PDA

View Full Version : Curious About Project1999

Lindsay Carouselle
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi there,

Just some personal history to start out, I played on Innoruuk for a couple years (using this character name) way back in, well, 1999 and enjoyed every bit of it. Hung around 'til Velious, then decided to hang it up.

I wanted to give the classic EQ a shot again as I had heard a lot about emulators bringing back the old-time feel and gameplay that I had loved so much. I came across your particular attempt at doing so and I was intrigued to say the least.

My question is this: I understand that you're replicating classic EQ as much as you can, but how likely is it that you'll stay true to that? As I see it, current EQ has roughly a hundred thousand expansions (:p) and I'd hate to see the emulator "become" that. I'd really like to keep it to the original, Kunark and maybe Velious, but no more.

If it's progressing towards entering all aspects of EQ to the emulator, will there be a server available for those of us who don't want it to go so far?

I have a copy of Titanium on order and am waiting on pins and needles to get back in the game.

Thanks so much for what you're doing AND for this fan base who's supporting the cause!

"All hail Bertoxxulous!"

synraak
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
obligatory OMG A GIRL

Joking aside, P99 is slated to go up to Velious, so it should be right up your alley.

Madigan
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Woohoo, another fellow Innoruuk'er.

karsten
12-06-2010, 01:09 PM
hi my name is Karsten! I too am waiting on pins and needles for you to install the game, and welcome!

<3

Lindsay Carouselle
12-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Just to note, not a girl, but all of my old characters were female. I figured if I was going to be looking at the backside of a 'toon, it'd better be a lady's. :D

I never played in full screen and I much prefered to play with the spell bars and chat windows outside of the gameplay window. Can't remember the exact name of that particular view, but it was the one that the game started you out in upon first entry. Is that one still available or do I have to use full screen?

I've been watching some videos of Project1999 in action and I must say it's looking great. Trying to find one representative of Level 1 Qeynos, but I'm coming up with nothing. I spent a lot of time in the sewers beneath Qeynos and I think I remember my way around in there still.

Good to hear that the game's going up to Velious.

xshayla701
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Just to note, not a girl, but all of my old characters were female. I figured if I was going to be looking at the backside of a 'toon, it'd better be a lady's. :D

bahahaha

welcome!

nalkin
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Just to note, not a girl,

ಠ_ಠ

Akame
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I played on Inny before it became Nameless, so welcome. :)

You know everyone is male until proven female in theory but in actuality people are nicer to female avatars and if you have to stare at the backside of something in skimpy armor all day it might as well be female right? ;p

StealthAF
12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
hi my name is Karsten! I too am waiting on pins and needles for you to install the game, and welcome!

<3

Just to note, not a girl, but all of my old characters were female.

LOL Karsten :D

Dantes
12-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Frequently Asked Questions much?

One Tin Soldier
12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I played on Inny before it became Nameless, so welcome. :)

You know everyone is male until proven female in theory but in actuality people are nicer to female avatars and if you have to stare at the backside of something in skimpy armor all day it might as well be female right? ;p

You could play a male spellcaster since they're all cross dressers.

But hey Lindsay, I'm also going to be starting up soon so you won't be the only sort-of-newb on the server. If you're going to be in the Qeynos aquaducts you might even find me bumbling around down there since I think I've made up my mind to play a human necro starting in qeynos.

And since I'm posting let me ask a quick question because I can't remember. Does the qubert quest give bad faction with the necro guild. I'm thinking it does but it's been such a long time.

Brund the Decrepit
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Lindsay this is as close as you will get to what it was like in 1999. Get your hands on a copy of Titanium and you will not regret it.

When you log in for the first time you will just sit there, staring at your screen with your jaw hanging, having all kinds of flashbacks...

Trust me....

Nagash
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Just to note, not a girl

We have enough bloke, don't feel obliged to join us :P

Joke aside, the game is extremely close to Classic 99 EQ. The devs are working their arse off to stick to the reality as much as possible with just a few exception (for example the swords summoned by magicians won't proc on everything like they used to) but almost everything is the same, down to the extensions and new zone release order. The general statement is that they will keep on that idea but will not develop the server past Velious as Luclin is when the game started to go downhill for a lot of people.

Hope this answers your question. Welcome aboard :)

Nagash

Yak
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Can't wait for Tank class taunt to be fixed in Kunark.

Cerzi
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I figured if I was going to be looking at the backside of a 'toon, it'd better be a lady's. :D

You played in 3rd person back in 1999? :D

Nedala
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
You played in 3rd person back in 1999? :D

me too, whats the deal?

Occam's Butter Knife
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM

I had a guild mate in AO that had the same philosophy.

stormlord
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I never played in full screen and I much prefered to play with the spell bars and chat windows outside of the gameplay window. Can't remember the exact name of that particular view, but it was the one that the game started you out in upon first entry. Is that one still available or do I have to use full screen?

I've been watching some videos of Project1999 in action and I must say it's looking great. Trying to find one representative of Level 1 Qeynos, but I'm coming up with nothing. I spent a lot of time in the sewers beneath Qeynos and I think I remember my way around in there still.

Good to hear that the game's going up to Velious.OMG. You're talking about the old-style UI. You must be one of the 5% that liked it. I for one am glad I don't have to use it. But, no, it's not available. The titanium client DOES look mostly like the classic fullscreen window, though. But you have to download the UI changes (just follow the instructions in the forum).

The one benefit I can see to the old-style UI is that it labels all of the buttons and you don't have to do any mouse-overs or clicks or keys to see the UI. The only downside to modern UI's is that often times they take a little longer to get used to because functionality is often buried inside a context menu or elements aren't clearly labeled (they're usually an icon), but they offer more functionality and usually consume less screen space.

Honestly, would you let something small like this stop you?

Here're the setup instructions:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

silentwake
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
You can use /viewport setting to still get your hotbars and junk out of your field of view. if you want.

karsten
12-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Just to note, not a girl

I'm out

Sephrana
12-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome Lindsay :) Come play with us :) !!!!