PDA

View Full Version : Collecting feedback/ideas for a new "true newb" rules guild

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Hi folks,

I am posting this here since this space gets more traction I think than the guild section to let you know about this thread. If this is against forum rules sorry!

I am looking for feedback/suggestions on a potential new guild, here's the gist of the post:

TLDR; Thoughts on "true newb" type of guild for alts using only what we find/loot/earn/sell to each other without outside help of any kind?

Link to original post: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230047

Thanks!

Pokesan
02-27-2016, 12:44 PM
first thing I can think of is promoting the cause for a couple weeks before "release day", so you have a higher population of "true newbs" to adventure with. Soloing naked blows.

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Great point, agreed!

blakedubois
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM
I have a low level barbarian that I made with the intent of using only looted or quested gear. I'd be interested.

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Great! Will pm ya when things get rolling blakedubois

thesphere
02-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Count me in too!

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Done~

Expediency
02-27-2016, 06:57 PM
I have put a lot of thought into this, and came really close to trying this idea in December with a three or four month timeline, with the goal of killing an old world dragon. I hate to rain on your parade but people here have a very narrow idea of everquesting. They want mobs, pixils, and winning. There simply is not a lot of demand for roleplaying or non-raid player events. When people try its not usually successful unless its a very short, uncomplicated event, like bumfights. If you keep your expectations low you may have some success, but dont aim high.

EDIT: I read your rules, way too many rules for you to police. Selling bone chips for 10pp a stack, for instance, is classic and how would you police that? If you want this to work, you have to have as few rules as possible. Only ban obvious, highly twinked characters. You have no way of telling of a person with a wraith bone hammer bought it for 30pp or for a "legitimate" price.

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback Expediency. You have a lot of good points, especially about short timeline when trying to create demand/high turn out.

I did list a lot of rules, and I'd love to list fewer or almost none...I don't think I/anyone would police them (there is no benefit to being in the guild unless you want to play this way, in fact there are by nature only deterrents to being in the guild) unless it was clear trolling/egregious and affecting others in the guild. Most of the point of the rules would be to invite people to follow the purpose and make it clear. I think I am struggling with trying to get simplicity and clarity, and instead having way too long a list of rules. Beyond clear violations (PL, Fungi/high priced proc gear, flaunting tons of plat, etc.) it's all honor system and up to players to follow or not follow it themselves. Again, I appreciate the feedback there.

The 10p/stack bone chips is a great example and I am glad you brought it up. In this guild, the idea would be to only sell to characters who are not taking advantage of the extremely inflated economy. It's pretty easy to get some major plat as a brand new player by selling convenience items to experienced players with a lot of plat (10p bone chips, 2p CB belts, etc.), and likewise to get a jump start with good (compared to dropped/quested items of actual newb mobs) "trash" items people will give away in EC (wraith bone hammer). Doing these things skips the intent of being in the guild because those items/money are present due to the nature/age of the server. A character in the guild is attempting to RP that the server is relatively new, and everyone is struggling along. In order to do that, we'd have to skip certain otherwise classic opportunities to engage with the rest of the player base that isn't following the guild intent.

Edit: To your point re: wraith bone at a "legit" price....in this guild, the "legit" price is looting it solo/grouped with guild (or similarly newbed up) players OR purchased/donated from an in-guild character. The 30p/amount is irrelevant for this guild, what matters is if it is from a guild/"true newb" character or from outside of the guild rules.

The idea is to get together anyone interested in making alts and fighting with rusty/tarnished weapons until dropped bronze ones are won via /roll etc. And then help each other out from that starting point without seeking advantages from outside forces (our mains, other friendly players not "starting from scratch", etc.).

I definitely want to spell out the vision/intent of the guild as simply and with as few rules as possible, just enough for folks to "get it" if they want to make a char to join.

Swish
02-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Start it in Qeynos/Halas/Erudin, that'll help separate any temptation :p

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
True enough haha

Expediency
02-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Edit: To your point re: wraith bone at a "legit" price....in this guild, the "legit" price is looting it solo/grouped with guild (or similarly newbed up) players OR purchased/donated from an in-guild character. The 30p/amount is irrelevant for this guild, what matters is if it is from a guild/"true newb" character or from outside of the guild rules.

