PDA

View Full Version : EQMac to P1999

en1ma
12-15-2010, 07:32 AM
I've been playing on EQMac for the past couple weeks to satisfy my EverQuest nostalgia and then I heard about this and well... running it on VMWare perfectly.

I originally wanted to make a Ranger but after searching through the threads everyone really seems to hate on Ranger's like the old days, and I guess they don't get awesome until Luclin+ with AA's so I went ahead and made a Mage for now. I figured I could at least use the Mag to twink some characters in the future.

I really wish I could play a class that can tank/dps/pull (I love doing those 3 things the most)

I was wondering if there was a way to use old school skelly models (brown ones?) I used the search but didn't find anything to the point.

Thanks!

Rahnza
12-15-2010, 07:39 AM
I really wish I could play a class that can tank/dps/pull (I love doing those 3 things the most)

Monk?

Omnimorph
12-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Monks were OP in classic with their tanking stats so yeah. Go for monk. But be smart and weight for Kunark :p

en1ma
12-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Monk can tank? Hmm, well maybe I'll have to give that a shot.

Why do you say wait for Kunark? Iksar is a way better Monk than Human? In that case I could play my Mage until Kunark Iksar Monk is out.

Rahnza
12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Monks were way better tanks in live classic than here. However, they meet more of your criteria than any other class. Monks definitely get an A in dps and pulling. You probably won't be tanking much past 20-30. Sk is also a choice if you want to tank but sacrifice dps and pulling. They can still do both of those, just not nearly as well as a monk.

No real need to wait, human monks are still one of the best classes in vanilla. However, it was probably suggested to wait because iksar are a slightly better race, and because of all the monk-centric loot un kunark (fungi, tstaff etc).

Just considering your first choice was a ranger, monks can dps better, pull better, and tank (sorta) better. And also 20% less exp penalty to boot, so people will be less reserved to group with you, as compared to a ranger.

Curmudgen
12-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I thought that the client we use had "hard-wired" into it the monk mitigation nerf that went in with mid-velious. That one was a huge change for the midrange monk that made tanking much less viable.

Loke
12-15-2010, 09:23 AM
SK or Monk I would say.

Also, Human monks are way cooler than Iksars!

edit: Reading the post above me, people keep mentioning a mitigation nerf in velious, but I honestly don't remember that. The major nerf monks got that lessened their ability to tank happened mid-Luclin as a result of Furor crying that monks rampage tanked better than warriors in VT.

Trimm
12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Also, Human monks are way cooler than Iksars!

Truth.

eqravenprince
12-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Bards are good pullers, decent dps, and can wear plate to fill in as a tank and perhaps taunt better with their songs to draw aggro. Not to mention all the other utilities they bring to a group.

Torqumada286
12-15-2010, 11:15 AM
If this is the classic version of the monk and not the mitigation nerf (which had druids in leather armor having better mitigation that monks in leather armor :confused:), then the monk can definitely off tank with no problem. I remember hunting in Skyfire one time with a group. We had a warrior as the main tank and my monk was pulling. We were fighting an ancient wurm, when someone trained us with a second ancient wurm. I immediately jumped in and started tanking the second wurm with some healing help from the party's Shaman, while the rest of the party finished off the first one. I was never a top tier player, having more middle of the road equipment than top of the line equipment (I may or may not have had my epic at that time.) There were other times that I was the tank for the party. The only problem is, a monk can't tank properly without taunt. He can only do so with damage and the moment someone out damages him it becomes a bit hard to pull the mob off the new #1 hate list occupier. After the mitigation nerf, I was never able to tank for a party, not even off tank.:( I could only hope to get the mobs attention long enough for the rest of the party to get away if something happened to the party's tank.

Torqumada

Torqumada286
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Truth.

Double Truth!!

Torqumada

Lazortag
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Bards are good pullers, decent dps, and can wear plate to fill in as a tank and perhaps taunt better with their songs to draw aggro. Not to mention all the other utilities they bring to a group.

Bards are fine at pulling/CC-ing, but Bard DPS is terrible if you're tanking (it's okay if all you do is twist DOT's but it's not where a Bard shines). But yes, they are excellent tanks in camps like royals in SolB where the mobs don't hit that hard (just dual wield staff of writhing/obsidian shard and twist your Slow/Snare song to draw aggro, it's mindlessly easy). I wouldn't recommend a Bard tanking for freeti though (although I've never tried it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work as they're too squishy. I've have trouble tanking BnB in my experience so that should give you an idea).

the OP's choice of mage until he can twink an iksar monk sounds fine.

Nynn
12-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Play the class you want to and have fun with, don't let people discourage your choice.

Rangers might not be the "best" class in terms of raw numbers, but what's really important with any class is how you play.

Alexzia
12-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Rangers are fine really. A lot of people just don't understand how and why. Plus there is a tendency to bandwagon on the ranger hate people remember from the kunark era while also forgetting we aren't at kunark yet.

If you like playing a ranger, by all means, do so.