PDA

View Full Version : Project Ideas and a Story

blakedubois
02-25-2016, 09:00 PM
So a long time ago, I saw a thread on here:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86713&highlight=adventurer%27s+guide

and it eventually sparked a project of my own back in 2013. I've been an on and off player on here since 2009 and I tend to take my time quite a bit (my highest level character on here has been 27). The reason being is that I have a fascination with projects and setting fun goals for myself. Therefore I decided I love this idea and went with Bubbles' post (fourth one down) of doing one zone per level as a Wood Elf Druid. I've stuck to this exactly with two minor zone changes: I changed level 1's zone of Ak'anon Underground to my starting zone (which was Kelethin/GFay) and I changed 27's zone from Beholder's Maze to Upper Guk due to mainly only finding greens and reds. My point of bringing this up is to see if other people can spark some project ideas as well. I'd love to hear some and maybe try out some ideas, as it's like making your own challenging quest. I've also made my own Kunark only Iksar, but I haven't gotten too far on that yet. If anyone is interested, I'll give a brief background on my thoughts and experiences for each zone I've completed:

1: "Kelethin" - Even though it's Greater Faydark, level 1 is kind of a throw away level anyway. I just fought decaying skeletons and whatnot, although I did travel to Ak'anon originally to give it a shot.

2: Greater Faydark - Like level 1, I just stayed around fighting the same normal stuff. Nothing of note here.

3: Steamfont - The second character I ever made back in 2000 at my friend's house was a Gnome Mage and I think I only got him to 4. However, Steamfont became my favorite zone at the time and it brings back memories to go here. I just fought kobolds and spiderlings and whatnot for this level.

4: Misty Thicket - This was the first zone I really had to travel to, so I got on the boat and made my way to get bound in Rivervale. I remember going to that guard wall to fight stuff on the other side. Again, nothing too exciting, as these are just the first few levels.

5: East Freeport - Yeah, I actually did this one. I ran all the way to Freeport from Misty and got bound in East Freeport. Options were much more limited at this level, but I ended up fighting Lydl the Great and the one Orc Centurion that spawns in the desert area quite a bit. This was the first zone to be a true test of patience.

6: Crushbone - As you can expect, this was a very fast zone to get through. It's always populated and I basically just soloed a bunch of orcs near the zone line until it was time to go.

7: Butcherblock - This was actually a zone that took a while to get through. I stayed near the GFay line and fought lots of gnome skeletons and basilisks. Waiting for those level 9 spells was really starting to show here.

8: Kithicor Forest - Oh man...after overcoming the patience test in East Freeport, I didn't realize how soon it was until I was here. Being a completely different experience than what I've had so far, I was strictly limited to fighting giant spiders while constantly checking the time and wandering Rivervale a lot. However, there was a guild event going on here, so I was given lots of buffs when I needed them (I also tried to take at least one screenshot per zone and this guild got this zone's). It was a long process and I withstood a few deaths but I did get through it.

9: East Commonlands - Similar to my Steamfont post, my first EQ character ever was a Human Enchanter back in 2000. I couldn't see a damn thing at night and I'll always remember getting lost in EC and being terrified of the glow of the undead ruins and my friend telling me to "just stay away from the ghouls". I'll always love East Commonlands and I ended up joining my first group with this character at one of the orc camps. Good times. Also, level 9 spells. Hell yes.

10: Nektulos Forest - At least Bubbles made it easy and I only had to go one zone over. My entire time at this zone was spent at the undead ruins right near the EC line. I fought mummies and hoped decaying skeletons wouldn't spawn in their place. This was more of a relaxed zone with lots of tv in between spawns.

11: North Ro - This went about as well as you'd expect. I'm not a big fan of the desert zones, but it went by as fast as it could while fighting scarabs and giant spiders. I was ready to move on to...

12: South Ro - Well...makes sense and I might as well get these out of the way. I like South Ro a little more than North Ro, as there's at least a variety with the grass half. Bubbles' post said to fight the derv camps but I spent my time at the orc camps. I had a good system going by going between two during spawn times and I would get lots of buffs from all the people porting in.

13: West Commondlands - Sticking to Antonica was ok by me since it's my favorite continent. I spent this zone fighting dervs and kodiaks I believe. I tried staying near the druid rings as much as I could.

14: Dagnor's Cauldron - Oh boy...yeah...this zone does suck. It's funny that the Least Favorite Zone thread was just on here recently and this was a popular vote. I eventually found an orc camp on the west side I believe and mostly did a duo with someone who actually agreed to fight here instead of Unrest. Thanks, whomever you were. At least I finally got SoW though.

