PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point to water pet pre 50?

Safon
05-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Earth is the tank/rooter, fire seems to be the agreed upon best choice for it's DS, and air is good for fighting caster mobs with it's stun.

What's water's thing?

Webeporting
05-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Water is highest dps

Messianic
05-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Also poison immune IIRC

Swish
05-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Water pets best pets

Reece15
05-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Water is highest dps

Evia
05-25-2016, 12:31 AM
Water pets best pets

Muggens
05-25-2016, 04:29 AM
I believe most magicians use water pets when soloing

Baler
05-25-2016, 08:25 AM
All of the magician's pets fill a certain role. They are the extension of his powers that he does not personally get himself. Learn to manipulate these roles properly and you will unlock the mages true potential.

maskedmelon
05-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Water is highest dps

In case this wasn't already made clear ^^

Baler
05-25-2016, 08:56 AM
The best part is that no one explains or gives real proof.

Troxx
05-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Early in the game:

All pets have comparable melee (fire melee damage is lower though)
-Earth has highest hp and casts a damage-less nuke
-Water has 2nd highest hp and casts a nuke ... paired with higher melee dps it will out dps the others
-Air has the 3rd highest hp and casts a damage-less stun ... no more or less dps than earth
-Fire has the lowest hp and the weakest damage output (no kick/bash) but casts a pretty good nuke on top of an overpowered self damage shield. Not tanking it's dps is worse than the water and maybe as good as air/earth (not sure if parsed). While tanking it will run circles in damage output over the other pets.

Early on?
Water will do the most dps in a group. It's a nice mix of dps and survivability
Earth is the tankiest
Air is meh unless you need stun ... and even then meh
Fire is not great for groups, it has low HP but is excellent for soloing

At high levels water gets backstab, air gets a nuke component to stun, earth tanks like a beast.

When in doubt, all the specifics can be found here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide

azeth
05-25-2016, 09:19 AM
as soon as you can chain pet, chain pet with fire to Dyzzils Deafening Decoy. Then chain with that to 60.

end.

mr_jon3s
05-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Early in the game:

-Earth has highest hp and casts a damage-less nuke
-Water has 2nd highest hp and casts a nuke ... paired with higher melee dps it will out dps the others
-Air has the 3rd highest hp and casts a damage-less stun ... no more or less dps than earth
-Fire has the lowest hp and the weakest damage output (no kick/bash) but casts a pretty good nuke on top of an overpowered self damage shield. Not tanking it's dps is worse than the water and maybe as good as air/earth (not sure if parsed). While tanking it will run circles in damage output over the other pets.

Early on?
Water will do the most dps in a group. It's a nice mix of dps and survivability
Earth is the tankiest
Air is meh unless you need stun ... and even then meh
Fire is not great for groups, it has low HP but is excellent for soloing

At high levels water gets backstab, air gets a nuke component to stun, earth tanks like a beast.

When in doubt, all the specifics can be found here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide

Don't forget high level air pet has a monk like kick that hits for high damage. Fire pet is just trash after the 49 one.

Troxx
05-25-2016, 10:00 AM
A common misconception is that the monk pets (air or skeleton for necro) is imbued with tanking bonuses via evasion like the monk class.

This assumption is patently false but was widely believed on live EQ servers up to 2015.

I parsed it extensively on live. The avoidance on the pets of various summon types is identical. Earth on live does have the highest innate ac and fire the lowest, but their mitigation was shockingly similar, especially if given gear or ac buffed.

From a tanking perspective, the only practical difference between the pet types is the HP pool (which is substantial).

I figure p99 is similar to live. Unless the devs specifically coded difference in the per pet summon per level_summon (I bet they didn't), the air pet is not going to avoid better.

The air pet WILL stun the mob from time to time which WILL result in fewer melee rounds from the opponent.

But air pet does not avoid (dodge/parry/block/whatever) better.

This is and was easily parsed on live and could be here as well. On live it was really easy to parse because you could turn off all filters, engage with pet, pet back off and hold and let the mercenary (or 2-3) heal the pet for hours. Repeat the process with all 4 pet archetypes and it was shocking to see that they all mitigated about the same, and avoided about the same.

Pets behave like npcs ... it's why they benefit from given gear and buffs so much more than players. There are no hard or soft caps for shit like ac.

