PDA

View Full Version : What class is under played the most?

Tonden_Ockay
12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all I used to play EQline from May of 1999 till the first part of 2005. So it has been more then five years for me. I do not have the time I used to have to play this game (married, kids, full time job). However I would like to play some old EQ in my free time.

I have a few questions for all of you.

1.) What class is under played the most on this server?
If I can remember right on the server I uesd to pay on EQlive it went.

1. Bard
2. Mage
3. SK

I think that is how it went can't be 100% sure but I do know Bards were the most under played classes.

2.) All so is there a lot of boxing here on this server? If so how many can people box at one time on this server?

3.) Do people group a lot on this server? I hope they do and that everyone does not just mostly box on their own.

Thanks for your time and insight
Tonden Ockay

Dr4z3r
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
1) Ranger. :p People have been saying Bards were underplayed recently, but there seems to be a whole crop of them now in the 35+ range that are about to break into the high-level scene. I'd say in terms of actual usefulness-to-quantity ratio, Wizards are probably the most under-played, given that Kunark (now in the first stages of Beta testingn) will bring significant improvements to the class.

2) No. Boxing = banning.

3) Yes. There is a TON of grouping on this server. :)

Cruise
12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Rogue and Ranger seem to be heavily underplayed. Mag/Nec/Dru are heavily overplayed.

That being said, play what you enjoy. Most of the overplayed classes are ones that can solo well, so if that's your preference then go for it.

Cruise
12-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Oh yea, and groups are EASY to come by, especially at early levels. Can't remember the last time I couldn't get a group in Crushbone on my Rogue.

Tonden_Ockay
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
ok well my first character on EQ was a ranger and I did not find it much run to pay. So how over played are the following?

Tanks:

Warrior
Shadowknights
Paladins

Healers:

Clerics
Shamans

It is nice that boxing is not allowed for it helps to get people to group.

Infectious
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
war sucks go pal or sk and healer go which ever u find better to play

eqravenprince
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
1. Rogue, Ranger, Wizard
2. Boxing is not allowed
3. Grouping is done everywhere mainly cause of answer 2.

Tonden_Ockay
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Is it easyer to find healers or tanks on this server when forming a group?

Why do you say warriors suck? On EQlive warriors were the number one tank. Well they were the top tanks for raids but pally and sk may have been better group tanks.

Wizerud
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I wonder if people ask this question in the hope that they'll be somehow "different" or "wanted". Trust me you will not feel that way once youve been playing your underplayed class a while. There are some good reasons why they are underplayed and once you discover these for yourself you may regret your class selection and just end up playing the class you really wanted to in the first place.

Silvermink
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Ranger's might be underplayed as Mains/raiders, but try buying gear for one. Everyone is twinking one. Most underplayed I'd say wizard, cleric, rogue. 3 very effective classes in this stage.

Choosing a class because of some perceived imbalance is always a poor choice. Play what you want or what you play well. A distracted cleric is useless.

Rottening
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I rarely see Shamans at lower levels.

Dr4z3r
12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Is it easyer to find healers or tanks on this server when forming a group?

Why do you say warriors suck? On EQlive warriors were the number one tank. Well they were the top tanks for raids but pally and sk may have been better group tanks.

There's a 6-page-or-so thread on these forums that boils down to "Warriors are slightly better raiding tanks, Paladins and SKs are slightly better grouping tanks, but as a tank you'll never be turned down due to being one or the other."

moklianne
12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I wonder if people ask this question in the hope that they'll be somehow "different" or "wanted". Trust me you will not feel that way once youve been playing your underplayed class a while. There are some good reasons why they are underplayed and once you discover these for yourself you may regret your class selection and just end up playing the class you really wanted to in the first place.

I see it more about balancing out the game, because some people would like to see ALL of the classes represented with decent numbers, despite how much they may suck.

Loke
12-07-2010, 06:32 PM
If you're worried about rolling an over played class and no one wanting to group with you or any guilds wanting you - roll a cleric. Seriously. Every group needs/wants one and no guild will turn away a decent one.

Other than that - just about every class is going to run into situations where a group or guild is saturated with that class at some point. It's hard to predict what is going to be needed days, weeks or months from now. That being said, play what you enjoy.

KilyenaMage
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Rogue and Ranger seem to be heavily underplayed. Mag/Nec/Dru are heavily overplayed.

That being said, play what you enjoy. Most of the overplayed classes are ones that can solo well, so if that's your preference then go for it.

Don't kid yourself. You can get a Rogue PLed to 50 in a week for only 50k - come Kunark, everyone is gonna have a Rogue alt PLed. Don't level a Rogue.

Old Dog
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
If you're worried about rolling an over played class and no one wanting to group with you or any guilds wanting you - roll a cleric. Seriously. Every group needs/wants one and no guild will turn away a decent one.

Other than that - just about every class is going to run into situations where a group or guild is saturated with that class at some point. It's hard to predict what is going to be needed days, weeks or months from now. That being said, play what you enjoy.

This is a fact. If you enjoy being needed, play the cleric. I joined the server the 2nd week of November and played just about every class a few levels and some more. Since my mains were a druid, cleric, rogue and shaman on other servers, I wanted something fresh and really always wanted to try a wizard.

In past years, this class would have bugged me but at age 45, kids, travel for work, this class fits me now. He is just starting out but I actually look forward to logging him in which I was missing the past few weeks with the other classes. I think it will take me a long time to level though but that is ok. I see mages and druid blowing by me in levels in a few hours. I haven't grouped yet with him but I hope to later tonight (assuming people group with Wizards) as I have yet to group with a wizard yet on this server.

