PDA

View Full Version : EQ through microsoft remote desktop

Sponge
01-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Anyone know what settings/files must be tweaked to get this to work? I'm getting an Application Error about a memory reference that can't be read.

Rogean
01-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Yea, Not gonna happen.

Sponge
01-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Found a workaround.

Since I'm forced to use Microsoft Remote Desktop from work instead of VNC, I can remote desktop to one of my PCs, then use VNC from that one to another PC, and load up EQ. :)

Now I can tradeskill from work @ 1fps or so.

Somekid123
01-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Screenshot.

guineapig
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.skinstep.com/product_images/obsession-eau-parfum-spray-01759784006.jpg

Sponge
01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.pravusmortis.com/forums/files/rdvncftw_160.jpg

Crappy Microsoft Remote Desktop adds gridlines when you bring it to windowed mode. H8 M$

Secrets
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Crappy Microsoft Remote Desktop adds gridlines when you bring it to windowed mode. H8 M$

That's the weirdest thing i've EVER seen. And i've seen a lot of weird technology related things.

Zordana
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
actually.. use win7 and RDC and thers no problem at all, i used to play everquest2 over RDC.. the mousecontrol SUCKED but if you didnt use the mouse it was ok :P

Uaellaen
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Zordanas solution actualy works vista and higher, and server 2008 and higher ..

Goobles
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Teamviewer ftw

Deanob
01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
To run any application in RDP that prevents it from opening, hold left CTRL then open.
Although EQ should say no 3D device found, VNC mirrors its own 3D device so it makes this possible.

Are you connected to home from work? Why dont you just VNC into your box directly? Just open 5900 and point on your home router. If your company blocks 5900 like mine does, specify a 10,000+ port instead.

Also that version of RDP is SUPER old. Get a new version ... (will remove the grids)

Uaellaen
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
RDP vista+ does not have the "3D device not found" problem, since it supports DirectX (wich lower versions dont)

Falisaty
01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
lol why bother RDT at work just buy you a 8 gig flash drive for 10 bucks and load the game onto it.... that's how i play at work.

lyyfeleech
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
lol why bother RDT at work just buy you a 8 gig flash drive for 10 bucks and load the game onto it.... that's how i play at work.

You sir are brilliant

Uaellaen
01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
well, there are people that have restrictions at work ...firewalls and such you know ;)

dokfeelg00d
01-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Yeah i just copied EQ onto a 4 Gig drive and it looks like it works, nice idea /nod.. Now to figure out what to do with it lol...

Sponge
01-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, however these are things I've considered already, I'm just trying to go about this in a way that if I ever got caught, I'd only get a slap on the wrist, not lose my job.

Luckily, my company likes to use MS RD to connect to offsite servers, so it enables me to use it as well for whatever I please.

One thing that I've been wondering though, if I were to use VNC from here (through the RD port), which is what I would prefer, would there be any way the traffic from VNC rather than RD would throw up any red flags? I'm not sure what kind of monitoring software they use though.

Uaellaen
01-28-2010, 06:00 AM
naw usualy only ports monitored ... both use the TCP standard and both use encrypted connections

sinni800
01-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Dude. Stop bashing Microsoft. Don't you see the gridlines start with the VNC Window INSIDE Remote Desktop?

Oh of course, it HAS to be Microsoft, LOL.

BTW: VNC does not mirror any 3D devices (wat?). It just renders locally and screenshots everything over and over. Or if you use display hook it polls through the driver directly. But still it will be only screencaps.

MS Remote Desktop does it somehow different, I really can't describe. It literally builds up the desktop in front of you and everything. It's crazy. RDP is superior to everything. Nothing can touch it.

Rogean
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm sure if the software developers had the same type of access to the operating system's internal functions they could make something as good as RDP, but thats just the advantage of something being integrated into Windows, they can make any changes they need to inside the OS itself and be the only program hooking into them.

Sponge
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Dude. Stop bashing Microsoft. Don't you see the gridlines start with the VNC Window INSIDE Remote Desktop?

Oh of course, it HAS to be Microsoft, LOL.

It does look like that, but it is not VNC. The gridlines show up when I put RD into windowed mode, if VNC is running or not. Still H8 M$!!!!11

Uaellaen
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
then dont use MS if you hate it .. go play your games on mac ...

Onadan
01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
It does look like that, but it is not VNC. The gridlines show up when I put RD into windowed mode, if VNC is running or not. Still H8 M$!!!!11

You have an outdated RDP client. You are seeing the update grid the new term services uses to update the client.

Falisaty
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
, I'm just trying to go about this in a way that if I ever got caught, I'd only get a slap on the wrist, not lose my job.

well if you are afraid of losing your job i def would not attempt to play at work, however if you want to risk it Team Viewer is always a great idea its free and the connection is encrypted. and goes around all types of firewalls.

Bohh
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
What is the performance like on any of these setups?

I play from two locations. One location has by gaming computer -- it has no issues with eq. The other location is a netbook. I can play EQ on it, but have to turn a lot of the settings off and turn the resolution WAY down.

Question is, if I connect to my gaming PC from the netbook to play, would I be taking advantage of the "stronger" machine? Or would I still be at a disadvantage because it's a netbook?

Thanks!

Uaellaen
01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
no advantage realy no .. since with RDP its still rendered localy ... with VNC you have a higher latency ... both are prolly not playable in a group enviorment

Deanob
01-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm sure if the software developers had the same type of access to the operating system's internal functions they could make something as good as RDP, but thats just the advantage of something being integrated into Windows, they can make any changes they need to inside the OS itself and be the only program hooking into them.

Thats called PC by IP ;)

Sponge
01-29-2010, 01:44 AM
What is the performance like on any of these setups?
You mean EQ through a remote desktop client? Terrible. 1 fps if you're lucky. It could only be used to like.. buff people.. teleport.. tradeskill. Anything that requires movement would be very difficult.

then dont use MS if you hate it .. go play your games on mac ...

Just because I hate Microsoft it doesn't mean that I shouldn't use it. It's just like getting an old cheeseburger from McDonalds. It makes me complain openly about them, hate them even more, but it is food, that is cheap, and I'm hungry.

Also about the gridlines, I know that I need to update the client to get rid of them. That's impossible for me to do. Why? I'd have to ERD the computer to get admin rights, then install a non approved update which would throw up red flags to the software team when they realize I have an incorrect version of remote desktop, that probably would have to be patched with further hot fixes. They would then explore how I even got that update, etc, and of course revert it. I'd have to clean my tracks, event viewer, whatever else there is.