PDA

View Full Version : Druid charm animals

Orov
12-13-2010, 07:55 AM
So I've been experimenting with charming animals and using one to kill another, wait for charm to wear off, kill the one that used to be my pet. However charm doesn't last very long. Is that a direct link to charisma? Or weakness of the spell?

zt004
12-13-2010, 11:32 AM
So I've been experimenting with charming animals and using one to kill another, wait for charm to wear off, kill the one that used to be my pet. However charm doesn't last very long. Is that a direct link to charisma? Or weakness of the spell?

Charisma and the creature's magic resistance, I believe.

However, the level of the creature may also factor in.

OngorDrakan
12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
It doesn't work as well as it sounds :(

SirAlvarex
12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Good luck charming anything, at the very least with the low level charm, with anything less than 150 charisma.

On my lvl 12 enchanter, with 149 Charisma, I can get a white-con whisp charmed for 2 fights after Tashing (max amount of time). On my Wood Elf Druid, with 75 Charisma, charm usually lasted a grand total of 5 seconds on blue cons.

Charisma gear is cheap. The +7 bracelets go for 25pp, the +5 rings cost the typical ring amount, and I'm sure there are more CHA items that can be had for cheap by a druid.

But, I doubt you can get above 120 CHA without speccing for it, so the low level charming probably isn't going to work out.

I don't know about the higher level charms. I've read Druids who are able to charm fight in Kedge, so resists are probably less of a problem at higher levels.

Orov
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I figured I would pretty much be wasting my time but since I've been leveling solo I figured I would try it out cause on paper it seemed like a good plan. It turned out I had 2 mammoths to fight at once instead of 1 with another on my side. watching them kill each other is fun though. I've also had problems with spells being resisted even by blue cons. Is there anything I can do to prevent that or is that purely based on the mob?

Kassel
12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Druids get a animal only MR debuff at i think 53, until then i dont think its going to fly.

Daldaen
12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
It doesn't last long usually. My charm gear (have a pretty full set, minus a +15Cha crown -- Vermiculated/King Tranix Crown) left me around 150ish Charisma.

At that point it is still worthwhile. The thing most people don't realise, is that even though you spend alot of mana on it (200 at level 44-50) the damage per mana of the spell, if you consider it doing the damage to both your charmed pet / the mob its fighting, is much higher than our other options for damage. Even if it lasts 20 seconds that is still more efficient than 1 DoT.

Sometimes it'll last 5minutes and I'll be able to kill 3 mobs + my charmed mob in that time with just casting charm once (this is once you get Savage Spirit for haste). I like it because it is usually a fast kill, it is a wager because it can turn against you or the RNG can make it a complete waste of time, but when I play I afk during my med breaks and do other things IRL or troll the internet. So even if i have to gate out due to multiple charm breaks I don't really mind.

This is coming from someone who did level 37-50 almost exclusively in Kedge Keep.

SirAlvarex
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
It's definitely fun to Charm fight. That's the main reason I made an enchanter.

Seeing two mobs go at each other is a ton of fun. Just be sure to root the one you are fighting, that way when charm breaks you only have one guy to fight. And make sure you always have enough mana for a charm + mez + root, just in case your root breaks, your charm breaks, and you have two angry beasts running at you.

Akame
12-13-2010, 02:30 PM
It doesn't work as well as it sounds :(

Maybe not but it sure brings back memories, I remember grabbing 5 druids and charming every frog in the plane of storms and killing the stormlord bosses in there with them, our guild started showing up to watch and cheer us on, it was fun!

Taluvill
12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I used to animal charm in fear. Here is what I've learned.

Shiverbacks are not very high MR. Without a tash, I can get about half duration, more or less. This is at 200-205 charisma with all my cha gear and a +40 cha buff from chanters/shamans. With a tash, it lasts the full duration, and at that point im like a chanter with a pet that can heal.

So its not that its not possible, its just... not easy to do.

Sedanis
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I think I remember doing this on my Druid in live back in Velious on the Walrus's. I thought I'd keep the mob the pet was attacking snared, and always be prepared to snare my pet when charm broke in case I wanted to kite.

It's nice because you can damage shield on your pet, so even a blue con can be useful to attack white con mobs.

Isn't there a risk of your pet dying or you not doing enough damage to it to get exp?

Orov
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not certain but I think when that happens its like the same thing as a monk taking something down to 1% and FD'ing. I did have a pet earlier go down below 30% before charm broke and I deffo got exp when I killed the former pet.

Scrooge
12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Charming opens up so many doors, it's one of those abilities you really must reinforce until you feel comfortable with it in any situation.

insum
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Charm was never this bad on live, I know this because its all I ever did in NK for a lot of my levels past lvl 24, this was before Kunark too. (It got even easier in kunark and there were new zones to charm in, I spent a lot of time in EJ)

I also used to solo in Permafrost at around lvl 28 charming the wolves near the archeologist but on p1999 its imposible as charm lasts 5 seconds if your lucky. Even charming a lb or green mob charm only lasts a few seconds, all charm does right now (at least the lower/mid level charms) is waste mana. Your better off not bothering with charm till your lvl 50 by the look of it.

Taluvill
12-14-2010, 09:04 PM
For charm to be viable, you need to be 50 with 165ish unbuffed cha so that the shaman/chanter buff brings you over 200.

Its kind of stupid as it stands because 165 will not let anything worthwhile last for more than a minute or two.

Scrooge
12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
If you always "play safe" you'll never realize your full potential.