PDA

View Full Version : /count distributions

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Raiding with <Anonymous> last night in Sky and had some time between boss kills.

did "/who all xxx count" for all classes, races, class/race combos, and levels to see what the breakdown is for p99.

/count gives the online players for the request even if the player is roleplaying or anonymous. (e.g. "/who all Barbarian Shaman count" will give all barbarian shamans currently online)

This was done between 7:30 and 8:00 PM CST last night (2/24/16), with 1108 total players online

Here is what I found.

http://i.imgur.com/DDZLcdQ.png
^ Class distributions

http://i.imgur.com/pUF4nJg.png
^ Race distributions

http://i.imgur.com/evmIjTg.png
^ Level distribution (level 60 omitted, because there were 248 players level 60 online)
Orange = Hell
Red = Double Hell

http://i.imgur.com/vj2ED3m.png
^ All class/race combinations sorted by popularity

- Dopa Mine <Anonymous>

Sorn
02-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Only 1 gnome warrior? D:

Pokesan
02-25-2016, 12:57 PM
pleased to see barbarian shaman is king of shaman!

Jauna
02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
All those people at 54 and 59 tho

Vallanor
02-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Gnome warriors are less popular than erudite paladins... ouch.

Jauna
02-25-2016, 01:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pUF4nJg.png
^ Race distributions

This puts the whole "elf simulator" thing into a proper perspective. Now I really want to reroll my warrior into a dwarf now.

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Here is the level distribution WITH 60 included

http://i.imgur.com/ya6iAbJ.png

Sage Truthbearer
02-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I wonder what these distributions would look like back in classic-era EQ. Maybe it's my rose-tinted glasses but I seem to recall a lot more variety.

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Honestly, I was surprised at the amount of variety I found in race/class combos - and class... there are a lot of the *ahem* disadvantaged classes, i.e. Wizard, Ranger, Paladin

And not a single race/class with zero (Gnome Warrior was close)

Danth
02-25-2016, 01:25 PM
My recollection from historic EQ was that classes like Rangers and Paladins were a lot more popular than they are on P1999 (both being mid-range at least), while anything evil tended to be a little less popular owing to folks being more hesitant to play evil classes and races back then. I think Shadow Knights were traditionally the least-popular class from Live; granted they don't fare much better here.

Druid consistently remains the most popular class year after year. Most days Warriors are in the middle of the rankings while Wizards tend to be a little lower; perhaps the original poster caught Warriors on a bad day. Bards probably have their popularity skewed somewhat due to their frequent use as East Commons brokers.

The perception of a tank shortage might have some merit. Tank classes should ideally consist of about 1/6 the player base or so but in practice are nearer to 1/8. This is rectified somewhat by the ability of Monks or Rangers to often fill in as tanks. Healer types seem to have more adequate numbers, although it's hard to judge since most of those Druids and a lot of the Shamans will be solo'ing on any given evening.

Danth

Jimjam
02-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Very interesting! I'm honestly surprised by the number of druids, I know they were popular classically (Dr00ds!) but I thought they were looked down on compared to other options on this particular server.

One thing I think would have been interesting is doing what % of each class were hiding behind ANON and which advertised themselves.

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Very interesting! I'm honestly surprised by the number of druids, I know they were popular classically (Dr00ds!) but I thought they were looked down on compared to other options on this particular server.

One thing I think would have been interesting is doing what % of each class were hiding behind ANON and which advertised themselves.

/who all xxx count INCLUDES anon and roleplaying chars, so that's not a concern.

Yes, druids are looked down on for GROUPS, but they don't group =) they solo. That's why it doesn't seem like there's a lot of them. They're all in the Permafrost Bear pits O.o

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Oh or do you mean the percentage of anon for each class? That would be interesting

Do /who all druid count

vs.

/who all druid

Hmmm - lots of druids and clerics are gonna be anon, because of port/rez requests I would guess

Raev
02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
It depends a lot on level. Most of those Druids give up in the Kunark levels when they realize Superior Healing doesn't cut it to keep a tank up.

Iksar monk as the most common race/class combo is almost expected; Monk is one of the best classes with only two race choices, one of which is clearly superior.

I'm mildly disappointed in the hybrid standings; all three classes got big upgrades in Velious: more spells, faster spellcasting, better skillcaps, and as primarily melee benefit more from very legit HOT armor. Unfortunately Paladins and Shadowknights still have a very limited raid role with Warriors tanking everything, but Rangers are solid DPS with some nice utility as well.

Othniel626
02-25-2016, 03:09 PM
This is a cool post, I love the graphs!

Thumbs up, didn't even know about this command.

thufir
02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
A lot of druids just get to 29/34/39 and then retire from adventuring forever in Dial A Port or as independent operators. You can make crazy amounts of cash porting during prime time.

Kaight
02-25-2016, 03:18 PM
This is cool, thanks for posting! I always thought rogues were one of the highest rolled classes. Interesting stuff.

Jauna
02-25-2016, 03:19 PM
It depends a lot on level. Most of those Druids give up in the Kunark levels when they realize Superior Healing doesn't cut it to keep a tank up.

Can confirm, as someone who wanted a healing group type druid this kinda.. stopped happening at level 39. 1-38 however was great. And from the looks of it, 51 wont make things any better.