EDIT: project99 may function very differently than live eq with pet aas. It was found that WHAT made pets such overpowered tanks was the interaction of their base stats as summoned, amplified by gear given and buffs, and turbo-amplified by the pet defensive/avoidance lines of aa's that made pets tank like monsters. Up until I parsed it (in 2015) and posted a bunch of shit on SoE live forums (yeah that guy was me for any that played at the time) - a group focused pet would mitigate/tank circles around raid geared warriors cycling their disciplines. It was ultimately determined (and later fixed/nerfed) that the breakdown in the system was the aa lines for bolstering pets.

It is possible that aa's are responsible for all pets avoiding the same on live in 2015, but I doubt it.

All said, easy to parse for a mage who wanted to actually figure out how it works server-side here.

Thugnuts
05-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Assuming you have focus items:

- Water pet is best solo pet until middle levels, imo. Great dps, very good survivability. IIRC, they also regenerate their hit points faster than the other pets.

- When you hit mid levels and chain casting pets becomes viable mana-wise, switch to fire pet and chain them. Just make sure you give each pet enough time to DS itself.

- From 49+, Earth pet for soloing is my favorite. The fire pets after 49 are shite. The survivability of the earth pet is awesome at high levels, the damage shields you have by then are cheap on mana, and they hit hard. Use a burnt wood staff for late 40's and early 50's, maybe dump one of your high damage regular nukes as well, and you get full xp.

- For grouping 50+, I use earth if my pet will need to take some hits. If I'm in a group with various meat shields taking all the damage, I use the water pet and position him behind mobs so that he can backstab.

mr_jon3s
05-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Assuming you have focus items:

- Water pet is best solo pet until middle levels, imo. Great dps, very good survivability. IIRC, they also regenerate their hit points faster than the other pets.

As someone who played a mage I feel fire was the best solo leveling pet. The DS counts as neutral damage which means you could get away with nuking less to do the required 51% damage to the mob to get full exp.

Baler
05-26-2016, 01:24 AM
I used earth pet buffed up till level 24, switched to fire pet chaining and never looked back. I didn't have the focus items for 50's pets so I just chained Monster Summoning II. At 56 Dyzil's Deafening Decoy is legit for soloing. Otherwise in a group I'd use a 54 Water Pet for it's back stab.

The way I look at mage is you can Plvl yourself. Why give away exp?
Find an enchanter who is willing to hit you with clarity while you both solo in nearby but separate locations. ;)

Edit: Earth pet is the only way for the magicians to root (without 1 charge clickies)

iruinedyourday
05-26-2016, 01:50 AM
All of the magician's pets fill a certain role. They are the extension of his powers that he does not personally get himself. Learn to manipulate these roles properly and you will unlock the mages true potential.

I got a good laugh outa this

Baler
05-26-2016, 02:28 AM
I got a good laugh outa this

Pay no attention to this bard.
He is borderline ignore list. Since I first joined the community.

iruinedyourday
05-26-2016, 03:09 AM
7k posts and you're borderline, I'd say you made the decision long ago.

Heavydrop
05-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Early in the game:

I have not found this to be true.
They all do the same melee damage, depending on the level of each individual pet as they vary per summon.

Personally, I like having all the tools available for whatever situation may arise therefore I use whatever pet fits the situation best.

SamwiseRed
05-27-2016, 09:43 PM
I like the air pet in groups, especially 50+. Don't have to worry about positioning and its a freakin monk. It will out dps most pre 55 rogues (not sure with velly gear.)

Skosh
05-28-2016, 02:09 AM
The fire pet has abysmally low hit points from 4-20, even with a focus item. The earth and air pets do a better job of tanking but the water pet does the best job in that level range in my humble opinion. You can flame shield it, toss a low level nuke to pull, send this thing in to intercept, and easily do the damage you need to via spells to get full exp without the enemy ever turning on you. Until you get to the point of chain casting with the fire pet in a comfortable way, Water gets the job done best.

Victorio
05-28-2016, 02:23 AM
I have not found this to be true.
They all do the same melee damage, depending on the level of each individual pet as they vary per summon.

You didn't notice leveling up that fire pets are always the first to go green? And they got melee skills later / missed some skills?

If you find the average melee damage output from a large sample of fire pets from the same spell level and compare to a sample of water pets I guarantee fire is lower for any spell level.

azeth
05-28-2016, 06:39 AM
i guarantee fire is higher DPS when soloing given its innate damage shield