PDA

View Full Version : What do most people do after you have leveled up?

warioman91
04-28-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm asking this out of "I haven't played EQ, and would like to know: ...."

This may seem like a rather broad or general question, but what do players do in EQ regarding what most in other mmos would call end game?

There's more gear grinding I suppose with Raids? But is the only purpose of that to simply have better slotted items? (How long can the grind of content sustain a player?)

Do people usually just want to roll new toons and have fun leveling again?

Is PVP even a thing(on the PVE server)?

I'm just sort of wondering what keeps everyone around and playing?

Kalex716
04-29-2016, 11:29 AM
The easy answer is Raids. And thats a big part for a lot of people.

The other thing might be twink projects for alt classes. Most classes have a "suite" of must have utility gear/items to give them an edge, and questing/farming for these packages can be fun before you even actually ROLL the alt class. You will obviously spend time getting these for your MAIN class as well.

Other goals might include obscure quests that involve heavy factioning, or tradeskilling in very particular ways in order to achieve. The prayer shawl line comes to mind...

Marketplacing, can also be a big thing people get in and out of for certain periods of time. This usually involves having a high end item goal in mind, and you have to raise lots of money in order to buy it.

Named farming is also a big thing people get involved in. Raiding obviously supplies best in slot items, but the game is rich with so many cool pieces of gear, that many of them can be targeted and hunted down without raid forces. +6 necks in western wastes are a perfect example of this. You don't need a raid force to kill the dragons that drop them, and while the item isn't best in slot, its good enough that you can feel confident in ignoring upgrades to that slot for a long time.

The goals and projects that you can occupy your time with are pretty deep, if you want to dial in and connect with the game more.

thufir
04-29-2016, 11:39 AM
If you don't neckbeard it here it will be a very, very long time before you see 60, anyway. The grind is long and full of terrors. Unless you plan on spending 8 hours a day here for awhile I wouldn't worry too much about the endgame.

I genuinely don't know what keeps people playing here that have spent that time, though. Been trying to figure that out myself. EQ is fun, but not *that* fun.

Cecily
04-29-2016, 11:45 AM
1-60 is the fun you're gonna have. You just stay because of poor life decisions.

SowIsLifeSowIsLove
04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
The grind is long and full of terrors.

mr_jon3s
04-29-2016, 12:22 PM
If you decide to raid you get called in the middle of the night to go kill mobs. Which just interrupts the dreams of Luclin and PoP.

azeth
04-29-2016, 12:44 PM
If you decide to raid you get called in the middle of the night to go kill mobs.

Most cellphones allow the user to decrease the notification volume. I believe to the point where its actually silent.

Confirm?

thufir
04-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Most cellphones allow the user to decrease the notification volume. I believe to the point where its actually silent.

Confirm?

seriously, you have to turn your cellphone volume down every night because of worry for batphone calls?

"this deal is getting worse all the time"

NovaSeven
04-29-2016, 12:59 PM
After poopsocking for 27 hours straight on my 60, I went outside at 4am and saw a jackrabbit with a woman's face. So there's that.

Cecily
04-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I've also hallucinated after playing EQ. Looked out window to backyard and saw 10 foot tall vegetation everywhere that I was reasonably certain wasn't there earlier. That was neat.

Sorn
04-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Confirm?

It's called the Do Not Disturb function on the iPhone. Just don't forget to turn it off during the day.

azeth
04-29-2016, 01:23 PM
seriously, you have to turn your cellphone volume down every night because of worry for batphone calls?

err what? Do you typically keep your phone on full blast 11pm - 5am?

Some of us work.

thufir
04-29-2016, 01:38 PM
err what? Do you typically keep your phone on full blast 11pm - 5am?

Some of us work.

Some of us don't get calls at 11pm because our friends and co-workers keep regular hours. I'm old, man.

wharfrat70
04-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Wait - I can't be 105 on this server?

Cecily
04-29-2016, 02:05 PM
With enough station cash, anything is possible.

Xynta
04-29-2016, 02:09 PM
You raid and create bazaar bots (is the bazaar in place yet?) to make money for you while you sleep.

