PDA

View Full Version : [Department of Fun] presents the Rivervale Alleycat Race! FRIDAY, June 10, 8PM EST

Sorn
05-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Aren't we about due for another one of the DoF's super fun player-run events? Yes, yes we are.

I'm putting the important info in the front, guys!

The Department of Fun
presents
The Rivervale Alleycat Race

WHEN THE RACE STARTS: Friday, June 10, 8PM EST
MEET-UP LOCATION: with Tadhg at the PoD in Rivervale
WHAT TO ROLL: lvl 1 halfling rogue
WHEN COMPETITORS SHOULD SHOW UP: 10 minutes prior, especially if you need a refresher course on hide/sneak. We will be writing names down so we don't confuse you with real lvl 1 halfling rogues who aren't doing crazy things.
WHEN VOLUNTEERS SHOULD SHOW UP: 20 minutes prior - know the race course beforehand, please! I will need my sower, binder, and finish line watchers in my group specifically. PLEASE have some form of see invis available to you! Clickies, worn, spells, songs, I don't care.

Race course preview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGQvjqdVjM) (it's a video, click the link!)
(Disclaimer: course preview not an accurate reflection of mob positions during actual race, and route taken is neither slowest nor fastest possible)

Official stream: http://www.twitch.tv/p99dof

Prizes!
1st place: Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
2nd place: First pick of 5 items from the DoF grab bag
3rd place: Second pick of 3 items from the DoF grab bag
Finished (participated): 1 item from the grab bag (picked in order of finishing)
Dead F*cking Last: It's a surprise!
Bonus for the first person to beat the best time made by DoF course testers (25m 29s): Free JBoots MQ

BUT SORN, I WANT TO HELP OUT: DoF is seeking pacers and finish line watchers for this event! Come help me so I don't have to be in several places at once! Report about 20 minutes before race starts. (You can also advertise in the hour leading up to the event in whatever zone you're in.)

BUT SORN, I WANT TO RUN THE RACE FOR FUN BUT I WANT THE PRIZES TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO REALLY NEEDS THEM: No problem, you can opt out of prizes provided you tell us beforehand. Please note that this means ALL prizes, including the JBoots MQ offered as a bonus. If you have the ninja skills to beat my fastest tester and are so rich you don't care about the prizes, you can get your own JBoots.

BUT SORN, I WANT TO DONATE TO THE GRAB BAG/DoF: Contact me, Afeni, or Expediency regarding donations.

BUT SORN, I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN ALLEYCAT RACE IS: An alleycat race in the real world is essentially an unsanctioned or informal bicycle race, often organized and undertaken by bike messengers. There are no official safety precautions taken, no roads closed off for it. The emphasis is on participation rather than competition, with prizes often awarded to last place (occasionally called Dead F*cking Last, or DFL, like in our race).

Unlike real life, this race has no checkpoints or scavenger hunt style, and we're totally okay if you die (repeatedly) during the race.

RULES/FACTS

1. Must be lvl 1 halfling rogue with appropriate name that won't make staff want to ban you (fun suggestions: forrestgunk, hairyfootsies, runsforelevenses, preciousssss, smaugbait)
2. You can only have the two beneficial spells provided in the course of the race - frankly, you don't need anything else because the course can be completed well under 30 minutes with nothing if you're smart about it.
2a. The first beneficial spell is a SoW at the farm in EK (#5 on the map). Yes, I know it's a gamble. It's supposed to be. No, I'm not telling you the best way to get there.
2b. The second beneficial spell is a bind at high keep. It's 2 zones and spell time right before Kithicor Forest, so choose wisely.
3. You get a prize if you finish, no matter what. If you don't finish, you're dead to me. You can pick your prize based on order of finishing.
4. Last place gets a special prize, but it's not gonna be that awesome so don't try to vie for last place.
5. No lawyerquesting/drama. Play nice! Never let it get to RnF levels.
6. Pre-race taunting and insults allowed.

THE COURSE
Rivervale (PoD) > Misty Thicket > Runnyeye Citadel > Gorge of King Xorbb > Eastern Karana (SoW available at #5 on the map) > Highpass Hold (bind available in the keep) > Kithicor Forest > Rivervale (Zone-in)

THIS COURSE CAN BE COMPLETED BY EVERYONE USING HIDE/SNEAK. It likely won't take much more than an hour to an hour and a half for the slowest runner.

How we're dealing with finishing: Ideally I'll have 2 watchers on either side of the zoneline to take into account close finishes but poor zoning times, but if I don't have 2, whoever zones through first and can hail the watcher will win. This scenario goes for if I have 2 but competitors have to train the Kith watcher with undead.