As for classes played, it is difficult to determine with so many anonymous people but when I do a who all class, the only ones (8pm PST or later) that I see with 20 or less are in this order: 1) Ranger, 2) Rogue, 3) Paladin and 4) Wizard. A few times I have seen Shadow Knights with 20 or less as well.

Your schedule sounds like mine other than maybe time zones. Try a few classes like Necro, Druid and Shaman (there are a lot of shamans out there and especially Trolls). See if you like any and go from there. Or pick a melee and test it to level 6 (bards are in high demand I read but that can change).

Good luck and welcome to this server. Very nice people overall so far.

Old Dog

Mcbard
12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

From what I remember on live, you only had to be one step above drooling and any guild would accept you, and if you had your epic you could spam /gu in broken spanish afk for hour intervals during raids and still get into even the best guilds.

On the flip side, it was always nice to meet a cleric that could play their class well. :p

dredge
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Cruise
12-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I started a Troll Shaman a few weeks ago and while in innothule swamp /
would show like 30 players and 9/10 would be newbie Shamans.

Now I'm lv. 14 and I keep joining groups where there's more than 1 Shaman, no biggie because we can split the buffs and keep the tanks healed, just saying there seems to be a lot of us.

Odd, I haven't grouped with a single shaman in CB yet. A lot of it has to do with location. Especially at early levels, certain classes will be a lot more common in certain areas than others.

Bubbles
12-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Odd, I haven't grouped with a single shaman in CB yet. A lot of it has to do with location. Especially at early levels, certain classes will be a lot more common in certain areas than others.

Crushbone is a few zones away from Halas.

Evil races don't generally want to hop on a boat in a quest to ruin their Neriak faction in Crushbone, especially since they start a gnome-toss away from Guk and Oasis.

Part of the old-school crushbone charm is the fact that, out of necessity, you see Ranger and Paladin tanks, crazy druid healing/tanking groups, and all sorts of wackiness based on the limited number of classes/races that start on Fayder. You honestly don't bump into a lot of evil races and humans and barbs until at least Unrest, where the loot/xp makes non-Fayder class/race combos actually hitch a port or a boat ride to check it out.

hedbonker
12-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I would guess cleric is a safe bet. Easy to get groups, can solo decently if geared. And not a day goes by that I do not get /t trying to recruit me to some raiding guild. So I have to assume it's a needed class...

Chanus
12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Part of the old-school crushbone charm is the fact that, out of necessity, you see Ranger and Paladin tanks, crazy druid healing/tanking groups, and all sorts of wackiness based on the limited number of classes/races that start on Fayder.

The only classes you can't start on Faydwer are Shaman, Monk, and Shadowknight.

hedbonker
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Back on live the zone was generally full of rangers and druids...

Mirakk82
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
The only classes you can't start on Faydwer are Shaman, Monk, and Shadowknight.

Does anyone remember at what point Gnome Shadowknights were added? Was it Luclin? Just curious. I tried to ignore them as best I could back in the day.

Stormhowl
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
There's a shortage of tanks at the lower levels; don't know what its like in comparison to the higher levels though. So any Warrior / Paladin / Shadow Knight (I'd recommend Paladin or Shadow Knight, better snap aggro compared to a warrior), or Clerics, are underplayed for sure.

You see a lot of Druids, Shaman, Monks, Bards, Necromancers, and Magicians. So anything that's NOT one of them is an under played class IMHO. :3

azeth
06-16-2011, 03:45 PM
beastlord

Stormhowl
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Does anyone remember at what point Gnome Shadowknights were added? Was it Luclin? Just curious. I tried to ignore them as best I could back in the day.

It had to be Luclin. A quick google search brings you to the SafeHouse forums, with posts from March 2002 that Gnome SKs/Paladins and Halfling Rangers/Paladins have been added:

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7777

Luclin came out 4 months earlier, in December 2001.

So yea, shorty hybrids were a Luclin era thing.

azeth
06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
So yea, shorty hybrids were a Luclin era thing.

I have a soft spot for Halfling Rangers, despite never playing either one.

Halflings just look excellent in green.

Striiker
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Pick a class which you would like to play!

If you are more concerned about grouping, play a class from the "holy trinity" Tank (any of the three), Cleric or Enchanter. When I am on with one of those classes and have to leave and can't find a replacement, it can really hurt a group to the point where it breaks up. :-/ (so I always do my best). Clerics can be replaced by other priest classes though in a pinch.
Regardless of what you choose, there will always be times when it's tough to get into a group. It's best to start a group on your own in these cases but that can be a challenge too if people don't throw on their LFG tags.

Doors
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Monks or mages without a doubt most overplayed.

greatdane
06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Tanks in general. Warriors are hellish to play until the very end, paladins aren't a good class in Kunark, and shadowknights are pretty dreary to level up if you take the correct race (one of the two with xp penalties, that is). There's a good deal more shadowknights now than paladins, mainly because there's some tasty SK twink gear available in Kunark, and I think paladin might be the least played class these days. Either way, a tank is what groups usually end up waiting for the most.

Dantes
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
This is an old post from 6 months ago. Got bumped by somebody asking about Gnome SKs.

Don't kid yourself. You can get a Rogue PLed to 50 in a week for only 50k - come Kunark, everyone is gonna have a Rogue alt PLed. Don't level a Rogue.

Which is interesting because Kunark is out now, and the above statement is totally true. KilyenaMage can predict the future :D

greatdane
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh.