PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Spawn Variance That Has Never Been Suggested:

wwoneo
06-01-2016, 02:47 AM
How about removing variance, but have a server-wide announcement and possibly even a tracking list that shows when epic/raid mobs will spawn.

In this situation competition remains and everyone knows when a mob will spawn providing everyone with equal chances. What do you all think? Shitty idea, or brilliant?

TLDR; please remove variance. Thank you!

Daldaen
06-01-2016, 02:50 AM
I like the idea of server-wide announcements of spawns tbh, but I don't see them ever changing it :/.

wwoneo
06-01-2016, 02:51 AM
I like the idea of server-wide announcements of spawns tbh, but I don't see them ever changing it :/.

I still appreciate the feedback thanks!

Swish
06-01-2016, 07:50 AM
We didn't have it on live...

http://i.imgur.com/1gBWIug.gif

Sodors Finest Poster
06-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Best solution to avoid socking is to have all mobs which currently issue an FTE message with the ability to spawn anywhere in the world.

Vulak POP - Orc Hill in Gfay!
Trakanon POP! - near docks in Oasis!
Yelniak POP! - EC Tunnel

ect. ect.

renordw
06-01-2016, 08:54 AM
How can people play the raid scene here, after helping wait for a spawn for just a few hours once it made me quit for about a year. Not to get too philosophical on the subject, but this game took all the worst parts of EverQuest raiding and made them as bad as possible, i.e. you can't raid and have a life. People used to critique me for raiding back in the day, but now it's not just raiding, it's sitting. I'm just not quite ready to quit my job to camp VS for my epic. Etc

I agree with the poster above me, world spawns is a good medium ground.

diamondfist
06-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Best solution to avoid socking is to have all mobs which currently issue an FTE message with the ability to spawn anywhere in the world.

Vulak POP - Orc Hill in Gfay!
Trakanon POP! - near docks in Oasis!
Yelniak POP! - EC Tunnel

ect. ect.

With the idea of custom content to come later, was there ever discussion of when/what would occur?

I like the idea of world pops. But I like it more if it didnt say the exact location / zone but more of a general so its not just a race to get to x location, but its a race to find it.

Ikkitar the Venom has been spotted in Kunark
Talendor is terrorizing Odius
Vulak has acquired the taste for small races, and hunts them by their homes.

This is more of a general script that can be written with multiple locations per clue that is linked with a randomly picked mob spawn.

Would be like a GM event that wouldnt require more then a well written script to be enabled to spice things up.

The impact of this effecting lower levels would be small. With open announcements the target will be dead within a few hours. Not to mention even if you were new to the server, and a event went on and you ran into a dragon or raid mob, and ended up dieing. at least you felt like you experienced something unique. If you lived to see a 50+ high level people converge to slay the dragon it would be an inspiring fun event. Make the server more alive all over, then having select areas saturated.

This could be on a Timer to run once a week, a day, or even once the previous target has died.

Ravager
06-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Since any suggestion anyone makes won't ever be considered anyway, just make all raid mobs spawn in the arena.

zanderklocke
06-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Since any suggestion anyone makes won't ever be considered anyway, just make all raid mobs spawn in the arena.

This is actually a good idea.

Fryhole
06-01-2016, 11:11 AM
How can people play the raid scene here, after helping wait for a spawn for just a few hours once it made me quit for about a year. Not to get too philosophical on the subject, but this game took all the worst parts of EverQuest raiding and made them as bad as possible, i.e. you can't raid and have a life. People used to critique me for raiding back in the day, but now it's not just raiding, it's sitting. I'm just not quite ready to quit my job to camp VS for my epic. Etc

I agree with the poster above me, world spawns is a good medium ground.

It's like a Chinese finger trap - the less people trying to tag the spawns, the less need to sit around and attempt FTE. The more you try (tracking/camping) to get the spawn, the harder for all to get them. Either way you're trapped in a game where most of the ppl doing this have burned out.

Lojik
06-01-2016, 11:15 AM
I like 2 options:
1) 90% variance on ALL mobs. Makes pretty much all raid mobs always in window, and tracking becomes so tedious that people will quit pretty quick. At the moment getting people to track and race for relatively short periods on end gets rewarded, as people know there is a good chance their efforts will get rewarded. Trying to spread your crew out across Norrath for ~302 hour windows? You're gonna have a lot of people who put in time that gets wasted, and tracking will get old pretty quick. This also makes it harder for people to afk camp and lockdown good spawns across the world, and would make some camps less predictable. Also if people are gonna dedicate themselves to tracking/engaging raid mobs, they pretty much forfeit doing anything else in game

2) Raid mobs spawn on 1 day cycles, but with only 15% of the loot. More killing, same amount of loot in game. People get to see some content, but no loot inflation. Maybe even get rid of variance this way? IDK.

One thing I like about variance is it takes away a little bit of the information advantage players have over this period in live. IMO I just think it needs to be applied more broadly. The way it is now is almost like a half measure, <insert Mike Ehrmantrauthalfmeasure.gif>

Edit: I think there should also be an autoboot feature for afk over 30 minutes

Nirgon
06-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Option 1: GM enforced rotation
Option 2: shut da fuk up
Option 3: daybreak servers

this is not pointed at anyone in particular

Pokesan
06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Increase variance to break socking. One hope to heal our land.

renordw
06-01-2016, 02:15 PM
I like 2 options:
1) 90% variance on ALL mobs. Makes pretty much all raid mobs always in window, and tracking becomes so tedious that people will quit pretty quick. At the moment getting people to track and race for relatively short periods on end gets rewarded, as people know there is a good chance their efforts will get rewarded. Trying to spread your crew out across Norrath for ~302 hour windows? You're gonna have a lot of people who put in time that gets wasted, and tracking will get old pretty quick. This also makes it harder for people to afk camp and lockdown good spawns across the world, and would make some camps less predictable. Also if people are gonna dedicate themselves to tracking/engaging raid mobs, they pretty much forfeit doing anything else in game

2) Raid mobs spawn on 1 day cycles, but with only 15% of the loot. More killing, same amount of loot in game. People get to see some content, but no loot inflation. Maybe even get rid of variance this way? IDK.

One thing I like about variance is it takes away a little bit of the information advantage players have over this period in live. IMO I just think it needs to be applied more broadly. The way it is now is almost like a half measure, <insert Mike Ehrmantrauthalfmeasure.gif>

Edit: I think there should also be an autoboot feature for afk over 30 minutes

Yes. Either option. A+

Someone get this guy his own talk show

maskedmelon
06-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Just make bosses like any other names with placeholders and shorter static repops.