Regarding finish times: With sow and invis, it takes me ~15min to complete this course. If I see times under 20 minutes and pacers can't verify you were racing the whole time without extra buffs, I'm going to DQ you for potential cheating. If you're doing something crazy like blitzing through Runnyeye or the gorge, PLEASE tell a volunteer. If you're lost for too long, call for help and I'll see if we can get you back on course.

If you have any questions, please post here!

Credits
Concept: Bailar
Testers: Bailar, Fox, Aalderon, Expediency

And many thanks to all our lovely, generous donators. To the one who donated 3k, you funded the first place prize :)

See you at the starting line!

Nirgon
05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
many of these names contain pop culture references and violate the naming policy

more events like this pls

Baler
05-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Sounds like fun.

I had a hard time following the direction in text so I made a map. Hopefully it's okay that I share this.

http://i.imgur.com/Ny4HAe8.jpg

Sorn
05-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Sounds like fun.

I had a hard time following the direction in text so I made a map. Hopefully it's okay that I share this.

No problem! That's part of why I made the course preview video. There are a few route variations one can try that are faster than other routes, but I'll leave that up to the runners to figure out :)

It's definitely fun. So fun that I think most of my testers/volunteers want to abandon me to run the race themselves =\

Vilkata
05-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Ive farmed a lot of items again. Let me know if you want any for prizes.

EQBallzz
05-24-2016, 02:27 PM
This looks awesome. Will definitely be there!

Expediency
05-24-2016, 03:04 PM
This looks great! Ill be there helping or competing

applesauce25r624
05-24-2016, 04:26 PM
should start the race at a time when it will hit nighttime approx 5 mins before the first people reach kithicor

undead love juicy halflings

Reece15
05-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Lol will be entertaining to watch.

Sorn
05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Ive farmed a lot of items again. Let me know if you want any for prizes.

I'll get back to you once I have an inventory of all our stuff because we've got a ton. You can do an inventory of yours if you want with /output inventory filename.txt

should start the race at a time when it will hit nighttime approx 5 mins before the first people reach kithicor

undead love juicy halflings

I'm pretty sure at some point during the race there will be undead in Kithicor.

Tupakk
05-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Bump

jcbbjjttt
05-27-2016, 12:20 AM
Prize pool is growing! Today I donated quite a few items.

Donated a Wurmslayer (http://wiki.project1999.com/Wurmslayer)
Donated a Black Sapphire Electrum Earring (http://wiki.project1999.com/Black_Sapphire_Electrum_Earring)
Donated 2x Forest Loop (http://wiki.project1999.com/Forest_Loop)
Donated Golden Efreeti Boots (http://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Efreeti_Boots)
Donated a Golden Black Sapphire Earring (http://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Black_Sapphire_Earring)
Donated a Mithril Two-Handed Sword (http://wiki.project1999.com/Mithril_Two-Handed_Sword)
Donated 4x Velium Fire Wedding Ring (http://wiki.project1999.com/Velium_Fire_Wedding_Ring)s
Donated 4x Imbued Platinum Fire Ring (http://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Platinum_Fire_Ring)s

Sorn
05-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Still seeking volunteers!

Pacers, people who run alongside runners and report progress to me.

Finish-line watchers, people who are on either side of the last zoneline to watch who zones in first and document the order for me.

I've got things planned for the stream. It's gonna be oodles of fun! I've also had to start an inventory of all the prizes. When that's complete, expect a post detailing the contents of the grab bag here!

Kaffee
05-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Bump! I donated time to the last event, the Scavenger Hunt in GFay. This is well worth the effort!

Zekayy
05-31-2016, 02:18 PM
What about youtubers that want to catch the race on video is that alright?

Zekayy
05-31-2016, 02:21 PM
Also I would like to be a sower :)

Tupakk
05-31-2016, 02:26 PM

We would hope to see some of the video makes of P99 out and about. I know there are a few.

We would love to see you guys out and about filming this.
I'll pay 1k pp for a decent video that encompasses the race and what DoF is all about.

And Zekay talk to Tadhg in game she will give you more details if there is any.

Sorn
05-31-2016, 02:31 PM

Also I would like to be a sower :)

Yes, all other streamers/videographers are welcome! This kind of event needs multiple PoVs.

I'll be more present in-game next week if you want to chat, but otherwise just make sure you show up 20 minutes beforehand by the PoD in Rivervale (or nearby if you're KoS) and you'll get the lowdown of where to go and what to expect.

Zekayy
05-31-2016, 04:04 PM
We would hope to see some of the video makes of P99 out and about. I know there are a few.

I'll pay 1k pp for a decent video that encompasses the race and what DoF is all about.

And Zekay talk to Tadhg in game she will give you more details if there is any.

