PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up a noob War

Husk
12-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone !

I am new to P1999, and like most of you I used to play EQ back in the days. Thought I started with Kunark.
I am now playing a lvl 10 dwarf warrior and mainly grouping in Crushbone for now. I have two newb questions to the more experienced classic players :
1) Where should I go hunt after Crushbone ?
2) What is the best way to equip my war ? Some nice people gave me a few pieces of bronze armor and the rest is cloth. I have about 30 pp in bank and wondering what I should do, as I understand warriors are very dependant on gear. Should I train blacksmith ? Is it worth it ?

Cheers !
Husk

Rahnza
12-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Try to get a full set of handout bronze and save your plat. The most important gear for a war are weapons that hold aggro. Your first options are obsidian shards (proc at 16 300-400 plat) or gnoll hide lariats (proc at 20, fairly cheap)

Husk
12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the advice :)

/ooc Looking for handout bronze armor !! :)

Chanus
12-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't advise begging. People tend to not like it when you beg.

Chanus
12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Smithing can get you Banded Armor, which is decent enough until you're high enough to get your own Bronze through mob drops. Start by sharpening rusty weapons (Sharpening Stone + Rusty Weapon in a Forge), then move on to making Studs (which you can also use to skill up Tailoring with Medium Quality pelts if you like). EQTraders.com has some decent skillup guides... just be aware that not all recipes are available in Classic (like using your tarnished weapons to make pieces of ore and the dairy spoon skillup path).

Alkorin
12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
If I can offer you one piece of advice, it's this: Once you hit 20 (or is it 25?), use Gnoll Hide Lariats when you're tanking. Yes, you will not hit for much. Yes, people will laugh when you crit for 2 damage. However, very few weapons are available to us that beat out a simple stun proc, and Lariats are cheap to boot. Heck, if I see you online, I'll give you two.

I used at least one Lariat well into 50. It works just fine, even if it looks gimp.

karsten
12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
noobs should gear up only for PEACE!

omg guys, did you see what i did there

Yak
12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Question about obsidian shard. It says that you need to level 16 for the obsidian shatter to proc. Is that just for the effect or do you need to be level 16 to equip the sword?

Extunarian
12-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Just for the proc. I don't think there are any level requirements on any classic items as far as simply equipping them goes.

Rhambuk
Question about obsidian shard. It says that you need to level 16 for the obsidian shatter to proc. Is that just for the effect or do you need to be level 16 to equip the sword?

Just for the item to proc, you can equip any piece of gear at lvl 1 but effects are level based.

Yak
Sweet, that rocks!!!!

Dantes
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
You need to be level 16 to use the proc, but you can equip the Obsidian Shard at any level. The same goes for anything that procs.

Husk - Even before the Obsidian Shard, you might consider a Polished Granite Tomahawk. They produce pretty decent aggro when they proc too. Like a passive heal AE aggro, and they start to proc at level 10. Plus they are only 75-125pp vs the 400-500 for a shard. For a good cheap (sometimes free) offhander you might consider a Shield of the Slain Unicorn at level 13.

Other than that just start filling your spots with AC. Your secondary goal for stats on your items should be DEX, so those weapons will proc more often.

Yak
12-28-2010, 12:59 PM
For starting stats would you put it all into Dex and Agl then?

LevinJ
12-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Once you are in the upper teens in levels you can hunt in Unrest. While in Crushbone, focus on doing what you can with your gear (ex: get that str bracer off warlord, maybe a crush tunic, etc).

Once in Unrest you can again focus on gearing up. Undead there randomly drop bronze armor. Bloodstained shoulders are some of the best shoulders in classic and drop there. The 5ac 3str ring off the undead ghost drops there and high levels farming his rare drop will often sell it cheap (even in EC it only sells for 50pp). Bronze armor is not shabby - my cleric is very twinked, and the slots I haven't filled yet have bronze armor in them. The comments about tentacle whips are pretty spot on - and they also drop in unrest off mobs in the basement. It also doesn't hurt to keep a 2hander in stock incase you join a group where extra dps is needed. I recommend Executioner's Axe - guk is so overfarmed that the market is saturated with them and they are cheap to come by.

Yak
12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Any advice for starting stats/race?

Estu
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Any advice for starting stats/race?

OGR is pretty much the best warrior race because of their ridiculous stats and slam ability and frontal melee stun immunity. I'd go all DEX for the stats since their STR and STA is so high. Personally, though, I went halfling for my warrior. Their stats aren't actually that abysmal (they start off with high DEX and AGI) and halflings are my favorite race. Ultimately you can get huge stat gear and buffs for the more serious fights anyway.

Chanus
12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Halfling Warriors get the most XP bonus as well.

Gorgetrapper
12-28-2010, 04:14 PM

XP bonus does nothing in the long run. When you hit 50, you're pretty much done. The pros and cons are far too.. wide. Ogre is far superior in ways of stats and racial abilities. (I don't remember where I saw it, but Ogres get the most stat points in the game compared to any other race).

However, being an ogre sucks without shrink. That's about it.

Yak
12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Awesome guys, great advice!!! I want to make a warrior ALT at some point. Good to know the Ogre abilities outweigh the Troll.

karsten
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
yak you need to stop posting

Holey
12-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Orr if your on later on tonight when i get home from work, i can give you some more bronze? :D

Holey
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Awesome guys, great advice!!! I want to make a warrior ALT at some point. Good to know the Ogre abilities outweigh the Troll.
Front stun is better than regen

Yak
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
yak you need to stop posting

They don't call me Yakety Yak for nothing. :D

Glorfinrod
12-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I read on here somewhere the ogre frontal stun immunity is broken. Is that true? Was it true and now fixed? Or was it never true?

Yak
12-28-2010, 05:04 PM
There have been several threads about Ogre stun and to my knowledge is it working.

Estu
12-28-2010, 05:08 PM

That doesn't really matter much in large groups since EXP bonuses/penalties are shared, though; it would make more of a difference if you were soloing (which warriors can't do effectively).

Jadian
12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I gotta admit I was hoping this thread was going to be about some noobs gearing up for a war with each other.