At least, that's what I did way back when. But I'm also old, have kids and a real job now :)

Doctor Jeff
04-29-2016, 02:16 PM

i know this is a joke but my phone has an automatic do not disturb feature and i can put specific rules for specific notifications. for example. my work emails will alert me at midnight if they are important, but a batphone wont cause my phone to go off between 10pm and noon

Blitzers
04-29-2016, 02:32 PM
There's always Lawyer Quest.

Rararboker
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
You raid and create bazaar bots (is the bazaar in place yet?) to make money for you while you sleep.

At least, that's what I did way back when. But I'm also old, have kids and a real job now :)

No bazaar. Won't ever have one on this server, luckily.

Trungep99
04-29-2016, 03:03 PM
the raid schene is very competative. multiple people competing for the same mob but only one team will be victorious and will achieve the rewards with the victory. the competition keeps some people such as my self to continue raiding. It is also nice to be able to have one very powerful character to go back to trivial zones to farm for alts or just for fun.

myriverse
04-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Walk the Earth like Kwai Chang Caine.

And eat frogs.

leftharted
04-29-2016, 03:35 PM
No bazaar. Won't ever have one on this server, luckily.

I disagree with 'Luckily"..

don't get me wrong, im against nexus/PoK; but im in a minority group that would accept a Bazaar function... (and Horses, but that's a different story..)

IMO; it would be a huge quality-of-life improvement... its the same as selling your wares in EC; only theirs no real room to Haggle, and you don't have to babysit Shift+up your /auction message....

I know; its 'classic' ... but it would make items much more available... Sure, we have the forum and the tracking websites; but that only goes so far... you're still at the mercy of Connecting with that person at just the right time...

I would say the only true Negative would be fear of EC crashing from too many afk bazaar pc's. Not sure how that could be remedied, if at all... maybe enable all city zones to be able to setup a /bazaar; so the afk population can spread out a bit...

I don't believe it will ever happen though; but I fail to see how it would be a negative against the server in any way; if it was somehow added Without incorporating luclin//nexus.

just my 2c.

Victorio
04-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Get to 60, then do it again...

Batso
04-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Some of us don't get calls at 11pm because our friends and co-workers keep regular hours. I'm old, man.

You can enable quiet hours on twitter (batphone)

jolanar
05-01-2016, 03:32 PM
If you can actually make it to 60 here, then you won't really have to worry about finding things to do when you get there. Otherwise you'd be burnt out long before making it there.

1 to 50 and 51 to 60 are practically two separate games.

Rararboker
05-01-2016, 03:36 PM
..stuff...

Cool story Hanzel.

GinnasP99
05-02-2016, 12:43 AM
I thought you get to 60 here, and then spend every waking moment keeping people you don't like from getting things. Am I playing this game wrong ?

iruinedyourday
05-02-2016, 03:06 AM
I havent read all of these (believe me i will sigh fml) but every time I think about anything I want in EQ I try to remind myself that once I get it, no mater HOW much I tell myself I will relax and then go hang out in the karanas and hail lions and farmers and shit enjoying my pixels and self satisfaction & worth, enjoy every pixel smelling every one as I go by. I never do.

I just come up with a new thing to progress towards, like having a lvl 60 in every class/race combo or camp a farm bot at every named.. Oh but then I need a rez toon at every dificult to navigate to named oh I need a port toon next to every rez toon and on and on and on untnil I die.

Even 17 years later I dont see an end to this nightmare.

Sodors Finest Poster
05-02-2016, 07:31 AM
I play this game to hang out in places like Karnor's Castle and watch trains.

Usually with 'Thomas and Friends Theme.mp3' playing on endless loop.

Swish
05-02-2016, 07:36 AM
Get to 60, then do it again...

That's about the most you can hope for here.

Centurionx
05-02-2016, 08:37 AM
The highest level I've reached was 58, Barb Shaman(Not counting a 80+ wizard I had when I played live again much later on). I'd imagine I would probably have an alt project or two, twink them and do it all over again ;) I mainly play for nostalgic purposes, so far it has been great for that!

indiscriminate_hater
05-02-2016, 11:25 AM
kill as many gnomes as quickly as possible

Wiley
05-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Casually level to 60.. Create new character..
Etc.. Wife/kid/job scowl at you ready to attack!

leftharted
05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Cool story Hanzel.

Thanks?

iruinedyourday
05-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Wife/kid/job scowl at you ready to attack!