Lucky for you guys I am a youtuber :)

Zekayy
05-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Yes, all other streamers/videographers are welcome! This kind of event needs multiple PoVs.

I'll be more present in-game next week if you want to chat, but otherwise just make sure you show up 20 minutes beforehand by the PoD in Rivervale (or nearby if you're KoS) and you'll get the lowdown of where to go and what to expect.

Will do :) Thanks

Sorn
06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Bump!

Disclaimer: The Department of Fun does not provide chocobo for this race due to chocobo not existing outside of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Tupakk
06-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Bump because there isn't anything else interesting going on , on the forums.

utenan
06-05-2016, 04:10 PM
by the flames of the Burning Prince's fiery war lance I WILL... hm nevermind. bump for fun things!

Tupakk
06-05-2016, 04:13 PM

I'll pay 1k pp for a decent video that encompasses the race and what DoF is all about!

by the flames of the Burning Prince's fiery war lance I WILL... hm nevermind. bump for fun things!

@utenan this applies to you as well.

Sorn
06-07-2016, 02:44 AM

"So what did you do this morning, Sorn?"

"Oh I just redesigned the DoF stream so it's all blazing neon colors."

Why neon? Because I hate racing checkers, which were part of the original design for this next event before I came to my senses.

/bump

Sorn
06-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Here, in no particular order, is the complete grab bag of things we have available as prizes for this event. All items are donated by the community.

Velium Fire Wedding Ring
Velium Fire Wedding Ring
Velium Fire Wedding Ring
Velium Fire Wedding Ring
Forest Loop
Forest Loop
Hammer of Rage
Imbued Platinum Fire Ring
Wurmslayer
Sebilite Scale Leggings
Mithril Vambraces
Crustacean Shell Gauntlets
Crustacean Shell Boots
Crustacean Shell Greaves
Golden Black Sapphire Earring
Black Sapphire Electrum Earring
A Mithril Two-Handed Sword
Golden Efreeti Boots
Earring of Fire Reflection
Sphinx Crown
Sarnak-Hide Mask
Earring of Disease Reflection
Earring of Disease Reflection
Azure Sleeves
Mammoth Hide Cloak
Wolf's Eye Golden Bracelet
Firerune Brand
Moonstone Ring
Burynai Hide Pants
Shralok Pack
Executioners Hood
Kromzek Surveyor Scope
Flayed Skin Bracers
Flayed Skin Bracers
Flayed Skin Bracers
Earring of Frost Reflection
Flayed Skin Cap
Star Ruby
Slime Coated Harpoon
Lionhide Backpack
Flayed Skin Sleeves
Glowing Velium Axe
Flayed Skin Leggings
Ruby
Bladesman's Axe
Hand Made Backpack
Cone of the Mystics
Kromzek Foreman Helm
Nature's Wrath
Blackjack
Sword of Skyfire
Dwarven Sap
Sword of the Morning
Silver-Plated Bracer
Cane of the Tranquil
Knuckle Dusters
Ornate Rune Shield
Phase Spider Blood
Archeologist Pack
Mrylokar's Gift
Totemic Breastplate
Black Pantherskin Cloak
Flayed Skin Tunic
Deathbringer's Rod
Bladesman's Sword
Sathir's Wand
Velium Two Handed Sword
Black Pantherskin Sleeves

Sorn
06-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Oh hey, this is tomorrow!

utenan
06-09-2016, 05:10 PM
The most circular route in all of Norrath
http://i.imgur.com/fwOPitV.jpg
I can't wait to see how people try to accomplish this : D

Tupakk
06-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Tighten up your Bootstraps , cause were RACING TODAY!!

Sorn
06-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Got more stuff for the grab bag! (note: the number of crusty armor pieces means I have 2 almost full sets of crusty total)

Rose Platinum Engagement Ring
Rose Platinum Engagement Ring
Cane of Harmony
Stein of Moggok
Sheer Bone Mask
Crustacean Shell Boots
Crustacean Shell Breastplate
Crustacean Shell Breastplate
Crustacean Shell Helm
Crustacean Shell Helm
Crustacean Shell Vambraces
Crustacean Shell Vambraces
Crustacean Shell Greaves
Crustacean Shell Gauntlets

Expediency
06-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Ill be there! should show up right at 8.

Sorn
06-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Our JBoots MQ donator is armed and ready to MQ.

Reminders!

Competitors, please be there by 7:50pm EST. I need to explain a few things and get everyone's names down for prizes/opt-outs.

Volunteers, please be there by 7:40pm EST so I can assign positions and explain volunteer-y things.