Also shattered hopes when the non-cleric healing penalty will not go away in Velious. But I honestly could have sworn it happened when Hybrids got their exp penalty removed

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 03:20 PM
A lot of druids just get to 29/34/39 and then retire from adventuring forever in Dial A Port or as independent operators. You can make crazy amounts of cash porting during prime time.
Nerrp used to be DaP - in my experience and from others, when you press them about exactly how long they were on and how much plat they made, you can make about 600-700p per hour with Dial-a-Port.

^ FWIW, I guess it depends who you are if 600-700p / hour is worth it or not.

thufir
02-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Nerrp used to be DaP - in my experience and from others, when you press them about exactly how long they were on and how much plat they made, you can make about 600-700p per hour with Dial-a-Port.

^ FWIW, I guess it depends who you are if 600-700p / hour is worth it or not.
For those levels it really can't be beat. You might be able to farm more as a farming class in the 50s, depending on where you go or what camps are available. But ports are no competition and it's much less time intensive to get a druid to porting level.

Pokesan
02-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Which class is sneakiest?

/ all count X
/ all x 1 60

please do this for us! :)

Jauna
02-25-2016, 03:29 PM
For those levels it really can't be beat. You might be able to farm more as a farming class in the 50s, depending on where you go or what camps are available. But ports are no competition and it's much less time intensive to get a druid to porting level.

Porting is solid money however, cash camps and whatnot are always up to RNG and normally the high cash camps are always.. camped. If you log in during primetime you are always swamped with tells and that goes on until around midnight EST.

Bind in OT (people hammer in looking all the time)
Bind outside Karnors (fucking evac cash man)
Be sure to get to 57, higher level guilds just throw plat, gems and shit like that in your face for a SG succor
Try to get a handle on raid mob windows, rushing guilds tend to outsource ports and if you are in the right place at the right time you will be swimming in plat

Danth
02-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Druids used as port mules can perform that service without requiring gear, further improving their income potential: There's little sunk cost. That level 60 Shaman might be able to solo shockingly well, but he also spent the better part of half a million platinum getting to that point.

I'm mildly disappointed in the hybrid standings

I predicted a long time ago that removal of the experience penalties and other changes wouldn't significantly impact hybrid population here. That prediction appears to have proven accurate. Velious improves quality of life for folks who already play hybrid classes, but it doesn't improve those classes enough for folks to want to make them if they didn't already want to do so.

Danth

Kodim
02-25-2016, 03:47 PM
where da gnomes at

drktmplr12
02-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Here is the level distribution WITH 60 included

http://i.imgur.com/ya6iAbJ.png

smh

has no one pointed out that 30 is a hell level? graph indicates otherwise.

Nerrp
02-25-2016, 04:58 PM
IDK why I didn't put 30 in orange. You'll just have to use your imagination for that.

Forgot about 30

Expediency
02-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Porting is solid money however, cash camps and whatnot are always up to RNG and normally the high cash camps are always.. camped. If you log in during primetime you are always swamped with tells and that goes on until around midnight EST.

Be sure to get to 57, higher level guilds just throw plat, gems and shit like that in your face for a SG succor

This was true when velious first came out but succoring through SG is not nearly as good a money maker as everyone assumes it is. I've pretty much stopped doing them unless its for my guild or unless someone offers me $texas. There is at least a 2% chance that you will die either at the SG zone in or at the landing spot, plus another small risk of the dragon in WW being trained on you. Also it can eat up your mana quick and it puts you in a place (ww) where there is little chance to sell a port so you have to dead head out.

Expediency
02-25-2016, 05:02 PM
This is a great chart, what stuck out immediately to me was the low number of rogues. I assumed there would be quite a few more of them given the experience bonus, cheap decent weapons everywhere, and highly desirable grouping class. I guess they are just all in the normal places (mistmoore/CoM/KC) so it just looks like there is a lot of them.

thufir
02-25-2016, 05:16 PM
This is a great chart, what stuck out immediately to me was the low number of rogues. I assumed there would be quite a few more of them given the experience bonus, cheap decent weapons everywhere, and highly desirable grouping class. I guess they are just all in the normal places (mistmoore/CoM/KC) so it just looks like there is a lot of them.
Rogues have the disadvantage of being totally group-dependent, without doing too much more damage than a well-geared monk. If you're rolling a new character the choice between the two would seem fairly easy unless you liked the rogue skin for some reason.

eqravenprince
02-25-2016, 05:30 PM
I love these counts. I use to do this all the time back in 1999-2001. I always wanted to be unique. Back in 2001, Erudite Shadowknight was always the least played race/class. If you factor in religion, there are probably some super rare combos. Like a human cleric but choosing evil religion.

Pyrocat
02-25-2016, 05:50 PM
I wonder how the distribution would change if you removed everyone who was in EC. Less humans, half elves, and bards I'd expect.

Jimjam
02-26-2016, 03:36 AM
I love these counts. I use to do this all the time back in 1999-2001. I always wanted to be unique. Back in 2001, Erudite Shadowknight was always the least played race/class. If you factor in religion, there are probably some super rare combos. Like a human cleric but choosing evil religion.

human innoruuk cleric best cleric. Make innoruuk happy!

I was surprised by rarity of troll warrior!

Jimjam
02-26-2016, 03:37 AM
/who all xxx count INCLUDES anon and roleplaying chars, so that's not a concern.

Yes, druids are looked down on for GROUPS, but they don't group =) they solo. That's why it doesn't seem like there's a lot of them. They're all in the Permafrost Bear pits O.o

You misunderstood my point.

I want to compare /who all count (class) to /who all (class) to see the proportion anon for each class.