Nathanian
05-02-2016, 01:34 PM
I play this game to hang out in places like Karnor's Castle and watch trains.

Usually with 'Thomas and Friends Theme.mp3' playing on endless loop.

I do the same, however when I take a break from EQ I like to dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ToZBopL1q0

snead
05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
I disagree with 'Luckily"..

don't get me wrong, im against nexus/PoK; but im in a minority group that would accept a Bazaar function... (and Horses, but that's a different story..)

IMO; it would be a huge quality-of-life improvement... its the same as selling your wares in EC; only theirs no real room to Haggle, and you don't have to babysit Shift+up your /auction message....

I know; its 'classic' ... but it would make items much more available... Sure, we have the forum and the tracking websites; but that only goes so far... you're still at the mercy of Connecting with that person at just the right time...

I would say the only true Negative would be fear of EC crashing from too many afk bazaar pc's. Not sure how that could be remedied, if at all... maybe enable all city zones to be able to setup a /bazaar; so the afk population can spread out a bit...

I don't believe it will ever happen though; but I fail to see how it would be a negative against the server in any way; if it was somehow added Without incorporating luclin//nexus.

just my 2c.

pretty sure people still link the item on this server -- which is not classic. back in my day you either said bag of wares at torch1/2 or typed them all out. kind of funny people are OKAY with other non-classic features but not the bazaar which removed you having to sit in a tunnel all day spamming what you got for sale. not sure why anyone finds spamming the tunnel method fun. you can still haggle on live with someone who has a shop -- just send them a PM with your offer.

leftharted
05-02-2016, 02:01 PM
pretty sure people still link the item on this server -- which is not classic. back in my day you either said bag of wares at torch1/2 or typed them all out. kind of funny people are OKAY with other non-classic features but not the bazaar which removed you having to sit in a tunnel all day spamming what you got for sale. not sure why anyone finds spamming the tunnel method fun. you can still haggle on live with someone who has a shop -- just send them a PM with your offer.

That's very true! its been a good 16/17 years; so its a bit fuzzy... but you're right, I recall the hoards of people at each torch (and shady was a spot on my old server) doing the whole "2 bags at T2, melee gear" and you'd have to wait for them to trade the bags to open and inspect every little thing...

All that being said, I also do NOT want to revert back to this... the convenience of seeing the item link would be hard to live without; now that I recall the old ways/days... and a /bazaar feature in the existing meta-game (again, NOT adding PoK/Nexus) would only improve on things, IMO.

Probably will never happen though, from what I can tell. So, this is all just daydreaming in the end.. but I'd personally love the addition. ;)

snead
05-02-2016, 02:13 PM
That's very true! its been a good 16/17 years; so its a bit fuzzy... but you're right, I recall the hoards of people at each torch (and shady was a spot on my old server) doing the whole "2 bags at T2, melee gear" and you'd have to wait for them to trade the bags to open and inspect every little thing...

All that being said, I also do NOT want to revert back to this... the convenience of seeing the item link would be hard to live without; now that I recall the old ways/days... and a /bazaar feature in the existing meta-game (again, NOT adding PoK/Nexus) would only improve on things, IMO.

Probably will never happen though, from what I can tell. So, this is all just daydreaming in the end.. but I'd personally love the addition. ;)

i'm personally okay with books cause i view this as a quality of life change as well. it does make the game feel smaller but if you wanted to do it the old fashion way be my guest.

JurisDictum
05-02-2016, 03:20 PM
I don't think there is any evidence the majority of people like EC instead of the Bazaar.

There is always a vocal minority that really thinks its important. They generally argue that there some kind of social experience of great value in it. There are people that like to haggle.

I suspect that its more often about how much money there is to be made keeping the status quo. Right now there is a parasite tunnel class of people that make millions of pp off flipping items. They wait for impatient people, play little bait-and-switch games, cash in on RMTers (many of them RMT)...they do a lot of things besides play the game.

The thing that sucks, is it hits the people trying to start EQ with nothing the hardest. There would be an active low-level economy on this server if people didn't have to waist their time spamming their wares in the tunnel. It would also be a huge quality of life improvement for most people that actually play the game.

khanable
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't think there is any evidence the majority of people like EC instead of the Bazaar.