Expediency
06-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Race has started! May the best halfling win

EQBallzz
06-10-2016, 11:16 PM
That was a lot of fun. Thanks for hosting this. We had two Vitans in the race and both got in the top 5! Gratz to all the winners. Everyone was a winner (except Gimpyfoot). My condolences to the hairy, gimpy foot of Gimpyfoot.

Sorn
06-10-2016, 11:58 PM
TIMES! (these might be a little iffy but they are approximate and the best I could do in the chaos)

Also, we stopped the two who died near the end, so they wouldn't be stuck playing for hours trying to finish.

Slampig: 21m 07 (donated first place prize and jboots - jboots went to last place)
Peat: 23m 38s
Whitfoot (opt out): 23m 40s
Eavesdropper: 29m 10s
Vitaftw: 32m 30s
Haryharyhaffers: 38m 27s
Shortrunner: 1h 13m 27s
Searrun: 1h 31m 29s
Weezledub 1h 31m 46s
Benjyboo: second to last to die, called back to PoD
Gimpyfoot: last to die, called back to PoD, awarded JBoots

I am NOT sure if Benjyboo got his prize.

Twitch decided to be a butt at the beginning, so I only started the stream about halfway through and I didn't do the cool radio show I was hoping to do, alas! But we managed to get the main part done and there was fun all around.

Kongal
06-10-2016, 11:59 PM
cool event

Vilkata
06-11-2016, 12:05 AM
sorry I missed the event, was raiding. Grats to all the winners and cheers to the organizers.

Sorn
06-11-2016, 12:19 AM
I highlighted the whole messy production against Twitch's advice. Here's the video! (https://www.twitch.tv/p99dof/v/71764924)

Thanks to the following volunteers:
Afeni
Aalderon
Expediency
Mashiara
Kraddok
Kaffee
Fox
Bailar

and thanks to all the people who showed up at the start and ran for a bit, even if you didn't finish :)

Eresimus
06-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Had a blast, but I should clarify the "last to die" thing... I died no fewer than 8 times, along with two client crashes while zoning (and one full computer restart) - never got anywhere near High Pass. And I was so sure that I was going to do well! If they hadn't reeled me in, I'd still be bumbling around in the Gorge of King Xorbb.

This might surprise you all, but I've actually never played a rogue before...:p But you can bet that I'm going to level that brave little guy all the way to 20 so he can get the last name he deserves.

~Gimpyfoot Deadlast~

Sorn
06-11-2016, 01:12 AM
Here's Foxplay's video (https://www.twitch.tv/foxplayspottyfox/v/71730152) (temporarily archived, twitch will delete it in about two weeks), if you want to see a dog sitting in a pen for like an hour and a half (sorry for all the boring assignments, volunteers).

Had a blast, but I should clarify the "last to die" thing... I died no fewer than 8 times, along with two client crashes while zoning (and one full computer restart) - never got anywhere near High Pass. And I was so sure that I was going to do well! If they hadn't reeled me in, I'd still be bumbling around in the Gorge of King Xorbb.

This might surprise you all, but I've actually never played a rogue before...:p But you can bet that I'm going to level that brave little guy all the way to 20 so he can get the last name he deserves.

~Gimpyfoot Deadlast~

Bahahaha!

We may be sadistic here at the DoF but we're not evil.

We ended up watching the newbie spawn point and pulled people in when it was close to two hours because forcing anyone to run in a circle for more than two hours is just cruel.

Pokesan
06-11-2016, 01:21 AM
sadly i was eaten by a wolf shortly after the race began

classic

Aandolaf
06-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Had a lot of fun in the race / preparing my hobbit speed strats, thanks a lot for putting this on! Looking forward to future events!

Foxplay
06-11-2016, 03:52 AM
A fun race, Although I feel the competitors lucked out alot in that both the gnoll's and orcs where being killed in Highpass, thus removing an entire sneak / hide segment. Althou big gratz to Slampig for beating my time by a healthy 4minutes by bravely gunning it straight across EK for sow, a huge risk considering the amount of wolves and griffans that randomly path

Cyphren
06-11-2016, 04:56 AM
I highlighted the whole messy production against Twitch's advice. Here's the video! (https://www.twitch.tv/p99dof/v/71764924)

Thanks to the following volunteers:
Afeni
Aalderon
Expediency
Mashiara
Kraddok
Kaffee
Fox
Bailar

and thanks to all the people who showed up at the start and ran for a bit, even if you didn't finish :)

Thank you to all the volunteers! Especially that poor soul stuck in HHK. :)

Had a blast and hope to volunteer whenever I have a character high enough to help if you all would let me. :p

utenan
06-14-2016, 11:41 PM
oops I made a thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7G8nWYz5so

EQBallzz
06-15-2016, 01:15 AM
That was great. Nice video.