15: Erud's Crossing - Oh, awesome. Another terrible zone... I've barely ever been here so I didn't know what to expect. Just...so many willowisps...I wanted this one to be over with.

16: Lavastorm - For as much as I wanted Erud's Crossing to be over with, I actually kind hate Lavastorm too. Not to be all negative, but this is a zone I thought I would like more than I do. I stayed near Najena as much as possible and it also took forever. Mobs here are surprisingly pretty tough too.

17: Najena - Ah, Najena. I like this zone more than a lot of people do, even though level 17 is mostly spent clearing the same entry hallway over and over and that's basically what I did for this level. Najena is really only fun if you can gate out though :)

18: Lesser Faydark - I never knew too much about LFay, as my time spent here in the past was only running to Mistmoore or between GFay and Steamfont. I never knew of the Nybright sisters camp, but I followed Bubbles' post. It was pretty fun and I had a good rhythm going here. The spawn times on them are fast.

19: East Karana - Confession: I love the Karanas. All of them. Collaboratively, they are my favorite zones in the game. I think I like the open plains zones and they're perfect for Druids. East Karana was the one I knew the least and I was introduced to the undead gnolls. I had a good time here and also...self port spells are now mine. Traveling is finally simpler.

20: Highpass Hold - This was the very first zone that I was starting to run out of steam with a little bit here and I ended up taking a bit of a break at about the halfway point through this level. It started to feel repetitive and I was staying near the orc side trying to find groups. Eventually I did come back and pushed my way through it. Not one of my favorite zones.

21: Unrest - I have a love/hate feeling towards Unrest. It always sounds like such a fun zone to go to when you think about it and then it rarely is when you're there. There's a lot of downtime waiting for groups (at least for me) and the yard trash were mostly all greens. I fought a few at the gazebo and had a first floor group and fireplace group over time. I feel like my enjoyment of Unrest falls a little each time I go there.

22: Mistmoore - Mistmoore was over and done very quickly. At first, I couldn't get any groups and soloing was out of the question. After some time, I eventually found one group up on that grass hill near the zone line and just plowed right through it in one sitting.

23: South Karana - Even though I expressed my love of the Karanas, this was another zone I took a break at in between. I go to college full time and work full time, so my EQ time can vary. Obviously I spent my time here at the Aviaks and was charming elephants to fight them. Pretty standard.

24: West Karna - Possibly one of my top 5 favorite zones in the game, West Karana is not necessarily meant for level 24. The only option I found here was the camp of Ogres up in the mountains. Someone was camping the high level one that spawns there and was letting me kill the weak ones around the camp. They're spaced out just enough, so it was easy to pull singles. I liked this more than I thought I would.

25: Lake Rathe - Lake Rathe is just ok. There's not really much to it. I went deep into the zone to fight the really large Aviaks that are near undead towers I believe? My best friend logged on his mid-20's cleric to fight with me here.

26: Everfrost - This was yet another zone I took a break for and I just recently came back to finish it this week. It took an extremely long time and I spent it charming mammoths to fight icy orcs in the pavilion. It was really a grind to get through this one.

27: Upper Guk - This leads me to the present time. I did actually go to Beholder's Maze and grouped up with one level 30 guy that was there to fight Lord Soptyvr once. Literally everything else in the zone was green and I made the decision to change zones to Upper Guk and I have yet to start fighting there as I write this.

Overall, this has been a really fun and challenging experience and I enjoy adapting and being forced to come up with my own strategies to get through the zones. I'd love to hear more creative ideas for some alts if anyone has any...if you read this far into it :D Hit me up in game if you'd like.

Zuniga Druidia

Varren
02-25-2016, 10:19 PM
This is great. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for writing this up.

symbi0nt
02-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Very cool idea man!

blakedubois
02-25-2016, 11:23 PM
My only other vague project idea I had was to do something as a Mage with the different elementals, but I couldn't really come up with anything. Something along the lines of alternating each element or doing themed quests or zones but I have nothing yet.

Hyperbase-1999
02-26-2016, 12:36 AM
I took a dark elf war to level in gfey. Destroyed all starting gear and food. Bound at druid rings.

Learnt the language and had to get others to help bank for a long while.

Quite fun in the end.

Would like do the same with a woodelf but initial faction would be bad.

blakedubois
03-01-2016, 01:18 PM
That seems like a pretty fun idea. It's funny, for as long as it can take to earn levels in this game in a general sense, we still enjoy finding the challenge in limiting ourselves in some way. You could try doing the opposite and bring a Wood Elf to Nektulos. You'd have to bind in Freeport, but it's a quick run. I like this idea.