. You guys are incredible!!

mgellan
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Nicely done and would make a good summary for the wiki but some suggested changes.

1) Crushbone belts and pads nuke Craknek Warrior faction in Ogguk. Chef Dooga might be on that faction and is in the room with Clurg. If you have not done this I would check it. If one wants to turn in the runners note for Crude Stein (+15 CHA) non-KOS faction is needed with Craknek's.

2) You can give 3pp to Kizzie instead of 30gp. No need to go to the bank.

3) Out of five I sold four for 350pp and one for 325pp. All sales were within 20 minutes, meaning I could be on the low side. I have seen them /auction'd for 400 and 450. I'd just leave out the suggested price since it will change.

1) Didn't know that, worth mentioning. Chef Dooga never gave me any trouble at all, although I alliance everyone in the room to avoid any issues... Considering how cheap the crude stein is probably not a deal breaker.

2) Burning 3 honeycombs to find this out wasn't worth it LOL :) Thanks!

3)I've sold one for 400, occasionally (rarely) 300 never seen anyone offer more than 250pp tho - sold one when I was tired and ready to camp for 175. But hey, whatever the market will bear, I haven't done one in a while and peeps twinking might have driven the prices up a bit.

Regards,
Mg

mgellan
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Being able to find yourself is nice, but not really necessary.

Not really sure what that means :)

My enchanter who does stein runs will be my next toon to run up to 50 and I intensely dislike inkies so personal preference. Level 8 -> 12 is pretty fast so crippling myself with a drow wasn't worth it for me! :)

Regards,
Mg

Dentalplan
12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Not really sure what that means :)
Bah, was supposed to be "bind yourself."