There is always a vocal minority that really thinks its important. They generally argue that there some kind of social experience of great value in it. There are people that like to haggle.

I suspect that its more often about how much money there is to be made keeping the status quo. Right now there is a parasite tunnel class of people that make millions of pp off flipping items. They wait for impatient people, play little bait-and-switch games, cash in on RMTers (many of them RMT)...they do a lot of things besides play the game.

The thing that sucks, is it hits the people trying to start EQ with nothing the hardest. There would be an active low-level economy on this server if people didn't have to waist their time spamming their wares in the tunnel. It would also be a huge quality of life improvement for most people that actually play the game.

Get a load of this pixel economy casual

Bro if you ain't flipping pixels for 16 hours in the tunnel then you don't deserve great wealth

Cecily
05-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Selling a CoF atm (75k firm that's not a bad price buy it dammit) and it seems like I might need to put in 16 a day to move it. Sell things when you sleep and play the game when you're awake seems so much more civilized.

khanable
05-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Selling a CoF atm (75k firm that's not a bad price buy it dammit) and it seems like I might need to put in 16 a day to move it. Sell things when you sleep and play the game when you're awake seems so much more civilized.

Oh what do people need to wake up at 2am just to buy items?

You're just moving the goal posts

Cecily
05-02-2016, 04:40 PM
I guess a distant second option could be while you're at work if applicable.

Ravager
05-02-2016, 04:56 PM
The forum always worked fine for me when it comes to buying and selling without being online.

khanable
05-02-2016, 05:24 PM
i'm sorry but the people who put in more time in ec tunnel screensharing p99 auctions.com deserve all the markup profits

get fukt casual sellers

sell better

eisley
05-02-2016, 05:38 PM
i like to push the limits of what is accepted as "possible," within the constructs of the game, it adds a problem solving aspect to the game that has a very classic feel. one example: learning how to duo the full Circlet of the Falinkan MQs, each mob providing its own unique challenges, and interesting ways to apply our small army of characters.

this is just my little way to enjoy the game, there are countless others. everyone either finds their own reason, or finds none and quits.

Swish
05-02-2016, 05:49 PM
In the same line of thinking... the solo artist challenge thread was really good in terms of "something to do", shame it lost a lot of credibility due to people like Daldaen abusing puppet strings to get things done, but still worth a look.

thufir
05-02-2016, 07:03 PM
In the same line of thinking... the solo artist challenge thread was really good in terms of "something to do", shame it lost a lot of credibility due to people like Daldaen abusing puppet strings to get things done, but still worth a look.

from https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159515

Rants and Flames
Any rant or flame against a player or guild should be contained inside of the Rants and Flames forum of the respective Blue or Red server forums. Do not bash a guild or a player outside of Rants and Flames.

pls ban already, tired of him sideswiping someone in every. single. thread. he posts in

Nocsucow
05-02-2016, 07:12 PM
lvl alts , hang with the Bros, socialize and have fun.

utenan
05-02-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't think I've actually " leveled up " but something I've always loved about EQ is the freedom the game gives you to make your own fun. In my opinion your only limited by your creativity!

Swish
05-02-2016, 09:04 PM
from https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159515

Rants and Flames
Any rant or flame against a player or guild should be contained inside of the Rants and Flames forum of the respective Blue or Red server forums. Do not bash a guild or a player outside of Rants and Flames.

pls ban already, tired of him sideswiping someone in every. single. thread. he posts in

I must protest, I think a 6 hour Skype conference call is required to revisit some of these FQ rules.

Also if Thufir wishes to uphold his complaint, I wish to make a complaint about being complained about - he is targeting me and making me feel victimized, harassed and unwelcome on a community forum designed to promote positive vibes and all inclusiveness.

Thank you <3

Also, has anyone made every race option of a class and got it to 60 yet? I thought about it for "rogues"... but didn't want to do the gnome thing.

Nocsucow
05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I've done all 60 iksar and 60 gnomes

warioman91
05-03-2016, 12:08 AM
I do the same, however when I take a break from EQ I like to dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ToZBopL1q0

I prefer 5 minutes of what is ultimately a 30 second loop lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkylMPBxqYc&ab_channel=esotericGoth

these last couple months have been the Internet's 15 minutes of cringe.