I really dont want to sound like a jerk, and I want to encourage you, but this just is not going to happen. Even if people share your vision, you must have more objective rules. There has to be some way to quickly and easily determine within the charter of the guild what is legit and what is not, or you will quickly lose control of what is happening. I would suggest the following scenerio:

A. Announce a start date for the guild a week or two in advance. Have your guild already made by then, because it can take several days for a mod to create the guild for you. Also have a clear end date, after which the guild will disband or at least no new members will be admitted.
B. Give your guild clear cut goals, or at least one goal. That can be anything, but it has to be graspable and able to be communicated in two sentences or less. My idea was to kill an old world dragon, yours may be less ambitious.
C. Ignore every instinct you have to police the economic activity of your guild members. If someone isnt highly and obviously twinked, let it slide. A wraith bone hammer (eg) isnt even close to meeting the threshold for this. The weapon is a very common drop and would quickly become cheap even on a new server.
D. Accept help from characters outside of the guild. If someone is standing at a druid ring offering to port you, and you say no because its not classic or whatever, your members will lose patience quickly after their third run from qeynos to freeport. Plus boats dont work properly on p99. You have to strike a balance.

Something you didnt mention, but may want to consider:

E. Anonymity. If you're going to police something, have your players not release their main characters names. Otherwise you will get pulled into politics that are way beyond your control if members from competing top guilds join your guild and bring those relationships with them.

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks Expediency, this is very helpful honestly. I also like E. Anonymity. To your point about having a set time frame, the anon part could "lift" after that and people may enjoy that reveal event.

Definitely taking it all into consideration, thanks.

rollin5k
02-27-2016, 08:43 PM
How about limit trading to guild only. And maybe do just a few races in a localized spot like swish said. I'm down to join

rollin5k
02-27-2016, 08:44 PM
P.s. stop being a hater expediency

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Definitely simpler and accomplishes the intent re: trading in guild only.

I am thinking about the port issue...I guess we could allow buying ports at market value? Since our in-guild plat is rarer/harder to come by. Feels a little bit of a slippery slope. I guess it could just be not enforced and people can port/not port as they see fit.

Xaanka
02-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Did a group like this once in Runescape and it was very successful + fun. Same concept, except that we also had rules so that you could never leave the wilderness (open PVP area, where the level range increases as you go deeper) and all characters had perma-death. The game had item loot on PVP which made it interesting, because it was the only way to acquire most items for us. a+ would do that again, but it fizzled out after abt 2 months.

Xaanka
02-27-2016, 08:58 PM
also if you're gonna do something like this in EQ don't pussy out and allow porting or "market price for ports" or whatever. when's the last time you had to take a boat ride like it was 1999? or had to cross a dangerous zone on a level 5 character to play with your friend because he HAD TO ROLL BARBARIAN?! man up.

imo only allow a 1 time port at level 1, or never at all.

Sahazar
02-27-2016, 09:14 PM
1 time lvl 1 port, interesting hah! Thanks for the feedback

Pokesan
02-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I'd love this to be a thing. Cure the sickness.

Swish
02-27-2016, 10:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3CaBaT5.gif

blakedubois
02-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I don't think it would be much of an issue to keep it policed. If people wouldn't be able to stick to the rules, then just bypass the guild. Cheating the system would defeat the entire purpose of the guild anyway. I had a lot of fun aiming for low level quests only with my barbarian. He's still under level 10 though, so I can't say what it's like later in the game.

krazyGlue
02-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Tempest is recruiting on red for level 46+ players . We are a strong group of core players looking to breath some life into red . This would be a great time to try out red as we do daily planar clears and epics. Along with our normal velious raids

Star
02-28-2016, 01:07 PM
I would avoid Red and Tempest

Xaanka
02-28-2016, 02:52 PM
yikes

HallyVee
02-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Call me a libertarian, but...

I think it may police itself fairly well. If the guild sees someone becoming abnormally well geared, the incentive to group with them will decrease automatically, as they will lower the challenge for everyone.

The same will happen with playtime and previous knowledge; if I group with a neckbeard, they will rapidly outlevel me. If I group with an expert who knows the game inside and out, I'll lost much challenge.

It's all down to who you WANT to group with. (God I really do sound like a libertarian.)

cida
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
As a player new to the server, I like this idea but I think to pull it off they'd have to make us a new server..

Seems like a majority of people are twinked so finding a full group with no twinks outside the guild seems like it would be impossible. And finding groups at lower levels is tough enough already.