PDA

View Full Version : Question about wisdom

Erati
01-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello,

This question could be really stupid or quite interested..(note I am 44 so if thats why my wisdom turning into mana is acting this way then let me know) but heres the situation

I am currently sitting here at 203 wisdom, so normally i thought im max'd and the 3 wis over 200 is only adding 3 mana....however if I take off my 3 wis earing to drop to 200 wis, the earing actually added 16 mana and not 3.....also if i take my my split paw gloves and go from 203-201 the gloves added 10 mana not the expected 2.......if i put on my lizardcale mantle and go from 203-206 I gain 7 mana, so I am pretty confused about how this works and wondering if our forumla is different here

anyone know whats goin on here and whats the actual formula or real cap at play here....or is it bc im 44

Thanks, sorry if I made anyone's head hurt reading this haha

Hasbinbad
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
It all depends on whether or not you're in the tunnel. If so, you need a wisdom buff and a shield.

Thank you, that is all.

Droxx
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm slightly confused as well, being that at level 50, 9 wis =/= 90 mana when under 200 wisdom, as I remember it being. I also recall 201-255 being 1 mana per point as well.

drplump
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
180 wisdom is fine dude but you need more HP and AC or your gonna get tore up!

guineapig
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Mana calculator:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-.../manacalc.html

-------------------------------------------------
CALCULATIONS: (for ease of reading I only added WI to the equation but the INT calculations should be the same.)

Below 200 WI/INT:

Mana = ( [ 850 * level ] + [ 85 * WI * level ] ) / 425

This can be simplified to: (WI+10)*level/5

Above 200 WI/INT:

Mana = ( [ 11250 * level ] + [ 33 * WI * level ] ) / 425

As far as being exactly at 200, I'm not sure if it falls in the below or above category. I've heard conflicting things.

vageta31
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Seems the mana calculator works fine for below 200, but after 200 its a different calculation. I've heard from others as well that they are still getting good mana when over 200 wis/int whereas normally you shouldn't. I believe in Kunark or Velious they changed this so that you weren't wasting the extra wis/int since there were so many new items pushing you well beyond the soft cap. Most likely what is happening is they are using a non-classic mana calculation.

I personally have the Velious UI going so I can't even tell how much mana I have except for how much the bar moves when casting big spells. I love the UI, just wish I knew how to add an actual mana value to it.

guineapig
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Seems the mana calculator works fine for below 200, but after 200 its a different calculation. I've heard from others as well that they are still getting good mana when over 200 wis/int whereas normally you shouldn't. I believe in Kunark or Velious they changed this so that you weren't wasting the extra wis/int since there were so many new items pushing you well beyond the soft cap. Most likely what is happening is they are using a non-classic mana calculation.

I personally have the Velious UI going so I can't even tell how much mana I have except for how much the bar moves when casting big spells. I love the UI, just wish I knew how to add an actual mana value to it.

Hmm, all I know is that from 200-255 on classic you should only be getting 1 mana per int (or wisdom) above 200. Soft cap was raised in Kunark but I'm not certain by how much. Velious might also have seen some changes, I haven't done the research.

The default UI that comes with the game does show actual mana numbers so I can check this out when I get home. Now that I can boost my int to 207 (with Brilliance) I should be able to test it out pretty easily.

I'll get back to you.

Erati
01-28-2010, 06:05 PM
yeah whatever is going on the cap for int/wis seems to not be classic or this would be cut and dry, and int/wis past 200 you add is 1 mana, so either we need to get this changed or we need to figure out the actual mechanism of whats going on

i agree though it might be using a cap from a later expansion which makes sense

Uaellaen
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
that is due to the "diminishing returns" soft cap that was not added in EQ classic mostlikley ...

200+ the higher your wis goes, the lower the benefit ... but its slowly decreasing up to 255

Ektar
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
180 wisdom is fine dude but you need more HP and AC or your gonna get tore up!

this is not the question

Finawin
01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't recall it ever being 1/wis even past 200.

I know it was significantly less than pre 200, but not that drastically.

Erati
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
sorry Fin it was, I am not sure when the caps increased whether it was Velious or Kunark but it was common knowledge and before any cap increase when the cap was 200, any int/wis past that depending on class was = to + 1 mana

Uaellaen
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
yep i have to agree with erati ... and i think it was kunark that introduced softcaps

Malrubius
01-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah - it went up past +1 sometime after 1999...maybe it says *when* it went up in the patch notes somewhere?